• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Available To Download On Xbox One & PSN

I've been watching deeo space 9 lately so I'm pumped to play it!!

I'll start as a Ferengi haha

Any chance of a GAF console fleet??

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Got into Star Trek last year with TNG and now going through DS9, but never checked out STO. With these console versions seems like a good excuse to check it out. Shame PSN is down at the moment.

Be aware, the STO story contains major spoilers for Deep Space Nine.

Karak

Finally watching it now. I loved your 7of9 / Dax hotness joke lol

Sucks that I couldn't start playing this last night...

LOL thanks.
Ya its an odd rollout for the versions too. Not sure what was up with that. But glad to see it poping up on all my friends lists.

And FYI the gambit system works insanely well. I talked about it in the review. It just sort of works. Enough options to be useful but not too many to be confusing

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are there any build guides out there that would apply to the console version? Everything I can find right now seems to be tailored to the PC version, and I'd like to find a good guide before I start investing too many points.

Htown

shiet, last season spoilers? I'm on season 6 right now :(

There are explicit spoilers for an important season 6 episode, and beyond that the game kind of assumes you're aware of how the major conflicts shook out.

zedge

Is this some timed exclusive for Sony?

In Canada, its up on the PSN store, but its still not on the Xbox store.

Are there any build guides out there that would apply to the console version? Everything I can find right now seems to be tailored to the PC version, and I'd like to find a good guide before I start investing too many points.

Isn't it the same game? The guides should be good for all systems.

Epcott

Just started playing the PS4 version. I debated about getting an Xbox One version, but I'll see how this game plays first. A shame it's not cross platform play.

Nearly done downloading on X1. Weirdly excited to play. Never touched it on pc, hadn't thought about it in years until I saw it in the store tonight.

haikira

Friend and I are going to give this a shot over the weekend.

Can players of different factions play together? For example, one who's Federation, and one who's Klingon.

cobell

Friend and I are going to give this a shot over the weekend.

Can players of different factions play together? For example, one who's Federation, and one who's Klingon.

Unless things have greatly changed since I last played on PC about 1-2 years ago, for the most part. no. I want to say there were some (limited) number of missions where you could play cross faction but this is at or near max level (in STFs sort of a raid type mission).

And I don't recall if you can actually party up with players in other factions. I want to say you couldn't party up and queue together, and you had to queue up separately for the missions.

Edit: I recall some of the later end game faction reputation are larger kind of social pve combatzones so you can see other faction players and fight together. However, again you couldn't specifically party up with another faction, but you could try to work together if you can get into the same instance.

Romulans have their own story bit to go through first before they choose to align themselves with Fed or KDF at which point they essentially merge with those respective factions.

Z3M0G

Got to sink in a solid chunk of time into it last night. (Played a few minutes the night before.)

The animations are rough, but I'm enjoying the fast paced story. Ship combat is indeed quite awesome, and ground combat got much more satisfying and enjoyable once I figured out how to move the camera and place it behind my shoulder at all times, not just when I am locked on to a target. So it feels more like a pseudo-shooter as I play. I'll pull the camera back out if/when I need more awareness of my surroundings.

It feels a bit like I was thrown in sink/swim, but I'm not to worried about learning the mechanics as I go. I missed the help popup about the 4 options you can cycle through while in ship mode... so I have no idea what that does. I see each provides different management / refreshing of different stats or something? I don't know. I figured they must be different "combat modes" you can enter or something... or perhaps different roles you can switch through (tank, support, etc?) on the fly? I'll try to figure that out when needed.

So far, fun game! Feels like I'm playing a Mass-Effect style adventure. I tried this on PC a couple times in the past... I didn't even get this far back then (3rd "story" mission I think).

Z3M0G

I died in a ship battle but just respawned after a few seconds and resumed the fight... was that because I had AI partners?

Got to sink in a solid chunk of time into it last night. (Played a few minutes the night before.)

The animations are rough, but I'm enjoying the fast paced story. Ship combat is indeed quite awesome, and ground combat got much more satisfying and enjoyable once I figured out how to move the camera and place it behind my shoulder at all times, not just when I am locked on to a target. So it feels more like a pseudo-shooter as I play. I'll pull the camera back out if/when I need more awareness of my surroundings.

It feels a bit like I was thrown in sink/swim, but I'm not to worried about learning the mechanics as I go. I missed the help popup about the 4 options you can cycle through while in ship mode... so I have no idea what that does. I see each provides different management / refreshing of different stats or something? I don't know. I figured they must be different "combat modes" you can enter or something... or perhaps different roles you can switch through (tank, support, etc?) on the fly? I'll try to figure that out when needed.

So far, fun game! Feels like I'm playing a Mass-Effect style adventure. I tried this on PC a couple times in the past... I didn't even get this far back then (3rd "story" mission I think).

I missed those 4 options also.
I think it changes where more power is placed. The 1st is higher dmg and the 2nd is more power to Shields.
Not sure about the other 2.

Flipyap

Sector Soace is exactly how No Mans Sky should have been handled.
That doesn't even make sense. "Sector space" only works in a game with no concept of fuel or any kind of resource management.
I generally dislike the idea of flying a tiny model ship around a flat map representing space in a completely different scale. At least it still looked like a map in the PC version, it's just bad on console.

I think it changes where more power is placed. The 1st is higher dmg and the 2nd is more power to Shields.
Weapons, Shields, Engines (speed), Auxiliary(boosts bridge officer abilities and stats related to cloaking)

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I think my favourite thing about this game is having a Klingon tactical officer that feels the urge to run up and jump kick almost every enemy we come across regardless of size or race.

Spiders? Gorn? Dimension hopping bad entities of unknown origin? full body kicks to the face!

You can read about them here.
But in short.
1st is weapons, affects your energy weapon power only, not torpedo's.
2nd is shields, this is regeneration rate and resistance.
3rd is engines, higher power means faster ship that can turn quicker.
4th is auxiliary, a bunch abilities that draw from it, the more power the better they are.

It gets more complicated than that when your really get into it, but as far as I can see on console we can't set custom power for each. On PC you could set how much each setting would give each system letting you fine tune your ship systems for different situations and different character/ship builds.

Simo

Playing on PS4 and am on level 9. Having a blast with this game. Sector Soace is exactly how No Mans Sky should have been handled.

Yeah the game is a lot of fun and for a Trek fan? It's heaven. lol The game gives you a Tier 2 ship pretty early too which was surprising so now I'm rocking out a Constitution 1701/A retrofit that looks perfect.

Watch out for those public events though, they're hard as balls but the insane space battles are worth it as long as there's enough players there to help. The Borg one was crazy and the Gorn incursion wasn't so bad until their last push and something like 20 heavy cruisers descend on you kicking your ass. lol

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is there something I'm missing with Kit abilities?

My Kit Frame is level 6, my Kit Modules are are 5, but my actual kit abilities say they are all level 1 or don't have a number. Am I missing something or are they just not working how I expect them to?

Also, do we have a PS4 Gaf Fleet yet? If not I'd be happy to start one with anyone who would like to.

Fuchsdh

I'd probably enjoy this a lot more if the animation, graphics, and A/V presentation didn't feel like they were developed circa the Gamecube/Xbox era. Even the menu music while I was building my character was atrocious, and they could have been lazy and just played orchestral music from the plethora of incredible scores the franchise has.

Couldn't muster up the desire to finish the tutorial, I might come back to it when I've gotten through other games on my list. Can't argue with free, at least.

Yeah the game is a lot of fun and for a Trek fan? It's heaven. lol The game gives you a Tier 2 ship pretty early too which was surprising so now I'm rocking out a Constitution 1701/A retrofit that looks perfect.

Watch out for those public events though, they're hard as balls but the insane space battles are worth it as long as there's enough players there to help. The Borg one was crazy and the Gorn incursion wasn't so bad until their last push and something like 20 heavy cruisers descend on you kicking your ass. lol
I died once during a Romulan event but for the most part it was exactly what I wanted. Carnage win a great frame rate that held up well.

Is there something I'm missing with Kit abilities?

My Kit Frame is level 6, my Kit Modules are are 5, but my actual kit abilities say they are all level 1 or don't have a number. Am I missing something or are they just not working how I expect them to?

Also, do we have a PS4 Gaf Fleet yet? If not I'd be happy to start one with anyone who would like to.

Yeah I proposed this too. Do you want to get together and form one? Bamelin expressed that he would be interested in joining as well.

kaiiri

Been having a blast with this game. Now that I'm 50+ though I'm actually trying to learn more of the specs and what not as the trek to 50 was pretty simple.

Also been eying some of the T6 ships and googled some top choices for Federation. A lot of people say the Arbiter is one of the best Federation ship yet I don't see, to see it at all when searching in-game. PC only still? Or am I just missing it?

Next on my list is researching actual specs to maximize my current ship and play style (tank mostly with teeth).

So how does it work in terms of ships you get and how much of a ship sim it is? Can I control operations, manage repairs through engineering, assign crew to stations/departments, etc.?

Htown

So how does it work in terms of ships you get and how much of a ship sim it is? Can I control operations, manage repairs through engineering, assign crew to stations/departments, etc.?
Basically you get to pick a free ship each time you get a promotion, and you can buy more ships with dilithium.

You do get to choose your ship weapon loadout, which obviously depends on what kind of ship you have. Your abilites actually come from your class and your bridge officers. Each ship has a different configuration of bridge officer slots. You could have 2 tactical stations, 2 engineering stations and a science station, or 3 science and 1 engineering, etc. For each of these stations you choose a bridge officer based on what active abilities and passive buffs they give your ship. You can also choose an away team for ground missions, which doesn't have to be the same as your bridge crew.

800px-Status_Window_Stations.png

Tellarite_BOff_trait_window.png

You also have duty officers you can assign and send on missions, or equip for passive bonuses. The missions are basically generic starship assignments, like have these officers research this thing, or send these guys to go on a diplomatic mission. If you've ever played Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, it's basically like the assassination contracts you send the NPC assassins on. You tell them to do a mission, it takes a certain amount of real world time to complete, and when it's done you get a reward and can use them for something else. If you want you can go inside your ship and talk to your officers in order to take these assignments, instead of just doing it through the menus, and when I last played there were a few missions you could only get inside your ship. They may have changed that.

762px-Duty_officer_overview.jpg

800px-Duty_officer_roster.jpg

As far as "managing repairs though engineering", all gameplay-relevant repairs happen due to space combat, and are usually just ship "injuries" that give debuffs to your performance. You just cure these with consumable items, though you can assign duty officers to make more of those items.

Not sure if that's enough of a starship sim for you, but there you go.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Good writeup, Htown, but it should be pointed out that if he's planning on playing on console, duty officers aren't a thing there yet. You can get them, but the actual duty officer system isn't in place yet.

Htown

Good writeup, Htown, but it should be pointed out that if he's planning on playing on console, duty officers aren't a thing there yet. You can get them, but the actual duty officer system isn't in place yet.

well that sucks

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
It's a shame they suddenly released this with no warning, with the newer expansions for the PC version and console release it would have been been nice to set up a new OT to bring the game back from being stuck over on the community side, might be a bit more active for everyone then.

Yeah I proposed this too. Do you want to get together and form one? Bamelin expressed that he would be interested in joining as well.

I am managed to subscribe to the OT PC topic and not this one so missed this. Did you or anyone else start a fleet or join one?

If anyone wanted to start a PS4 one together I was thinking of copying our PC brethren and starting a PS4 GAFleet.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I feel like this got rushed out so it'd be out by the 50th anniversary. It's very clearly not done and patches are coming in really slowly (in that there's been only one, and all it's done is fixed one quest). It wasn't even announced for consoles that long ago, and at the time it was slated for "fall". It ended up coming out near the end of summer.

Either way, it definitely needed a couple more months in dev. The state it's in on consoles right now is kinda embarrassing.

Top Bottom