• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's E3 2012 Lineup

Derrick01

Banned
It's not necessarily diluting quality (some of the stuff they grab independent of either Eidos or traditional SE could be most guilty there really), so much as what I expect to see out of them. Plus I hear of "Square Enix sales event" and nowadays that probably just means we're seeing Tomb Raider, Hitman, and other Eidos stuff on sale. Though a lot of that is the likes of Steam simply not having anything except Last Remnant.

Ah ok I get what you're saying now. When I see the SE banner on Steam for a sale week I pretty much know it's going to be all Eidos games, specifically tomb raider, deus ex, batman, just cause 2 and hitman. I can see how that would be disappointing from the other side of the fence.

jorgeton

I was wondering, wat was gaf's reaction when Wada came out in MS conference and announced ff13 for 360? I wasnt around gaf at that time.

Also, was there any prior info that wada was going to be at MS conference?

Omg... it was incredible. The meltdowns will live in infamy.

Heh, if there's not at LEAST two announcements from those: FFXV/VersusXIII/Type-0/FFXHD/FFXIII-2, it'll a huge let down from S-E, especially considering it's FF's 25th anniversary.

Really, I fail to see how they could NOT announce Type-0. S-E, in recent years, has adopted a really close Japanese->NA->EUR cycle, and Type-0 has been out for a while in Japan.

They're probably working on a port, and now would be the only logical time to announce it.

PSP's dead in the West, Vita was launching around the time a fast Type 0 localization would be done and they probably didn't want to just dump the PSP code onto the Vita. It probably took them a while to decide what to do with it.

They've dropped a bollock with FF's 25th celebrations, no doubt, as there should've been something special this year. I can't believe people are shocked, though. As far as the Japanese games go they've been fucking it up all gen.

Ceebs

Say what you will about their Japanese output, but PC versions of all the big Eidos stuff is something more big publishers could learn from.

Eusis

The 2K/Rockstar thing is largely down to the Housers, I think. Those are two guys who value independence above all else. While 2K could wrestle control from them, they've made the very wise decision to give them as much as they want and keep them sweet because if they leave Rockstar would probably collapse. Rockstar run their own PR departments and everything. It's also working - their ad campaigns and such are hugely successful. It's working, so why fuck with it, right? They also want to avoid being in the kind of situation Acti/IW was in, I'm sure, and who can blame them?

Square Enix could've taken this approach but it's expensive - and it probably is wiser to be thrifty right now. More than that, though, it gives the image of a company segregated. The quality of a Rockstar game doesn't influence my decision to buy a 2K game because I know they operate as very separate entities. The whole point of fully assimilating the Eidos brand into SE and turning Eidos into a label is to project an image of a truly international company.

We don't really have a properly international dev - EA partners with Japanese devs but has failed to have success with it. Konami, Capcom and Nintendo have all had limited amounts of success with direct work with Western studios like Blue Castle, Rare, Retro and Mercury but aren't pushing forwards on expanding that strategy as fast as they perhaps should. Sony are the exception with a strong international development culture, but even with them there appears to be this great big rift between SCEJ and SCEA/SCEE. Worse, SCEJ appear to have like SEJ lost the ability to actually finish a HD game without compromising it in some way.

I think Wada's vision is to be the first truly international game developer and that could be massive for them. It's a good move. Everything points to it, from the hardcore focus on Eidos this year and last year at E3 and other Western shows to the fact that the development studio for their next-generation tools that'll power the next FF/KH/DQ is made up of 50% Western people drafted from Eidos, IO and other places and also in places based off tech pilfered from IO's new Glacier Engine - they want to standardize the business. Good luck to them; I'd rather SE survives and has other ways of making money, because if they do the future and safety of FF, KH and such is more assured, and it allows them to take chances with development on more niche projects.

This is a more personal opinion thing thing now, I suppose, and not everyone will agree, but I'd rather SE made lots of money out of Hitman/TR/Deus/Thief/Just Cause/Kane & Lynch/Kain (see what a fucking strong list that is?) and be confident enough to make more niche FFs than keep chasing the train of trying to streamlining in search of wider success which I think has overall been detrimental.
Good points there. I guess ultimately it's just a direction that would've FELT more appropriate for the likes of Capcom or Konami, but I guess SE's just doing better than both of them period (probably helps Enix was also a manga company, and they have some other businesses like the figures).
I really don't see how a game as amazing as Deus Ex or Lara Croft: TGoL can ever be construed as "diluting the brand." If anything, Eidos and Crystal Dynamics have made SE wholly relevant in the past two years in western markets.
It's more an image than quality thing here. Somewhat ironically Eidos may well be at their best NOW rather than before the purchase.
Ah ok I get what you're saying now. When I see the SE banner on Steam for a sale week I pretty much know it's going to be all Eidos games, specifically tomb raider, deus ex, batman, just cause 2 and hitman. I can see how that would be disappointing from the other side of the fence.
Admittedly with Steam there's no logical reason to expect anything BUT Last Remnant, but it could be disappointing for an "SE" sale on PSN that didn't discount the Japanese games, even if most of those are on PSP.

Derrick01

Banned
Say what you will about their Japanese output, but PC versions of all the big Eidos stuff is something more big publishers could learn from.

Nixxes has a lot to do with that. I don't know if they do anything else besides porting Eidos PC stuff, but they do an amazing job of it. And the long term support is pretty good too, I just got another Deus Ex HR patch a few days ago that fixed some stuff and further reduced the subtle-yet-annoying stutter effect.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That's the point, they don't want to be known as "That JRPG Company", they want to be known not by a specific genre but rather as a company that publishes a variety of titles that sell well. Square isn't like Blizzard where they have one title that prints enough money to allow them tight focus on a few brands where they deliver the quality JRPG(s) you want every couple of years.

I think it's better just to let go of that image of "they used to be so great at JRPGs". Things change over time.

And as an old fan, who mostly plays RPGs, mostly plays Japanese games, and enjoys console games with a budget behind them... that fucking sucks. One of the many reasons why I think stuff has gone way downhill this gen. Instead of focusing heavily on westernizing the company, it would've been much better IMO if Wada straightened out the Japanese side of things. And didn't do stupid shit like make DQX an MMO :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe they could go the Sega way in regards to digital publishing.

Sega has been capitalizing on a lot of old IPs and remastering them for PSN/XBLA/Steam and they seem to be doing decently through that. Why can't Square Enix release Secret of Mana HD on PSN/XBLA/Steam? Their PSOne classics on PSN seem to be selling a lot (FFVII has been on the top 5 PSone classics for nearly 3 straight years already I think).

Ceebs

Nixxes has a lot to do with that. I don't know if they do anything else besides porting Eidos PC stuff, but they do an amazing job of it. And the long term support is pretty good too, I just got another Deus Ex HR patch a few days ago that fixed some stuff and further reduced the subtle-yet-annoying stutter effect.

Yeah, all the recent Tomb Raider ports are fantastic, and Just Cause 2 is a mindblowingly good port (although I think that was done inhouse at Avalanche).

Synless

Heh, if there's not at LEAST two announcements from those: FFXV/VersusXIII/Type-0/FFXHD/FFXIII-2, it'll a huge let down from S-E, especially considering it's FF's 25th anniversary.

Really, I fail to see how they could NOT announce Type-0. S-E, in recent years, has adopted a really close Japanese->NA->EUR cycle, and Type-0 has been out for a while in Japan.

They're probably working on a port, and now would be the only logical time to announce it.
If anything those would be announced at the Tokyo game show later this year. With the exception of Type-0, that still has a possibility of an E3 announcement.

Spiegel

PSP's dead in the West, Vita was launching around the time a fast Type 0 localization would be done and they probably didn't want to just dump the PSP code onto the Vita. It probably took them a while to decide what to do with it.

They've dropped a bollock with FF's 25th celebrations, no doubt, as there should've been something special this year. I can't believe people are shocked, though. As far as the Japanese games go they've been fucking it up all gen.

Feep says Type-0 is getting announced.

As a sidenote, I spoke to one of the voice actors on Type-0 yesterday. They'll announce it.

Eusis

That, truly, was the last E3 Megaton

I hope we'll see a repeat of that with Versus this year.
If it actually needs blu-ray...

... Actually, why the hell not? Make it a PS3/Wii U game then. And an updated version on the next Xbox, not as if it'd be done before then, not long beforehand at least.

Mxrz

Sega has been capitalizing on a lot of old IPs and remastering them for PSN/XBLA/Steam and they seem to be doing decently through that. Why can't Square Enix release Secret of Mana HD on PSN/XBLA/Steam? Their PSOne classics on PSN seem to be selling a lot (FFVII has been on the top 5 PSone classics for nearly 3 straight years already I think).

I like you.

Disappointing that SE is mostly another E lately. But these aren't bad games by any means.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If it actually needs blu-ray...

... Actually, why the hell not? Make it a PS3/Wii U game then. And an updated version on the next Xbox, not as if it'd be done before then, not long beforehand at least.

Versus XIII gonna be an action corridor game.

Glass Rebel

I think I somewhat get the disappointment with the Japanese side of S-E getting the shaft but the Western side has been absolutely amazing since they were bought. A great mix between established, revived and in the future hopefully new franchises.

The Japanese branch on the other hand needs some time to refocus and restructure. I dunno, maybe it's just from my perspective but they're hardly relevant apart from Final Fantasy outside of Japan. Dragon Quest is probably a lost cause (even moreso as MMORPG) and I don't know how Kingdom Hearts has been doing on PSP and (3)DS but unless they want to completely lose their presence in western markets by putting their best games on handhelds they'd be best advised to follow what they're doing with Square Enix Europe.

I think it's a bit easier for SEGA because everything they "remastered" runs on SEGA hardware. Aren't the games just running on Emulators? Although I could be mistaken.

Reveirg

If anything those would be announced at the Tokyo game show later this year. With the exception of Type-0, that still has a possibility of an E3 announcement.

Really? I think the last mainline FF to be announced at TGS was... FFX (or maybe X-2), more than 10 years ago!

I don't think anyone seriously expects Vs XIII, if it ever comes out, to remain PS3 exclusive.

Nomura has basically hinted at that when he said that if it goes multiplatform it would be the decision of Square's management, and added that all he can say is that his team is focused on developing it specifically for the PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Type 0 to be announced? How was that game anyway? I know some seemed to really like it but some didn't seem to like the controls.

It's quite good - if you like classic FF you'll probably like Type-0 a lot. And yeah... control-wise it needed a second stick, so if it does come to Vita... I think that would be the right choice for it.

Eusis

Anything can be ported, bluray could be a roadblock, but it wouldn't stop anything.
Some games can be REALLY ANNOYING there though, try imagining an Elder Scrolls that requires a different disc for each portion of the map. A 360 version arguably wouldn't be worth bothering with, just give an updated version as a launch title on the next Xbox or whatever. But we don't know if it's going to be that or if it's scaled done, maybe to the extreme that Ultros joked about.
Nomura has basically hinted at that when he said that if it goes multiplatform it be the decision of Square management, and added that all he can say is that his team is focused on developing it specifically for the PS3.
That WAS before the Wii U, and if blu-ray's a big factor there I can see him compromising (or trying to compromise) there.

Eusis

Renaming DOES seem plausible, especially in light of Agito being dropped (and XIII likely being seen as something to distance from). Plus it would fit in nicely with getting three mainline entries out per generation, though it looks as if XIV is ultimately sitting out the PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Renaming DOES seem plausible, especially in light of Agito being dropped (and XIII likely being seen as something to distance from). Plus it would fit in nicely with getting three mainline entries out per generation, though it looks as if XIV is ultimately sitting out the PS3.

XIV is still on schedule for PS3 beta this year...

Type-0's renaming I felt was unnecessary because there were a lot of 'XIII' and 'Agito' themes in the game... quite frequently actually.

That WAS before the Wii U, and if blu-ray's a big factor there I can see him compromising (or trying to compromise) there.

I don't think that it would change anything as the point of his comment was to explain the difference between porting and multiplatform development. Versus will always be a port if it happens.

Eusis

XIV is still on schedule for PS3 beta this year...

Type-0's renaming I felt was unnecessary because there were a lot of 'XIII' and 'Agito' themes in the game... quite frequently actually.
That might actually confirm the idea they want to distance from XIII some, on a surface level anyway. And interesting that the XIV beta is still on track, wonder if everyone that registered will get in afterall?

I don't think that it would change anything as the point of his comment was to explain the difference between porting and multiplatform development. Versus will always be a port if it happens.
Well, I figured it'd be an order from higher above to get it on 360 anyway, not that it couldn't be developed with that in mind, but point.

Top Bottom