• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

Beartruck

Yiffing yes. Starfox 64 is my favorite game of all time, and this looks like the most promising game in the series since then. Can't wait.

Surfheart

Your thumb is right there. I fought a target mode boss with repeated strafing and dodging and only recalibrated a couple of times. Just click it when you have a second and are flying straight.

The main point is, remember that Left Stick Click does that. (Right Stick Click launches a bomb.)

Thanks, it's just that it implies that sometimes the control gets out of whack and needs periodic recalibration.

Okay here just a quick impression from the first level from someone who loves Lylat Wars (Starfox 64's EU name):

The game feels so much like Lylat Wars in the first level that I subconsciously thought I'm actually playing it which screwed with my mind a few times, it's just a great level with nostalgia overload and I can't wait to find out how to get to the alternate routes! :D I don't really like the way laser upgrades are handled though, I always manage to get myself up to the Hyper Laser and then randomly seem to lose it :/

The controls are okay thanks to the alternative bindings, the motion aiming works fine and pretty intuitive although I have to say due to the intense button-press requirements the ergonomics of the Wii U pad make my hands cramp pretty badly here and I didn't really like that the first boss required me to fire at him in cockpit mode, once I was used to it, it was fine however.

The homing attack now seems to have a sweet-spot fire, atleast sometimes the energy-ball has a blue aura instead of green which makes me think it does more damage when timed right although I'm not sure.

What annoyed me though that the communication voices are forced to play through the gamepad speakers which had me plug my headset into the 3.5mm jack, it's not a dealbreaker but I can see it being annoying for people who want to play without headphone or have their headphones plugged into the TV. The game gives you next to zero options in general which is a bit baffling.

But really other than the control and option woes, I can see me liking this just as much as Lylat Wars back in the day! :D

And a question for anyone who plays already:

At the beginning of the
Sector Alpha
stage, how do I prevent
the Conerian ship to be shot down?
Since laser upgrades don't seem to carry over between missions anymore I can't do enough damage and destroy the
enemy laser ship before it fires, even if I boost all the way to reach it earlier.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not played much but I am enjoying what I have played so far and I find the control not to be so bad to learn and it just reminds me of The Wonderful 101 were there was a lot to learn but the pay off was worth it.

Plus Star Fox 64 also had a learning curve as well so that made me more accepting.

Okay here just a quick impression from the first level from someone who loves Lylat Wars (Starfox 64's EU name):

At the beginning of the
Sector Alpha
stage, how do I prevent
the Conerian ship to be shot down?
Since laser upgrades don't seem to carry over between missions anymore I can't do enough damage and destroy the
enemy laser ship before it fires, even if I boost all the way to reach it earlier.

Use Bombs Wisely

imae

This game is awesome, I've played 5 hours straight and had alot of fun so far, a pleasant surprise after seeing some of the reviews.

The controls feel really good and have been fun to use after having clicked for me, which didnt take too long - perhaps because I play a lot of Splatoon. The gyro gives that extra bit of freedom that doesn't seem like it offers much at first, but it's enough to make a big difference in clutch moments and when going for those HITs. The dual screen views are great for anticipating how you need to manoeuvre in all range mode.
I've not had a problem with the other vehicles so far, fairly straight forward to control but the walker did take a little getting used to, I'm a beast in that thing now though.

Its probably been about 16 years since I last played Starfox 64, but playing Zero feels like I'm discovering something new, which is quite rare. I'm not sure if the controls and dual screens are playing the biggest part in that, or if it's just an odd form of nostalgia.

atr0cious

the ergonomics of the Wii U pad make my hands cramp pretty badly here
You might already do this, but make sure you have both forefingers on the top buttons and your middle fingers on the triggers at the same time. The gamepad is the only controller that must be held a certain way, for better or worse. Thanks for the impressions, can't wait for tomorrow.

McNum

Thanks, it's just that it implies that sometimes the control gets out of whack and needs periodic recalibration.
I'm not going to deny that it can. But it's more that when you've been shooting at a 45+ degree angle, it's just faster to realign yourself to "close enough" and hit Recalibrate than it is to find the exact position you were at before shooting that way. Don't fiddle with it, if you're in doubt hit the L-stick. You don't have time to find your old center.

Most of my recalibrations are simply "I need to aim forward NOW!" clicks than "Aw, man, it's off center-again..." clicks. If that makes sense?

Yes you can unlock all amiibo features.
Nintendo life video review mentioned it. Not sure if it was under embargo but let it all be known! Also bestbuy had a falco amiibo sale with purchase of SFZ so got one anyways.

https://youtu.be/nlyPoi5mqG4
Around 3:50

Then it looks like I'll be doing many playthoughs of this game with the black arwing. Its the perfect difficulty that I'm looking for to add just enough edge to every fight. I can't wait.

Edit: Plus the Black Arwing Walker might be my favorite Vehicle design in the franchise. Probably the best unlockable in the franchise.

Platy

I want to know that too...
If it's unlockable through gameplay, I'm buying the game right away.

If gameplay is locked through cheap plastic toys, I'm skipping the game.

Don't care for Amiibo's at all.

I don't care if useless stuff is unlocked trough amiibo like the twilight princess stuff ... but star fox is a GAME ABOUT SCORE and glass cannon would totaly help with the score

Yes you can unlock all amiibo features.
Nintendo life video review mentioned it. Not sure if it was under embargo but let it all be known! Also bestbuy had a falco amiibo sale with purchase of SFZ so got one anyways.

https://youtu.be/nlyPoi5mqG4
Around 3:50

FUCK YEAH !

I would love to have the amiibos but the price is insane in my country =(

NateDrake

I'm not going to deny that it can. But it's more that when you've been shooting at a 45+ degree angle, it's just faster to realign yourself to "close enough" and hit Recalibrate than it is to find the exact position you were at before shooting that way. Don't fiddle with it, if you're in doubt hit the L-stick. You don't have time to find your old center.

Most of my recalibrations are simply "I need to aim forward NOW!" clicks than "Aw, man, it's off center-again..." clicks. If that makes sense?

Are you playing with 'Always On' for motion? If you set it so "Only when pressing ZR' the cursor returns to center on its own.

Thanks, OP. Nice to leave the poisoned threads behind and discuss this game with folks who are willing to give it a chance. My copy arrives tomorrow. Looking forward to tucking in!

Use Bombs Wisely

Hmm I thought of that but where do I get them in the first level? :/

You might already do this, but make sure you have both forefingers on the top buttons and your middle fingers on the triggers at the same time. The gamepad is the only controller that must be held a certain way, for better or worse. Thanks for the impressions, can't wait for tomorrow.

You're welcome, I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do! :) And thanks for the tip, I just tried to hold it that way and it seems odd but I'll try playing like that and see if it makes things better in the long run. Normally I have my middle-fingers under the gamepad ridge at the back.

I'm really excited for this one. I love Star Fox games. Although I might be even more excited for Project Guard. I've been craving some good tower defense action.

McNum

Are you playing with 'Always On' for motion? If you set it so "Only when pressing ZR' the cursor returns to center on its own.
Yeah, but I prefer it like this. There are times when you want to look at things and not shoot them. Like wingmen, Or things behind shields that are about to become vulnerable.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm down, controls were not hard to get used to when I played it at e3, almost as if the demo was too easy.

atr0cious

Really happy about the amiiboless unlocks. Only star fox amiibo i would want is a slippy.
I just tried to hold it that way and it seems odd but I'll try playing like that and see if it makes things better in the long run. Normally I have my middle-fingers under the gamepad ridge at the back.

Yea it does, especially since you're using muscles in fingers your not used to using. I actually use my middle fingers as weight bearers by placing them on the triggers but braced on the ridge. But trust me, after a few hours you'll feel the difference. Playing splatoon for hours has ingrained this in me.

J@hranimo

Banned
Aw yiss, we're finally here! I'll be getting it from Gamestop in the morning tomorrow :)

Also hearing about the arwings being unlockable without amiibos is great news. I already have both the Fox and Falco amiibo, but I'd be like "cmon Nintendo" if they had it locked on the figurines.

Renewed

Thank you for the OT, subbed!

Never really played a Star Fox game before (Adventure with my neighbour.... lol) so I'll be doing co-op with my little brother who wanted the game.

BFIB

I absolutely loved Star Fox on SNES and Star Fox 64. Didn't care for Adventures and Assault on the DS.

I honestly have thought about selling my Wii U, but I may have to get this if it truly is the spiritual successor to Star Fox 64.

Top Bottom