• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Pooya

Roberts will create Star Citizen without a publisher. He has private investment, but needs to do "an element" of crowd funding to raise between two and four million dollars and validate the private investors' valuation of the project. The game itself will cost between 12 million and 14 million dollars to create.
"I can make it for this price because I'm not making it inside the system," he said. "If I did it inside the system that would be $20+ million."
Roberts decided not to use Kickstarter to raise the money because "it's an extra step between the developer and the community". Instead, the game's online face will be robertsspaceindustries.com, where Star Citizen will eventually launch. It contains a custom crowd funding plug-in that goes live today.

crowd funding but not kicktarter. that budget

about the game;
Roberts, who has been out of the public eye for the best part of a decade, founded developer Cloud Imperium Games Corporation in April 2011. He has alongside a small team worked on the creation of art assets, story elements and an extensive prototype of Star Citizen, a persistent online universe due out at some point in 2014.

Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.

The story revolves around a political drama inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. But players will be most concerned with Squadron 42, a sort of sci-fi French Foreign Legion. 42 has a reputation for always pulling through even during the most difficult of missions, and your goal is to get accepted into its ranks.

This being an online game of sorts, Roberts will add micro-updates over time. An example could be a new star system or a set of new missions. Players will be able to name a star system if they are the first to chart it, then sell those charts to space corporations for virtual currency.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Confirmed solo, co-op (offline!) and online, yay. Let's hope that doesn't over time change into online only a la Diablo III or worse.

ekim

Star Citizen was the name of the trailer.

He has alongside a small team worked on the creation of art assets, story elements and an extensive prototype of Star Citizen, a persistent online universe due out at some point in 2014.

Star Citizen features a dynamic economy and an open world. Roberts describes it as a mash up of Freelancer and Privateer, two of his previous games, and a Wing Commander game. The single-player mode can be played offline or co-op with friends in a similar fashion to the way players impact each other's games in Demon's Souls, he said.

now I'm confused.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
More like a persistent universe Wing Commander than Freelancer I'd say (hope).

Just name dropping all the previously popular stuff like Freelancer and Privateer.

15 million is an insane budget for a game like this, no wonder they can go all out.

Pooya

now I'm confused.

Star Citizen is name of the game. Squadron 42 is what you play as.

The story revolves around a political drama inspired by the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. But players will be most concerned with Squadron 42, a sort of sci-fi French Foreign Legion. 42 has a reputation for always pulling through even during the most difficult of missions, and your goal is to get accepted into its ranks.

sTeLioSco

Banned
64974526.jpg

SparkTR

The campaign mode is called Squadron 42, the persistent universe is called Star Citizen. All part of one game it seems.

Perkel

Banned
I love what he is saying. It's like starting wing commander and anfter campain it will be freelancer, persistent world, additional mission packs as in WC

sTeLioSco

Banned
whatever it is,im in.... :)

except if its an mmo with monthly payments.
anything other than that,its already on the 2buy list.

This is

really, really unfocused and sounds either schizophrenic or bloated

He's kind of promising the moon and stars here, and there's a reason nobody's made a game like this yet

If this actually exists, it could be really cool, but there's all sorts of issues to what he's proposing here. I'll get excited when I see it in action.

Pooya

Those who support the game early will get to play builds ahead of the release of the final version. Roberts hopes a year from now an alpha multiplayer version of the game will be available. This won't take place in the persistent universe, but will act like a World of Tanks battle session. 10 months after this release the alpha persistent world will launch, with the full game due out just over two years from now, at some point late 2014

this is their development schedule/goals.

concept artworks
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-10-star-citizen-concept-art_6

Eideka

Banned
Jesus almighty that's beyond mere words.

And as lons as the single player is really compelling I'm here. Co-op is a nice addition as well.

I'm a little on the fence regarding this "persistent" world, is it part of the game ? Like a multiplayer mode ?

And.....DEM GRAPHICS. O_O

Caesnd

I love how well thought out the ships are. The industry has been sorely lacking concept artists with that kind of technical mind set and know-how.

Top Bottom