• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean V might be coming to PC

oSoLucky

Would you ever guess that PC was going to be the true JRPG machine?

When it starts getting launch parity, for sure. There are still quite a few on Sony hardware/3DS that don't get ported for years, if ever. It's very quickly moving in the right direction though.

Isn't PC still not very big in Japan? I know that was one of the biggest roadblocks for a long time. If Sony truly adopts the smartphone model with real forward and back compatibility, that and PC could have just about all the bases covered.

I'll take all of the Star Oceans(but 4) and Resonance of Fate for starters please Japan. Mmmm, just thinking about grinding to destroy Freya's cheap ass in TEoT again.

Something to give Rikku proper, decent clothing? The highly conservative, moral nature of PC modding is world renowned.

It was the Japanese voice / English text swap. Since that was like the very first user made fix on the day of it's release. Seriously.

Precisely. And these naughty mods comments on every PC port thread is an outdated, depressing meme at this point.

trejo

If you ever wondered how to make the worst possible ensemble cast for a JRPG and the dumbest protagonist that everyone somehow worships, or if you ever wondered what Tri-Ace devs' sexual fetishes are (in the form of the female party members), then Star Ocean 4 may be for you.
I will not deny that Meracle in particular was horrible panderbait of the highest order but I'll be damned if she wasn't fun as hell to control in battle.

Well, there it is..

Can you guess what was the first mod for FF X/X-2 PC?

It added new clothes to the girls in FFX-2, didn't it?

15-0-1464630851.png

15-0-1464670925.png

15-0-1464631044.png

(Left new, right old)

There was fairly large backlash over this, enough to the point where the creator stopped making mods

DMiz

... What, what?

Are S-E still convinced that many PC gamers don't 'have controllers'? I mean, I understand that the Japanese PC gaming market is very different from the one in Europe and America, but I would imagine that controllers for PCs aren't exactly an uncommon phenomenon over there.

OmegaDL50

... What, what?

Are S-E still convinced that many PC gamers don't 'have controllers'? I mean, I understand that the Japanese PC gaming market is very different from the one in Europe and America, but I would imagine that controllers for PCs aren't exactly an uncommon phenomenon over there.

Yeah seems to be a bit outdated.

I'm surprised the interviewer didn't bring up the fact game console controllers work on PC using bluetooth wireless, or plugging the USB charge cable directly into the PC like a wired controller.

If people own a game console now, they already have a fully functional controller that works on their PC. Some work natively by just simply plugging them in, and others need easy to use software such as DS4Windows

Nyoro SF

... What, what?

Keep in mind many, if not all, of these PC ports are developed by outside (Western) firms.
So S-E Japanese producers would likely not know offhand how PC players prefer to control RPGs and such. And of course the Japanese PC market is incredibly tiny.

That being said, games are developed on PCs with USB controllers certainly used, but perhaps they still think the majority users are keyboard. Or maybe he's just uninformed. Wouldn't be the first time since PC gamers aren't their focus.

synce

i wonder what the first mod will be
Star-Ocean-Integrity-and-Faithlessness-28-200x200.jpg

Probably reverting the changes done to appease SJWs who weren't going to buy the game in the first place? I recall an uproar over granny panties

In any case this is amazing news. Looks like Japan's embrace of PC gaming is very much real and not a fad

Mivey

Precisely. And these naughty mods comments on every PC port thread is an outdated, depressing meme at this point.
I am always reminded of the DOA port where the dev basically begged people not to do any nude mods. Also, it's the internet, you will always have naughty mods, for anything.

There was fairly large backlash over this, enough to the point where the creator stopped making mods
Backlash? From which group?

Tohsaka

Probably reverting the changes done to appease SJWs who weren't going to buy the game in the first place? I recall an uproar over granny panties

In any case this is amazing news. Looks like Japan's embrace of PC gaming is very much real and not a fad

They didn't change anything for the western version, we're getting the same thing Japan did. They changed one of the characters' panties during development.

MUnited83

For you.
I am always reminded of the DOA port where the dev basically begged people not to do any nude mods. Also, it's the internet, you will always have naughty mods, for anything.

The usual GG crowd that hangs around the steam forums. The usual "swjs are censoring our gamez" bullcrap.
It added new clothes to the girls in FFX-2, didn't it?

(Left new, right old)

Yeah, it's a damn shame. I like the original outfits as well but I think the modder did a really good job on this.

OmegaDL50

Curious how the port will turn out, if this does end up being the case. Would this be Tri-Ace's first PC port?

Yes, it would be the first ever tri-Ace game released on PC.

Although I don't think tri-Ace would do the port themselves, most likely a porting studio would handle it like Virtuos for example.

Backlash over what? That's really good work!
God, I hate the internet.

the creator said " unfortunately the huge negative reception I received posting this mod on the Steam forums has kind of soured me on modding this game. I'm leaving what I've done up and I'd like to come back to this project at some point, but right now I'm too pissed."

however since i cannot find the discussion on the steam forums i imagine it was deleted

Uh, the top mods on Nexus Mods for FFX/FFX-2 are all texture mods, UI mods or modest clothing for Gullwings/Lulu.

I can't even find a lewd mod.

Corpekata

Banned
Man you'd think with how friendly western Square Enix is toward PC and some of Japan is getting there they'd at least inform developers of things like "A lot of people are fine with playing on controllers in PC"

Taruranto

DOA dev asking people to not make nude mods is just too funny to me.

I mean, I get they need to sell DLC costumes and they can't do that on PC, but LOL.

Celcius

°Temp. member
YES.
I was literally just about to go to the store to buy a PS4 for this but now I'm gonna wait for a PC release. This thread was right on time.

Battlechili

Banned
Awesome news! I've only played the PS2 Star Ocean, but if it comes to PC I'd be willing to try out the series again. I'm still upset about the diaper girl censorship thing, but I can get over it. Still, this is one of Square's more out there series. What about PC ports of Kingdom Hearts games, or of mainline Dragon Quest games, or of Drakengard/Nier games? It just seems strange that it'd be Star Ocean 5 of all things.

Also lol. I think its kind of funny how they don't seem to consider that people are okay with playing games with a controller on PC. Although to be fair, people will complain and/or may even leave negative reviews for games that don't have good mouse&keyboard support.

Celcius

°Temp. member
"That's our main worry and that's the reason why we delayed for later the release of a PC version, to think of a control scheme for players without a controller."

I find it really hard to believe that the PC version is delayed because of this lol

From what I understand you are supposed to avoid the 4th one like the plague.

I've played 2 and 4. I liked them both.

"That's our main worry and that's the reason why we delayed for later the release of a PC version, to think of a control scheme for players without a controller."

I find it really hard to believe that the PC version is delayed because of this lol

I think he said not every PC gamer uses a controller, which is probably true. They shouldn't ship the game without good KBM controls, is what he is thinking.

xemumanic

Gimme Dat.

I'll buy it on Principle just so more Tri-Ace games come to PC in the future. And I'll continue to buy if it convinces other developers and publishers to release on PC.

Exentryk

I'd prefer to get the PC version, but the PS4 version does run at 60fps. But then PC version might be able to run at 4K. Decisions...

I suppose every Square game will with a delay (with the exeption of Kingdom Hearts and stuff like Dissidia/VIIR where they have some Sony dealing going on).

koutoru

I would love to see Star Ocean 5 on PC, this game needs to get on as many platforms as possible.

The first mod will consist of skinny panties for Miki.

Vice

Oh, cool. How are the Star Ocean games?
The best in the series are 2 and 3. They are above average JRPGs on their platforms with some fun characters. I say that 2 is the best, good batte system, a nice crafting system and lots of neat little story moments. 3 and 4 improve on the battle system but, 4 had garbage charcters. 1 is interesting but feels pretty archaic. Really shows off what the Super Famicon could do though.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Oh, cool. How are the Star Ocean games?

First two are classics IMO. They had fast, fun battle systems, a really colorful cast of characters who all play differently, great music, and lots of choices to make.

3 and 4 basically just have fun battle systems but everything else is utter dog shit.

Ploid 3.0

Whoa, they fixed Yuna's face? And these graphics looks good. I ignored FFX remastered because I got enough of it on PS2 (I still have the game and could play it on PCSX2 as well). I may get this the next sale, or I could just check the price now and get it if it's not crazy like $50 or something.

I never played FFX-2, partly because of the outfits the characters had. I remember I sent my mom to get MGS VR Missions and she wondered if I wanted this game since I liked Final Fantasy. I was secretly embarrassed she had to see the game lol. What the heck Rikku. I had to spend my own money on games so I didn't want to waste it on something I would have to explain to my family each time I'm playing. "You see, it's hot where they are so... yeah." I remember being questioned about Tomb Raider 2.

Top Bottom