• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

SalvaPot

Its Kingdom Hearts U know my Feeling Felingly for Wii U, it is a sequel for KH 3 but also a prequel to KH1 for some reason and its releasing in 2015 and has a interactive painting minigame where your drawings come to life like deram

Squire

Banned
Director of SAGA (i.e. FF legend) series has been tweeting he was working on something for a long time, so this could be it.

Is this thread just ignoring the fact there's totally already a new FF Legend coming out for phones? Has this guy said that's not his thing?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
sörine;140588530 said:
Non DQ or FF Square Enix million sellers in Japan:

Chrono Trigger (SFC) 2,030,000
Seiken Densetsu 2 (SFC) 1,500,000
Romancing SaGa 3 (SFC) 1,300,000
Kingdom Hearts (PS2) 1,300,000
Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) 1,170,000
Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon (PS) 1,140,000
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) 1,130,000
Makaitoushi SaGa (GB) 1,100,000
SaGa Frontier (PS) 1,060000
Parasite Eve (PS) 1,060,000

They had so many winning series in the past, it's so sad to see their market now shrinking everyday more. If they're indeed making a game for PS4 and One, I can't see it being a SaGa game or titles that have irrelevant history and background in the west. If it's NOT a new IP, I say chances are it could be a Star Ocean, Valkirie Profile or Chrono just because they had a bit of presence here in the west. If it's a new IP, I'm seriously scared. S-E ain't no that good at that from a decade...

duckroll

Is this thread just ignoring the fact there's totally already a new FF Legend coming out for phones? Has this guy said that's not his thing?

FF Legend was only the English name for the first SaGa series in the US. It's completely different from the FF Legends series in Japan on mobile which is Tokita's baby. Nothing at all to do with Kawazu. The first FF Legends mobile game is called FF Dimensions in the US. Yes, it is very confusing. :p

caffeware

Banned
sörine;140588530 said:
Non DQ or FF Square Enix million sellers in Japan:

Chrono Trigger (SFC) 2,030,000
Seiken Densetsu 2 (SFC) 1,500,000
Romancing SaGa 3 (SFC) 1,300,000
Kingdom Hearts (PS2) 1,300,000
Romancing SaGa 2 (SFC) 1,170,000
Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon (PS) 1,140,000
Kingdom Hearts II (PS2) 1,130,000
Makaitoushi SaGa (GB) 1,100,000
SaGa Frontier (PS) 1,060000
Parasite Eve (PS) 1,060,000

Wow. Mana over KH. Had no idea!

image_thumb149.png

Remember this?

pLow7

How would you guys think a Mana Game would turn out ?

I would LOVE to get a Sequel of it, just don't really know if it would have same appeal in 3D. Because lets face it, Dawn of Mana wasn't a good Game.

You think it could do the 3D jump like Zelda ?

Squire

Banned
FF Legend was only the English name for the first SaGa series in the US. It's completely different from the FF Legends series in Japan on mobile which is Tokita's baby. Nothing at all to do with Kawazu. The first FF Legends mobile game is called FF Dimensions in the US. Yes, it is very confusing. :p

Ah, alright. I figured they were going to adopt the Legends name over there as well, but this is a different creative lead and everything. Interesting.

A bit more info about the interview:
Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda recently revealed that they will announce a brand new RPG in December, which will be for consoles and not a remake. He shares a little more about the near future of the company and other announcements in this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine.

Famitsu begins by mentioning that Square Enix have been working on Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes and smartphone games as of late, and ask if we’ll see any action from other IPs from Square Enix.

“Actually, we’re currently working on that,” Matsuda replies. He also adds that this upcoming project is a console (or portable—it isn’t specified) game, when Famitsu presses for more details.

While the Square Enix president wouldn’t reveal much about the game’s title, he shares that it’s an “RPG-type” game, and also says that it’s for consoles and is not a remake.

In fact, according to Matsuda, Square Enix will have several games they’ll announce soon, not limited to just consoles, but also for handhelds, smartphone, and PC, in addition to titles that are in development overseas.

“I believe we’ll be able to sequentially announce various types of games after the New Year as well,”
adds Matsuda.

When asked whether Square Enix have enough development resources for all the games they have planned for announcement, Matsuda says that for the projects that don’t have enough resources with their internal developers, they’ll get help from outside studios and other partners as far as development goes.

Famitsu points out that everything from triple-A titles to indie games, arcades, PC, browser, smartphone, and games on the cloud are all things Square Enix have been working on. Not many other publishers are handling that many games.

“And there’s a chance that a new blockbuster hit could be born from all that,” says Matsuda. “How to excavate the next IP, and talent, is a crucial factor.”

Finally, Matsuda says that he understands that some titles may take a while from the starting plans to the announcement, and then the release, which is something that can’t always be helped; however, for now he hopes fans will look forward to the new title that will be announced in December.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/27/square-enix-plans-announce-several-new-games-near-future/

SPAW

The wording "RPG-type", to me, reads like a game with RPG-like elements (à la The Legend of Zelda). Otherwise, why not just say "the next game will be an RPG"?

Not really sure a one word difference in a translated text is the most compelling evidence ;)

This smells like new IP to me... I hope it is but realistically I expect SaGa and unrealistically I expect chrono or star ocean :)

Trogdor1123

A Secret of Mana title would be amazing... something just like the SNES one, maybe even sprite based... too bad it will NEVER happen.

HeelPower

Really hope its a new IP.

Necromancys will just cause tons of uproar and disappointment when the revivals don't meet expectations grounded in the 90s.

Philippo

Should we expect this to be a collaboration then?
I actually like this mindset, as he says it allows them to experiment without spending a FF-budget every time, and if things go well they'll have something new in their portfolio (which has now shrunk back to FF, KH and DQ). Also, the idea of funding new blood is always welcome.

SaGa seems likely. Mana maybe, they do have that mobile/Vita title, I think that would have to be doing really well for them to consider a console title again.

Really hope its a new IP.

Necromancys will just cause tons of uproar and disappointment when the revivals don't meet expectations grounded in the 90s.

I think the problem with reviving old IPs is that not only do you have to make the game like the original, but you have to surpass expectations + nostalgia. And nostalgia is not exactly something easy to top.

Links_fantasy

I would love a Bravely Default style game in HD, with detailed painted backdrops and a over world, airships. The type of game Square used to make in the PS1 days. Also lighthearted and a sense of adventure.

wmlk

I've been thinking for a while the twist in all this will just be the new Deus Ex being revealed at the Game Awards. It's an RPG on consoles and it's been in the works a while already.

The "in addition to titles that are in development overseas" makes me a bit apprehensive. He separates it from the discussion about the new RPG.

Squire

Banned
The "in addition to titles that are in development overseas" makes me a bit apprehensive. He separates it from the discussion about the new RPG.

The fact DX is an RPG itself is what makes it murky for me. And SE knows they're a global company. The only people that still treat Eidos an actual publisher entity use it as a pejorative reference to "the western teams".

Could go either way.

wmlk

The fact DX is an RPG itself is what makes it murky for me. And SE knows they're a global company. The only people that still treat Eidos an actual publisher entity use it as a pejorative reference to "the western teams".

Could go either way.

Hmm, I wonder if any special guests are coming to Las Vegas. That would hint towards something.

Other than Hashimoto.

Squire

Banned
Hmm, I wonder if any special guests are coming to Las Vegas. That would hint towards something.

Other than Hashimoto.

Yeah... I was gonna say I don't think they would show their December trailer for FFXV at the PSX, but they're already breaking from tradition in how that game is promoted. They just might show it. There's no demo or anything, so Tabata doesn't have to come and they still have something for Jump Festa.

Or Hashimoto could be there for the new game!

wmlk

Yeah... I was gonna say I don't think they would show their December trailer for FFXV at the PSX, but they're already breaking from tradition in how that game is promoted. They just might show it. There's no demo or anything, so Tabata doesn't have to come and they still have something for Jump Festa.

Or Hashimoto could be there for the new game!

They're likely to show the FFXV dub trailer at one of the events. Probably TGAs.

That leaves PSX and Jump Festa. So, it's really 50/50 I think.

Faustek

Btw we did come to a conclusion of "console" meant CONSOLE or dedicated handheld?

Anyway, interesting to see DONTNOD recruiting. Have high hopes for that studio.

Top Bottom