• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Demo: Feburary 21; (Euro PSN) February 22 [Up On Xbox Live/PSN]

SLV

Do you know if the shopto version has Mt. Fuji or did GAME get an exclusive on that?

Hmm, usually there are some cool pre order bonuses on most if not all of shopto stuff. And i am also not sure that MT Fuji is an exclusive at all in Europe. I thought that everyone in Europe simply got it ? If it is like that and only GAME got it, then i will be mad. The description in shopto doesn't mention in though, but it should be there right, at least i hope so ?

Didn't feel the demo. The older games give you more control over movement. This is much more autonomic, jerky experience. It lost a lot of it's appeal, despite the cool trailers.

Setups seem to mean less and sensation of weight is reduced. I felt like I was in snow in past games, now I feel like I'm boarding on plastic.

I think this is a downgrade from past SSX's. The finesse feels gone, and that matters a lot.

How long did you spend with it before this opinion? Cause after like 4 hours, I feel totally at home with the physics of the rider. You have to develop a good sense of when to ease up on the stick, when you can go full speed, when you can start your pre-wind, and when you should turn sharply. It takes time and memorization of the course. It definetely felt loose at first, but I'm controlling it with ease now, even when I need to fit into tight spaces, and so forth.

donarumo

Neo Member
I Didn't notice any frame rate issues other than when the initial helicopter flew in for the tutorial.

I do find the grind (non rails) using the left trigger will take some time to learn. Looking forward to perfecting it though.

Also did not get a sense for how late you can bail on a trick. It seems you can bail almost at ground level and not wipe out. Needs more testing on my part to learn the limits.

Ugh! Why is today a work day?

SLV

I can confirm that if you pre-order it for the PS 3 from shopto, you get MT. Fuji, just read it at shopto news site.

tribal24

Banned
Didn't feel the demo. The older games give you more control over movement. This is much more autonomic, jerky experience. It lost a lot of it's appeal, despite the cool trailers.

Setups seem to mean less and sensation of weight is reduced. I felt like I was in snow in past games, now I feel like I'm boarding on plastic.

I think this is a downgrade from past SSX's. The finesse feels gone, and that matters a lot.

i agree with this i just didn't find the right words to put it but this is exactly how i feel about it. The controls imo are horrible i just hate the analog feel.

Wow I suck at racing. My brain cant stop forcing my hands to do tricks and grab big air when I should just be maximizing my line and my speed. Just a heads-up in case anyone misses it in the menus, you can change your camera distance with the select button. It helps.

I've tricked run 3 times and raced twice. I've seen one framerate drop and that was in the helicopter on the way to the tutorial. Fear not, people.

soultron

Banned
Wow I suck at racing. My brain cant stop forcing my hands to do tricks and grab big air when I should just be maximizing my line and my speed. Just a heads-up in case anyone misses it in the menus, you can change your camera distance with the select button. It helps.

I've tricked run 3 times and raced twice. I've seen one framerate drop and that was in the helicopter on the way to the tutorial. Fear not, people.

Remember to jump early when you're hitting kickers so that you can flatten your trajectory when racing!

SLV

Wait, it mostly is getting updated after 4pm and we have now 10:30am EST?

What am I supposed to do in all this time?? :(

E6gFz.png

Suairyu

Banned
As an UK-er, I'm able to create an American PSN account and download the demo at the same time as you guys, right? And then still play it with my EU PSN ID?

krpiper

So I did maybe a half a dozen runs on both tracks.

To me it seems like I dont feel like I'm "in control" at times. Is that just me? Or is it the speed of the game? or do I just need more time with the game

its been years since I played a old SSX

So I did maybe a half a dozen runs on both tracks.

To me it seems like I dont feel like I'm "in control" at times. Is that just me? Or is it the speed of the game? or do I just need more time with the game

its been years since I played a old SSX

It's pretty dang fast. I felt like I was just barely throwing tricks down, not even thinking about what I was doing.

bryehn

Wow, really surprised at how much I don't hate the new control scheme, like that you can use the stick or buttons. Though, I wish you could still nose/tail press with the right stick and have jump only mapped to A.

Also surprised at how bad I sucked with the classic controls, just couldn't grind to save my life. Guess it has been 4-5 years since I played an SSX game (not counting Blur).

Graphics aren't much to right home about, but still looks pretty good. Was also surprised that they had 5-6 songs just in the demo.

sonicmj1

I just did the tutorials in the demo. I hope I won't have to repeat them.

From what I could tell, the game feels really fast, faster than I remember SSX3 being. And while I wouldn't say I was out of control, it's a little bit looser.

I was trying out the stick controls, and I think once I get used to them, it'll be pretty good. But for the moment, I can't quite wrap my head around pre-winding with the stick. I keep hitting every button and I wind up accidentally rewinding and things like that. My instincts take over (I think I'm even hitting the equivalent of the "tweak grab" button in the middle of jumps). I had no idea how deeply ingrained they were.

I look forward to playing the crap out of it when I get back from work.

SLV

Dammit, off shoveling snow, the wait for the demo is driving me insane, good thing we got a blizzard going on outside, lots of shoveling to sink some time.

Guanoape

Neo Member
The demo definitely gave me that old school SSX feeling. It's fast, the tricks are ridiculous, and there's this constant urge to break both your own and your friends' records. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the music, but that's what the custom soundtrack is for.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I loved ssx3/tricky but haven't played them in so long I don't remember what about them I miss.

Felt like I was either randomly mashing buttons or randomly swinging the stick for tricks.

LQX

Was not blown away but I liked it. Tricking seemed easy. Wished it looked a bit better and the sense of speed was up a notch. Also rewind seems more of hassle that great feature as there is slowness to it that tells me I will hardly use it.

And why did they give Zoe a British voice? Yuck, but I guess it is better than the whiny boyish voice she had before

red731

So the US update is at 10pm CET. Better go to sleep now and then play for whole night and after that, go to work. Yay...

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Fooled around with the 360 demo before work this morning. My god... SSX is back. You dudes will not be disappointed.

sogood.gif

Body ready.

In other news god dammit why is newegg or amazon not price matching?

I'd have that shit on release day most likely if they did.

MercuryLS

Banned
As someone who played the shit out of SSX3, I can tell you it doesn't help. The mechanics are way different.

Yeah it feels really different, I'm used to using the A (or X on DS3) for crouching and getting ready for the next jump and I remember pressing and holding it before hitting the ground to get ready but now this button does tricks as well? It's throwing me off, gotta get used to it.

Gowans

Should you be holding A down while getting ready for a jump then?

I haven't played a SSX properly before but its that classic Tony Hawk muscle memory kicking in.

Deadman

Played through the race 4 or 5 times, feels pretty nice.

Cant seem to get uber tricks to come out every time for some reason, i think im doing it wrong.

bedlamite

The new trick system controls are more akin to the Amped games, which made heavy use of the L + R analog controls.

Definitely takes some getting used to, but I really think the standard control set works the best

MercuryLS

Banned

I haven't played a SSX properly before but its that classic Tony Hawk muscle memory kicking in.

Holding down A is crouching before a jump, usually what I do is hold A do some tricks, land then hold A again and wait for the next jump.

donarumo

Neo Member

Yeah, you can use the right control stick - down to crouch and up to jump but I prefer A down to crouch and then release to jump. You would then move the thumb to the right control stick to grab and trick.

The ubers are both triggers right?

Top Bottom