• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

The best part of this thread is that it reminded me of Finished Symphony, which is still the shit years later. Such an amazing track to ride to.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Burnout Paradise is one of my favorite games this generation (and the play style is almost like SSX3) so the coupling of SSX and Criterion almost seems destined. I'd spooge so hard if this is true.

GoutPatrol said:
I DON'T WANT NEED FOR SPEED.

I WANT SSX.

DO THAT CRITERION.

Quoting this so the message gets across.

Seriously, no more NFS for awhile. They upped their game with 2009's NFS (which I forgot the name to because there's damn so many of them now), but take a break and work on SSX!

Gagaman

I'd love to see Criterion make a Road Rash game (could just be the bike mode from Paradise with weapons for all I care) but SSX is good news too. :D

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jetsetfluken said:
Quoting this so the message gets across.

Seriously, no more NFS for awhile. They upped their game with 2009's NFS (which I forgot the name to because there's damn so many of them now), but take a break and work on SSX!
Criterion is developing the Need for Speed game releasing in Q3: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696411/Criterion-Developing-Need-For-Speed-Game.html

It seems to be called Need for Speed: Red Line.

The one in Q4 seems to be Need for Speed: Shift 2.

2vct0xs.png

That said, they're probably also making an SSX game. Many studios are actually large enough to handle two projects at once.

Hawk SE

Uh oh, DREAMS CRUSHED

I wrote @CriterionGames about the SSX rumors:

@HawkxSx
False I'm afraid. We're doing this thing called Need for Speed. It's all about tarmac not snow. We just dig SSX for fun...

--------------------

I mean I'm taking this as NO NO NO. Or...please look at our NFS game first, then we'll talk SSX....

bridegur

Hawk xSx said:
Uh oh, DREAMS CRUSHED

@HawkxSx
False I'm afraid. We're doing this thing called Need for Speed. It's all about tarmac not snow. We just dig SSX for fun...

--------------------

I mean I'm taking this as NO NO NO. Or...please look at our NFS game first, then we'll talk SSX....

I'm crushed.

Minamu

Great, no purchase! This calls for Donald Duck :(

hHQocpkVk.jpg

On the other hand, what else would they tell us? The probability of them actually saying something like, "Yes we are making the next SSX & it's gonna be awesome. It comes out November 3rd 2011" to a completely random twitter is pretty low, I'd wager :lol

And Shenmue III is finally coming out

Hawk SE

Yeah that's why i'm leaning more they want attention on NFS, and then will tell us about SSX after it's release. Don't want to screw up the Hype-train.

S. L.

they just answered and dismissed the SSX rumors to get a kick out of the GAF reaction in this thread *shakesfist*
i know SSX is coming!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:
Criterion is developing the Need for Speed game releasing in Q3: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696411/Criterion-Developing-Need-For-Speed-Game.html

It seems to be called Need for Speed: Red Line.

The one in Q4 seems to be Need for Speed: Shift 2.

*snip*

That said, they're probably also making an SSX game. Many studios are actually large enough to handle two projects at once.

Not to go off topic, but that list all but confirms Natal will get a EA Sports Active title this year... :)

Xater

Hawk xSx said:
Uh oh, DREAMS CRUSHED

@HawkxSx

--------------------

Told you guys, but everyone gets hyped over nothign without thinkign how Criterion works. Maybe the will do SSX down the road but certainly not now with NFS on their hands.

Yes they may be actually working on one right now but you will not see that until next year I would assume. Right now it's all about NFS.

Hawk xSx said:
Uh oh, DREAMS CRUSHED

@HawkxSx

--------------------

Assy

You know what? When you try to announce a game, and people spend the entire time talking about another game they want instead of the game you are trying to announce, well maybe that should tell you that you are making the wrong game.

I <3 Memes said:
You know what? When you try to announce a game, and people spend the entire time talking about another game they want instead of the game you are trying to announce, well maybe that should tell you that you are making the wrong game.

Seriously. Unless they're making Need For Speed: Burnout Edition, WE WANT SSX!!

Mrbob

I <3 Memes said:

This. Screw NFS, give me another SSX.

Minamu

I <3 Memes said:
Truer words have never been spoken. Damn.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I <3 Memes said:
Need For Speed has been selling around 5 million copies a year lately, even with the most utterly shittacular Undercover: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=381903

While people here may hate that they're making it, this is completely logical.

I <3 Memes said:
This is how I feel about EA Montreal. They go and make a series of great snowboard games and then go on to make fantastic AAA titles like Boogie and Army of Two. :|

Does EA just not like money or what?

HallwayGiant said:
This is how I feel about EA Montreal. They go and make a series of great snowboard games and then go on to make fantastic AAA titles like Boogie and Army of Two. :|

Does EA just not like money or what?
Let's be realistic. SSX On Tour and Blur just never lit up the sales chart. Other snowboarding series didn't either (Amped is dead, Stoked is still very niche, Shaun White bombed on HD Twins), so why should EA think it has a chance to crack the 5 million that a NFS almost guarantees?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Hate to bump and be the bringer of bad news, but:

Peter Moore said:
SSX is a fabulous piece of intellectual property. You never say never, but there's nothing to say right now... I think we'd have to look at how you bring back SSX's snowboarding mechanic and make it relevant. It's been a number of years, some people may not even have played an SSX game. You've got to look at the current marketplace and Shaun White coming back again.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/moore-no-word-on-new-ssx

They could easily make a killing on a new SSX. There's not as many snowboarding games as there used to be but I think that's even more of a reason why a new game would be justified. So sad.

Minamu

Such statements don't mean jack imho. That's not how any company, in any field, reveal new products anyway. You never see new products revealed in great detail just because a journalist asked if product x was coming out.

If someone randomly say "So, I've heard that SSX4 is being developed by Criterion, any truth to that?", the answer is never ever gonna be "Why yes, you're absolutely right. It's called SSX4: Super Awesomeness, and it's coming out December 4th, 2010, for 20 bucks and the preorder bonuses are real snowboards". That never happens :) So until company X releases a proper official yes, the official word will continue to be no, true or not.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Noticed these tweets from the veracious_shit gossip Twitter account today…

Between Alice, SSX, Syndicate, Medal of Honor, Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, I get a feeling EA really wants to be itself from 10 years ago.

Not sure what tweet that immediately followed means though.
(Yes, one of those things may not be like the others in at least one way. I'll leave you to figure out which.)

slider

Make it like the first! I loved that shit and played the demo disc I got with my PS2 over and over and over and over (you get the idea). I even remember wincing in thought of my knees when Zac landed from a great height. What a fucking great game.

JWong

Banned
I really never understood why people want Criterion to make SSX, and I might just be bias, but EA Canada has the expertise since we live beside several of the best ski mountains in the world.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
JWong said:
I really never understood why people want Criterion to make SSX, and I might just be bias, but EA Canada has the expertise since we live beside several of the best ski mountains in the world.

SSX is not about realism, it's about fun.

Top Bottom