• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers]

Odrion

Banned
Origin has NOTHING to do with Battlefront's performance on the PC.

BF4 uses Origin and the PC version routinely beat the PS4 in concurrent and peak player counts.

No, it has everything to do with Battlefront being a "stripped down" PC experience.

lmao at this sentiment that PC gamers have high standards.

Fucking early access THRIVES on Steam. We love stripped down, incomplete games. Our standards are shit.

I don't think anyone can deny that the markets are different though. I think people often look at headlines like these and jump to uninformed conclusions about the state of PC gaming.

No one should be looking at this statistic and saying "lol why do devs even bother with PC look at those low numbers." It's simply a different and more competitive market, and Battlefront is a game tailored for the console audience, on top of arguably being a mediocre game.

I can't disagree. But plenty of PC gamers also own a console.

Beepos

Seems Blops 3 is still having decent legs for PC considering the history. I hope it levels out to a good constant 8-10k players like Blops 2 did by the end.

I really wished they had a server browser for Battlefront as it may of swayed me enough to purchase it. Matchmaking from people outside of the US / Europe can be problematic once the population thins out.

As an Aussie, having server browsing is so important on PC (Blops 3 is getting this eventually I believe). As long as one or two servers are mostly full you only need a good hundred or so people to keep playing in your country.

People are also more likely to play if they see a low ping server they can join with active players. When you hit matchmaking you have no idea who you are playing with, your ping, or how long it will take to find a match.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Seems Blops 3 is still having decent legs for PC considering the history.
I wonder how this thread would have looked like if it was titled Black Ops 3: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers] :p

Nzyme32

Fucking early access THRIVES on Steam. We love stripped down, incomplete games. Our standards are shit.

That's kind of a ridiculous comparison. They have little tondo with each other. Look at the massive variability in the successful nearly access games, all types of genres and game types. Meanwhile it is true that as far as shooters go on PC, there is definitely some form of standard that players look for. That is why there such a massive gap between the top games and everything else, and how those continue to grow while the others rarely do.

SparkTR

Worthless comparison. Early Access games are usually only $15-$25 and they all priorities PC features above all else, even to their detriment. They know the PC audience goes hard for things like server browsers and server hosting, creation kits/modding, perceived game design depth (even if it's just a facade) and community tools. Fuck polish and fuck focus tests, just get those core PC features in. Battlefront is essentially the opposite to that, it's not higher standards it's different standards.

Woah those figures are way lower than I would expect for such a big multiplayer game.

Posting again:

"Anyway, these seem pretty much in line with what I expected. It's not that these are bad numbers on consoles. In fact, they're great. Really, they are. I think the "argh numbers are low" stems from people here having unrealistic, CoD expectations from Battlefront and that was NEVER going to happen. I mean, right now Battlefront has more live streams on PS4 than Destiny. But for context, Battlefront has 400 livestreams on PS4 at the moment. BLOPS3 has TWO THOUSAND.

Guys, these numbers are great for a multiplayer-only game on console, and as Christmas nears they'll get bigger. But come on.....you were expecting 300-400k people playing this on one system? With BLOPS3 and Fallout 4? The problem isnt the game sold poorly. It's obvious from Amazon and evidence from guys like Abdiel and JeffZero that simply isn't the case. Using these numbers as a metric for sales is ridiculous. The problem here is believing this would reach Mount Everest level CoD numbers."

Apples and oranges. The PC platform has always lent itself to developer experimentation, modular development, and end-user mods that can drastically change and add to/improve on the original concept. Just because Steam gave this a label by calling it "Early Access" doesn't mean it's a new thing. Far from it. This isn't an indication of PC gamers having "shit standards" (lol wtf?), it's merely an indication how the PC market has always been a reflection of the platforms open nature. In contrast, the console platform has always been closed.

I'm not jumping into this to argue that one is better than the other...I have multiple consoles and home made Steam machines in my household. I'm just saying that the platforms are very different in certain ways. Both have their strengths and both have their quirks/weaknesses. I'd say it's fairly obvious that selling to the "lowest common denominator" can mean different things in different contexts. A highly polished, AAA game with very little depth and minimal content isn't necessarily going to attract the same audience as an experimental, unpolished game with technical flaws but tons of content. Having "high standards" means different things to different people. Which is why it's good both consoles and gaming PCs exist.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Posting again:

"Anyway, these seem pretty much in line with what I expected. It's not that these are bad numbers on consoles. In fact, they're great. Really, they are. I think the "argh numbers are low" stems from people here having unrealistic, CoD expectations from Battlefront and that was NEVER going to happen. I mean, right now Battlefront has more live streams on PS4 than Destiny. But for context, Battlefront has 400 livestreams on PS4 at the moment. BLOPS3 has TWO THOUSAND.

Guys, these numbers are great for a multiplayer-only game on console, and as Christmas nears they'll get bigger. But come on.....you were expecting 300-400k people playing this on one system? With BLOPS3 and Fallout 4? The problem isnt the game sold poorly. It's obvious from Amazon and evidence from guys like Abdiel and JeffZero that simply isn't the case. Using these numbers as a metric for sales is ridiculous. The problem here is believing this would reach Mount Everest level CoD numbers."

The most sensical post in here.

Abdiel

Something to consider, too.

Not just as you get closer *to* Christmas, but how many of those damn bundles, or copies of this game, are being bought as Christmas presents?

Most of my district's Best Buys don't offer wrapping in store, but I can't tell you how many people we had to tell that already. Keep in mind how many copies of the bundle and game are basically in limbo, waiting to be opened at this point, too. I doubt it'll vastly alter the concurrency that drastically, but it'll have some impact.

The game is still selling well, just like the Battlefield games maintain solid numbers and legs, while not showing massive concurrency.

cripterion

Plenty of early access games with better gameplay than Battlefront, ultimately that's what counts for me. I'll say it again, I wouldn't even play it if it was F2P.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Not just as you get closer *to* Christmas, but how many of those damn bundles, or copies of this game, are being bought as Christmas presents?

Most of my district's Best Buys don't offer wrapping in store, but I can't tell you how many people we had to tell that already. Keep in mind how many copies of the bundle and game are basically in limbo, waiting to be opened at this point, too. I doubt it'll vastly alter the concurrency that drastically, but it'll have some impact.

The game is still selling well, just like the Battlefield games maintain solid numbers and legs, while not showing massive concurrency.

pretty much. not to mention force awakens pre and post hype will give sales some additional legs post-launch compared to your standard front-loaded AAA game. will be interesting to see if EA can hit those projected numbers or even the lower original projection. seems like there is a bit of a backlash from the more "hardcore" audience. but as we know gaf/dedicated gamer communities != all gamers.

The insanely large f2p market with all the whalehunting would be a better counterargument for PC gamers and high standards.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

It partially does. Numbers for BC2->BF3 declined slightly with BF3 being Origin exclusive. Is the hit as major as people make it out to be? No. But it did have an impact.

BF4's fiasco along with CS:GO blowing up certainly hurt the Battlefield PC fanbase though. Origin isn't helping bring in new blood, though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
probably the exact breakdown i'd expect for a mediocre product driven by hype that panders rather than innovates.

Game4life

Banned
I don't think anyone can deny that the markets are different though. I think people often look at headlines like these and jump to uninformed conclusions about the state of PC gaming.

No one should be looking at this statistic and saying "lol why do devs even bother with PC look at those low numbers." It's simply a different and more competitive market, and Battlefront is a game tailored for the console audience, on top of arguably being a mediocre game.

No one in this thread is denying that. People are denying that PC gamers inherently buy things that have more value than console gamers or that PC gamers have some gifted refined taste that console gamers do not.

SegaManAU

Gold Member
I'm playing on Xbox One and I love how quickly I can jump into a game. And there is minimal time between games finishing and starting.

It's great. Unlike Gears of War where you almost spend more time in the lobby than playing!!

Dragon

Banned
Is it fair to say that console gamers are often easily mislead by hype/marketing more than PC gamers? PC gamers make better decisions with their money and are generally more informed than your average console gamer IMO.

Do you have anything to back this up besides your own confirmation bias? Seems like a rather outlandish thing to say without sufficient evidence.

For instance, PC gamers spent tons and tons of real money on cosmetic items in games such as Dota 2 and TF2. Should I then make a leap of logic and say all PC gamers aren't responsible with their money because I disagree with spending money on those items?

dcx4610

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but I honestly think the main reason why Battlefront hasn't done well on PC is Origin.

If Battlefront was on Steam, alongside Origin, I think you'd see those numbers at least 50k higher.

As mentioned, Fallout 4 is doing great and Star Wars SHOULD be something PC players should be into it but I think if your average person doesn't see it on Steam, they aren't going to buy it.

I think most star wars console bundles are christmas gifts. Just by jumping around black Friday and sale sites, many people are looking for these bundles as gifts. If it works out like that, this game will have legs beyond the new year. You gotta figure that sales will be pretty decent through the the movie's release. Everything line up and worked well for disney, EA, and even Sony on this deal.

dewkl

Neo Member

BF4 uses Origin and the PC version routinely beat the PS4 in concurrent and peak player counts.

No, it has everything to do with Battlefront being a "stripped down" PC experience.
Ridiculous to say that Origin has nothing to do with it. Of course availability has something to do with it. You're comparing it with BF4 which has almost yearly releases and much more dedicated player base. Who knows how much more BF4 would have sold if it was on Steam?

Stripped down PC experiences can sell. Most people don't know any better, majority of PC gamers included.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Do we have graphs that highlight the trend since launch for concurrent players? I saw that for Battlefield 4 in the OP, it would be nice to get something similar for Battlefront.

For now, here's how it's doing right now.

As of 14:38, GMT

PC: 17,931 (24h peak: 39,622)

XBOXONE: 26,146 (24h peak: 80,914)

PS4: 80,027 (24h peak: 145,310)

Total: 124,104

It was around 220,000 at 23:30 - 00:30 GMT yesterday.

The other thing I noticed is how the amount of viewers on Twitch is very low compared to other recently-released games, like Black Ops III and Fallout 4. Like, way sub-10,000 viewers yesterday at around 23:30 - 00:30 GMT.

Still, let's see how things go in the next few days.

SparkTR

didn't battlefield 3 have a higher amount of players on PS3 then it did on xbox or PC too?

Typically, but not to this extreme. If I remember right they were all pretty close, with different platform coming out a head during different times of day.

Anyway looking at these numbers the news that it underperformed at Gamestop doesn't come as a surprise.

Theorry

didn't battlefield 3 have a higher amount of players on PS3 then it did on xbox or PC too?

Yes. But that was all about the DLC that came earlier to PS3 everytime.
So more people bought that version even the PS3 wasnt a shooter console by any means.

Arttemis

Posting again:

Considering the cultural phenomenon that is and has been Star Wars for decades, I don't think it's an outlandish expectation. Now, almost a month before the movie's release, the numbers aren't completely reflecting the undoubtedly mega wave of interested fans that will flock toward the game post-release. The craze will surely extend beyond the current demographic of CoD players.

Will it meet or exceed CoD's concurrency numbers? I don't know, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility. I will predict that its numbers will increase faster than CoD this holiday, though.

Momentary

Banned
People on here slapping each other's asses about this yet CS GO dwarfs these numbers by a country mile. PC has way more variety in the multiplayer department. Those players aren't going to jump ship to play an okay multilayer FPS.

Nephtes

Ps4 huge userbase sure its helping, 40m by March 31st is my guess for sales of Ps4 and 10m for this game.

Eh... I imagine all the Xbox One owners played the beta, determined the gameplay is simple and boring in a bad old school way (not an endearing old school way) and went back to CoDBlops 3 or Halo 5 Arena (I know I did...)

orava

Ps4 huge userbase sure its helping, 40m by March 31st is my guess for sales of Ps4 and 10m for this game.

It has more to do with the large console userbases focusing on fewer and newer things at the time. On PC, the amount of people is way larger but it has also spread more evenly to play different games that have been around longer. There is also much more variety and and similar game types to choose from.

Eh... I imagine all the Xbox One owners played the beta, determined the gameplay is simple and boring in a bad old school way (not an endearing old school way) and went back to CoDBlops 3 or Halo 5 Arena (I know I did...)

PS4 users also got to play the beta, so how does this differ?

Nephtes

PS4 users also got to play the beta, so how does this differ?

PS4 gamers aren't thought of as dudebro as Xbox gamers traditionally... And the Xbox has two dudebro shooter options that offer more modern shooter accoutrements than Battlefront does. So of course if you have an Xbox and Battlefront's simplified (boring) gameplay isn't going it for you, you have 2 other options to get your dudebro shooter fix as opposed to just the one dudebro shooter on PS4 at the moment.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do we have graphs that highlight the trend since launch for concurrent players? I saw that for Battlefield 4 in the OP, it would be nice to get something similar for Battlefront.

For now, here's how it's doing right now.

As of 14:38, GMT

It was around 220,000 at 23:30 - 00:30 GMT yesterday.

The other thing I noticed is how the amount of viewers on Twitch is very low compared to other recently-released games, like Black Ops III and Fallout 4. Like, way sub-10,000 viewers yesterday at around 23:30 - 00:30 GMT.

Still, let's see how things go in the next few days.

Well, I mean, we can compare PC concurrency pretty easily.

Here's right now on Steam Stats all the way down to Black Ops 3:

780,303 825,921 Dota 2
471,875 592,093 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
146,938 246,460 Fallout 4
51,016 62,262 Team Fortress 2
37,665 62,647 Football Manager 2016
34,014 35,573 Grand Theft Auto V
29,191 41,660 ARK: Survival Evolved
26,196 30,703 Clicker Heroes
25,328 37,663 Sid Meier's Civilization V
21,175 29,840 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
21,167 33,779 Garry's Mod
21,162 24,036 Warframe
20,354 35,810 Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Here's Battlefront right now on PC:

PC: 19,643 (24h peak: 39,622)

So if we look at the peaks, this is the 7th highest. Battlefront's userbase does seem to fluctuate wildly throughout the day, but I don't think that's shocking given it's 3:30-6:30 PM across Europe's biggest cities right now and 7:30 to 10:30 AM in the US.

PS4 gamers aren't thought of as dudebro as Xbox gamers traditionally... And the Xbox has two dudebro shooter options that offer more modern shooter accoutrements than Battlefront does. So of course if you have an Xbox and Battlefront's simplified (boring) gameplay isn't going it for you, you have 2 other options to get your dudebro shooter fix as opposed to just the one dudebro shooter on PS4 at the moment.

From the console sales numbers, many of those "dudebros" shifted to PS4, and shooters are still top seller on PS4 pretty much. So yea that is not making any sense at all.

It's simply a factor of user base. PS4 has sold a ton more consoles than Xbone, there just is more ppl playing games on PS4, and buying games on PS4.

Theorry

What is this? 2010?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, I mean, we can compare PC concurrency pretty easily.

Here's right now on Steam Stats all the way down to Black Ops 3:

780,303 825,921 Dota 2
471,875 592,093 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
146,938 246,460 Fallout 4
51,016 62,262 Team Fortress 2
37,665 62,647 Football Manager 2016
34,014 35,573 Grand Theft Auto V
29,191 41,660 ARK: Survival Evolved
26,196 30,703 Clicker Heroes
25,328 37,663 Sid Meier's Civilization V
21,175 29,840 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
21,167 33,779 Garry's Mod
21,162 24,036 Warframe
20,354 35,810 Call of Duty: Black Ops III

Here's Battlefront right now on PC:

PC: 19,643 (24h peak: 39,622)

So if we look at the peaks, this is the 7th highest. Battlefront's userbase does seem to fluctuate wildly throughout the day, but I don't think that's shocking given it's 3:30-6:30 PM across Europe's biggest cities right now and 7:30 to 10:30 AM in the US.

So lemme get this straight. BF puts similar concurrent numbers, that we know the over a 2 million seller on the PC FO4, and people say doom and gloom for sales? (and there are still all them nice Xmas gifts and black Friday shoppers, and the movie has not even hit yet) Just like we kept telling people that play times are not the total sales, and that it is in line with other big sellers. It only measures how many are online, and the highest peak of how many at one time. It does not add up each individual unique login for a days total.

People on here slapping each other's asses about this yet CS GO dwarfs these numbers by a country mile. PC has way more variety in the multiplayer department. Those players aren't going to jump ship to play an okay multilayer FPS.

Clearly it's a casual shooter, so comparing it to CS is not useful. Seemingly no one has played the original games, so they default to unrealistic expectations and make ridiculous comparisons. Battlefront was never intended to be anything more than a fun, accessible shooter for Star Wars fans to enjoy.

Nephtes

It's simply a factor of user base. PS4 has sold a ton more consoles than Xbone, there just is more ppl playing games on PS4, and buying games on PS4.

I can only speak from personal experience. Battlefront was going to be a game I was going to buy and play on my PS4. I played the beta and found it boring. I returned my preorder and I went back to Halo 5 on my Xbox... Because dudebro apparently.

Top Bottom