• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX 4 being developed by Criterion ?

epmode

I missed the varied locations from SSX1 (THAT AWESOME HAWAII LEVEL) and Tricky but yeah, the free roaming mountain added a lot to the game. And it had a level select too!

And really, there's nothing stopping someone from putting in the insane Tricky-style levels into a free-roam mountain. Lots of games handle wildly varying environments with streaming (WOW, Uncharted).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Snakeyes said:
"Going down the whole mountain in 30 minutes with complete freedom was an enlightening experience."

Or something like that.

Yeah, something like that. Starting from the highest peak and free-riding all the way down the mountain was so awesome in 3; I'd be really disappointed if the game was a series of discreete tracks with no exploration (except for finding shortcuts) and zero freedom.

I don't think the lack of Tricky-crazy levels in 3 was because they couldn't do them with their streaming engine, but rather because they wanted the mountain to feel a bit more real.

RoadHazard said:
I don't think the lack of Tricky-crazy levels in 3 was because they couldn't do them with their streaming engine, but rather because they wanted the mountain to feel a bit more real.

That is what makes Tricky so much better, though. The crazy tracks are hugely important to making the game as enjoyable as possible.

charlequin said:
That is what makes Tricky so much better, though. The crazy tracks are hugely important to making the game as enjoyable as possible.

That along with the bigger presence of character personalities, and rivalries. Trying to add "realism" to the series completely went away from what I loved about SSX Tricky in the first place which is why I have a bit of hate in my heart when it comes to SSX3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Net_Wrecker said:
That along with the bigger presence of character personalities, and rivalries. Trying to add "realism" to the series completely went away from what I loved about SSX Tricky in the first place which is why I have a bit of hate in my heart when it comes to SSX3.

I feel the complete opposite. The move to a more realistic feel (but still really over the top), combined with an open-world experience and a great sense of freedom, is what made SSX3 the best snowboarding game ever in my book.

We'll just have to see who of us gets their wish fulfilled. If the end result is SSX Tricky 2, I likely won't be getting it.

Snakeyes

In terms of character customization, I feel that the main characters' stats should be set in stone along with a custom character creation mode for the player. There should be a stat cap, but a custom character's cap should always be a bit lower than a main character's. That way, there is still an incentive to use the latter.

For example, my custom character could have a 10/10 speed stat but Brodi will always be slightly faster because of his 11/10 stat.

RoadHazard said:
I feel the complete opposite. The move to a more realistic feel (but still really over the top), combined with an open-world experience and a great sense of freedom, is what made SSX3 the best snowboarding game ever in my book.

We'll just have to see who of us gets their wish fulfilled. If the end result is SSX Tricky 2, I likely won't be getting it.

Well I can't fault you for liking SSX3 cause it was a great game, just not what I wanted. The over the top feeling was really toned down, and the mountain felt more important than creating unique tracks or even the characters themselves which made the game feel boring to me after a while. I'd have no problem with an open mountain if they could bring the personality back to the game, but it didn't feel like that in SSX3. Character rivalries with big personalities, and over the top tracks >>> an open mountain.

Decado

I do not like free roam racing games, though for SSX it isn't as bad as most (still prefer the first two games, though).

I just want a proper current gen Burnout, damnit.

jetsetfluken said:
The unique personalities of all the characters needs to come back, but the RIGHT way. Not like SSX Blur.

Thought I was the only one who liked the unique personalities. Even if Tricky felt like som expansion pack it still is my favourite SSX ever. Due to the fun level designs/unique personalities.

For all the talk people give about the unique personalities in the SSX games, the only characters I ever remember are Eddie, Kaori and Psymon. And I've probably put something like forty or fifty hours into SSX Tricky. :\

RoadHazard said:
Yeah, something like that. Starting from the highest peak and free-riding all the way down the mountain was so awesome in 3; I'd be really disappointed if the game was a series of discreete tracks with no exploration (except for finding shortcuts) and zero freedom.

While we had players that could saw themselves in half w/ a snowboard or land 100+foot jumps after doing 4 back flips.

Snakeyes

I haven't played Tricky in 8 years but I still remember Elise (poster girl from Canada), Kaori (Japanese chick), Psymon (spiky hair dude in a wifebeater), Brodi (blonde surfer guy), Mac (young dude that looks the most like a real snowboarder), Moby (British black guy wearing a helmet and goggles), Eddie (breakdancer with the yellow fro) and Marisol (hawt latina).

That's much better than most racing games I've played besides Mario Kart.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Snakeyes said:
I haven't played Tricky in 8 years but I still remember Elise (poster girl from Canada), Kaori (Japanese chick), Psymon (spiky hair dude in a wifebeater), Brodi (blonde surfer guy), Mac (young dude that looks the most like a real snowboarder), Moby (British black guy wearing a helmet and goggles), Eddie (breakdancer with the yellow fro) and Marisol (hawt latina).

That's much better than most racing games I've played besides Mario Kart.

To be honest, the characters in these games are completely uninteresting to me. That's not what I care about, I just want some sweet snowboarding. SSX3 brought that.

Though I admit it was nice that there was a Swedish character in 3 (even though I've never met a Swedish person whose surname is Rolig - "rolig" basically means "fun" or "funny").

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Holy shit if this is true. I fucking love the SSX series. I hope they bring back Garibaldi, that was my favorite track from Tricky.

AndyD

aka andydumi
RoadHazard said:

The mountain was epic. A 45 minute ride from top to bottom if I remember right.

They could do crazy tricks like Tricky. They had some areas where it was totally possible to do similar crazyness.

Or they could have you helicopter to special areas around the world, exhibitions and whatnot and thus have both a mountain experience as well as those crazy side cities/locations all tied up in a career type mode.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Niblet said:
And now we post videos featuring our favorite tracks from SSX past. Bonus points if the character voice over is not english :lol

I'll start: SSX Tricky - Tokyo Megaplex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY_R0UoSTBw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMlEP3JgTw
SSX Tricky - Alaska
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYqJ7z5u4M0

SSX Tricky - Mercury City Meltdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-v2XW-9AI

Count me in the group hoping for a SSX Tricky style game. Not a fan of the mountain approach.

Curufinwe

AndyD said:
The mountain was epic. A 45 minute ride from top to bottom if I remember right.

They could do crazy tricks like Tricky. They had some areas where it was totally possible to do similar crazyness.

Or they could have you helicopter to special areas around the world, exhibitions and whatnot and thus have both a mountain experience as well as those crazy side cities/locations all tied up in a career type mode.

Exactly. There's no need to dumb SSX 4 down to be like Tricky.

bridegur

I think if Criterion really is handling it, they'll go with an open-mountain style like SSX. People also shouldn't forget that Criterion has experience with board-based games. Neither were terrible, but I hope their take on SSX is better than these:

TrickStyle
AirBlade

Criterion doing a new SSX?

2ue5yrl.gif

I totally trust in Criterion to make it awesome.

Denzar

I see people taking this as confimartion...

It's far from confirmed...

It just hints that Criterion might be working on an SSX game..

And don't shoot me, but I liked On Tour. Soundtrack was amazing.

MultiCore

Count me in on wanting SSX4. Yes, I have Blur, but it's a joke compared to 1, Tricky, and 3. (Not even going to start on OT)

I'd really love it in 1080p, but I won't hold my breath for that. They've always done well with the audio though, so I'm looking forward to dimming the lights, cranking the sound, and hitting the slopes again.

What a great series.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I would be extremely happy if this was at E3. Please be at E3, and please feature full voice acting, including taunts and fights at the end of races.

HEY ZOE!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SSX3 is awesome and stuff (30 minute run) but one of my favorite moments in SSX was unlocking "Untracked" and having Finished Symphony playing in the soundtrack. spiderman_so_good.gif

Melchiah

S. L. said:
Mercury City Meltdown was just so awesome, my eyes popped out the first time i played it back in the day :lol
easily my favorite track

Tell me about it. I bought a PS2 coupled with SSX at the EU launchday, and after I started the game I just drooled in front of the TV. Shame though, that I couldn't afford a memory card until a week after that. :D

Chamber said:
Don't see too many people who rep the original SSX. It's still my favorite in the series too though Tricky isn't far behind.

I can imagine that many people prefer the newer entries and their bigger tracks, but to me the first one is still the best. It had the most fun and imaginative tracks, and IMO the newer versions of the tracks in Tricky were worse because they had added too much stuff into them and made them overcomplicated. Plus, AFAIK none of the later entires had adjustable camera view like the original had.

I think the best SSX was "Tricky". I say becuase of the music and the overall theme. The gameplay was solid and the level design was top notch. I don't think any other SSX had that "classic" vibe when you played it. The others were a little underwhelming in the "soul" department. Tricky just had a lot of heart to it. I love the series overall though.

JaseMath

Eh...I think On Tour is the best SSX. I love the sense of speed and it completely captures the boarding subculture. And though the openness of SSX3 is nice, I prefer the course design in On Tour as well. Wished it was compatible with the BC PS3's... :'(

dock

I would be happy if SSX3 worked on the PAL 360 for starters. :/ It's my favourite xbox game by a long shot. I have picked up the gamecube one because of this.

So yes, SSX3 again please. SSX On Tour was horrible, nothing like that.

SSX 3 was amazing, and I enjoyed 1080 avalanche alot too - it was a damn fast game. I can only imagine a critereon SSX would be fast as hell too.

As for the Tricky / 3 debate, I dont see why we cant have both sides on the same mountain, cold icy remote caves one side of the mountain and crazy levels on the other.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
SSX Tricky 2 please. I never got into the later games.

And damn, was I impressed at the size of the courses and the graphics when the first game arrived. Certainly the best launch title ever, imo.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I think the best SSX was "Tricky". I say becuase of the music and the overall theme. The gameplay was solid and the level design was top notch. I don't think any other SSX had that "classic" vibe when you played it. The others were a little underwhelming in the "soul" department. Tricky just had a lot of heart to it. I love the series overall though.

That's exactly it. Tricky had heart that the sequels were missing. The character chatter while racing, the atmosphere, the rivalries, etc. all brought a sense of fun to the whole game that I feel like was ripped in half for SSX3, and completely absent since then. The whole "create a character" didn't help the situation either. "Maining" a character like in Street Fighter and having to deal with their rival was a big part of the fun to me. The roster took a back seat after Tricky which was a huge disappointment.

Raide said:
With DJ Atomika hopefully...

That scumbag Atomica announced that Mac was warming up on the slopes for a new SSX back when Burnout Paradise released 2 years ago. He has made an enemy out of me.

Top Bottom