• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Oh, come on. "They said I was dead, they said console was the future." Really?

It's clever, he has nobody to answer for. And it makes a bold statement.

Also lets us know there are no design limitations due to current console spec limits, and when it comes to space-sims there is a very limited audience anyway.. 90% of it are most likely hardcore PC gamers. So why not rally the troops and stir some shit up?

This looks awesome.

It's like my PC gaming childhood is coming back in form!

Although I'm feeling a bit skeptical after this, considering what a disappointment Freelancer turned out to be.:p
I never played that but I'm interested as I remember Starlancer on the Dreamcast being lovely.

Never did finish it though because of some bullshit laser cannon mission. :(

This trailer made me want to buy this thing

thrustmaster-hotas-x-joystick.jpg

just to play it

Looking forward to dust off mine when (chris roberts space sim) comes out

Arksy

Yay.

That's really all I can say. So happy.

Been waiting for a space combat game for so long I thought about making one myself.

Thank god someone else far more capable has. :)

CMDBob

Oh god yes. My hype level is so high right now! (Just finished a runthrough of the old Wing Commander games, too. Might play Starlancer or Freelancer next...) I got my golden ticket soon as I heard about this (and that was damn early, I was there within half an hour of the site going up.)

Corto

Ok too many threads about this but I'll not complain. That in-game footage gave me self-recreational material for a few weeks. Your move Volition, your move.

Munin

This looks incredible. Stunning. Now please don't let it be MP-based or F2P. With a semi-open world and a long, epic space opera campaign. Then I'll give you $500, Roberts.

It's clever, he has nobody to answer for. And it makes a bold statement.

Also lets us know there are no design limitations due to current console spec limits, and when it comes to space-sims there is a very limited audience anyway.. 90% of it are most likely hardcore PC gamers. So why not rally the troops and stir some shit up?

People thought the RPG audience was only on PC too, and then Skyrim went ahead and did gangbusters consoles. A well designed Space Sim could work on console IMO.

Perkel

Banned
People thought the RPG audience was only on PC too, and then Skyrim went ahead and did gangbusters consoles. A well designed Space Sim could work on console IMO.

Formula changed much. Back then most of RPG were party based isometric view. None of this is in today new RPGs for consoles. And they are inferior still to their PC brothers in therm of complexity

SparkTR

Skyrim is so far removed from the cRPGs of yesteryear it may as well be in a separate genre. Concessions have to be made for multiplatform development, and the space sim that publishers think the console audience wants probably wouldn't be the game Chris Roberts or his fans want.

Javaman

I don't see any way they could do it without dumbing it down for the console controls. The best PC space sims made use of a decent joystick and most of the keyboard. It might be a hard sell nowadays, but I hope whatever comes out makes good use of all those extra buttons. The Xwing games wouldn't have been nearly the same if they could be played with just a joystick.

Freelancer made some great compromises with using just the mouse. In fact It seemed to play a lot easier for me due to the accuracy of the mouse over the joystick. It would be easier to sell too since people wouldn't be required to buy a joystick.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I don't see any way they could do it without dumbing it down for the console controls. The best PC space sims made use of a decent joystick and most of the keyboard. It might be a hard sell nowadays, but I hope whatever comes out makes good use of all those extra buttons. The Xwing games wouldn't have been nearly the same if they could be played with just a joystick.

Freelancer made some great compromises with using just the mouse. In fact It seemed to play a lot easier for me due to the accuracy of the mouse over the joystick. It would be easier to sell too since people wouldn't be required to buy a joystick.
But Freelancer is basically drag the cursor over the enemy and hold click to win, spamming repair/recharge items when necessary. It feels like there's no skill in the dogfights and also no evolution in the game play, you constantly repeat the same pattern, just with more powerful guns/shields against more powerful enemies. It would be awful if it's anything like that. It would be much better to have simplified joystick driven controls instead (and better to not have them simplified at all). At least for flying controllers have enough axis and buttons for the primary functions. The game could also be rebalanced to not require energy redirecting etc on consoles, freeing up some buttons (the d-pad and stuff) for comms and things like that if necessary.

I could design a controller scheme that would allow you to play X-Wing on a single controller. It'd require either scrolling through menus with the d-pad and or using radial dials on RB and/or LB but its possible.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Could be the low quality stream but I think like, pretty much everything is tessellated...

Top Bottom