• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Backer Successfully Gets $2550 Refund

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
No, but it does make the game much more complex which is what was being pointed out...

I see.

Star Citizen should be released in episodes, ep 1 should be dogfighting in space, ep 2. add multiplayer, ep 3. add spacestations, ep 4. add planets, etc.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Lol what? Really?

As people said before the management behind this game is bad. The game itself has so many great ideas that people like me want in a space sim but I doubt we will see this game released if ever the way the developers envisioned it to be.

KKRT00

I see.

Star Citizen should be released in episodes, ep 1 should be dogfighting in space, ep 2. add multiplayer, ep 3. add spacestations, ep 4. add planets, etc.

Problem is that systems are interconnected.
If you do a game simpler at the beginning and then add depth layer on top of that, but that layer affect every other system than you add a lot of work.
Its better, easier and way, way faster to design and do the game from the ground up as a complex one, than do it incrementally.

---
As people said before the management behind this game is bad.
Its not managed badly. Stop repeating it like its true. Game is complex and takes time, period.
They havent even still passed the general production time for typical AAA game, let alone a MMO. 3.5 years for a company created from the ground up is not that long.
And most companies do not engage with community like CIG does and do not create public builds branches.

Problem is that systems are interconnected.
If you do a game simpler at the beginning and then add depth layer on top of that, but that layer affect every other system than you add a lot of work.
Its better, easier and way, way faster to design and do the game from the ground up as a complex one, than do it incrementally.

But they didn't build it complex, at the moment everything is a simple placeholder, you have magic drones repair your ship instead of the Repair Design doc, there's no wear and tear, there's no stances, jukes, injury or stamina system for the FPS, etc. Are you saying CIG did it wrong?

Its not managed badly. Stop repeating it like its true.

It is badly managed, they're delayed, overbudget, and have underdelivered against their own goals. They've redone and outsourced ships four times because they didn't have a final design, they're on the 11th character animation rig, fourth netcode redo, they spent years outsourcing FPS and two multiplayer maps and then scrapped the whole thing. It's a mess!

KKRT00

I already shutdown several of your posts. You accusationsr are false or just based on lack of understanding of systems you are comparing or complaining about.
Can you tell me what do you do for a living?

But they didn't build it complex, at the moment everything is a simple placeholder, you have magic drones repair your ship instead of the Repair Design doc, there's no wear and tear, there's no stances, jukes, injury or stamina system for the FPS, etc. Are you saying CIG did it wrong?
You are still talking about public alpha build, which doesnt have all they are working on.
Injury simulation system is already working ingame.
And those examples are not something that is really hard to implement to existing assets or system. Whole injury system is per rig based, you do it ones, it works everywhere automatically.
Repair depends of internal systems of the ship, which will be fully managed by Item System 2.0, which they talked about extensively and its finalizing development.
Its also build in complex way. All ships are made from standalone components that are interconnected in logical way. Every system on the ship has a purpose and they are build to be logically functional, not only from system point of view, but structures made for humans point of view.
All animations being same in 1st and 3rd view are being done, because they need to be done. This the complex part, so everything rig does is reflected with proper 1st person animation, but it also doesnt make player nauseous. You cannot just slap any animation into rig and expect it work, be function and look from FPP. Look for example for few Drake's combat animations from Uncharted 4 and then imagine seeing them from Drake's eyes.
Whole CryEngine back-end is being rebuild with handling all of those ships and its items in mind.
All network is being redone to handle thousands objects span over millions of kilometers on orbits and in space, ETC...
Whole game is being designed, engine being rewritten, pipelines adjusted to handle one big FPP space sim universe in MP environment.

It is badly managed, they're delayed, overbudget, and have underdelivered against their own goals. They've redone and outsourced ships four times because they didn't have a final design, they're on the 11th character animation rig, fourth netcode redo, they spent years outsourcing FPS and two multiplayer maps and then scrapped the whole thing. It's a mess!
Overbudget? Source!
As i said already few times, they changed goals when they were sure that procedural tech is a reality, not a dream for a future. They delayed everything to make game way better from the get go.

The character rig was not completely reworked, but heavily worked on several times, because no has done anything they are doing with animations before.
Development of things no one has done before is based on trial and error. You try till you get it right, there is no other magical way of doing it.
They even said that they solved a problem with animation rig that Frankfurt engineers were working on since Crysis 2 with few lines of code.
Sometimes its an idea or a hack that you need to discover to make it work, but you cannot find it, without trying to do it wrong first.

I wont even comment on more, because almost everything you say is false or misleading.
I think you need to spend more time on researching how things work in software development, instead making lists of things they didnt deliver or they delayed when you dont get the basics.

As people said before the management behind this game is bad. The game itself has so many great ideas that people like me want in a space sim but I doubt we will see this game released if ever the way the developers envisioned it to be.
I think it'll eventually get an actual release... but I don't think it'll encapsulate their entire vision as planned. Perhaps with content bumps over time? Or they'll just keep pushing everything back until it's all done lol

Top Bottom