• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR WARS™: Dark Forces Remaster

French Yes GIF by Groundhog Day

Depends on the price. If it's $30 or whatever the UK equivalent is then absolutely not. The game is ancient and it hasn't been remade.

Just checked and it's £25 on the Switch lol. No chance I'll be paying that price on Steam.

Last edited:
I loved playing this when it came out. Be nice if it was more a reimagining rather than this (System Shock springs to mind). Not sure what the appeal is for this but, *shrug*, I suppose some may like it.

Guilty_AI

I was interested in buying it, but it's apparently priced for 30 dollars at launch. I think it's a bit too much for what they're offering, so I will wait when this will go on sale
On wishlist, waiting for sale. $30 for this is a bit too much. I’m not starving for games.
If you're on PC, you can always get the Original Dark Forces ($7 full price, $2 on sale usually) and install The Force Engine mod. You get almost the same experience aside from the higher-res assets and cutscenes. This version might even be better in some ways too.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Depends on the price. If it's $30 or whatever the UK equivalent is then absolutely not. The game is ancient and it hasn't been remade.

Just checked and it's £25 on the Switch lol. No chance I'll be paying that price on Steam.
Yep, going to wait for a sale till it drops to say $15 or so. $30 is too much for what it is.

King Dazzar

hope the framrate studder isn't that bad on console. I watched the digital foundry vid am a little concerned
Yeah it immediately curbed any enthusiasm I had. The trouble is, motion is a personal thing so some wont notice it and others will. For now, I'm out.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Assaulty

This game has such nostalgic value to me. The entire family would gather around my dad and we'd all backseat game along. Later it was the first fps I'd ever play myself. I'd just load up a level and explore (apart from the "scary" swamp level" and any level with dark troopers on it.

But I just cant justify buying at the 30 euro pricepoint. I am aching to play this and just relive 7 year old me's star wars fantasies.

I do hope the next game on the list is Dark forces 2 tho. Imo the best star wars game to ever release

Last edited:

poodaddy

Now Nightdive, please do Arcanum remake.
Have they ever done something like that? They seem to focus on shooters, I don't know that they've done such a hardcore RPG, I'd be into it though.

Also, give me Darkness 1 Nightdive yesterday please. That would be a me shoving my credit card into the PC moment.

amigastar

Have they ever done something like that? They seem to focus on shooters, I don't know that they've done such a hardcore RPG, I'd be into it though.

Also, give me Darkness 1 Nightdive yesterday please. That would be a me shoving my credit card into the PC moment.
Oh, really? They doing just shooters it seems. Beamdog are the ones responsible for Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. My bad.

poodaddy

Oh, really? They doing just shooters it seems. Beamdog are the ones responsible for Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition. My bad.
Hey no worries, I'm still with ya man lol. I want it too, so hopefully Beamdog or someone picks it up at some pot. Arcanum was and still is a special game that did things with player agency that I don't feel have been eclipsed yet. I also want proper modern remasters or remakes of Fallout 1 and 2 and Vampire as well. I want modern ports that include all the patches and mods that fix em up, and hell why not give em a bit of a tiny new coat of paint, nothing drastic, keep the art style, just touch it up to be a bit spiffier for modern day. All of those would get immediate purchases from me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I finished it very recently with a sourceport that does a mighty fine job in making it playable with modern bells and whistles a la GZDoom but I like the effort they did here with the high res assets and things like bloom lighting making the little random sci fi bits and bobs glow so I will support this.
That's still a perfectly fine way to play it though, if you already own the game (or want it cheaper) and don't care for the new assets (and I believe bloom lighting is on the cards, I recall seeing the option but it wasn't yet active when it first hit version 1.0 a couple years ago, perhaps it's been added).
Nightdive is the reason we got loads more classics on gog (and then Steam), not just FPS games like folks say, they brought Wizardry 8 back as well for example, but many/most of those were before they got the KEX Engine and full remaster goals etc. so they're just (barely) patched for modern OS.

Last edited:
This was one of my childhood's favorites PS1 games and I've been for the remasters' release like the full moon rise.
But still 30€ is a bit too much for a 90's game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Fucking fantastic so far. Runs like a gem and I was shocked to see the haptics used. Controls wonderfully. Whatever kind of auto aim they’re using feels awesome and it’s a blast just mowing stormtroopers down at such a great framerate.

I’m really impressed. What a nostalgia overload this is.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If this goes on sale on the switch I might get this. I also really loved the Star Trek fps games hopefully those get ported to

Nightdive are a great studio

Last edited:

SCB3

I was interested and I do own the Steam version of the Original and the big Box copy, but yea I ain't paying £25 for a what seems to be a minimum remaster, there are plently of mods for the OG that are, well simply better than what Nightdive has done

Sure for consoles this is a great game, but that price is a wait for sale, and thats coming from someone that just bought Pokemon HeartGold for £80 today

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I finished it very recently with a sourceport that does a mighty fine job in making it playable with modern bells and whistles a la GZDoom but I like the effort they did here with the high res assets and things like bloom lighting making the little random sci fi bits and bobs glow so I will support this.
That's still a perfectly fine way to play it though, if you already own the game (or want it cheaper) and don't care for the new assets (and I believe bloom lighting is on the cards, I recall seeing the option but it wasn't yet active when it first hit version 1.0 a couple years ago, perhaps it's been added).
Nightdive is the reason we got loads more classics on gog (and then Steam), not just FPS games like folks say, they brought Wizardry 8 back as well for example, but many/most of those were before they got the KEX Engine and full remaster goals etc. so they're just (barely) patched for modern OS.
Played a bit. the new 2D scenes are weird, I prefer the old more static pixel art on that (but neither is great). The 3D rendered stuff are quite nice though (shame you can't quickly toggle or specify each you want unless I missed that). The higher res sprites and textures are nicer but not a must, still nice pixel art though rather than something like the Tomb Raider remasters' all new high res textures on top of blocky geometry. Bloom looks nice. It does have some minor extra content goodies TFE I believe doesn't.

The Force Engine sourceport had quick saves, this release doesn't so you have to finish missions in one go (but it's pretty short and might be made too easy with them, there's an unfitting lives system normally actually, I think upon dying you respawn with the level itself having kept the progression/switches/whatever and you can find extra lives and stuff, I dunno, it's not really a very hard game for all this to matter).

I'd say cheap classic release + TFE is equal value to this so if the price's too high for you no big reason to go for it tbh, other than to support Nightdive and more such classic releases since not every game is lucky to have sourceports like TFE. Bloom has been added since I played that, I confirmed it.

When they announced it I thought they'd deal with TFE guy and use it + add the new stuff but I guess not, still the result is similar. If you're poor you can go the cheap route and not miss much. If you're not poor support the effort, same if you intend to use TFE but "acquire" the high res/extra content.

Last edited:
$40 CAD is a hard nope from me. I borrowed this game from my friend way back in the day and loved it, will pick it up when it inevitably drops to the $5 to $10 range.

This is what I was talking about in that other thread where the dude said we need to pay more for games, no we don’t. If this was reasonably priced, say $20. I’d likely pick it up right away, but now I’ll just wait for a deep discount.

Guilty_AI

When they announced it I thought they'd deal with TFE guy and use it + add the new stuff but I guess not, still the result is similar.
Apparently the remaster also includes a few prototype levels that never saw the light of day until now, so i suppose thats also a nice bonus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom