• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR CITIZEN, Chris Roberts' (Wing Commander) New Game [$25 million funded]

Well they said at one point that 1,000 credits == roughly 1$
So those 150'000 credits are 150$/month worth.

It will give an advantage to whomever maxxes it out every month (in the form of a fully decked out craft, and hiering ACE npcs to man the turrets if any).

Especially when people start buying up the limit of credits on multiple accounts and transferring it to their main account. I really hope CIG thinks long and hard about this design choice because it the easiest way for the game to become pay to win.

KKRT00

Especially when people start buying up the limit of credits on multiple accounts and transferring it to their main account. I really hope CIG thinks long and hard about this design choice because it the easiest way for the game to become pay to win.

As long as its skill based like EVE and You can buy advantage [like +40% armor or something like that] there wont be pay to win.

There are always more rich people in such games, but it doesnt mean they are better. Seriously, EVE is the best example of this.

Zabojnik

Didn't they say they won't allow that?

330k$ in less than a week.

Q1FmUF1.jpg

As long as its skill based like EVE and You can buy advantage [like +40% armor or something like that] there wont be pay to win.

There are always more rich people in such games, but it doesnt mean they are better. Seriously, EVE is the best example of this.

Eve is probably the only example of this. All I'm saying is that they should spend a lot of time studying how Eve does it and make sure they do the same.

Didn't they say they won't allow that?

They have no way to stop it short of making purchased credits account bound.

Francois424

Neo Member
Eve is probably the only example of this. All I'm saying is that they should spend a lot of time studying how Eve does it and make sure they do the same.

They have no way to stop it short of making purchased credits account bound.

That's an amazing idea... They just need 2 currencies (and merchant take both of them for purchase, at equal value) anything bought with credits purchased for real money (even if only by a small %) must become account bound as well tho, otherwise it still leads to abuse. A bit heavy on the coding side, but I beleive that would be well worth it.

MrBig

That's an amazing idea... They just need 2 currencies (and merchant take both of them for purchase, at equal value) anything bought with credits purchased for real money (even if only by a small %) must become account bound as well tho, otherwise it still leads to abuse. A bit heavy on the coding side, but I beleive that would be well worth it.

Two currencies is what they want to get away from, to not give the impression that spending money or time are wholly different things. Perhaps it should be handled like debit vs credit accounts, with "debit" accounts housing money paid ingame and pre-paying a "credit" account with money with the monthly spending limits and such.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Since when is a 2,000GFlops GPU 'surprisingly low' as a minimum spec?

Since that GPU happened to be a four-year-old GPU already. The 5850 was released September 2009 — it's not exactly new tech. It's reasonable to assume that most PC gamers will have upgraded to at least a mid-range 5000-level (or its nVidia equivalent) GPU by the end of this year.

Like others have said, this game is supposed to be released in a year and a half. And like I already said, the game is intended to push rigs' power. By early 2015, requiring a video card that's five-and-a-half years old to run Star Citizen will be downright generous.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Argh. At least I won't feel like I'm missing out by being at work all evening while everyone else is F5ing the download page. I'll (hopefully) start the download when I get home from work tomorrow night.

Thanks for taking that screencap (or at least linking to it, if it's not yours).

Not mine, got it off reddit. Figured it needed to be cross-posted here to avoid the inevitable "ZOMFG IT'S 12:01 WHY IS IT NOT OUT YET" posts. :p

Daedardus

Since that GPU happened to be a four-year-old GPU already. The 5850 was released September 2009 — it's not exactly new tech. It's reasonable to assume that most PC gamers will have upgraded to at least a mid-range 5000-level (or its nVidia equivalent) GPU by the end of this year.

Like others have said, this game is supposed to be released in a year and a half. And like I already said, the game is intended to push rigs' power. By early 2015, requiring a video card that's five-and-a-half years old to run Star Citizen will be downright generous.

Well, you are right that most real PC gamers will have upgraded to something better. However, the 5850 has such a high baseline, that even the midrange 7000 series don't trump it. Look at the 7850 for example, it's slightly below the 5850 (althouh it also mostly has to do with AMD's new numbering convention).

Ah well, don't care a lot though. Found this in the new Press Release:
Because the Hangar Module is a pre-alpha build, it will have some issues! Chief among them is the fact that optimization generally takes place at the end of the game development process. On this initial launch we are missing a lot of the level of detail optimizations from the ships that will greatly help with the performance issues. While the Hangar requires a powerful computer to run smoothly right now, the system requirements and the framerate will get better as development continues.

Grief.exe

God, people know how to bitch in the official forums. Is the whole internet like that? I should be staying close to NeoGAF, then.

The internet is a horrible place for games. You gotta remember sometimes, you share this same hobby with some of the most ignorant and uneducated people on this planet.

wPUTroq.png

ibu2nDSCfYfBtm.png

Daedardus

The internet is a horrible place for games. You gotta remember sometimes, you share this same hobby with some of the most ignorant and uneducated people on this planet.

But I always wonder, how do these people find out about Star Citizen and decide to pledge, while bitching afterwards because they spent $30 and feel like they are ripped off.

I sometimes see ignorant posts on GAF, but then I realise how bad it must be on other forums.

Zabojnik

Dunno, Star Citizen's community is pretty awesome. Lots of older gamers and it shows. As for the bitching ... You know how it is. It only takes one asshole.

Grief.exe

But I always wonder, how do these people find out about Star Citizen and decide to pledge, while bitching afterwards because they spent $30 and feel like they are ripped off.

I sometimes see ignorant posts on GAF, but then I realise how bad it must be on other forums.

Star Citizen has been on every mainstream gaming website, it wouldn't be too hard for them to find it and get swept up in the hype.

Boogdud

Look, HE DOESN'T GONNA PAY FOR UN-FINNISH GAMES.

So until Roberts makes this about cross-country rally cars starring Teemu Selanne, HE IS OUT!

Daedardus

Yeah, look, I paid $65 for this game and I STILL haven't got my hangar.

Seriously Chris Roberts, if you delay it for another two hours I want my money back. My life seemingly depends on it. You're one of the worst developers I've ever seen. How dare you to fix game breaking bugs while I desperately need my hangar.

Smiley90

IT'S TEEMU SELANNE GODDAMNIT

I was on the rational train until this post. Now I must have Selane Cross-Country Rally Cars. CHRIS ROBERTS HOW COULD YOU BE MISSING THIS OPPORTUNITY!

Teemu Selanne Hangar buggy racer skin DLC 4.99

Teemu Selanne Hangar buggy racer skin DLC 4.99

As excited as I am for the actual persistent universe of SC, modded private servers have the potential to be hilariously great/horrible.

I dream of a day my Hornet gets modded into a TIE Defender and I get to shoot at Vanduul ships with Penguins logos spray painted over them all day.

Smiley90

As excited as I am for the actual persistent universe of SC, modded private servers have the potential to be hilariously great/horrible.

I dream of a day my Hornet gets modded into a TIE Defender and I get to shoot at Vanduul ships with Penguins logos spray painted over them all day.

And so the great NHL-war of West Coast vs East Coast begun.

I know you're a Philly-fan, but w/e

Boogdud

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome time. I could have been the west, but we just got switched back (Wings fan). Tie Defender... mmm.

Also, I corrected my butchering of Teemu's name. Not sure how that happened... I spell like Esa Tikkanen speaks English.

Smiley90

Seriously, this sounds like an awesome time. I could have been the west, but we just got switched back (Wings fan). Tie Defender... mmm.

Also, I corrected my butchering of Teemu's name. Not sure how that happened... I spell like Esa Tikkanen speaks English.

How come we've never seen your face over at NHL-GAF? Are you scared you'll get shot? It's a reasonable fear as a Wings fan I'd say. Depending on whether or not you actually live in Detroit.

SMALL-TALK TO KILL TIME UNTIL RELEASE

Mindlog

How come we've never seen your face over at NHL-GAF? Are you scared you'll get shot? It's a reasonable fear as a Wings fan I'd say. Depending on whether or not you actually live in Detroit.

Because there are too many sports threads to keep track of.
Go Bolts!

Over the year I will go to more Lightning games, then Rays games then Bucs games. Yet I'm most active in the NFL thread. Figures.

Smiley90

Because there are too many sports threads to keep track of.
Go Bolts!

Over the year I will go to more Lightning games, then Rays games then Bucs games. Yet I'm most active in the NFL thread. Figures.

Classic Lightning fan I'd say. :p Always claiming they exist, while they never show up anywhere. :p You should totally post in the NHL-thread though. We have like... 2 resident Lightning fans. And they don't post often, either.

Boogdud

SPACESHIPS!

I rarely step outside of any non-gaming discussion here and usually hang at HFBoards or modsquad for any hockey stuff. Not scared of getting shot, but not from Detroit so... ;)

SPACESHIPS I SAY!

Top Bottom