• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero |OT| The Fox Awakens

Im in love with this game. Its the sequel I always wanted since the original. Just sublime, there us literally nothing that plays like this whole still feeling like StarFox.

Also, the bosses are TOUGH! And i might add is the most arcade-y game of the series.

All range mode now is so much fun, while it was a bit of a slog on 64.

Buy this gaf!
We're back home dude.
1461316416-fox1-zpsi8fvm79h.gif

Mine has turned up! The First Print Edition is lovely :p

I can't wait to jump in and play this now!! Just need to finish off some revision first :'( damn final year exams!

BooJoh

It's worth mentioning that if you buy the digital version of StarFox Zero, when you tap the StarFox Guard icon on the main menu it takes you to an eShop page for a StarFox Guard Special Demo which is listed as releasing today (probably at noon Eastern.) This should be good for anyone like me who's on the fence about Guard.

Ok, I have been playing for a few hours now and it's amazing.

First of all, the controls felt good almost immediately to me. Very natural, I love it. Maybe it's a bit easier for people that play a lot of Splatoon (like myself). I barely use the motion controls in normal flying mode, all range is the only time I actively use them and it feels good.

Make small and subtle movements with the gamepad and you'll get the hang of it in no time!

The game feels a lot like Starfox 64 which is fine by me.

Ok, back to playing!

Got the game and played for 5 minutes / the controls tutorial. Gyro controls are absolutely amazing. Once again a case of: what it wrong with you, you heavy handed video game people?

Prax

Looking forward to finally playing this again! :D I was so good at SF64... Can't wait to see how my skills have deteriorated! LOL

KingBroly

Banned
It's worth mentioning that if you buy the digital version of StarFox Zero, when you tap the StarFox Guard icon on the main menu it takes you to an eShop page for a StarFox Guard Special Demo which is listed as releasing today (probably at noon Eastern.) This should be good for anyone like me who's on the fence about Guard.

The retail version does this as well.

I think it's kinda stupid to make them separate, tbh.

Rewind

So is there anyway to get all the audio through the optical port for headphones? Game pad audio should not be mandatory and I hate when it is.

Mine has turned up! The First Print Edition is lovely :p

I can't wait to jump in and play this now!! Just need to finish off some revision first :'( damn final year exams!

Story of my life right now. So many good games coming out and I have maybe an hour a day max to play them. Stress city :(

The controls haven't quite clicked with me yet, especially the walker, but it feels amazing when it's working well. I will say the barrel roll doesn't feel precise enough double-tapping a direction on R-stick - is there another way?

I bought Star Fox Command on the virtual console to play while I was waiting for my copy to show up. That was a huge waste of $10. I had no idea how much that game sucked...

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like the controls work better with the Gyro always being on.

Why? I dunno.

I have to re-calibrate a lot more though.

jwillenn

I earned Gold for Corneria this morning. All I have to say is be sure you're getting your +1s as often as you can or else you'll be confused to dickens as Gold begins to seem elusive.

AGoodODST

Played around in training mode and finished the first stage. I love this game. Feels so good to play.

Regarding the controls, I think they are fine. I was expecting a battle to get used to them after reading reviews and some impressions, but honestly, it took me all of five seconds to get used to it. I think their complexity has been massively exaggerated or I'm a motion control god (I'm not). Anyone that has played Splatoon will be fine.

Personally, I find the it better to play with motion always on. It allows you to line up shots before you fire, which you pretty much need to do all the time. The other control mode seems more like a hindrance to me.

YN12

Banned
People had a problem with assault's controls? The controls were not a problem with that game, the game was slow, mediocre and the on foot controls were clunky, but it was not a problem of wrapping your head around them.

I agree. It's not that the game was bad, it's just that the on-rail stages were too few (3) and the on-foot gameplay, while good for MP, was just too clunky for SP.

But the on-rail missions, those were soooo good.

Thalia cancelled my 43 Euro First Print Edition order... I hope some deals will pop up in the next two weeks. I really want that edition of the game.

Is there a demo on the eshop?

kadotsu

Banned
Just got Zero. After the Prolog, there are three things I would change to make the game instantly better.

Options Menu: Where the fuck is it. I don't want the German VO just because my console is set to German
Banter through the TV: I want messages going through my sound system and not the gamepad.
Display the crosshair while you are target locked: There is no need to force me to look at the gamepad when you could just display it on TV.

Other than that it feels good. Motion feels good, too, which I wasn't expecting.

YN12

Banned
Display the crosshair while you are target locked: There is no need to force me to look at the gamepad when you could just display it on TV.

Other than that it feels good. Motion feels good, too, which I wasn't expecting.

What do you mean?

kadotsu

Banned
What do you mean?

When you press ZL you lock onto a target. The camera puts you, the locked target on a line regardless of ship orientation in all-range mode. It doesn't display the crosshair, though. Other games that have a similar mechanic (Dark Void, Crimson Sky) still display it. In SFZ you need to look at the gamepad to aim at a locked on target.

How are the load times comparing between the disc and eShop versions?

I've finally filled up my external on the Wii U and will probably head out to buy it retail if it's not a noticeable difference.

pulsemyne

How are the load times comparing between the disc and eShop versions?

I've finally filled up my external on the Wii U and will probably head out to buy it retail if it's not a noticeable difference.

There's barely any load time between levels. A few seconds at the most.

Soul Lab

finished my first playthrough. wow that last boss fight is tough oO

earned 4 medals xD I sucked i guess

btw: graphics and controls are fine to me

YN12

Banned
When you press ZL you lock onto a target. The camera puts you, the locked target on a line regardless of ship orientation in all-range mode. It doesn't display the crosshair, though. Other games that have a similar mechanic (Dark Void, Crimson Sky) still display it. In SFZ you need to look at the gamepad to aim at a locked on target.

Ok, got it.

I found that confusing as well. You are basically locked on a side-view of the game, but still retain full control of your ship. It may be useful in some scenarios, but its strange at first.

I think they went out of their way to give you the maxium amount of control, but at first its a bit overwhelming.

Mat-triX

Quick GAF, tell me if I should buy it.

I've never played a Star Fox game before, but I liked everything I saw and heard about Zero up to this point, I was just recently pushed away because of some of the negative reviews. I also like/love gyro aiming.

Scrawnton

My Amazon order isn't getting here until Tuesday for some reason, but I'm very excited to get it and play it with you all.

Are all day one editions in a metal case?!

I've never played a Star Fox game before, but I liked everything I saw and heard about Zero up to this point, I was just recently pushed away because of some of the negative reviews. I also like/love gyro aiming.

I haven't played it yet, but from what I read the make or break deal for people were the controls. If you're open minded and can take the time to learn them, I'm hearing you'll have a good time.

the bolded is probably a good thing if you're interested in the game, even more so than you liking gyro aiming

pulsemyne

Ok, got it.

I found that confusing as well. You are basically locked on a side-view of the game, but still retain full control of your ship. It may be useful in some scenarios, but its strange at first.

I think they went out of their way to give you the maxium amount of control, but at first its a bit overwhelming.
I only ever used it as a quick way of seeing where someone is. "Ah there you are Pigma you little shit!" Turn, Burn and shot.

Joqu

Most complaints I've seen seem to be about a) the controls b) it being a rehash of Star Fox 64 and c) although it's sort of related to b, the length of the game

I haven't got my hands on the game yet but I think it's fair to say the controls aren't "just" gyro, there seems to be a learning curve, but you liking gyro aiming and the fact that you've never played a Star Fox game before seem like they'd be advantages when it comes to Zero. As for c, yeah SF64 (and Zero too as a result) is built all around replaying stages and taking different paths in order to unlock new ones. As long as you keep that in mind and don't rush to the end and then stop playing I'd assume you'll get a decent playtime out of it.

So I say give it a go.

Neff

Im in love with this game. Its the sequel I always wanted since the original. Just sublime, there is literally nothing that plays like this while still feeling like StarFox.

Also, the bosses are TOUGH! And i might add is the most arcade-y game of the series.

All range mode now is so much fun, while it was a bit of a slog on 64.

Completely, totally agree with all of this.

TDLink

The Fox Awakens? I was expecting a more Starfox-sounding OT title.

But that OP is nicely done.

It's because like The Force Awakens it's a sort-of remake of the original (and 64). It's also the 7th Star Fox Game, so nice coincidence there.

Peltz

Most complaints I've seen seem to be about a) the controls b) it being a rehash of Star Fox 64 and c) although it's sort of related to b, the length of the game

I haven't got my hands on the game yet but I think it's fair to say the controls aren't "just" gyro, there seems to be a learning curve, but you liking gyro aiming and the fact that you've never played a Star Fox game before seem like they'd be advantages when it comes to Zero. As for c, yeah SF64 (and Zero too as a result) is built all around replaying stages and taking different paths in order to unlock new ones. As long as you keep that in mind and don't rush to the end and then stop playing I'd assume you'll get a decent playtime out of it.

So I say give it a go.
Yep. I think I have put over 1000 hours into Starfox 64 chasing high scores. It's the most replayable game ever made in my humble opinion.

If this game is anything like that, I'll get a lot out of it.

I had fun with the stealth gyrocopter level the first time, but I'm worried it'll be a bit of a slog on repeat playthroughs. We'll see.

This is one of the most "new" feeling games I've played this gen, it's nuts. I'm surprised by the amount of scenarios and ideas they're pulling out of this dual screen mechanic. Having a blast overall and I'm already looking forward to replaying the levels, getting medals, etc.

YN12

Banned
Can you disable the motion controls and just use the Wii U Pro Controller?

No, you cant use the WiiU pro controller only. And the motion controls cannot be disabled.

However, the on-rail sections of the game can be played like SF64, with no need to worry about looking at the second screen.

Edit:

OK, I am going to try to explain this a bit more.

So, in SFZ you have three vehicles. Lets talke the Airwing for example. The airwing can transform into the walker.

You have a set of commands that are consitent for both the Airwing and the Walker. For example, you can boost and slow down, turn 180 degrees, lock on to targets, etc. The Walker however can also hover.

Some of the commands are more useful for the Walker. Especially the ability to move and shoot in different directions. On the on-rail sections of the Airwing, motion aiming is not really necessary. However, in Walker mode, it's handy to be able to shoot directly below or above while hovering.

So the game can be played largely like SF64 but also adds sections where you need more spacial awareness than what is right in front of you (for example, below, above, or behind). The controls are sophisticated because they allow the player to be effective in all kind of situations.

This is not to say they are easy. But once you master them, the feeling of accomplishment in pulling off crazy moves is great. It feels a bit like GunValkyrie, that old Sega game on the xbox.

Cormano

No, you cant use the WiiU pro contoller only. And the motion controls cannot be disabled.

However, the on-rail sections of the game can be played like SF64, with no need to worry about looking at the second screen.

Ah crap, im gonna end up hating this game just like Skyward Sword, i'll see how it goes later tonight.

Top Bottom