• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT| Here's Where The Fun Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzan

Ugh... the Pulse Cannon is getting annoying. I had a round on Jundland Wastes where 1 death was from a T-47, 1 death from a blaster and 8 deaths from Pulse Cannons.

Its not like I don't try to keep to cover but when half the enemy team is running around with them you're gonna get popped one way or another. The only consolation is that usually those teams are losing badly but its still an unpleasant slog when you're actually trying to play the objective.

Meanwhile, Cycler Rifle kills on moving targets or point-blank shield popping is satisfying as hell and can at least be said to take some effort and skill.

Clocked my 167th hour of playtime today and nowhere near burnt out. The only games I've played more are probably The Witcher 3 and Battlefront II.
Curious to know everybody else's playtime.

5taquitos

44 hours for me, and while that pales in comparison to some of the numbers posted, it's far more time than I've spent with any other game since Battlefront dropped.

Kovet

im not sure how many i have but im very conflicted about this game. I love it because of the core gameplay and the arcadey gunplay + damage model. Alot of the small scale maps like ice caves, rebel depot, the rebel hangar on hoth, and dune sea exchange are all brilliant. I like alot of the star cards although some are more powerful then others. I feel like the blaster variety is really enjoyable. If i use the shock blaster then i run cover to cover and it genuinely effects my playstyle. If i use the pistols i purposely try and control the lengths of my engagements. if i use the blaster rifles or the t21b/ee3 i can do well if i control the length of engagements as well. Im also a huge fan of the hipfire in the game and it is probably the most satisfying part of the game IMO. Of all the blasters the only ones i dont like to use are the 2 LMG's and the T21(mainly because i feel like the T21b is superior in practically every way), also the dl44 because the other pistols are better imo.

The audio and visuals are also superb and arguably the best in the industry atm (visuals def for a fps game on the new gen consoles while audio is tied with BFBC2 for me)

However i see where others are coming from when they dislike the game for a lack of content and how it strays from the original battlefront's designs. Both are valid criticisms but the core gameplay just keeps me coming back, and there is no real carrot on a stick progression which draws me because ive been lvl 50 for a while and i still play it alot and enjoy it.

/rant

Interfectum

I've played this game so much I have most of the maps perfectly memorized. If you haven't done it yet, on Jakku Walker Assault, as a Rebel, equip the stealth card and your favorite gear. At the beginning of the match run to the left side of the map and run all the way back. Then slowly move forward and pick off Empire from behind. If spotted, run and hide somewhere.

I distracted almost half the team last night with my antics. Funny as hell.

(it's harder to do this as Empire as the game's soft borders don't go back near as far.)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
They really need some kind of team balance. I just played a game of cargo where it was just me against a full team of 6.

However i see where others are coming from when they dislike the game for a lack of content and how it strays from the original battlefront's designs. Both are valid criticisms but the core gameplay just keeps me coming back, and there is no real carrot on a stick progression which draws me because ive been lvl 50 for a while and i still play it alot and enjoy it.

/rant

They never promised that this would be a sequel or anything like the old Battlefront games. So that point is not really something valid.
Secondly, when people scream lack of content they come with the argument that Battlefield 4 has more to offer. No shit sherlock after 2 years of DLC of course the game will have plenty of stuff however when you look at Vanilla BF4 just from the MP perspective, that game launched even with less than Battlefront.
Sure you could player every mode on every map, but lets be honest here not every map played really well for every mode.

They never promised that this would be a sequel or anything like the old Battlefront games. So that point is not really something valid.
Secondly, when people scream lack of content they come with the argument that Battlefield 4 has more to offer. No shit sherlock after 2 years of DLC of course the game will have plenty of stuff however when you look at Vanilla BF4 just from the MP perspective, that game launched even with less than Battlefront.
Sure you could player every mode on every map, but lets be honest here not every map played really well for every mode.
To be fair launching with only 4 large maps was stupid and sucked. The 7 base maps that we'll have after the new Hoth and Endor ones come out by March is what it should have launched with if they could have done it in time.

But they are free maps now so it makes up for it.

5taquitos

To be fair launching with only 4 large maps was stupid and sucked. The 7 base maps that we'll have after the new Hoth and Endor ones come out by March is what it should have launched with if they could have done it in time.

But they are free maps now so it makes up for it.

Yeah, I imagine there would have been less outcry if there were 7 large maps from the get-go, along with 13+ small maps. Hard to argue map content with decent numbers like those, and then the season pass wouldn't seem so harsh.

Edit: Speaking of maps, I've been playing more Supremacy lately after spending most of my large map time in WA. I'm really impressed with how Supremacy points focus on areas of the maps that don't much see action in WA, like the tunnels on the Imp side of Judland.

Kovet

No i think that if they reboot a game then its okay that people expect a similar game to the one that they feel alot of nostalgia towards.

I feel like these people also dislike the lack of a cod leveling system with prestiges and weapon camo's/ attachments. I feel like the amount of maps they shipped are fine because i enjoy all of them except the endor ones, and thats not do to map design but more so visual design.

Xzan

145hrs /played so far. I would've played more but I work full time and will probably have to slow down a bit when Uni starts again in a couple of weeks (part time study ftl...).

There's no boredom in sight despite 90% of my time being played on large modes and WA in particular. I just love whole vibe from the visuals, sound and hip fire gunplay, and without the worst of the Pavlovian unlock bullshit that seems to plague modern shooters. Its finally Star Wars done right and I can't wait for the season pass DLC to drop.

I have no dog in the fight about the old Battlefronts, never played them. They looked like janky as fuck Battlefield clones with a Prequel skin at a time when I was focused on Battlefield and Tribes, so I have no nostalgia clouding my judgement on what the new BF should have been. I appreciate it for what it IS.

Palpable

Got some bad news. Grandfather passed. Gonna have to take a break for a bit. Tried playing and I'm totally off today.

So how well are the weapons balanced now? I haven't played since before the DL-44 was nerfed.

DL-44 fire rate reduced, essentially making the gun useless. It doesn't compete with more rapid firing guns at close range unless you're ungodly accurate with it.

so they're talking about further weapon balancing in the february 29th patch? wonder what it'll be..

The weapons seem balanced enough. DICE will just further piss everyone off with a new balance.

Laputa_94

Nothing like a good stalemate in cargo when its just pandemonium ended up going 42-13 on Tatooine as a imperial just stay close to their base and keeping the pressure on.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So how well are the weapons balanced now? I haven't played since before the DL-44 was nerfed.
Pretty well balanced, pretty much every weapon is being used, which is a good sign. Everything that was nerfed was nerfed to heavy (bow caster, homing shot, dl-44) and never get used though.

I feel like these people also dislike the lack of a cod leveling system with prestiges and weapon camo's/ attachments. I feel like the amount of maps they shipped are fine because i enjoy all of them except the endor ones, and thats not do to map design but more so visual design.

Yup. But i have the feeling they will add something like a prestige system alongside more ranks. Maybe like Hardline did.
To me at least it would be cool to see some proper rank icons instead of what we have now xD

Cat Party

Is there some reason why my game (XB1) does not load? I've only had it since last week's sale. It just shows the splash screen for 5 seconds and kicks back to the dashboard. No matter what I do.

MADGAME

I hope after enough new heroes/villains are implemented, the Heroes vs. Villains mode can be updated or at least have an option for all players to be one without normal troops in the game.

Also, I heard a neat Boba voice snippet for the first time yesterday. I was Fetting up the rebels and Luke happened to come into proximity and Boba said "Your glowstick doesn't scare me".

After 120 hours of playtime, still getting moments of coolness while playing

Ambitious

I haven't played this in weeks. What's the current state of the game? Last time I checked, they nerfed the hell out of several star cards and weapons, but I didn't actually play it after the patch was released.

What are the recommended loadouts nowadays? I used to go with
1) Ion Torpedo + Ion Shot + Homing Shot (Rebels, Vehicle-based modes)
2) Thermal Detonator + Scan Pulse + Scout Pistol (Blast/Cargo etc.)
3) Homing Shot + Scan Pulse + Pulse Cannon (My default loadout)
4) Jump Pack + Scan Pulse + Barrage (Rarely. Barrage sucked.)

Are these still viable?

In terms of weapons, I used T21/T21B on larger maps and E11/EE3 on smaller ones.

I haven't played this in weeks. What's the current state of the game? Last time I checked, they nerfed the hell out of several star cards and weapons, but I didn't actually play it after the patch was released.

Are these still viable?

In terms of weapons, I used T21/T21B on larger maps and E11/EE3 on smaller ones.

Anything homing shot is not viable anymore.

Barrage has been nerfed even harder is respect of cooldown.

The mentioned guns are still great.

5taquitos

Are these still viable?

Homing Shot was heavily nerfed, so you'll likely want to swap that piece of shit out of your loadouts.

Balance is really good now, blasters are varied and all seem to have their defined roles.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'd like the cycler rifle to just be more accurate, i think it's damage output is fine, but considering the flow of most maps and the way the games play out the cycler rifle tends to require a lot of time to line up on moving targets at any decent range because you need to account for drop, and at close range i feel like if you even tap to move in any direction you just cannot hit anything.

I love the cycler rifle just being a huge primer that reduces people down to 1hit KO with anything status. But it's just kinda tricky playing with it because the game doesn't really meaningfully reward you for being a sniper in the back.

Achieved Level 50 in a pretty damn cool way.

Ca8u4E_WAAAjZZH.jpg:large

So...what do now? >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom