• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2: SNES Classic Direct Feed Footage

I wonder if they changed anything in the SNES Classic's guts to make hacking harder?
It’s not the guts they have to change, it’s the stupid USB port hooked up to the data lines of the chip. The NES Classic being all hacked was only a big deal because of how utterly easy it was to do for the average person. If you had to open the case to do it, then Nintendo probably wouldn’t care about being hacked.

Most of this game has been known due to the rom leak. I still think it's pretty silly, despite being an official release of an old ass game.
It’s not an old-ass game. Nobody outside of Nintendo and Rare has ever played this version. Even the leaked ROM (both versions) was an early development version missing some very major features. This is a brand new game to just about everybody. That’s why spoilers are important - the whole definition of a spoiler is to reveal information people don’t know that they may like to experience in its normal format, and at this point, nobody knows the information.

fahr

Weeeeeeeeell, I believe this can't be done without some messing with cartridge that has a compatible FX chip (like making your custom FX Lock-On cart). The chip's CPU can read data from ROM, which suggests it would see the chip cartridge's ROM and not whatever you would plug on the other side of the adapter.

You can buy bootleg starfox 2 snes carts right now. I think the modders are using stunt race fx or Yoshi's island carts to make them. I'm not sure which games used super fx 2 chips.

Both interesting and somewhat strange to finally see Star Fox 2 here.
As a retro gamer. Would like to try it out

I need to know why those two characters were never introduced in the other Star Fox games.

They basically got retooled into Bill and Katt.

I guess Miyu and Faye could always be reintroduced in a future Star Fox game while keeping Bill and Katt too
If there will be a new Star Fox game of course

JP

I was never really a fan of Star Fox but it'll still be nice to give this a go anyway.

Not heard of Nintendo Life before, watched a couple of his videos after this. I've no idea why but that bloke really gives me the creeps for some reason, is he well known?

SystemUser

The NES Classic was running a version of Linux and was cracked pretty quickly. I'm guessing the SNES Classic has similar architecture and will be cracked almost immediately, which means the ROM will be online.

Would the ROM be enough? I assume that Star Fox 2 used some version of the SuperFX chip. Would that mean that making a usable cartridge would be harder?

Saikyo

Would the ROM be enough? I assume that Star Fox 2 used some version of the SuperFX chip. Would that mean that making a usable cartridge would be harder?

...it just use Super FX2 chip just like the leaked version I guess, so sacrifice a yoshi island cart
for a better game
or other FX2 compatible game and done.

It makes repros more expensive due to having to source and kill off a Yoshi's Island, Doom or Winter Gold cartridge for it's Super FX2 chip.

Weeeeeeeeell, I believe this can't be done without some messing with cartridge that has a compatible FX chip (like making your custom FX Lock-On cart). The chip's CPU can read data from ROM, which suggests it would see the chip cartridge's ROM and not whatever you would plug on the other side of the adapter.
I know for the common DSP1 chip the back up devices available in the 90s could read carts with chips (in fact the Game Doctor actually had a separate DSP1 cartridge available)

But researching this I found a newdev post which explains why Super FX (and SA-1) won't work like this:
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=11351&p=130021#p130120
As of 2014 nobody had come up a solution

Top Bottom