• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Single Player Trailer

swbf2q5s1s.jpg

I really hope Battlefront III will let you control the carriers, allowing you to drop AT-ATs like bombs on unsuspecting opponents. Suddenly eight people simultaneously grab the dropship perk and you have a sky full of falling AT-AT's.

Come on DICE, I need this to happen.

prag16

Banned
That was nothing new. I read the article and he is simply regurgitating what the trailers have shown so far. Nothing really stands out gameplay wise, and his highest praise are the graphics.

The rundown of the first three chapters of the campaign from that article (including many details about the gameplay scenarios) is just a regurgitation of what trailers have shown so far? Okay, guy.

Sure, he doesn't rave about it being outrageously awesome. But then, we have a problem in this industry at times where previewers gush uncontrollably where it isn't warranted. But what this article does do, is indicate that the campaign isn't necessarily "just cutscenes" or "multiplayer maps with bots". At least not to the extent the concern trolls here are 'fearing'.

I came to this thread to read everyone's thoughts on the trailer, yet I get an argument saying that this campaign is going to suck because of DICE (even though Motive is developing the campaign) and that it will have recycled multiplayer maps like BF1 (even though BF1 only used 1 multiplayer map in its campaign).

With all the concern on GAF these days about shit being racist/sexist/etc., how do y'all feel about playing for the Empire these days? It's clear that the Empire is at the very least, xenophobic to it's very core. Actively supporting a fascist, xenophobic institutions seems at least as bad as a black fish IMO. And given the current political situation in the U.S., I for one would much rather be playing the rebels.

MilkyJoe

So they insist that there's a SP campaign in SWBF2, eh? Considering that we saw exactly zero gameplay from it and this trailer doesn't show any either and we're about a month from launch I'm about 90% sure at the moment that this "campaign" will be a series of cinematics mixed with bot matches on MP maps.

Pretty sure that's not what I've read from people that have played it.

Alxjn

EA being so shy about showing us anything from the campaign that isnt a cutscene has me thinking it is an after thought.

With all the concern on GAF these days about shit being racist/sexist/etc., how do y'all feel about playing for the Empire these days? It's clear that the Empire is at the very least, xenophobic to it's very core. Actively supporting xenophobic institutions seems at least as bad as a black fish IMO. And given the current political situation in the U.S., I for one would much rather be playing the rebels.

I think it's refreshing actually, I think they already mentioned how it will show how brainwashed the grunts of the empire are, and I'm assuming the main character will at some point realize this

Keasar

Can we quit it with this bullshit?

Somebody posted an article with hands on impressions (which nobody seems to have read... too busy firing out sizzling hot takes).

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...rs-battlefront-ii-single-player-campaign.aspx

EDIT: This is older, but parts of the campaign were also shown behind closed doors at E3. Some info here: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/star-wars-battlefront-2-campaign-impressions,news-25280.html

I don't seriously think that. :p

But they haven't gone painstaking distances to actually show any of it to the public and the release is in a month. You'd think there be as much as a gif at least out there by now.

prag16

Banned
And given the current political situation in the U.S., I for one would much rather be playing the rebels.

You're apparently not alone in this view; others in this thread and others have expressed disgust about playing as "space Nazis". But I personally don't think this view is legitimate. This is fiction, and regardless, it's extremely unlikely that the story is going to somehow validate the Empire and their methods. All signs point to Iden switching sides (or at least abandoning the Empire) at some point during the campaign.

The idea of "oh shit, can't play as any kind of villain associated with an oppressive regime in a video game because Trump" is bullshit.

That doesn't look like Iden to me.

Looks like Leia possibly. Might tie in with that comic where she's on Naboo someone mentioned earlier in the topic.

Star Wars Battlefront II |OT| Campaign not made by DICE

You'd hope something like this wouldn't be necessary, but...

Regardless, I'm sure the super clever OT title will be some kind of play on words involving loot crates. And it will be followed by a huge circlejerk praising the super clever title, with people posting dead.gif, etc.

WillyFive

I came to this thread to read everyone's thoughts on the trailer, yet I get an argument saying that this campaign is going to suck because of DICE (even though Motive is developing the campaign) and that it will have recycled multiplayer maps like BF1 (even though BF1 didn't use multiplayer maps in its campaign).

It’s really curious how the idea of Battlefield 1 having a single player campaign that was bots with multiplayer maps came from. I’m guessing it was Giantbomb’s Gerstmann that started it and it spread because almost no one played it (DICE also says almost no one played the campaigns in Battlefield games). The campaign for Battlefield 1 was so different from the multiplayer it seemed like it was from an entirely different series, even basic stuff like controls, how to defeat enemies, how airplanes worked, and what buttons did was entirely different. A major complaint since BF3 was that you couldn’t play the multiplayer game in single player with bots, meaning unless a certain map or gamemode was in rotation in a server somewhere, you were out of luck of playing that.

This game is made by a different developer, so who knows what it will turn out, but it reminds me of people criticizing Battlefront 1 for being a Battlefield reskin, even though that was the exact opposite of what it was and what most people who played it wished it was. People who never play the games just spread nonsense, and it makes it worse when DICE tries to listen to them and ruin their games.

Toxi

Banned
With all the concern on GAF these days about shit being racist/sexist/etc., how do y'all feel about playing for the Empire these days? It's clear that the Empire is at the very least, xenophobic to it's very core. Actively supporting xenophobic institutions seems at least as bad as a black fish IMO. And given the current political situation in the U.S., I for one would much rather be playing the rebels.
Xenophobia in Star Wars doesn't mean the same thing as xenophobia in real life. Immigrants are not space aliens, and the aliens in Star Wars aren't foreigners in human societies.

But yes, the Empire are bigoted against non-humans. They're also clear analogies of the Nazis. That doesn't mean they can't be interesting protagonists, so long as a work doesn't excuse or glorify their bigotry or fascism.

(This is why I often get uncomfortable reading Warhammer 40,000 fiction; a lot of it presents the Imperium of Man's anti-alien bigotry, totalitarianism, military worship, and religious zealotry as positive traits. More often it just blames beuracracy for all the Imperium's ills)

sjay1994

I came to this thread to read everyone's thoughts on the trailer, yet I get an argument saying that this campaign is going to suck because of DICE (even though Motive is developing the campaign) and that it will have recycled multiplayer maps like BF1 (even though BF1 only used 1 multiplayer map in its campaign).

thisisneogaf.gif

Hagi

I missed the beta and the furore over that but I'm still hesitant about my pre-order considering they have barely shown anything about the campaign. I think the story aspects of what they have shown sound really interesting and I love the idea of Inferno Squad but I need to see what this game actually is.

Least I have the book which I hear is good.

It’s really curious how the idea of Battlefield 1 having a single player campaign that was bots with multiplayer maps came from. I’m guessing it was Giantbomb’s Gerstmann that started it and it spread because almost no one played it (DICE also says almost no one played the campaigns in Battlefield games). The campaign for Battlefield 1 was so different from the multiplayer it seemed like it was from an entirely different series, even basic stuff like controls, how to defeat enemies, how airplanes worked, and what buttons did was entirely different. A major complaint since BF3 was that you couldn’t play the multiplayer game in single player with bots, meaning unless a certain map or gamemode was in rotation in a server somewhere, you were out of luck of playing that.

This game is made by a different developer, so who knows what it will turn out, but it reminds me of people criticizing Battlefront 1 for being a Battlefield reskin, even though that was the exact opposite of what it was and what most people who played it wished it was. People who never play the games just spread nonsense, and it makes it worse when DICE tries to listen to them and ruin their games.
People's concerns are that they don't want the SP to feel like training for MP, which is what the campaign for BF1 felt like compared to other SP shooters.

Honestly, with all this expectations that Versio will betray the Empire, the plot twist for this game pretty much writes itself. Make the player believe she is doing just that and then reveal she was undercover and always loyal to the Empire.

Well, that's what I would do anyway. A predictable story that she just sees how the Empire is evil and turns side would be quite boring and predictable.

I know there's talent attached, but I'm still worried this is going to be the kind of campaign that just tours through modified multiplayer maps strung together by slight narrative reasons to run from A to B to C. That's the impression I get from the trailers, at least; hopefully they're just not doing a great job of selling it.

WillyFive

People's concerns are that they don't want the SP to feel like training for MP, which is what the campaign for BF1 felt like compared to other SP shooters.

It was terrible training, because it played nothing like it. Even the stuff it teaches you about weak points in enemies, stealth, how to fly planes, and how to repair your vehicle faster doesn’t actually work in multiplayer. It was an entirely different videogame.

Honestly, with all this expectations that Versio will betray the Empire, the plot twist for this game pretty much writes itself. Make the player believe she is doing just that and then reveal she was undercover and always loyal to the Empire.

Well, that's what I would do anyway. A predictable story that she just sees how the Empire is evil and turns side would be quite boring and predictable.

True, but this is the story mode for a game where the MP is the real star. Predictable SP campaigns are pretty much a given.

Looks great, after having sunk a bunch of time into a couple of 50+ hour games (Destiny 2, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, and currently on South Park) it'll be refreshing to play a 6-8 hour game that has high production values and doesn't drag on. I loved the BF1, Titanfall 2, and Infinite Warfare SP campaigns last year and looking forward to this.

I really loved the multiplayer beta too, although I really hope they remove that weird chrome aberration stuff, that was garbage.

Gemüsepizza;252505152 said:
And for god's sake, please stop with this "different developer" crap.

LOL, right why would a different developer matter when the chief complaint is "Oh I hope it isn't like previous DICE campaigns"

Your concern is noted

It was terrible training, because it played nothing like it. Even the stuff it teaches you about weak points in enemies, stealth, how to fly planes, and how to repair your vehicle faster doesn’t actually work in multiplayer. It was an entirely different videogame.
It was still training. It needs to incorporate more story and better objectives than capturing points. Half the time I forget I'm playing a campaign until a story cutscene cuz it feels so lifeless. Possibly due to the fact that it was barely narrative driven. This seems like it's gonna fix that, hopefully.

With all the concern on GAF these days about shit being racist/sexist/etc., how do y'all feel about playing for the Empire these days? It's clear that the Empire is at the very least, xenophobic to it's very core. Actively supporting a fascist, xenophobic institutions seems at least as bad as a black fish IMO. And given the current political situation in the U.S., I for one would much rather be playing the rebels.

Video games arent real.

Wasn't BF1's campaign good? I remember when the game came out a lot of people praised it, but now reading this thread it seems it wasn't good at all.

It did something kinda different in that you play as different soldiers at different points of the war. It was a kind of novel idea but the execution was pretty bland IMO. There were some stealth elements added in but the levels were mostly re-purposed MP levels. I remember seeing high praise for it when it was released but playing through it was pretty boring.

I sure see a lot of multiplayer map locations in this. I sure hope they don't do the BF1 route of having so much of the campaign just be on the multiplayer maps again... They're totally going to do that though.

prag16

Banned
Embarrassed to share a hobby with you.

You should indeed be embarrassed. You posted this:

After BF1, it is a legitimate fear that the campaign of this game will be set on the MP maps

Except as people pointed out, this is a nonsense comment. Only one multiplayer map appears in the BF1 campaign. And then I further linked an article talking about some details of the first three chapters of the campaign including areas that explicitly don't take place on multiplayer maps.

And the result is you being embarrassed to share a hobby with me. High quality stuff right here. If you're offended that I implied that you may be a concern troll. Well. If the shoe fits.

EDIT: To be clear, none of this means the campaign is guaranteed to be great/lengthy/substantial. But a lot of the crap in this thread certainly LOOKS like concern trolling, even if not all of it is.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm not so down on the idea that it'll be short.

If Respawn has taught us anything, it's that a single player campaign can be short but kick all kinds of ass at the same time. If the campaign for this is indeed short, hopefully it'll be of quality, gameplay-wise at least.

I have tried to get one of the writers to talk about this specifically.

Obviously, it is sort of a no-go in terms of interviews, but Star Wars is to some extent always reflective of it's political climate. I don't think Battlefront II necessarily shies away from that.

Luckydog

More than happy to pounce through a solid 4-6 hour campaign instead of a padded 10 hour one just to "make it a round number". 1-3 hours would be too short for me, but happy with 4-6 if thats what it ends up being.

Toa TAK

Banned
I have tried to get one of the writers to talk about this specifically.

Obviously, it is sort of a no-go in terms of interviews, but Star Wars is to some extent always reflective of it's political climate. I don't think Battlefront II necessarily shies away from that.

That's a shame. It's in the DNA of Star Wars for sure.

But I guess they don't want that as part of their image, to play on politics.

(Even though the Empire are space Nazis).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If the campaign is closer to BF3 and BF4 length im in.
BF1 was a joke for me...and yes i know BF is an MP focused game, heck they put it there i might as well see their engine at its best.

Maybe I can buy Battlefront 2 finish the SP sample the MP and sell it before the price drops too hectically.

Top Bottom