• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero Delayed to Q1 2016

Discomurf

Good . the game looked like a PS1 launch title

not really but maybe Dreamcast ;)

edit: as for the new Holiday title... perhaps that HD remake we heard about ages ago will be announced? Its hard to imagine they go with just the current line up. If so, there is no doubt in my mind NX is coming next year.

DrWong

Good . the game looked like a PS1 launch title

destruction-derby.jpg

bumpkin

I knew there was no way Nintendo was going to blow their load with that many of their bread-and-butter IPs having games hit shelves in the same 3 month span. It was too good to be true.

Hopefully the extra time will be used to polish the game up some visually.

oti

Banned
How are they going to support this console for another year? Unless they unleash a Nintendo Direct with 10 new game announcements I can't see it.

disco

The Wii U is already dead and was going to get destroyed whether it had StarFox or not.

It's better than Nintendo focus on making a quality title in an almost-dead franchise than rushing something out just so Wii U can have a holiday title. Anybody who wanted a new StarFox already owns a Wii U, this delay won't change anything.

Exactly, there have been too many mediocre Starfox games for them to get another one wrong. I'm glad they're putting the effort in to make sure this one isn't completely forgettable in the shadow of Starfox 64.

Richie

Oh, you got me! How could I have forgotten! One new DLC stage for a fighting game that already has 50 stages! Nintendo is saved! It's the gaming event of the decade! This miracle will soften the stony hearts of the masses, and they shall return to right worship of Nintendo, their one true lord!

Come on now. When the best you've got to defend Nintendo's holiday lineup is "Um, Nintendo's putting out a new stage for Smash," don't you think you're proving my point rather than refuting it?

My good man, it's obvious he was suggesting the actual Mario Maker game may have juicy DLC lined up for the holidays. Nowhere was Smash mentioned.

My good man, it's obvious he was suggesting the actual Mario Maker game may have juicy DLC lined up for the holidays. Nowhere was Smash mentioned.

I googled "Mario Maker DLC" to figure out what the hell he was talking about, and it quickly became evident that the only thing actually announced that anyone was referring to as "the Mario Maker DLC" was a Smash stage.

I'm not sure you're doing his argument any favors. At least I assumed he was talking about something that's actually announced. If he was actually defending Nintendo's holiday lineup on the basis of something that Nintendo hasn't even claimed to be working on, then again, he's making my point for me!

And how the hell did my post end up attributed to someone else?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
How are they going to support this console for another year? Unless they unleash a Nintendo Direct with 10 new game announcements I can't see it.

Well, assuming Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game, and assuming they don't launch any new Wii U games after September because the NX will launch in November, here's how 2016 is shaping up (some of these are my own guesses):

January to March
StarFox Zero
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

April to June
Pokkén Tournament
Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games

July to September
Pikmin 4
The Legend of Zelda Wii U

That's basically the same rate of retail releases they've maintained throughout the Wii U's lifespan:

2012 [4 games]
> November
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge

2013 [9 games]
> March
Lego City Undercover
> June
Game & Wario
> August
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
> September
The Wonderful 101
> October
Wii Party U
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
> November
Super Mario 3D World
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games

2014 [8 games]
> January
Wii Fit U
> February
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
> May
Mario Kart 8
> July
Wii Sports Club
> September
Hyrule Warriors
> October
Bayonetta 2
> November
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
> December
Captain Toad: Treasurer Tracker

2015 [9 games]
> February
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
> March
Mario Party 10
> May
Splatoon
> September
Mario Maker
> October
Yoshi's Wooly World
New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U
> November
Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash
> December
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Devil's Third
Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival

oti

Banned
Well, assuming Pikmin 4 is a Wii U game, and assuming they don't launch any new Wii U games after September because the NX will launch in November, here's how 2016 is shaping up (some of these are my own guesses):

January to March
StarFox Zero
Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

April to June
Pokkén Tournament
Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games

July to September
Pikmin 4
The Legend of Zelda Wii U

That's all sorts of depressing. Thanks for the comprehensive list. :)

ghibli99

New Super Mario Bros. U
Lego City Undercover
Pikmin 3
New Super Luigi U
The Wonderful 101
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Captain Toad: Treasurer Tracker
Splatoon
Mario Maker
As an aside, these have been my pick-ups on the Wii U. Underscores just how damn good the Wii U is when it comes to consistently good exclusive content.

Richie

I googled "Mario Maker DLC" to figure out what the hell he was talking about, and it quickly became evident that the only thing actually announced that anyone was referring to as "the Mario Maker DLC" was a Smash stage.

I'm not sure you're doing his argument any favors. At least I assumed he was talking about something that's actually announced. If he was actually defending Nintendo's holiday lineup on the basis of something that Nintendo hasn't even claimed to be working on, then again, he's making my point for me!

And how the hell did my post end up attributed to someone else?

Because I was a dummy whose clumsiness while quoting on mobile made me accidentally quote another user with your words. Sorry to both!

Sure, going by facts I concede the lineup is sparse, to say the least. But we are still a couple months away, and it's not unlikely to think something could be announced just in time there. Last year we still ignored Smash U's release date among other things.

But that's not really my point, just thought you were insulting that user's intelligence if you actually thought they genuinely suggested a single Smash stage would save the holidays.

AdanVC

I think the fact that they are aiming to deliver 60fps both on the tv and gamepad seems a little bit unnecesary and it can be the reason of why it looks like a PS3 launch game...

Mory Dunz

Nintendo's holiday really is hilariously bad now. Xenoblade is the only thing there that isn't vaguely embarrassing. Mario Tennis? Animal Crossing: Excuse to Sell Amiibo? Devil's Third!? Heavy hitters all around. Fallout 4 is positively quaking in its boots.

I mean, even if it had Zelda U and Star Fox, games like Fallout 4, CoD, BattleFront, Halo still wouldn't be "quaking in its boots" regardless. Not sure why the big hitters this Fall are brought up. In its situation, even if the Wii U had 10 games this fall it wouldn't impact those games/bundles.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo's holiday was going to be carried by Mario Maker and the legacy game bundles (Kart, Smash, etc). Star Fox was never going to be The Game for them. I'm glad they're delaying it to make it better.

KingBroly

Banned
Salty that the revival of one of my favourite Nintendo franchises looks like a slow and ugly rehash of SF64? Absolutely.

Hey man, Platinum's been chomping at the bit to do a Star Fox game. Now, I agree that the game doesn't look great, but it'd probably look worse a lot worse if Treasure was working on it at this point in time given the short development cycle given to Platinum.

Scoops

Banned
I'm fine with this if the extra 3 months of work or whatever if it is enough to make me want to play the game.

Because right now I don't.

Does leave the Holiday kind of bare as far as big mainstream titles goes though. I'll pick up Xenoblade and still need to get Mario Maker. Might be interested in Yoshi and Fatal Frame too.

That 2016 though with Star Fox, Pokken, #FE and Zelda is going to be an epic send off for the WiiU.

Rich!

Fantastic news.

It needed shitloads of work and polish. Take your time, Nintendo.

Last we need is a dud game putting an end to the series (helloooo Metroid Other M)

Obviously Star Fox wasn't going to do AAA sales numbers but I agree with others who say this possibly doesn't bode well for NX. If they can't get a fairly simple B-tier title like this out the door on time during a critical shopping season and late (apparently) in the Wii U's life with assistance from someone like Platinum, then why should we expect them to have a competent launch for NX? Unless Zelda is planned as a TP style cross gen launch title and EAD Tokyo's next Mario game is ready by then?

Also, Miyamoto admits that the dual screen aspect of the game's control system is a key problem contributing to the delay, he obviously took the negative feedback on it to heart somewhat but this just underscores why trying to force dual screen on the player was not a good idea to begin with. It's reminiscent of his insistence on forcing motion controls in DKCR, not needed, nobody wanted them but because Miyamoto always has to have *that one extra control hook no matter what* they just had to be forced on the player. This is one part of his design philosophy in recent years which I find odd and contradictory to his usual operating philosophy of making control and access for the player as intuitive and unintrusive on the gameplay experience as possible.

Obviously Star Fox wasn't going to do AAA sales numbers but I agree with others who say this possibly doesn't bode well for NX. If they can't get a fairly simple B-tier title like this out the door on time during a critical shopping season and late (apparently) in the Wii U's life with assistance from someone like Platinum, then why should we expect them to have a competent launch for NX? Unless Zelda is planned as a TP style cross gen launch title and EAD Tokyo's next Mario game is ready by then?

This is totally going to happen. And we're also going to get the NX version first. The Wii U version will be artificially delayed by several months just like Twilight Princess on Gamecube so that people feel compelled to upgrade to NX to get their Zelda fix.

I didn't buy a Wii until Mario Galaxy was released because of that burn.

I think the fact that they are aiming to deliver 60fps both on the tv and gamepad seems a little bit unnecesary and it can be the reason of why it looks like a PS3 launch game...
Yep. Should've just gone balls out on the TV with slick action and shooting scenes.

I could see Nintendo pushing Xenoblade X forward to November to fill the void left by Star Fox Zero.

There's a lot of compelling games releasing in November on other platforms though. Xenoblade could easily get lost in the shuffle, unless the typical Xenoblade fan only owns a Wii U and nothing else.

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is totally going to happen. And we're also going to get the NX version first. The Wii U version will be artificially delayed by several months just like Twilight Princess on Gamecube so that people feel compelled to upgrade to NX to get their Zelda fix.

I didn't buy a Wii until Mario Galaxy was released because of that burn.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen.

It's also worth noting that it will have been 3 years since 3D World if the NX launches in 2016. That's plenty of time for a new 3D Mario game.

And 3 years since Retro's last game was finished.

Basically, a November to April period consisting of Zelda, 3D Mario, a Retro title, and potential complete editions of Smash 4 and Mario Kart will indeed be a solid launch. Not counting smaller projects that could be done by then, as well, like Pikmin.

The fact that Nintendo's attempts to justify the Wii U's Gamepad/split screen concept with games like Star Fox Zero is meeting resistance from their limited hardware spec philosophy is a beautiful irony.

Mory Dunz

Do we know that NX is one piece of hardware?

If not, I still think the handheld version is 2016. And the console like version is 2017. With whatever interplay hybrid stuff.

I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be angry at all if Zelda and Starfox are completely cancelled for the WiiU, as in not released at all, so as to make the NX that much more appealing. I want Nintendo to succeed so badly lol

That's not nice to people who have bought a Wii U. Nintendo will lose some good faith doing so.

Though I must say, I just go to where the games are.

Do we know that NX is one piece of hardware?

If not, I still think the handheld version is 2016. And the console like version is 2017. With whatever interplay hybrid stuff.

Unless they have a lot of surprise Wii U game announcements for 2016 other than Zelda I don't see how they can keep it going until 2017. It's not desirable but this really is a case where it looks like they may have little choice but to break the normally sacred 5 year minimum cycle.

Cwarrior

Thank god this game was delayed it clearly need more time in the oven.

Looked worse then star fox assualt on gamecube and the star fox 64 remake on 3DS and saying something when it's on much powerful hardware.

Top Bottom