• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's E3 2012 Lineup

Foffy

Banned
Feep says Type-0 is getting announced.

I mean no offense to discredit Feep here, but how do we know for sure it'll happen? Didn't someone claim last year they spoke to someone who was apparently doing a voicing role for nothing to come out of it? Perhaps that's why I'm hesitant to be on board for it being fully confirmed, even if I do want it to be.

StuBurns

Banned
Some games can be REALLY ANNOYING there though, try imagining an Elder Scrolls that requires a different disc for each portion of the map. A 360 version arguably wouldn't be worth bothering with, just give an updated version as a launch title on the next Xbox or whatever. But we don't know if it's going to be that or if it's scaled done, maybe to the extreme that Ultros joked about.
Nomura said they were going back and changing some CG scenes for in-engine, assuming they're real time in-engine (like XIII-2, not XIII), the size of the data set would instantly get a significant reduction. They can ship individual languages, compress audio, compress the CG scenes, and 360 disc capacity has increased a gig since XIII. Just over eight GB is quite a lot of room to work with. If SE deem it to be worth it, they'll do it. And I imagine they're going to. I remember a quote from Nomura where he retconned the meaning of multiplatform so he wouldn't look like he'd be talking shit about it's exclusivity for the last five years.

I've never understood the logic behind people expecting additional SKUs for new systems. With having to design stuff for the uPad, a WiiU port would be costly, and it'd have no chance of selling as well as on 360.

Well, I figured it'd be an order from higher above to get it on 360 anyway, not that it couldn't be developed with that in mind, but point.

Here's the quote

"Multiplatform is when you start development on a game with the assumption of optimizing for multiple platforms. Porting is something that's done after you've developed a game specifically for a particular platforms. The debate over porting is decided by the management based off the current market and the costs. All I can say right now as a developer is that Versus is being developed specifically for the PlayStation 3."

http://andriasang.com/comp0w/nomura_versus_xiii_tweet/

That was back in 2010.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nomura said they were going back and changing some CG scenes for in-engine, assuming they're real time in-engine (like XIII-2, not XIII), the size of the data set would instantly get a significant reduction. They can ship individual languages, compress audio, compress the CG scenes, and 360 disc capacity has increased a gig since XIII. Just over eight GB is quite a lot of room to work with. If SE deem it to be worth it, they'll do it. And I imagine they're going to. I remember a quote from Nomura where he retconned the meaning of multiplatform so he wouldn't look like he'd be talking shit about it's exclusivity for the last five years.

I've never understood the logic behind people expecting additional SKUs for new systems. With having to design stuff for the uPad, a WiiU port would be costly, and it'd have no chance of selling as well as on 360.

He was talking about the FFXIII announcement for Japan - bunch of Japanese folks were issuing Wada death threats and whatnot.

Versus was still exclusive as of last year so unless something's changed since then, they've done well to keep quiet on it. Like Solidsnakex said... if it is ported, Nomura will have nothing to do with it.

Remember too, the engine is different from the one used in FFXIII so that could also be a challenge. Nomura said quite recently the engine won't be used for any other title either.

Spiegel

Wasn't it the other way?

The cutscene about Noctis and Stella meeting for the first time is now a CG I think.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wasn't it the other way?

The cutscene about Noctis and Stella meeting for the first time is now a CG I think.

Yes, more CG is being added in place of real-time event scenes. A bit surprising considering the amount of work they already had on the Noctis/Stella scene - but more Visual Works CG is never a bad thing.

StuBurns

Banned
He was talking about the FFXIII announcement for Japan - bunch of Japanese folks were issuing Wada death threats and whatnot.
That must be another quote, I was talking about the thing above your post.
Versus was still exclusive as of last year so unless something's changed since then, they've done well to keep quiet on it. Like Solidsnakex said... if it is ported, Nomura will have nothing to do with it.
I don't think we'd know if it was still exclusive as of last year. They'd deny it till they confirmed it, and if they weren't ready to confirm it at that time, they wouldn't.
Wasn't it the other way?

That's very odd, I hadn't heard that. I must be misremembering, or confusing it with something else, presumably XIII-2 might have gone thru the process, maybe they mentioned that and I confused the games.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That must be another quote, I was talking about the thing above your post.

I don't think we'd know if it was still exclusive as of last year. They'd deny it till they confirmed it, and if they weren't ready to confirm it at that time, they wouldn't.

The source who mentioned FF Vita to me last Fall also mentioned that, so you can believe it if you want. Said person has never done me wrong though.

Edit: The bit on CG scenes:
Versus will have a mix of real time and pre-rendered cutscenes. The ratio is said to be 7:3, to which the later being CG FMV created by Visual Works. The team’s ability to express realtime graphics has rapidly increased, although in some cases it couldn’t do, which is why the scene with Noctis and Stella meeting has been switched to a pre-rendered scene. Pre-rendered scenes won’t get in the way of controlling the game itself, however.

StuBurns

Banned
The source who mentioned FF Vita to me last Fall also mentioned that, so you can believe it if you want. Said person has never done me wrong though.
Fair enough, I thought you'd be referring to some Famitsu listing or something.

I think both scenarios actually make some sense. There's absolutely no reason MS should spend any cash buying SE out of an exclusivity contract for Versus. It won't sell a single console, and they're getting ready for their next system anyway.

It would realistically just come down to how much the estimated gain from a 360 SKU versus the price of not being exclusive, presuming their was a contract which had been discussed a few years ago with XIII too.

I imagine it'll be on 360, but staying exclusive wouldn't surprise me.

jiggle

after the cheapo xiii-2 and agito
it's gonna be nice to get fmv indulgence again

so advent children team and visual works are now one and the same?

Eusis

Well, they probably don't have to design THAT much, just post detailed party information or something, but point on how it's probably not one of the most profitable systems to port to in the immediate future.

Remember too, the engine is different from the one used in FFXIII so that could also be a challenge. Nomura said quite recently the engine won't be used for any other title either.
Thought it was just Crystal Tools, or is it a specific version of it? Still, I imagine it's NOT going to make porting elsewhere easy, this actually comes off as being like the last bastion of their old model, though that particular bit won't be very missed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Thought it was just Crystal Tools, or is it a specific version of it? Still, I imagine it's NOT going to make porting elsewhere easy, this actually comes off as being like the last bastion of their old model, though that particular bit won't be very missed.

The version of CT used for Versus was at one time code named Black Engine... not sure if that's still the case but since then its gone and added parts of SE's new Luminous Engine for lighting technology, and the base engine has become more action-based.

Xena

Not surprised at all if true on the re branding. What I'm "shocked" is the Wii U part. Didn't see that coming.

The video is slightly less real than Versus XIII existing, calm down guys. :p

mad_men.jpg

haha

I look forward to this gem making the rounds the next few days, along with the excited "OMG LOOOOOK!" posts that will continue to come. If we're lucky maybe some poor schmo will actually make a thread about it. lol

Dunan

Type 0 to be announced? How was that game anyway? I know some seemed to really like it but some didn't seem to like the controls.

It's quite good - if you like classic FF you'll probably like Type-0 a lot. And yeah... control-wise it needed a second stick, so if it does come to Vita... I think that would be the right choice for it.

I wasn't a fan of the controls either but eventually I got the hang of them; I agree that the second stick will work wonders. (Full customizability, please!)

Gameplay is quite fun and was a good blend of action- and menu-based styles. I found the "kill sight" timed-attack system to be surprisingly satisfying; think of the timed attacks in Vagrant Story and you've got the same feel. There are some very beautiful, very inspired environments that I wish we had been able to explore more.

My only problems with the game came from the "worldview", for lack of a better word. One major aspect underpinning the world of this game makes it difficult to sympathize with the people in this world; it will be revealed very early on -- for the benefit of people who want to go in totally blind, I won't spoil it. It added a melancholy to the entire game that made me not want to keep going (and then, in a very late chapter,
there was another thing that made me not want to go on
).

The gameplay and mechanics are so addictive, though, that the game is still fun. Online play is a good addition but is spoiled by the fact that the vast proportion of the people playing online are farming for levels in one very specific region. "Real" online collaboratory play -- maybe making use of the Vita's microphone so that people could communicate with each other just as the characters do in the game -- would have been truly amazing.

haha

I look forward to this gem making the rounds the next few days, along with the excited "OMG LOOOOOK!" posts that will continue to come. If we're lucky maybe some poor schmo will actually make a thread about it. lol

Someone should fabricate a video showing how Versus is now a DLC ridden MMORPG exclusively for the Vita, headed by newly placed creative-lead Toriyama. The posts and reactions would be glorious.

NO! NOOOOOOOO! KHIII, FFVIIr, & VERSUS WILL HAPPEN! WILL HAPPEN DAMMIT! TRUE SUPER LOVE HOPE FOREVEVER!

nVxKV.gif

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe they could go the Sega way in regards to digital publishing.

Sega has been capitalizing on a lot of old IPs and remastering them for PSN/XBLA/Steam and they seem to be doing decently through that. Why can't Square Enix release Secret of Mana HD on PSN/XBLA/Steam? Their PSOne classics on PSN seem to be selling a lot (FFVII has been on the top 5 PSone classics for nearly 3 straight years already I think).
That would imply that SE knows what they're doing, and has known what they were doing in a competent manner for the back half of this generation. Ultros. I don't think they know what they're doing.

Man, now that you mention SEGA... They started pretty badly this generation, but now they're really good! They're like the inverse of Capcpom.

I wasn't a fan of the controls either but eventually I got the hang of them; I agree that the second stick will work wonders. (Full customizability, please!)

My only problems with the game came from the "worldview", for lack of a better word. One major aspect underpinning the world of this game makes it difficult to sympathize with the people in this world; it will be revealed very early on -- for the benefit of people who want to go in totally blind, I won't spoil it. It added a melancholy to the entire game that made me not want to keep going (and then, in a very late chapter,
there was another thing that made me not want to go on
).
Yeah, yours, (some of) Aeana's, and Bebpo's impressions don't make the game sound super-awesome. Adequate, but not the game I was expecting (and I spoiled the ending for myself, so I know what's going on and I get your points about the worldview and storytelling). My experiences with both demos haven't been that great. The first demo wasn't that awesome until you figured out that Rem, King, and Ace were the best characters to use in most situations due to range/magic. Machina wasn't too bad to control, and neither was Sice when you got used to her, but when you need to take care of something and your characters seem fragile, it's better to use one of the previously-mentioned three, I guess.

Did you get the feeling that the game was designed moreso for multiplayer as opposed to single-player? Because even though I had the 'drop-in' thing turned off during the demo, it kind of came across that way due to the mission structures. Like, it still seems like it's a must-play, but it's a good thing that my hype for it has been dampened due to a lot of things I heard about its game structure, and gameplay.

And I was really really looking forward to those RTS segments since they sounded Suikoden-esque in a way, but then I heard they were horrible. :/

DJIzana

Yes, more CG is being added in place of real-time event scenes. A bit surprising considering the amount of work they already had on the Noctis/Stella scene - but more Visual Works CG is never a bad thing.

I honestly thought it was the other way, but, thankfully this isn't the case. I *really* want to see the scenes from the 2006 in updated CG format. Wow... that'd just be too freaking awesome! :|

Labadal

OMG!!!!!!!!! VeRSuS is now XV??????+++????? I knew it, lolololololololololol!!!!!!111111one

I hope we get a Versus reveal despite it not being listed in the SE E3 games list. Guessing MS conference. Hope the Type-0 rumour is true, I'd finally get a Vita.

beril

I'm pretty much going to call them Square-Eidos from now on. It's a better fit for their name. Does Enix even provide anything of value anymore other than the occasional Dragon Quest game? They're not worthy of being in the company name anymore with Eidos bringing the heat.

They've been a single company for almost 10 years, people really ought to stop seeing them as two seperate entities. Though Enix was never a developer, so yes a lot of the senior in-house devs may be ex Square people, but then you might as well argue that all the externally developed games are from the Enix side. Other than Final Fantasy, a few Mana games and the DS Saga remakes, what other old Square IPs have they released in the last few years?

Foffy

Banned

No need to be mad at me. Blame Square for what can only be assumed as massive mismanagement. I feel so sorry for the people who still heavily anticipate the game, because games usually in development hell like this fail to meet the hype they have. It's precisely why I stopped giving a shit about it after 2010.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I can't tell whether Heroes of Ruin will be any good or not. Hmm.

The little bit I've played at NYCC last October suggested the game was OK, but a bit on the sluggish side. A SE rep who was there asked me what I thought of the game (I was the only one who was playing, most others there were either playing Deus Ex or FFXIII-2), and I mentioned that it seemed decent, would probably be fun multiplayer, but combat was sluggish and there wasn't enough responsiveness when you got hit/you hit the enemy. So perhaps they took a bit of my feedback to heart (you never know, right)?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
That would imply that SE knows what they're doing, and has known what they were doing in a competent manner for the back half of this generation. Ultros. I don't think they know what they're doing.

Man, now that you mention SEGA... They started pretty badly this generation, but now they're really good! They're like the inverse of Capcpom.

I remember reading tri-Ace saying that Sega is more open to JRPGs than Square Enix, dunno if that's true though. :p

I like Sega this generation though. A good number of my PS3 and PSN games are from Sega... Which is surprising because last gen I owned only 1 Sega title (Sonic Heroes, and not including the Dreamcast era).

Eusis

I remember reading tri-Ace saying that Sega is more open to JRPGs than Square Enix, dunno if that's true though. :p
If it was it may not be now, but it could also be that with SE's shift in priorities that see that as a filled niche, whereas Sega and especially Konami are limper there currently.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I like Sega this generation though. A good number of my PS3 and PSN games are from Sega... Which is surprising because last gen I owned only 1 Sega title (Sonic Heroes, and not including the Dreamcast era).
Sort of:
I've not seen many new RPG ideas come from the studio recently, but if you believe tri-Ace, that may be more the fault of Square Enix.

"Because SEGA has a more open attitude towards accepting new RPG ideas than Square Enix, we'd decided to have SEGA release End of Eternity," explains game director Takayuki Suguro. He doesn't extrapolate on that, or provide examples of Square Enix holding his team back, but it's quite an interesting thing to say.
I love Sega this generation. They came a long way from... well, you know. Makes me feel bad that they aren't doing well since they've put out some great stuff. If they could ever localize VC3, that'd be great.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_video_games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games

After 2006 i would say. FF12 was my favorite fantasy after 7.

Compare those list. Dammit. It's like they don't even try anymore.

blah blah trolling square whateverzzz

Let's be realistic. You're comparing two decades of output where new IPs could thrive compared to less than a decade where volatile development was the norm. Considering the circumstances, I think they have done rather well post-merger.

Feep

Banned
I mean no offense to discredit Feep here, but how do we know for sure it'll happen? Didn't someone claim last year they spoke to someone who was apparently doing a voicing role for nothing to come out of it? Perhaps that's why I'm hesitant to be on board for it being fully confirmed, even if I do want it to be.
The voice actor was confident enough, and (s)he'd completed work on it many months ago. It's not a 100% confirmation, obviously, just telling you what (s)he said.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gameglobe sounds interesting. Browser based LittleBigPlanet idea? Maybe want.

True Crime: Hong Kong (er-"Sleeping Dogs") isn't really all that interesting but I guess seeing it shortly before it releases (or a demo in a stealth marketing strike) is nice, I guess.

Tomb Raider reboot is about the only interesting thing on that last that I really want to see more of.

Teknoman

Sort of:

I love Sega this generation. They came a long way from... well, you know. Makes me feel bad that they aren't doing well since they've put out some great stuff. If they could ever localize VC3, that'd be great.

Sega sorta seems like they are back at their Dreamcast level game...minus not having a system of course. Decent effort to climb out of the Sonic 06 ditch.

JCreasy

Nomura has been a real disappointment. I can't believe I used to defend that guy dammit

Versus = Fail

It's time for the next generation already. What a tool!

Reveirg

They've been a single company for almost 10 years, people really ought to stop seeing them as two seperate entities. Though Enix was never a developer, so yes a lot of the senior in-house devs may be ex Square people, but then you might as well argue that all the externally developed games are from the Enix side. Other than Final Fantasy, a few Mana games and the DS Saga remakes, what other old Square IPs have they released in the last few years?

He does have a point though. All of Enix's side of games is pretty much gone (which consisted mostly of Tri-Ace and Cavia stuff).

Top Bottom