• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Online Available To Download On Xbox One & PSN

Rookhelm

Nice I am definitely downloading this. I wonder if there is any Star Trek Voyager content in this game...

There was a whole Delta Quadrant expansion at some point. Additionally, Tuvok and Neelix (and 7 of 9 [I think?], and Doctor) have been featured as characters. And the Voyager-type ship (Intrepid class?) is one of the ships you can get.

Edit: oh, and species 8472 is a HUGE storyline in this game. In addition to the Borg (also, "transphasic" torpedos from the Voyager finale are a thing)

Solid game for trekkies. I always liked the ship combat, it's no starfleet academy but it does hit the right spots on a lot of areas with combat. The downfall would be away missions and combat but still its serviceable. The story is great.

That actually made me more hype... How are the ground missions... What kinda ground missions? Hows the ground combat?

nOoblet16

Any ideas if the PS4/Bone versions come with graphical upgrades? As I understand the PC version is essentially 2010 MMO graphics.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Oh come on GAF be honest for once and don't hype a dead pig. The game is boring as hell only plus is you get to fly spaceships. I think many will find it fun for 8 hrs than just be bored. Ground combat is atrocious

This is my opinion only

"Be honest for once, by sharing my opinion"

TWill

Neo Member
Great! I used to play this on my PC.

Downloading now, hopefully will be able to play when I change my localisation back to UK.

For those who are wondering if this game is any good, the ground combat is ass but the space combat is really fun. You also get to do captain-type things like pick your bridge officers and give assignments to your crew.

There is a ton of content based on all of the Trek shows. Even Enterprise, which is a prequel, gets a ton of ships in the game.

There was a whole Delta Quadrant expansion at some point. Additionally, Tuvok and Neelix (and 7 of 9 [I think?], and Doctor) have been featured as characters. And the Voyager-type ship (Intrepid class?) is one of the ships you can get.

Edit: oh, and species 8472 is a HUGE storyline in this game. In addition to the Borg (also, "transphasic" torpedos from the Voyager finale are a thing)

Yes!!!! I'm currently rewatching Voyager so this is welcome news.

Jrs3000

That actually made me more hype... How are the ground missions... What kinda ground missions? Hows the ground combat?

Ground missions are decent story wise, it's just the controls, animations, and timer attacks are clunky. It's similar to city of heroes. A controller should make it better than how it is on PC with a mouse.

Is it? in the market for a superhero mmo, last one I played was CoH

It was soo good! It's made by Cryptic, the same developers of City of Heroes.

I haven't played it in quite awhile but I've heard that people aren't too fond of some of the recent changes to the game, I'd say it's definitely worth checking out though.

Probably try out both DC Universe Online and Champions Online and see which one you like the most, the character customization in DCUO is pretty poor in comparison though.

ViciousDS

Banned
Now we need swtor and secret world

Secret world would be amazing, so would guild wars 2.

Both use only 8 buttons and translate so well to a controller

I hope we get more

SWTOR I'm trying to figure out how I would manage all those marauder skills on a controller, it was pretty fast paced. Eh, starting all over wouldn't be that bad.....had awesome stories.

jond76

Banned
And Secret World!

Now we need swtor and secret world

Secret world would be amazing, so would guild wars 2.

Both use only 8 buttons and translate so well to a controller

I hope we get more

SWTOR I'm trying to figure out how I would manage all those marauder skills on a controller, it was pretty fast paced. Eh, starting all over wouldn't be that bad.....had awesome stories.

I would love Secret World. Stopped playing on PC and didn't get to far into it, but enjoyed what I did. How can we make this happen?

Flipyap

Well, I'll be, they've actually managed to make STO's interface look nice for the first time and it seems like it might be more functional than console Neverwinter's awkward UI. I'm impressed.

20M7GQr.png
hmNtPU8.jpg

Karak

I would love Secret World. Stopped playing on PC and didn't get to far into it, but enjoyed what I did. How can we make this happen?

I have worked with the Secret World folks a couple times and I know it was thought about and then with their entire changeup in how they do business I REALLY thought that a console version would be one of the announcements. But no dice yet.

Karak

Well, I'll be, they've actually managed to make STO's interface look nice for the first time and it seems like it might be more functional than console Neverwinter's awkward UI. I'm impressed.

Ya its crazy. I found the new UI to be very functional. Which blew my mind. Any game this old is going to have a LOT of nesting and features brought forward from expansions but they did a fairly good job.

Edit and Doublepost.

Same. Just changed to US store and downloading now.

I'm going through the entire ST universe on Netflix at the moment and loving it so I'm down for this.

Thinking of doing the same. But If you want to buy any content for this in the future, will you be limited to using the US store?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Looking forward to the new Quick Look on Jeff Gerstmann's lifetime subscription account.

Whoa, when did they switch to LCARS?

Karak

How are the stories? Do the missions feel star treky? Are missions canon?

I discuss this in the review.
The stories are good, some are cannon, some are VERY star treky and some even have some excellent cheese. The only ding against them is the game shows its age with a large amount of text or worse, really terribly bored voiceover. Its always been that way though.
The game excells as offering good arcs thats for sure. Some of them are easily equal to any offerings in SWTOR

Liberty4all

Banned
I discuss this in the review.
The stories are good, some are cannon, some are VERY star treky and some even have some excellent cheese. The only ding against them is the game shows its age with a large amount of text or worse, really terribly bored voiceover. Its always been that way though

Thanks. Will definitely download either this week or once back from vacation.

Edit need mod to change title to reflect its available on ps4. I almost skipped this thread

Anyone making a GAF fleet? Would the thread be in the community side?

If not I'd be happy to make one on the PS4 side and help people out getting a hang of things. It'll be fun doing the story missions again as it's been so long I don't remember quite a bit of it.

Liberty4all

Banned
Anyone making a GAF fleet? Would the thread be in the community side?

If not I'd be happy to make one on the PS4 side and help people out getting a hang of things. It'll be fun doing the story missions again as it's been so long I don't remember quite a bit of it.

I might join a ps4 fleet. Won't be back from vacation until the 19th though.

k1t4j

Lets see how this is, just created a Klingon , tactical officer, warrior :)

I hope we can customise and buy/upgrade our ship

Jackpot

Banned
How are the stories? Do the missions feel star treky? Are missions canon?

To the max. I'll give Cryptic their due, they mine the fuck out of canon.

Want to do a mission where Section 31 make you slingshot round a sun to travel back in time to save the original Enterpise from Klingons?

Or use the USS Relativity to recover the Tox Uthat to help the Enterprise-J win the battle of Procyon V?

Fight V'ger? Trade barbs with Q? Find out what happened to the Dominion fleet the Prophets magicked away?

Effect

Took a look and it seems they changed the opening for new characters again. Hard to say how much better it is but at least it's taking time to introduce players to the world of Star Trek a lot more. Though that does seem to drag things out and cause you to wait longer to get control of your ship. Though with them redoing the ground based combat and content sometime ago putting more attention on that isn't exactly a bad thing since you will be doing a lot of that too.

At first thought the lack of Cross Play is really disappointing.

Then thinking all the new players and everyone starting fresh is pretty cool as I never really played the PC edition.

Will download it on PS4.

So, any cool Next Generation nods in this?

Briarios

Are ship names unique per server or can there be multiple of the same one? I didn't notice a check when I entered mine ...

Top Bottom