• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square on DQ11 Switch: Still planned but no announcement. Can't discuss release date.

Could be development difficulties, or a lack of timeliness with Switch devkits.

Could also be that a Switch version doesn't add to existing numbers, it only eats away at PS4 and 3DS numbers. The two current models supplement each other, a Switch version is inherently parasitic. It would make more sense to release later and not give people any reason to wait.

Could be all those things.

Zedark

What would GAF honestly prefer, an up-resed version of the 3DS game that runs 1080@60 or a downgraded version of the PS4 one that runs at 900@30 docked at best?

Personally, after playing so much Zelda, I'd rather see them take a punt on the PS4 version and see what magic they can weave on the hardware. Nintendo have already set the benchmark with a launch title.

I prefer the look of the PS4 version personally, so I hope they go the PS4 route for the Switch version.

does anybody think the switch version could include all three graphic styles?

I love all of them (the HD version, the chibi-esque 3DS version and the old school 2D version)

A version with the ability to toggle between all three styles would be so great... i mean just look at the 3DS version how faithfully they recreated the 2D DQ feel. it could be a SNES game really

ggx2ac

Why not clear the air completely if it's definitely not coming on the same date? Bit strange, they must have some arrangement with Nintendo, perhaps some hardware related announcement such as custom joycons or something like that (maybe just a skinned console).

Probably reading way too much into it.

I'd go with them wanting to have 3DS owners double dip on the Switch version.

Hence not giving a clear release date.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What would GAF honestly prefer, an up-resed version of the 3DS game that runs 1080@60 or a downgraded version of the PS4 one that runs at 900@30 docked at best?

Personally, after playing so much Zelda, I'd rather see them take a punt on the PS4 version and see what magic they can weave on the hardware. Nintendo have already set the benchmark with a launch title.

If the hardware can run the PS4 version in any capacity, why would they not go for that? I don't understand those folks who say they would ever go with 3DS version. Switch is infinitely closer to PS4 than it ever will be to 3DS, even in handheld mode.

sinonobu

Banned
I may be delusional but I think switch version would be shown off at the upcoming Direct.

Square could of simply said that the game is coming after ps4 and 3ds ver but they chose to say that they cant comment on it.

Unison

I love all of them (the HD version, the chibi-esque 3DS version and the old school 2D version)

A version with the ability to toggle between all three styles would be so great... i mean just look at the 3DS version how faithfully they recreated the 2D DQ feel. it could be a SNES game really

Yeah, if it's the "ultimate version" with a later release date that would explain a lot about S-E's cagey responses.

Shiggy

Exclusive distribution agreements. That, and they want to promote the PS4/3DS releases first primarily, before talking about other platforms.

That way when DQXI for Switch releases later, S-E Japan gets to double dip on on a recent release a la I am Setsuna and Dragon Quest Heroes I & II.

In other words, maximize sales.

If Nintendo has any involvement, it would be for publishing the game outside of Japan. That wouldn't stop SE from announcing info or releasing the game though.

In fact, Nintendo only published the DQ games on DS and 3DS because SE didn't see much commercial benefit in doing so. And the sales of the last two 3DS ports kinda show that this opinion had its merits.

Zedark

A version with the ability to toggle between all three styles would be so great

Yeah, it could happen. If the 3DS version is easy to port to the Switch (due to the overhead, perhaps), then I can see them do it if the Switch version is late. If it does turn out to launch at the same time after all, then I don't see it happening, as it would take all appeal away from the 3DS (since Switch would be a better version of those visuals, rather than a lesser version of the PS4 visuals).
I may be delusional but I think switch version would be shown off at the upcoming Direct.

Square could of simply said that the game is coming after ps4 and 3ds ver but they chose to say that they cant comment on it.
Of course it could happen. You would only be delusional if you were sure it would appear at the Direct, otherwise it's a perfectly valid theory (don't let Duckroll or anyone else tell you otherwise), even if not close to a guarantee.

watershed

Banned

I'd take an uprezzed 3ds version in a heartbeat. The artstyle looks sweet and uprezzed textures and good AA would do wonders.

oti

Banned

That would be nice but I don't think so. They want to sell the 3DS version. That should be the money-making version here.

yeah it is strange how they worded it.

also having a Mainline non-Online DQ game announced multiplatform is really unprecedented but at the same time having a Mainline non-Online DQ game released on a platform that just launched is also unprecedented.

with their old strategy (release on whatever sold most) it should be a 3DS only game.
That would be nice but I don't think so. They want to sell the 3DS version. That should be the money-making version here.

the 3DS version is going to sell the most no matter what anyways. that also explains the hefty pricetag on the PS4 version. they expect it to sell way less and want to milk the userbase.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Could also be that a Switch version doesn't add to existing numbers, it only eats away at PS4 and 3DS numbers. The two current models supplement each other, a Switch version is inherently parasitic. It would make more sense to release later and not give people any reason to wait.

Yes.
a difficult situation "glboally" for the Switch development, I'd say. Maybe this is the reasoning behind the lack of games announced so far, alongside the Wii U "heritage" that made difficult for third parties to see the Switch as a safe bet before the release.

I wonder if this has to do anything with technical limitations or they are looking for a unique way to play the game on Switch.

As in PS4 aesthetics in docked mode and 3DS in handheld mode.
Other than differences of inputs like touch control versus motion, it doesn't really make sense for docked and undocked mode to drastically differ. It's just a difference of GPU speed.

Though I too do wonder if they are hoping to do something else unique with it, to get more triple dippers.

Yes.
a difficult situation "glboally" for the Switch development, I'd say. Maybe this is the reasoning behind the lack of games announced so far, alongside the Wii U "heritage" that made difficult for third parties to see the Switch as a safe bet before the release.

there is no globally difficult switch development situation. snakepass a game developed on UE4 was released the same day with graphics and performance being quite good. of course thats a rather short game but still.

due to supply constraints in july Switch will be sub 2 million in Japan by end of July.. thats not a userbase where a game that usually sells 3-4 millions wants to be released. also the switch version will be in direct competition to the PS4 version as you said (probably) while 3DS and PS4 versions do complement each other.

unrelated but: i really think DQ11 is meant to be enjoyed inside and outside though. a cross save feature between the 3DS and PS4 versions would be incredible...

killatopak

I'd go 1080p 60 really. It also helps that I prefer the DQ VIII look rather than the super realistic.

Anybody hoping for an ultimate edition is just setting up for disappointment especially with file sizes on cart. Now as a DLC though, that would be more plausible.

Zedark

This reasoning could be applied in the same manner to PS4 and XB1 versions of games, right? If you assume there is no new audience at all with Switch, then this would be true, but that assumption can be levered at any group of systems in the same space (dedicated console, handheld).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
there is no globally difficult switch development situation. snakepass a game developed on UE4 was released the same day with graphics and performance being quite good. of course thats a rather short game but still.

wasn't referred to UE4 technical issues at all.
but to the complex situation described by Alberto.

higher end development compared to 3ds
lower tech capabilities compared to ps4
way lower install base (both global and consequently, active) than both 3DS and PS4
wii u heritage (for the pre-release kick off of developments)

Switch development isn't as smooth in terms of pipeline as we probably think, but the opposite. before greenlight a full effort team working on a switch game, almost every software house has better opportunities right now on the market

Why is the wording strange? It's just that they have nothing to announce today.
Less than 3 months from the release of the 3DS and PS4 versions, they damn well know whether the Switch version will release at the same time. But won't actually say so?

jonno394

due to supply constraints in july Switch will be sub 2 million in Japan by end of July.. thats not a userbase where a game that usually sells 3-4 millions wants to be released. also the switch version will be in direct competition to the PS4 version as you said (probably) while 3DS and PS4 versions do complement each other.

I don't quite get your point here, especially when we all know the game will move the most units on 3DS (3m+) and the PS4 will be around 1m.

Zedark

Less than 3 months from the release of the 3DS and PS4 versions, they damn well know whether the Switch version will release at the same time. But won't actually say so?

I agree with this, especially since they have been considering the Switch release since July 2015. They must know what's the deal with the Switch version, they choose not to share it at this moment, at least that's how I see it.

Shiggy

They aren't making any announcements on the Switch version today. Not even about the game's releasedate.

ggx2ac

Probably they'll announce a release date in a later event hosted by Nintendo.

That doesn't sound like a big deal unless it was something that involved Square Enix as a whole.

DQXI announcement? Meh.
DQX announcement added? Meh.
FFXIV announcement added? Meh.
New games to be announced for Switch? That could be interesting.

expel

unrelated but: i really think DQ11 is meant to be enjoyed inside and outside though. a cross save feature between the 3DS and PS4 versions would be incredible...
Well....there is a feature where save file can generate password that can be used on all platforms, and u can continue on different platform. However die to large save files only MC's name n story progression will work for this, gold and equips will be appropriate with the progression lol.

Oh and Square Enix did announce overseas (Asia) version of DQXI PS4 is coming out this winter. No 3DS Asia version announced.
My guess is this is part of the deal with sony, translate to Chinese.

I don't quite get your point here, especially when we all know the game will move the most units on 3DS (3m+) and the PS4 will be around 1m.

what im saying is that SE may speculate that releasing DQXI at a time where switch has a larger userbase with a unique selling point (whatever that is) may sell more overall copies than releasing it in July where the sales will be limited
Well....there is a feature where save file can generate password that can be used on all platforms, and u can continue on different platform. However die to large save files only MC's name n story progression will work for this, gold and equips will be appropriate with the progression lol.

okay... thats quite interesting.. they are really hoping that people will buy both versions huh?

oti

Banned

I want the PS4 version. If the Switch version turns out to be the 3DS version (which I don't expect) I'd get the game on PS4. If I wanted the 3DS game I'd buy the 3DS game. I'm sure the game looks fine on 3DS.

since this is turnbased i would be okay with 30 fps
i would like them to include the option to run 3DS graphics and 2D graphics though

expel

what im saying is that SE may speculate that releasing DQXI at a time where switch has a larger userbase with a unique selling point (whatever that is) may sell more overall copies than releasing it in July where the sales will be limited

okay... thats quite interesting.. they are really hoping that people will buy both versions huh?

Yeah, even that limited edition on their store actually has both versions in the box (i think)
Honestly with that price difference, 3DS version will sell 2 millions more than ps4 version.

wasn't referred to UE4 technical issues at all.
but to the complex situation described by Alberto.

higher end development compared to 3ds
lower tech capabilities compared to ps4
way lower install base (both global and consequently, active) than both 3DS and PS4
wii u heritage (for the pre-release kick off of developments)

Switch development isn't as smooth in terms of pipeline as we probably think, but the opposite. before greenlight a full effort team working on a switch game, almost every software house has better opportunities right now on the market

ah okay.. i do agree with the initial problems. the lack of launch games just showed that. however the switch has been selling very well so far and that will surely change the stance of many devs.

Yeah, even that limited edition on their store actually has both versions in the box (i think)
Honestly with that price difference, 3DS version will sell 2 millions more than ps4 version.

thats what i expect. DQ is more popular than FF even on Playstation platforms but with FFXV not even cracking a million i think it is probably going to be around 1 million while on 3DS it will be 2-3 million easily.

sinonobu

Banned
I honestly would prefer 3ds upgrade over PS4 version...

I don't want to play any more games on my 3ds after Switch...

kubus

That doesn't make the wording strange. "We don't have anything to announce today" is really standard PR talk. It just means they don't want to say anything yet. The reason for that is something we can only speculate about.

Maybe they just don't know yet? Could be porting issues, or they're still experimenting with trying to scale down the PS4 version to Switch but don't want to make any promises yet. Maybe they have some sort of timed exclusivity deal with Sony so they simply can't talk about the Switch version yet? Or some deal with Nintendo?

deleted

That's a weird way to phrase this..

They should be pretty far along with the version by now, if they are still even considering a day and date release for the Switch.
If they don't want to bait customers into waiting further for preorders, they would just come out and say that the version is releasing later this year.

They could also release a screenshot to show the progress of this version, if they wanted to release the game near the release date of the other versions.

This just seems like a weird way to handle things.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ah okay.. i do agree with the initial problems. the lack of launch games just showed that. however the switch has been selling very well so far and that will surely change the stance of many devs.

I really hope so.
Worrying thing is that DQXI was among the few games announced before the release, with SE being the most pro-active software house on Switch and still, issues happened (probably as Alberto explained)

I really hope so.
Worrying thing is that DQXI was among the few games announced before the release, with SE being the most pro-active software house on Switch and still, issues happened (probably as Alberto explained)
i dont think DQXI not being announced today is worrying. they reinforced that its still comming.
That's a weird way to phrase this..

They should be pretty far along with the version by now, if they are still even considering a day and date release for the Switch.
If they don't want to bait customers into waiting further for preorders, they would just come out and say that the version is releasing later this year.

They could also release a screenshot to show the progress of this version, if they wanted to release the game near the release date of the other versions.

This just seems like a weird way to handle things.

weird but it may have reasons.. many people including me are speculating that it may get announced at the nintendo direct tomorrow

Zedark

i dont think DQXI not being announced today is worrying. they reinforced that its still comming.
What would be worry in is that they would be treat in Switch as a second platform that is for double dip money, not a viable platform in its own right. Would suck of they kept doing this stuff, though I think they won't as Switch becomes bigger and bigger.

deleted

weird but it may have reasons.. many people including me are speculating that it may get announced at the nintendo direct tomorrow

Could be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully we'll get some information soon and this would have normally been the platform to announce stuff, even if it was just - 'hey, I wouldn't have something TODAY, but who knows what's coming TOMORROW' *wink* *wink*

Could be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Hopefully we'll get some information soon and this would have normally been the platform to announce stuff, even if it was just - 'hey, I wouldn't have something TODAY, but who knows what's coming TOMORROW' *wink* *wink*

i certainly wouldnt bet on it either

Shahed

I hope the Switch version is based on the 3DS. After playing on the Switch, I can nver go back to 3DS again. Besides I have my worries about the 3DS game being localised, but the Switch game based on 3DS should be fine

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This "3DS version upgraded" nonsense needs to stop. It's either the PS4 version or a custom one.

But is it really nonsense? People like the look of the 3DS version since it's more in line with the classic DQ look but at the same time would like it with the best image quality possible.

Mokujin

Expected, my guess is the game is a scaled down PS4 port so that will take a bit of time, they certainly have a general idea how to do it now that Heroes port was done.

If it was a 3DS version they would certainly be able to do it really, really fast.

Cerium

Expected, my guess is the game is a scaled down PS4 port so that will take a bit of time, they certainly have a general idea how to do it now that Heroes port was done.

If it was a 3DS version they would certainly be able to do it really, really fast.

I'm pretty sure Heroes doesn't use UE4 and was done by a totally different team.

Top Bottom