• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

bridegur

JWong said:
I really never understood why people want Criterion to make SSX, and I might just be bias, but EA Canada has the expertise since we live beside several of the best ski mountains in the world.

Criterion has experience with board-based games. I think they could pull it off. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter as I'm certain the only new SSX that EA is willing to give us will be an iPhone game.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Nappuccino said:
I hope to god it doesn't mean its a cell phone game.
Looking into it some more, I think it might…

Nobody does sports simulations better than EA - have you played Madden NFL 11, son? - but there's something to be said for the publisher's series of arcade sports games under the hilariously titled EA Big label. It's where snowboarding series supreme SSX hails from, after all.

EA Mobile long ago announced work on an iPhone and iPod touch-specific instalment of the much-loved series, but it disappeared from the radar last winter. Enquiries lodged with the publisher were met with a firm "no comment." That's likely to change soon as SSX nears its rumoured winter 2010 release.

According to a source close to the studio, the game was pushed back due to a combination of development delays and a desire to wait for the announcement of new iPhone and iPod touch hardware.

The game wasn't going to make it onto the App Store before the end of winter 2009, so the decision was made to push it back a full year in order to catch winter 2010 and the new iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch.

And so here we are, September 2010 and SSX is once again back on the radar for this winter. While it's not clear if the game will be out in December (please!) or whether it'll have to wait until January, either way it's finally coming soon.

There was also a domain registration for "ssxfirstdescent.com" through EA's usual registrar the other day, and that title sort of sounds like something targeted for mobiles. If I were to guess that would sound like a port of the game, which is better than nothing IMO. (Still disappointing though.)

Mrbob

Kafel said:
SSX Kinect

You are the snowboard.

nqrbeu.jpg

Top Bottom