• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmartBase

Is there any information out there about when I can rent the better ships (M50, Superhornet, etc)? My pile of REC is looking useless otherwise, unless I'm missing something.

Kabouter

Is there any information out there about when I can rent the better ships (M50, Superhornet, etc)? My pile of REC is looking useless otherwise, unless I'm missing something.

I think they've said 'limited' ships like the M50 and Superhornet will only be available some of the time for rental, but that they will be available for rental more frequently than they will be available to pledge for.

SmartBase

I think they've said 'limited' ships like the M50 and Superhornet will only be available some of the time for rental, but that they will be available for rental more frequently than they will be available to pledge for.

Guess I'll just scale back my game time then. It makes sense for them to lock the ships while they're taking pledges, I just hope once the PU is out that it they'll all be available.

Wow, this is amazing. Video of what it looks like inside a Cutlass during a Firefight and it's subsequent death.

Never been more excited to frantically run around a multi-crew ship while it's falling apart around me.

That is fucking incredible
I've never seen anything like this in any game ever

This, this is exactly what cinuhmatic shooters like cod try to emulate with their cutscenes, only here it's all interactive and player driven.

can someone gif the part where the entire back breaks off? pretty please

That is fucking incredible
I've never seen anything like this in any game ever

This, this is exactly what cinuhmatic shooters like cod try to emulate with their cutscenes, only here it's all interactive and player driven.

Imagine the same situation also with the gladius-styled damage modelling and claxon / red light flaring stuff they have in the retaliator. Booooo yaaaaah.

I've been watching low flyby videos, OH MY FUCKING GOD THE SOUND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YTH8iqknDQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TzxHFFJ8qM

What the fuck it's so good and the spatial audio is so well done.

I haven't really followed the game much in the last months except a few looks at this thread (which have been mostly just ship walkthroughs and other kinda boring stuff)

I need more of these videos, anyone got any cool videos like these to share?

Edit: Also, I am feeling foolish but I can't find confirmation that using a CCU on my game package means I keep all the items and lti of that package. Can anyone confirm? Looking to go from a 325a in an Arbiter package to a Cutlass.
I haven't been following SC that closely, only really booted up Arena Commander this week playing single player swarm and races to try to get a feel for it. Anyway, I have the same package, Arbiter 325a. Why might I ask do you want to upgrade? Let me see if I understand LTI correctly, I guess it means you can smash up your ships as many times as you want and never have to pay to get it replaced when the persistent universe is up. So I it makes sense to upgrade to the 'best' ship that I can with LTI? Is the 325a not a good enough ship for LTI? It seems like the most expensive upgrade path available for me is the Hornet, which implies that it's the 'best', why would you get the 10 dollar cheaper Cutlass?

Zalusithix

I haven't been following SC that closely, only really booted up Arena Commander this week playing single player swarm and races to try to get a feel for it. Anyway, I have the same package, Arbiter 325a. Why might I ask do you want to upgrade? Let me see if I understand LTI correctly, I guess it means you can smash up your ships as many times as you want and never have to pay to get it replaced when the persistent universe is up. So I it makes sense to upgrade to the 'best' ship that I can with LTI? Is the 325a not a good enough ship for LTI? It seems like the most expensive upgrade path available for me is the Hornet, which implies that it's the 'best', why would you get the 10 dollar cheaper Cutlass?

LTI just means that your base insurance is paid forever. This insurance doesn't cover any upgrades. Insurance is also going to be handled in a way such that frequently relying on it will increase the delay in getting the ship replaced. Abuse the insurance, and you'll be waiting long periods of time without your ship. Insurance has also been stated numerous times to not be a significant expenditure, so the difference between having LTI and not having it is negligible.

Finally, there is no "best". Just get that notion out of your head right now. Different ships have different things they focus on. The 325A isn't even remotely comparable to the Cutlass. One is a small nimble single seater. The other is a larger, heaver, multi-crew ship. There's tons of reasons you'd choose one over the other that have nothing to do with LTI. Likewise, the standard Hornet is another single seater craft, albeit with a total military focus. The Super Hornet (not for sale currently) is a multi-crew ship, but still not similar in function to the Cutlass.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

There's no way to pledge for a ship with LTI right now, except when they do limited concept sales (because those are ships they've never offered before, so the first chance comes with LTI). Other than those, all ships right now come with a few months of free insurance before you have to start paying (once the persistent universe starts, and you'll pay with in-game credits, not real money).

LTI came with each ship that early backers pledged for in the first year. So what Dead Man is asking about is whether he can transfer his LTI from his older ship to a newer one. (As for the answer to his question ... I think it'll work? I've never tried it myself. I'd file a support ticket to ask and make sure, even though those poor people are swamped.)

Zalusithix

LTI came with each ship that early backers pledged for in the first year. So what Dead Man is asking about is whether he can transfer his LTI from his older ship to a newer one. (As for the answer to his question ... I think it'll work? I've never tried it myself. I'd file a support ticket to ask and make sure, even though those poor people are swamped.)

The question was already answered. The LTI and all other things in the package stay. The only thing that changes is the ship itself.

I already have LTI with my package, I'm just trying to figure out what's the best way to make use of it, since it's a unique thing and I have a few 'upgrade' options available.

foundry-3jijsl.jpg

Monthly Report just went live!

Zalusithix

What this means is that rather than each projectile (energy or ballistic) having a prescribed damage value against shields, hull plating, or components we are actually going to base the damage off the mass, velocity, and density of the projectile. Likewise on the ships we will be expanding the materials and the properties of their hull plating and shields to react in a proper way to the physical characteristics of the rounds impacting them.
Density? So not only are we going to get a force measurement via F=MA, but also do a pressure calculation based on the size of the round? Might as well go all the way and calculate the angle of impact while we're at it and figure out deflection. =P

At the same time our internal modeling team has been working diligently on building out ships like the Herald, P-52 Merlin, Xi’an Scout, and even starting in on the Vanguard. We’ve also been making great progress on the reworks to the Constellation and Freelancer as they get updated to using our latest modeling techniques and the modularity system. These ships will be ready to show off their new looks with the release of multi-crew ship functionality in Arena Commander.
Fuck yes. Can't wait for the Khartu-Al. Also interested in seeing how the Constellation rework pans out. Particularly in respect to the Phoenix.

We have now surpassed 5 PB /mo in internal data for build delivery.
5PB/mo internally. For reference's sake, that's 208,879 copies of the current SC install.

We’ve been busy refining the redesign of the holotable as well as the menu flow, working to establish an efficient and user friendly layout. We’ve also continued to improve the mobiGlas shopping app, which now has a different look for each shop you go in for a customized shopping experience.
This seriously can't come soon enough. That holotable is possibly the worst part of SC.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I wonder if we'll see a jacuzzi floating in space occasionally after destroying a Phoenix.

Density? So not only are we going to get a force measurement via F=MA, but also do a pressure calculation based on the size of the round? Might as well go all the way and calculate the angle of impact while we're at it and figure out deflection. =P

I know you're joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did that. Could be especially awesome for shields.

Oni Jazar

I need technical help. I have a brand new machine. High end gaming laptop. i7-4710MQ, 16GB RAM, 980M w/ 8GB VRAM and the performance in the hanger is atrocious! I've got low settings at 800 resolution and the fps is at 20!

Other games work fine.

edit found the problem:

Update is that nVidia's Optimus graphics switching technology sucks the big one, and unless an application has an profile included, your laptop will be assigning it the integrated graphics chip on your Intel CPU rather than the dedicated GPU. nVidia does not, of course, bother to inform you that this has happened. Said integrated graphics collapses completely when confronted with something more taxing than Minesweeper, leading everyone to wonder what the hell is going on when their laptop displays the gaming prowess of a fart in a wet paper bag.

Go to the nVidia control panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings, and click 'Add'. Find StarCitizen.exe, which will be located in StarCitizen\CitizenClient\Bin64 - note that it's StarCitizen.exe, NOT the launcher (StarCitizenLauncher.exe), which is located two folders up and will not help you. Then set StarCitizen.exe to use the dedicated nVidia GPU.

Zabojnik

ZvF2RwG.gif

Let's face it guys. Sure, SQ42 is going to be amazeballs, but we all know what must follow. A terrestrial single player / co-op campaign in which you get to use all these amazing flying machines in the atmosphere of a chosen planet. Clouds and orbital space above you, futuristic landscapes, cities and tagets to bomb the shit out of on the ground below.

Either that or Strike Commander 2.

Daedardus

Let's face it guys. Sure, SQ42 is going to be amazeballs, but we all know what must follow. A terrestrial single player / co-op campaign in which you get to use all these amazing flying machines in the atmosphere of a chosen planet. Clouds and orbital space above you, futuristic landscapes, cities and tagets to bomb the shit out of on the ground below.

Let them release the base game first. Other than that, I'm all for it.

ZvF2RwG.gif

I like the way you think.

I recently melted my Mustang package for the Gladius package, and now I seem to have a 300i as well. It doesn't show up in my hangar on the RSI website, but I can fly it.

Did I miss something? Is the 300i free to fly right now?

Spazznid

I recently melted my Mustang package for the Gladius package, and now I seem to have a 300i as well. It doesn't show up in my hangar on the RSI website, but I can fly it.

Did I miss something? Is the 300i free to fly right now?

I upgraded my 300i to a Gladius, and it's also allowing me to play with the 300i, I dunno, might be free for everyone to try? Like the Gladius was? Anyways, I upgraded the Gladius to the Cutlass Black, Seems more my style.

Zalusithix

How long will it take until someone builds a fully working cockpit for a Star Citizen ship?

Would be difficult to pull off given all the holographic projections etc that the ships have. That and it wouldn't be worth it, because unlike flight sims where you'd be flying the same ship for hundreds to thousands of hours, you'll be switching things up fairly regularly in SC. Time and effort is better spent creating the best generic setup that'll work across all ships.

Somewhat related to that though, I've bit the bullet and ordered the controller board for a custom throttle setup. Ever since the Novint Falcon discussion popped up, I've been sketching up concepts on how to create a 3 (possibly 4) axis throttle. Now it's time to start getting the parts in to play around with before I take commit to any one direction.

Geist-

Design: FPS Stances & Breathing

STANCES
What are stances, and why do they matter? Aim stances affect how fast a fighter can bring the weapon up to look down the sight, as well as accuracy while shooting without aiming. Most traditional FPS games have two aim stances: firing while you’re moving (hips) or carefully closing in on your weapon (sights). The standard tradeoff is field of view versus weapon accuracy: firing while moving is less accurate, but you have a wider view of the battlefield. Firing while focusing on your weapon’s sights lets you target very specifically, but you lose your peripheral vision.

Star Marine — and Star Citizen proper — will feature three stances. Having three possible stances instead of two means that the game will have a more realistic system of weapon handling, which will immediately impact gameplay. Star Citizen’s three stances are Lowered, Ready and Aim Down Sights (ADS). The Lowered stance trades the ability to fire for maneuverability. The Ready stance slows a soldier’s movement while making reactionary fire and aiming a lot faster and more accurate. The ADS stance is the most accurate, but has the slowest movement and most restricted visibility of the three stances.

AimMode_lowered.jpg
Lowered_Stance_HUD.jpg

LOWERED STANCE
The Lowered weapon stance allows you to move fast (sprint, jump, etc.) and use all the contextual navigation available. The tradeoff is that firing requires you to switch to at least the Ready stance, which takes time. Bringing the weapon up for aiming takes longer since your weapon isn’t near the aim pose. (Attempting to fire from this stance would be ‘shooting from the hip,’ which would result in a large amount of spread, sway and recoil, since the weapon doesn’t have a stable platform absorbing the energy of firing. You would have little ability to adjust where the rounds are impacting in this stance.)

AimMode_ready.jpg

READY STANCE
The Ready stance brings the weapon up to the shoulder but without the camera looking down the sight. This will feel similar to traditional FPS weapons when you are not looking down the sights (most like the ‘hips’ stance in the two-stance system). To use the Lowered stance, character movement must first slow to a walk. Contextual navigation will also be limited. In this stance, the character can much more quickly raise his weapon for the ADS stance (as the weapon is close to that position already). Spread, sway and recoil are more limited in this stance, and the position of the weapon absorbs the energy of firing in the shoulder and be fairly accurate — but not as accurate as using sights!

AimMode_ADS.jpg
ADS_Stance_HUD.jpg

ADS STANCE
The Aim Down Sights stance reduces you to a slow walk. The camera will be looking directly down the sights of the weapon, making it the most accurate it can be. The spread, sway and recoil will be quite low (depending on the weapon and firing mode). Unlike the other stances, which are activated contextually based on player movement, the ADS stance must be explicitly activated. The process of ‘getting to’ ADS differs depending on which of the other two stances the character is in: the transition from Lowered stance is quicker, while it will take takes longer for someone in moving from Lowered stance.

You will be unable to use any contextual actions while aiming, making maneuverability severely diminished. Attempting to sprint does not take you out of this state like it would from Ready. From a gameplay perspective, players will be forced to think about their natural movements during a combat scenario. Sprinting from place to place now carries the additional balance layer, making it take additional time to aim your weapon accurately once you have stopped sprinting. The intention is that players will make smart, tactical decisions based on their overall abilities rather than attempting to blindly run around and gun down everything that moves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom