• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square on DQ11 Switch: Still planned but no announcement. Can't discuss release date.

Cerium

Mochizuki asked about the Switch version. The reply: "It is still planned but no announcements today. Whether it launches together on the same day as PS4 and 3DS or not we cannot say today".
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/851683684184866816

ドラクエ11のスイッチ版どうなってんの?と思い発表会終わりに広報さんに質問。「対応は予定しているが今日の発表はない。PS4版、3DS版と発売日が同じか 違うかについても今日の時点では」とのこと。さてハママッチョへ!
When are we going to see the damn thing?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If true, would they potentially rip out the Sprite mode? Have a toggle button? I thought the dual screen aspect was a big part of the 3ds version?

I wonder if this has to do anything with technical limitations or they are looking for a unique way to play the game on Switch.

As in PS4 aesthetics in docked mode and 3DS in handheld mode.

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this has to do anything with technical limitations or they are looking for a unique way to play the game on Switch.

You can't jump in the 3DS version

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If true, would they potentially rip out the Sprite mode? Have a toggle button? I thought the dual screen aspect was a big part of the 3ds version?

The 3DS version does make you choose after the beginning so it would probably just make you choose right from the start instead. If it's was based on that version, which I would rather it is because I want that 2D mode more than downgraded graphics.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i think its just a matter of them having to downgrade the PS4 version to fit on switch. They obviously don't know yet how long the process of doing such a thing will be, but i'm sure they will be able to do it.

I think it would be a lot more painless and straightforward for them if they were developing for docked mode only, but handheld mode requires more fine level cutbacks and optimizations

killatopak

My Switch is just a Zelda machine now. Damn it's disappointing.

I hope if it ever comes over, it'll be an enhanced 3ds version. I can't for the life of me play on the 3ds shitty hardware after ythe switch so it'll be nice if that version is the one that's ported as I want to play all versions of the game.

watershed

Banned
I wonder if its because the port is still in development and they don't know if they can make launch or if Nintendo is asking them to hold back an announcement for a later date like E3 or a Nintendo Direct.

ckfy63a

I have a feeling we're either going to find out more about the NSW version this week (i.e., Nintendo Direct), or it's not coming this year...

L~A

Square-Enix before NX is even revealed: Yo! Check it out! DraQue 11 is coming to NX, yooo!
Square-Enix after NX is revealed but before Switch version is officially revealed: Yo! Check it out! DraQue 11 still coming to Switch, yoooo!
Square-Enix after NX is revealed and Switch version officially announced: Wait, what? DraQue 11 on Switch? Did we really announce that?................................. Oh, I guess we sorta did. Ooopsie.

Shiggy

I wonder if its because the port is still in development and they don't know if they can make launch or if Nintendo is asking them to hold back an announcement for a later date like E3 or a Nintendo Direct.

I think we can rule out the famous "Nintendo holding back 3rd parties from announcing their games" line by now.

It will be talked about at e3.

Only if Nintendo pays for localisation.

Zedark

I have a feeling we're either going to find out more about the NSW version this week (i.e., Nintendo Direct), or it's not coming this year...

I wouldn't go as far as saying it's not coming this year if not at the direct, but I think it's fair to believe it's not coming on the same day if it's not announced in the Direct. It would probably be later in the year in that case.

Unison

Interesting quote... the cat's out of the bag, but they don't need to say this.

I guess we are either looking at a big E3 reveal and a day and date launch for the Switch version or a post-launch port, which I assume would be an "ultimate" version that let you pick the PS4 or 3DS graphics mode.

ggx2ac

Interesting quote... the cat's out of the bag, but they don't need to say this.

I guess we are either looking at a big E3 reveal and a day and date launch for the Switch version or a post-launch port, which I assume would be an "ultimate" version that let you pick the PS4 or 3DS graphics mode.

Why would they do a reveal at a global event for a game that will very likely only be in Japan for over a year?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
To not even say the game will not launch with the other versions is very weird. I suppose it sounds to me like Nintendo is reserving the news of the release date for themselves? I suppose it could be in the Direct or saved for E3 (but E3 seems weird for a game like DQ).

I wonder if Nintendo will publish the game in NA like the remakes.

I think this is it.

It would be interesting if SE assumed that the switch (NX at the time) was going to be on par with current consoles, ps4 and xboxone, then were shown other wise later. It did seem strange that SE jumped the gun on the next nintendo console before everyone else and even before nintendo themselves made any real announcement at that point.

Eolz

Sounds to me like they're waiting for some event with Nintendo, be it E3 (lolno), a japanese Direct or TGS.

Unison

Why would they do a reveal at a global event for a game that will very likely only be in Japan for over a year?

I think the most likely scenario there would be that it is getting a rapid, Nintendo-funded western release.

More likely, the Switch port will come later.

Zedark

To not even say the game will not launch with the other versions is very weird. I suppose it sounds to me like Nintendo is reserving the news of the release date for themselves? I suppose it could be in the Direct or saved for E3 (but E3 seems weird for a game like DQ).

Maybe, but I would find it strange Nintendo would keep the userbase for Switch in suspense just to announce it themselves at a later date. We already know it's coming, so it's not like the are announcing a surprise port or anything. If it comes tomorrow, then that would be a possible scenario, but if not, then I highly doubt Nintendo has reserved the release date announcement.
I think the most likely scenario there would be that it is getting a rapid, Nintendo-funded western release.

So, no PS4 version in the West or a PS4 version in the West later on? PS4 is the focus for the (alleged but highly likely) Western release, so I doubt SE will want this.

I will wait until tomorrows direct. that being said... i wouldnt be surprised if this gets released much later than PS4, 3DS maybe with some additional content to make up for it.

hongcha

I think the Switch version will release either December or next year, and it will have some bonus content tossed in to get people to buy again.

ggx2ac

Uhh that sounds like an unrealistic scenario. Sure, Nintendo could fund it like they did for Dragon Quest 7 and 8 but that took years for it to happen since their original Japan releases.

Unless Dragon Quest sells in the west like it does in Japan, I don't think Nintendo is going to rapidly bring it over.

Inuhanyou

The PS4 version would not exist if they were not planning on selling DQ11 overseas, the costs to make it just don't match at all for the Japanese userbase tally

SS

ßig

Unconfirmed Member
I think Nintendo is publishing the Switch version, or at least heavily involved in the port.

Shiggy

ßig;233714156 said:
I think Nintendo is publishing the Switch version, or at least heavily involved in the port.

Why would they though? Why would SE share profits on such a title with Nintendo? There's little doubt it will sell well in Japan.

Most likely the port is just not ready yet or they haven't even started working on it.

Zedark

Why would they though? Why would SE share profits on such a title with Nintendo? There's little doubt it will sell well in Japan.

There is little doubt at the moment, but maybe they made the deal before it was clear to Square Enix that Switch would sell well? In that case, they might be expecting Wii U - Gamecube tier sales and covering their behind just in case.
its interested how they worded the reply... "we cannot say today."
Yeah, feels a bit iffy. It seems to possibly maybe hint at a potential announcement in the Direct? We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

Unison

Uhh that sounds like an unrealistic scenario. Sure, Nintendo could fund it like they did for Dragon Quest 7 and 8 but that took years for it to happen since their original Japan releases.

Unless Dragon Quest sells in the west like it does in Japan, I don't think Nintendo is going to rapidly bring it over.

It's definitely hard to parse because Nintendo has supported the series in the West (most of the DS/3DS games wouldn't have gotten translations without them) yet Square seems to indicate that the PS4 is a key platform for the series with its releases of DQH1/2 and DQB.

I'd be shocked by exclusivity, but maybe not timed exclusivity?

Again, though, I think it's more likely that the Switch port is not going to launch alongside the other ones. It's probably just an enhanced / ultimate version that combines PS4 and 3DS features.

Time will tell, I suppose.

sfried

Nintendo (of America/Europe) had largely been responsible with localizing and bringing over the Dragon Quest games to the West. They've also done some of the promotional work as well.

Shiggy

Nintendo (of America/Europe) had largely been responsible with localizing and bringing over the Dragon Quest games to the West. They've also done some of the promotional work as well.

Why would that affect the Japanese release though?

sfried

Why would that affect the Japanese release though?

Exclusive distribution agreements. That, and they want to promote the PS4/3DS releases first primarily, before talking about other platforms.

That way when DQXI for Switch releases later, S-E Japan gets to double dip on on a recent release a la I am Setsuna and Dragon Quest Heroes I & II.

In other words, maximize sales.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Unprecednted partnerships

I guess this sarcastic response making light of companies claiming to give Nintendo support and yet not delivering on said promise in reference to EA's infamous statement would be apt if not for the fact Square just announced a release date for DQXI for a Nintendo system.

Unison

Yeah, given Nintendo's investment in the series, I don't think you're wildly off base.

I could imagine some sort of timed exclusivity (in the West only) or exclusive feature set (e.g. amiibo support) for the Switch version.

It's definitely a strange marketing approach in any case.

TrutaS

Why not clear the air completely if it's definitely not coming on the same date? Bit strange, they must have some arrangement with Nintendo, perhaps some hardware related announcement such as custom joycons or something like that (maybe just a skinned console).

Probably reading way too much into it.

Inuhanyou

DQ sells 3-4 million units regularly. thats more than enough expected sales for a PS4 game

Not gonna be anywhere close to 3 to 4 million on PS4 in Japan. Lucky to even get 1 million. Only FF15 has broken that milestone and only just barely

Machina

Banned
What would GAF honestly prefer, an up-resed version of the 3DS game that runs 1080@60 or a downgraded version of the PS4 one that runs at 900@30 docked at best?

Personally, after playing so much Zelda, I'd rather see them take a punt on the PS4 version and see what magic they can weave on the hardware. Nintendo have already set the benchmark with a launch title.

Top Bottom