• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront |OT2| I am altering the OT. Pray I don't alter it any further.

blakdeth

So I totally suck at online multiplayer, but I want to play a bit of Battlefront. I am especially interested in the paid DLC maps such as Death Star and the Rogue One DLC. Does anyone know if any of the paid DLC is available on skirmish mode? I really appreciate the feedback on this one.

Ozorov

So I totally suck at online multiplayer, but I want to play a bit of Battlefront. I am especially interested in the paid DLC maps such as Death Star and the Rogue One DLC. Does anyone know if any of the paid DLC is available on skirmish mode? I really appreciate the feedback on this one.

I'm pretty sure you can't play skirmish on any of the DLCs

FN-2187

Where you are basically compelled or urged to engage in micro-transactions to remain competitive?

I've been a little concerned about how microtransactions will be integrated in the game ever since they said there will be no season's pass. Also, will loot boxes make an appearance? Companies seem to like to keep all that BS a secret as long as possible.

Ozorov

I've been a little concerned about how microtransactions will be integrated in the game ever since they said there will be no season's pass. Also, will loot boxes make an appearance? Companies seem to like to keep all that BS a secret as long as possible.

"Loot boxes" have already been confirmed.

Watch here

I'm fine with this as long as all maps / heroes are coming for free for everyone.

FN-2187

"Loot boxes" have already been confirmed.

Watch here

I'm fine with this as long as all maps / heroes are coming for free for everyone.

Oh wow, I had no idea this was already known. That's disappointing. I would rather pay an extra $40 for a season's pass and not have all this blind bag garbage littering the game, even if it is just for "cosmetic" items or whatever.

I've never played a game with loot-boxes. Can somebody give me the Cliffs about how they work?
Pay $X for X number of boxes. Or use X number of in game earned currency.

Boxes contain an X number of items.

Items come in X number of rarities.

Each rarity has an X chance of drop, in descending order.

Usually two types of boxes, one cheaper, that contains mostly low tier items and one more expensive that usually has a guarantee of at least one higher rarity item.

Oh wow, I had no idea this was already known. That's disappointing. I would rather pay an extra $40 for a season's pass and not have all this blind bag garbage littering the game, even if it is just for "cosmetic" items or whatever.
Yeah, me too. If they start messing with armor colors that turns the map into a Mardi Gras (e.g Pink Droidekas) I will get pissed. I mean, didn't they take out Helmetless Stormtroopers in BF because the game was losing its Star Wars Identity.
Pay $X for X number of boxes. Or use X number of in game earned currency.

Boxes contain an X number of items.

Items come in X number of rarities.

Each rarity has an X chance of drop, in descending order.

Usually two types of boxes, one cheaper, that contains mostly low tier items and one more expensive that usually has a guarantee of at least one higher rarity item.
Thanks, man.

Betty

Banned
First time playing this year thanks to the free DLC and I only have one complaint.

Why is there no option to explore the maps solo?

Sure you can set up a private match, but you need a friend to also be willing to run around aimlessly with you.

With such well made, detailed maps it's bizarre they don't allow players to act as tourists in them.

First time playing this year thanks to the free DLC and I only have one complaint.

Sure you can set up a private match, but you need a friend to also be willing to run around aimlessly with you.

With such well made, detailed maps it's bizarre they don't allow players to act as tourists in them.

I would have loved the option to do this. The DLC maps in particular are full of details and easter eggs from the movies, it would have been great to be able to wander around and soak it all in with out being killed. Also, it would have been good just to acquaint myself with the maps. Some of them are pretty complex and are easy to get lost in when you are new to them.

That being said, your best bet would be to either play the missions or skirmish matches on easy difficulty. Should make it a bit easier to explore a bit. Though unfortunately this is still only limited to the vanilla maps.

Ozorov

I wonder when we'll get more information about maps, modes, heroes etc in Battlefront 2. The game isn't that far away now. Maybe when the beta drops?

I wonder when we'll get more information about maps, modes, heroes etc in Battlefront 2. The game isn't that far away now. Maybe when the beta drops?

Yeah this is something I have been wondering about. It would be good to see a new gameplay trailer showing off another map and maybe some story campaign gameplay. Because so far we have only really seen snippets of the campaign, the Theed map, and the Straighter Assault gameplay.

If the same people from the first EA Battlefront are working on this, I'm not expecting a good amount of content for this game.
Last time they had to make every asset from scratch. Now they've got an entire era of assets to just reuse. Word is from leakers that there will a comparable amount of GCW content in SWBFII as was in SWBF1 with the DLC along with roughly half that amount for CW and FOW at the start.

Betty

Banned
I would have loved the option to do this. The DLC maps in particular are full of details and easter eggs from the movies, it would have been great to be able to wander around and soak it all in with out being killed. Also, it would have been good just to acquaint myself with the maps. Some of them are pretty complex and are easy to get lost in when you are new to them.

That being said, your best bet would be to either play the missions or skirmish matches on easy difficulty. Should make it a bit easier to explore a bit. Though unfortunately this is still only limited to the vanilla maps.

Really sucks too, just tried the Deathstar map for the first time and it was dazzling.

Last time they had to make every asset from scratch. Now they've got an entire era of assets to just reuse. Word is from leakers that there will a comparable amount of GCW content in SWBFII as was in SWBF1 with the DLC along with roughly half that amount for CW and FOW at the start.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by GCW, CW and FOW?

Really sucks too, just tried the Deathstar map for the first time and it was dazzling.

The DLC has some fantastic maps in terms of design aesthetic. I feel they manage to capture the feeling of the movies a lot better. It seems more like I am actually running around in Star Wars locations, rather than maps with some Star Wars iconography scattered about. That said, I do think some of the original maps succeed, its just that there are too many Sulphur Fields or Tattooine Desert type maps which feel like they could belong to any other game. I mean it feels like they made Outpost Beta, Jundland Wastes and SoroSuub Centroplex, then didn't have the time to create new environment textures etc to make any new style small maps.

FN-2187

My 8-year-old still plays this game every night before bed. He will randomly just spend 5-10 minutes ignoring a battle to explore and look around the map (sorry if he has ever been on your team haha). He has pointed out so many cool touches and details/easter eggs from the movies. The love and attention put into the maps is amazing.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
DLed the free DLC but the game says its not installed but I DLed it?!?

I tried hard reset on the PS4 and still nothing????

You have to purchase them individually through the PS Store.

They'll already be free for you of course.

Neith

Banned
Well I got this for 5 bucks. Figured I would try it out since I preordered the second game. And holy moly shit man let's hope the second game is a lot better than this.

I'm just not feeling it. The gameplay is like pew pew pew and nothing seems to give you any kind of visceral feel like BF1. I don't know if I am way too used to bullet shooters and stuff like that, but the movement and general feel in this is horrifying.

So far it's not absolutely terrible, but this reminds me heavily of some kind of budget game from 8 years ago. There is no way I could main a game like this. I'm having trouble even wanting to boot it back up lol, but I think I will get better as I unlock a few things.

I heard the sequel is going to be a LOT better. Can people confirm this at all? I sure hope this was just the test run. Not quite sure why I preordered this, I guess I just thought hey it will play a lot more like BF1 it should be great and a good change of pace.

I am not really happy about the lack of control options. BF1 smokes this game silly in that department, but I wasn't having too much trouble despite it controlling terribly for precision.

I'll definitely give the maps a run. The one I was one was super simple, and I had no idea what was going on. In fact, in general it just seems completely random in this game. I literally have no idea what I am doing. I picked up intricate details in BF1, and sorted out its massive control options, within a couple hours seemingly. Of course it took a lot of time to get good, but the investment seemed worth it. I don't want to invest time in a game that feels like MAG or something lol.

This game feels like I just jumped back ten years in gameplay. There is no weight to anything. As a new player it seems completely random. I just get killed and it's like okay dead spawn again, but there is no feeling. You die almost instantly half the time, and I'm not even sure where I should be going. The shooting just isn't much fun to me. Maybe it's the lack of deep control options that is putting me off. It will be hard to go back to any shooter that does not have the options that Bf1 does.

I started Bf1 as a noob too, but that game just clicks after some point. I can see how flying might be cool, but I have no idea what I am doing there either. Warhawk this is not. Gonna have to give this some time.

I am pretty bummed out. I was hoping for something more like BF1 when I got this. It's only 5 bucks no big loss. I did hear that the sequel will be more like BF1. I certainly hope so.

This is also a huge complaint of mine. I mean coming into this late I literally have no frackin' clue what the maps are even like. Guess I will have to do a couple missions.

Well I got this for 5 bucks. Figured I would try it out since I preordered the second game. And holy moly shit man let's hope the second game is a lot better than this.

I'm just not feeling it. The gameplay is like pew pew pew and nothing seems to give you any kind of visceral feel like BF1. I don't know if I am way too used to bullet shooters and stuff like that, but the movement and general feel in this is horrifying.

So far it's not absolutely terrible, but this reminds me heavily of some kind of budget game from 8 years ago. There is no way I could main a game like this. I'm having trouble even wanting to boot it back up lol, but I think I will get better as I unlock a few things.

I heard the sequel is going to be a LOT better. Can people confirm this at all? I sure hope this was just the test run. Not quite sure why I preordered this, I guess I just thought hey it will play a lot more like BF1 it should be great and a good change of pace.

I am not really happy about the lack of control options. BF1 smokes this game silly in that department, but I wasn't having too much trouble despite it controlling terribly for precision.

I'll definitely give the maps a run. The one I was one was super simple, and I had no idea what was going on. In fact, in general it just seems completely random in this game. I literally have no idea what I am doing. I picked up intricate details in BF1, and sorted out its massive control options, within a couple hours seemingly. Of course it took a lot of time to get good, but the investment seemed worth it. I don't want to invest time in a game that feels like MAG or something lol.

This game feels like I just jumped back ten years in gameplay. There is no weight to anything. As a new player it seems completely random. I just get killed and it's like okay dead spawn again, but there is no feeling. You die almost instantly half the time, and I'm not even sure where I should be going. The shooting just isn't much fun to me. Maybe it's the lack of deep control options that is putting me off. It will be hard to go back to any shooter that does not have the options that Bf1 does.

I started Bf1 as a noob too, but that game just clicks after some point. I can see how flying might be cool, but I have no idea what I am doing there either. Warhawk this is not. Gonna have to give this some time.

I am pretty bummed out. I was hoping for something more like BF1 when I got this. It's only 5 bucks no big loss. I did hear that the sequel will be more like BF1. I certainly hope so.

This is also a huge complaint of mine. I mean coming into this late I literally have no frackin' clue what the maps are even like. Guess I will have to do a couple missions.

Sorry to hear you don't like the game. I would maybe recommend trying the training missions and skirmishes until you get a feel for the controls. Also, try switching the player view, as you may find it more enjoyable.

The maps themselves can be pretty confusing to navigate when you are not used to them, but you should be able to get a feel from them after a few matches.

In terms of the gunplay, I personally quite like it, but it isn't for everyone. The game is meant to be a bit more arcadey than most shooters. So things like the lack of proper ADS might put people off. However I wouldn't really agree that it has no weight or feels completely random. Obviously it depends which games you compare it to, but I think the gunplay does feel weighty and visceral at times (obviously they are still shooting blasters so its not going to feel like Battlefield 1). It also sounds like you just need to acquaint yourself with the game modes, I mean it is pretty clear since there are floating objectives pointing you to where you need to go.

Ozorov

Its a arcade shooter. Do you play in First or third person?

Neith

Banned
I was playing in first person. I wasn't too fond of the jerky animations in third person.

Can anyone recommend me some things to know about the guns and gadgets? I feel more lost than in BF1 where eventually I just found my weapons.

What should I look forward to as a more aggressive player? What gadgets or grenades should I use?

I see that I can use my partners abilities, which is kind of cool, hut I don't even know what a partner is in this game. Can we revive each other?

As for flying it seems horrible coming from Warhawk as the only other game I played in flight. I hate BF1 flight too, but this actually seemed kind of fun, but I clearly had no idea what I was doing wrong to get killed so much.

I think I need to lock onto people more and shoot them. I guess I need to use that dpad move? I really wish flight was more skill-based than this.

I do however have high hopes for the sequel. I will play a bit more here and there, but I definitely had no plan to play this a lot even if I did like it. I just wanted an intro to the game.

Really happy that the 2 is going to get a juicy Pro patch too, and it seems like they spent a lot more money on the new one. I just hope there are more control options. Sheit, Bf1 too sucked balls before they started adding in everything you needed, and now it's literally the best game out there for control options bar NONE.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I was playing in first person. I wasn't too fond of the jerky animations in third person.
Personally think the game plays best in FPS, even if you get more line of sight on TPS.
Can anyone recommend me some things to know about the guns and gadgets? I feel more lost than in BF1 where eventually I just found my weapons.
Don't bother zooming in at medium to close range--it will not affect your accuracy. Play like an old school shooter.
What should I look forward to as a more aggressive player? What gadgets or grenades should I use?
Get the jetpack, shield ASAP. Along with the vanilla grenade, this loadout will take you far in the bigger modes.
I see that I can use my partners abilities, which is kind of cool, hut I don't even know what a partner is in this game. Can we revive each other?
Nope, but partner spawns can be convenient, unless they're being a total dumbass.
As for flying it seems horrible coming from Warhawk as the only other game I played in flight. I hate BF1 flight too, but this actually seemed kind of fun, but I clearly had no idea what I was doing wrong to get killed so much.
Ships have really crappy lifespans in general, except in modes that are centred around them
I think I need to lock onto people more and shoot them. I guess I need to use that dpad move? I really wish flight was more skill-based than this.
D-pad is for evasion and you basically fly like in most games. And yeah, locking is the name of the game.

"visceral feel"

Top Bottom