• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean V might be coming to PC

Can you guess what was the first mod for FF X/X-2 PC?

To my knowledge it was mixing japanese audio and english text.

http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantasy-x-x-2-modded-to-support-mixing-japanese-audio-and-english-text/

Most texture mods I have seen have been trying to adjust things to match the original, because the remaster does look strange compared to original in some aspects. For the most part I would say the stuff I have seen isn't NSFW at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a poorly textured mod or something though, they can't adjust model shapes easily iirc, so I don't there would be any full on nude mods any time soon.

edit: Well I'm guess I'm late to the party.

Reallink

The news here is that JP Devs apparently don't know pretty much every western PC gamer has a controller. Have we uncovered the real reason for their curiously delayed embracement of the platform?

Seeing comments like "do people have/know they can use a controller on PC" make me crazy. How removed from the world are some of these people.

Either way I hope it drops on PC. More JRPGs the better.

MilkBeard

The news here is that JP Devs apparently don't know pretty much every western PC gamer has a controller. Have we uncovered the real reason for their curiously delayed embracement of the platform?

Yeah, I find that a really hilarious thing.

Alright Tri-Ace, now you know. Now get cracking on those PC ports!

They helped on Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

The key here is that their PC-Ass PC game design would now be on PC.

Nope. Remember, computer games hit a downward slide hard waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1995 there, long before such things were common. It's something you notice with PC-original Japanese action games that the kb+m is possible and designed towards.

Grief.exe

You will still get hit by negative reviews solely targeting the lack of mouse support, which will impact sales to a degree.

Lime

I think the statement by the producer has been misunderstood or mistranslated through either Japanese -> English -> French -> English

What Kobayashi is saying is that they have never really considered doing a PC version because they don't know how you can play their game without a controller.

This is also in line with how tri-ace has never once considered PC releases. Maybe Square Enix will have affected them this time around, but I doubt tri-ace who can't even put their games on PSN, have the capacity to port to PC.

Called it a while back. It'll be the same thing like DQ heroes. Stealth PC release / announcement a few months later. And they will say some BS like sales of so5 will decide if platform wants more SO games and it'll still not sell well on either PS4 or PC.

I think the statement by the producer has been misunderstood or mistranslated through either Japanese -> English -> French -> English

What Kobayashi is saying is that they have never really considered doing a PC version because they don't know how you can play their game without a controller.

This is also in line with how tri-ace has never once considered PC releases. Maybe Square Enix will have affected them this time around, but I doubt tri-ace who can't even put their games on PSN, have the capacity to port to PC.

The source is French though. And the interview was conducted by them. So if anything, it's Japanese -> French. And in the french interview, the wording is pretty clear that they plan it.
If anything, the translation is Japanese to French (by the interviewer) and French to English (by me). As a native french speaker, he's clearly not saying he never considered that.
So maybe something was lost from Japanese to French, but not from French to English.

Kudo

Makes sense. Notable lack of "Only on PlayStation" on the box art:

The European version has it, doesn't mean much though as Dragon Quest Heroes has it too still.

Just cancelled my Collector's Edition pre-order, so they better not be joking around, been burned one too many times by SQUEEs "scammy" PC releases so not this time.
Will be picking this up from sale when it comes.

The European version has it, doesn't mean much though as Dragon Quest Heroes has it too still.

Just cancelled my Collector's Edition pre-order, so they better not be joking around, been burned one too many times by SQUEEs "scammy" PC releases so not this time.
Will be picking this up from sale when it comes.

It actually doesn't. DQH had it on non final. Same with SO5. Only the ones with provisional PEGI havei t.

Kudo

It actually doesn't. DQH had it on non final. Same with SO5. Only the ones with provisional PEGI havei t.

I was just checking their European Online store, both have the "Only on Playstation" covers there. Game physically is missing it you're right.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good. More sales so we can secure a sequel. I can say Valkyria Azure Revolution will be getting a localization because of the PC port doing very well for itself

I was just checking their European Online store, both have the "Only on Playstation" covers there. Game physically is missing it you're right.

The covers don't have the final PEGI or USK in the case of Germany ratings so they can't be final covers. I have 2 copies of DQH on PS4 (EU copies) and it doenst say only on playstation. in fact it says playstation exclusive content for some stupid in game items.

Momentary

Banned
You will still get hit by negative reviews solely targeting the lack of mouse support, which will impact sales to a degree.

This is true. No telling how many JRPGs have released with tacked on or no kb/m controls at all and have had people shaking their fists in the air about it.

I don't care personally. But I can understand their concern with the over-dramatic PC crowd.

With that said. I just want to take the time to randomly say that I hate Koei Tecmo PC ports. Thank you.

Kudo

The covers don't have the final PEGI or USK in the case of Germany ratings so they can't be final covers. I have 2 copies of DQH on PS4 (EU copies) and it doenst say only on playstation. in fact it says playstation exclusive content for some stupid in game items.

Makes sense then, wonder why do they use non-finalized covers there though..
My copy that I bought few weeks ago from sale doesn't have the stamp either and it's still "Day One Edition" year after release, hah.

Momentary

Banned
I also want to say that Square Enix has been doing better starting with their Type-0 release.

Yes it was locked to 30fps, but everything concerning graphical customization was just down right amazing.

Makes sense then, wonder why do they use non-finalized covers there though..
My copy that I bought few weeks ago from sale doesn't have the stamp either and it's still "Day One Edition" year after release, hah.

You still get type 0 hd day one editions. they overestimate the sales of these games lol.

Tales of Zestiria runs beautifully on Steam.

edit: nm wasn't wearing my glasses

image.php

I really don't see how coming up with keyboard and mouse controls is hard.

All left hand keys mapped around the WASD region (The corners of this area being Q, R, V, and Z) and the modifier keys, left thumb rested firmly on space, and right hand on mouse that has at least two buttons and a clickable scrollwheel.

That's a simple enough region to map controls around, with only 18 digital inputs total, which is about the same amount as a DS4 (Not counting WASD) - The only challenge I see here is properly mapping analog left stick controls into WASD digital controls and redoing how camera control is handled due to the lack of dead-zones on mice. And if having D-Pad inputs happen during gameplay independent from movement is necessary, there's always the arrow keys.

And that idea was assuming that we're looking at a Valkyria Chronicles or Tales of Zestiria situation where the MnK control options are 1:1 with the options available to controllers. There's always the potential to go the extra mile like Capcom (usually) does with their ports to take full advantage of mouse and keyboard controls.

Jiraiza

Likely won't be playing SO5 for awhile, but will get it for PC if it does happen.

On another (kind of unrelated) note, are people already receiving notices about their PS4 copy getting shipped out?

hmmm...these late releases Square never does physical editions...and I already have the PS4 CE ordered. I'd much rather play on PC though...

Guess if I havent beaten it by the time the PC version hits I'll just be a jackass and double dip and play on PC

OmegaDL50

I remember people hating 3 back in the day. I guess 4 was just that bad.

The biggest issue people had with SO3 was mainly the plot twist, It was SO4 however that some various....characterization issues.

SO3 was one of the few localizations which had Alexander O. Smith involved with it's script and so it was competent in terms of localization and the gameplay was solid, outside the plot twist, SO3 is generally looked much more favorably compared to SO4.

hmmm...these late releases Square never does physical editions...and I already have the PS4 CE ordered. I'd much rather play on PC though...

Guess if I havent beaten it by the time the PC version hits I'll just be a jackass and double dip and play on PC

When it comes to SE-published JRPG, PC version is usually on par with console. Maybe a little bit upgrade here and there, but that's all. There's no reason to skip this on PS4 if you have one. Unless if you're not too eager to play it soon and prefer to wait for a much cheaper price later on PC.

Mcdohl

I hope you guys are right.

I just cancelled my pre-order.

It's the kind of game I can wait for, but if this never happens to be true I would lose Day One Edition privileges.

kewlmyc

Might pass on it then for now. Was going to give it a rental, but might cancel my Gamefly account to save some money.

Banned
I hope you guys are right.

I just cancelled my pre-order.

It's the kind of game I can wait for, but if this never happens to be true I would lose Day One Edition privileges.
Which will just be bundled with the late PC version anyway or be repackaged in a definitive edition for PS4 or go on sale a year later lol.

Copper

From what I've heard SO5 doesn't sound too good. I've heard it can be beaten in 20 hours. Hope I am wrong though. It is still crazy to see how detached Japanese developers are to western PC audiences.

Lockon

Is there going to be an OT for this. I got my collector edition today. Love the art book and steel case.

Edit: just noticed release date is next week. Guess I got the game 4 days early!

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The biggest issue people had with SO3 was mainly the plot twist, It was SO4 however that some various....characterization issues.

SO3 was one of the few localizations which had Alexander O. Smith involved with it's script and so it was competent in terms of localization and the gameplay was solid, outside the plot twist, SO3 is generally looked much more favorably compared to SO4.

I disagree with this. There were a lot of things wrong with SO3 besides just the dumb plot twist. Like how you spend the first 20 hours doing all this pointless, inconsequential busywork. Or the excessive amount of pointless backtracking (e.g. revisiting every previous dungeon with the ring of destruction, backtracking when that boulder blocks your path in the volcano dungeon, etc). Or the bland corridor-style dungeons. Or the item creation system, which is almost impossible to figure out without a guide and involves pissing all your money away/reloading over and over.

SO3 also appears to have completely shifted direction late in development in order to implement that big twist. Look at the country of Greeton.
- Nel originally rescues you because she thinks you're from Greeton and have access to advanced technology - must be a cool place!
- there is a gate leading to Greeton from Peterny, which is blocked
- various NPCs tell you how Greeton has rock people and featherfolk
- there is a cutscene where you discover an old ruined golem from Greeton

But of course after all that buildup, you never go there. I'm convinced the original plot would have you travel to Greeton, but someone at tri-Ace saw The Matrix and decided to change it.

But at any rate, I think it's unfair to say that most people who disliked SO3 just didn't like the plot twist. There were a lot of things wrong with that game.

Taruranto

I disagree with this. There were a lot of things wrong with SO3 besides just the dumb plot twist. Like how you spend the first 20 hours doing all this pointless, inconsequential busywork. Or the excessive amount of pointless backtracking (e.g. revisiting every previous dungeon with the ring of destruction, backtracking when that boulder blocks your path in the volcano dungeon, etc). Or the bland corridor-style dungeons. Or the item creation system, which is almost impossible to figure out without a guide and involves pissing all your money away/reloading over and over.

This sounds like every SO ever though, especially fanbase beloved 2.

Top Bottom