• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's Seiken Densetsu remake (Final Fantasy Adventure) is on Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremark

Banned
Missed those two, lol. Would've been nice to play on VITA.

I wonder if all these Square announcements of PS4/Vita exclusives has anything to do with that TR nightmare? I love these recent decisions by SE, but..

A lot of us did, SE didn't localize them. I doubt these have anything to do with TR, these game games mainly for the Japanese market and target drastically different players than TR.

hiro4

It was my favorite GB game too. I skipped the remake as I did some reason was under the impression they drastically changed the story (specifically what I discussed above). Was it really that bad though?

Remake changed a lot of things I thought didn't need changing or adding to the base package.
It wasn't that it was bad, it was just not as good. But nostalgia goggles and all that kind of stuff.

Still the original even though it is a simple game, is still an amazing game.

Lothar

Banned
Main Villian?
I was thrown for a loop back when I killed him in a boss battle and Julius took his place. I think even today that would be a surprise but back then it wasn't even thinkable.

It was my favorite GB game too. I skipped the remake as I did some reason was under the impression they drastically changed the story (specifically what I discussed above). Was it really that bad though?

Just for example. In the beginning of FFA, it's very sad, you're a slave, fighting monsters for the entertainment of others, and your best friend dies, which makes you finally try to escape. In sword, instead of playing sad music and the characters being sad at the beginning, they're joking around and laughing, talking about how it's the 10th time they've tried to escape and last time they were caught they went a whole day without food. Your best friend doesn't die and bothers you the whole game as an annoying teenager with a dumb accent. Just going off of memory.

Cornbread78

A lot of us did, SE didn't localize them. I doubt these have anything to do with TR, these game games mainly for the Japanese market and target drastically different players than TR.

That explains a lot. True. Hopefully some of all these titles make it to the west...

Dremark

Banned
Remake changed a lot of things I thought didn't need changing or adding to the base package.
It wasn't that it was bad, it was just not as good. But nostalgia goggles and all that kind of stuff.

Still the original even though it is a simple game, is still an amazing game.

Yeah I'm not much of a fan of remakes in general because I hate when things are changed particularly when there's no good reason for it.

Just for example. In the beginning of FFA, it's very sad, you're a slave, fighting monsters for the entertainment of others, and your best friend dies, which makes you finally try to escape. In sword, instead of playing sad music and the characters being sad at the beginning, they're joking around and laughing, talking about how it's the 10th time they've tried to escape and last time they were caught they went a whole day without food. Your best friend doesn't die and bothers you the whole game as an annoying teenager with a dumb accent. Just going off of memory.

That honestly sounds really terrible. I'm not going to act like the original SD had the greatest storyline but it was pretty well done for it's time and could have been built upon or at least had it's general tone kept.

That explains a lot. True. Hopefully some of all these titles make it to the west...

Hopefully. I would have been down for those SaGa remakes as I really like that series but missed the boat in the GB days. I have a feeling those ended up basically being new games anyway though.

Seiken Densetsu was the original Secret of Mana if I recall correctly? Why do I see Final Fantasy all over this thread? Can anyone explain?

Seiken Densetsu's full name in Japan was "Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden" (gaiden means side-story). It was the fourth FF game ever released, and eventually spawned its own separate franchise. In the West, the game's name was shortened to Final Fantasy Adventure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
sörine;178884659 said:
Isn't think the 4th remake? They should try remaking 2-3 some time.

Especially 3. Why does SD3 get no love from Square?

hell yeah it was. one of my favorite games on the GB.

the remake on GBA was trash though. maybe SE will do a better job the third time but I won't care if it doesn't get localized

Echoing on all accounts. The GBA version was shit, but the GB game is still a favorite. It was the first game I played that really tugged the heart strings.

18-Volt

A VC-like port or full-fledged remake that uses Vita's power? It has the old logo and that makes me suspicious.

crinale

BTW, they've been saying they are remaking FFA explicitly, not Sword of Mana..
I'm sorry but I really didn't like SoM too much so I'm happy with this

Philippo

I wonder why some lower-budget games are PS4/Vita (World of FF, Setsuna) and some are Vita only (this one, SaGa)...

hiro4

I don't even remember this!
Sword of Mana didn't feel like a remake at all to me but as a separate game.

The original had such a great story for with the amount of stuff they did. Story of love, friendship, treason and revenge. Won't win best RPG story but it was cleverly effective.

Also that music. Now I want to play it again!

nightever

I wonder why some lower-budget games are PS4/Vita (World of FF, Setsuna) and some are Vita only (this one, SaGa)...

Because SE. Consider they are supporting Vita, you would ask why no KH1.5 & 2.5 on vita.

WoFF is not low-budget to me though. Definitely not AAA, but production value is much higher than a typical handheld FF spinoff.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They better not remove the Chocobro this time.

CamHostage

World of Final Fantasy makes some sense because it's a mid-spec game and has a broad-audience appeal and so since they had the game to give the market a serious try, it added up to a good thing to try. (I'm not sure how Square's Vita releases have done, the X/X2 remake did fine but then DQ8 went the hard way to 3DS and iOS and they've toyed with some brands like Chaos Rings but then no Type-0 and no KH remakes... it's been a weird ride, but they seem earnestly interested in the Vita market to some degree.)

SaGa going to Vita exclusively, however, only makes sense because everything goshdamned thing done with the SaGa line (never going to remake the hugely-successful, oft-demanded Secret of Mana, eh?) is a headscratcher of epic proportions.

Jazz573

Seiken Densetsu was Final Fantasy Adventure in the West. Seiken Densetsu 2 was Secret of Mana.

Only in North America. In Europe it was called Mystic Quest, not to be confused with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, which was called Mystic Quest Legend in Europe.

Because SE. Consider they are supporting Vita, you would ask why no KH1.5 & 2.5 on vita.

Because KH3 will not be on Vita?

You can play/watch the entire KH series on PlayStation home console now*. Well, two consoles, but one is the direct successor of the other.

As much as I'd love another BbS-style (or full game with Aqua; not just a "short episode") on Vita, it doesn't make much sense when they've been trying to put everything into one line instead of having everything scattered all over the place.

Even if they did put it, Vita owners that doesn't have PS4 will not be able to play the final chapter.

On retrospect, I am actually quite surprised that KH3 is on Xbox One due to how they're pretty much making everything for PlayStation home consoles, but I'm guessing it was some sort of failsafe in case PS4 bombed hard and Xbox One was doing well. I was even expecting a Xbox 360/Xbox One version of the compilation games before KH3's 2016 releases but that doesn't seem likely at this point.

*I'm not sure how the Browser/Phone games matter, but I'm guessing not much?

Especially 3. Why does SD3 get no love from Square?

By the GameDev Law #49225

"If the greatest game in a series never came to the west, thou shall not ever bring it back to life."

See:
Summon Night Craftsword Story Hajimari no Ishi
Valkyria Chronicles 3**
Of course, Seiken Densetsu 3

**Edy supporters can say what they want, but Alfons/Leila combi is GOAT. VC3 also has a Samurai™! And a gramma with a grenade launcher.

Mr. RPG

Did they remove it from the site? It isn't there anymore.

By the way, when did this become a remake? I can't find any sources claiming it is a remake.

Aeana

By the way, when did this become a remake? I can't find any sources claiming it is a remake.

It has the same logo (and title: Seiken Densetsu ~ Final Fantasy Gaiden) as the original game.

rcwVf2T.jpg

Link1110

FFA was amazing! It was a Zelda ripoff but it had a cool story and great music that made it an even better Zelda sequel than Zelda 2, which was the newest one at the time. It even had the hookshot before LttP did.

And it marked Christopher Lee's first regency in a Square game (kinda) with the vampire Count Lee.

I just realized that Christopher Lee won't be in KH3 :( RIP dude

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Yeah they removed it.

I like how there's literally a blank space beside Setsuna (in HTML language, there's a DIV there but with no contents).

120v

sword of mana took itself way too seriously. i never really considered it a true remake

hope seiken densetsu 2 remake is in the pipeline... the game legitimately needs it because of its bugs. not just because it's a classic that needs 'updating'

Zolbrod

sörine;178884659 said:
Isn't think the 4th remake? They should try remaking 2-3 some time.

Seriously, FF:A has been remade plenty of times now.
A remake of 2 and/or 3 would be much more awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom