• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront: PS4 is outdoing Xbox and PC combined [in concurrency numbers]

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Tbh Zero on my FL.

Everyone is either playing Fallot, Black Ops 3 or Fifa 16. Many on Destiny aswell and should i say Fifa? i dont want to lol

Only two or three friends at a time seem to be playing Battlefront on mine. Everyone else is on Fallout 4 or Netflix, haha.

I don't know, y'all. I was told my estimates for Battlefront's opening were "dire-low" before but they seem really reasonable in light of this peak angle. I'm not trying to pound my chest. But as a lifelong space opera fan who's charted Star Wars games since he was a kid it just really feels like a lot of people severely overestimate the brand's selling power in the gaming sphere and I think that's going to be reflected with the PAL and NPD estimates going forward.

Hoje0308

Banned
Wow at those numbers, though the split shouldn't be much of a surprise. PS4 is dominating worldwide, while XB1 is still doing well in the territory in which shooters sell the most.

Sonys lackluster first party lineup for the holidays paid off, congrats.

8/10, would consider surfacing for bait again.

BTW, slightly Off-Topic, anyone got numbers on Call of Duty Black Ops3?

I posted PC-stats on the very first page.

What we know:
CoD: Black Ops 3 on PC ~ 42k players a week after release (coming from 63k one day after release)
Black Ops 3 has currently more players than Battlefront on Xbox One, but we have no numbers on that
Black Ops 3 might had over 1mio on PS4 already, but that's just a rumor

Going by these numbers it seems many of you overestimated the Star Wars brand in video games. Fallout and CoD concurrent numbers are higher on single platforms than Battlefront on all platforms. We'll see how much of a bump the movie hype gives it in December I guess.

Isurus

Not surprised that the PS4 player count is the highest

Surprised at how low the total user count is. Thought this would be the #1 or #2 game this month. I realize this is just a snapshot but may be wrong.

Surprised that the PC user count is so low

Surprised that the PS4:XB1 ratio is that much lower than the install base. Assumed people who had both consoles would lean towards the PS4 version like I did. You know what they say about assumptions and all that.

This, especially the third point. Hard to say the marketing is "paying off" given the low number and low ratio relative to the install base ratio. If anything, EA access had an impact is shrinking the ratio.

The low overall numbers are interesting. Lots of people getting this for Christmas maybe instead.

Crackbone

Few weeks ago I was berated by someone here for choosing to play on PS4 over PC.

I chose the PlayStation because I figured the game would have significantly more legs there. Seems I was right.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I actually expected PC higher and the bone lower.
We'll have to see how it looks over 24 hours, but this looks just like the Battlefield Hardline statistics.

DICE multiplayer in general is biggest on PlayStation and then depending on how recent a release is the Xbox One is higher than PC.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Going by these numbers it seems many of you overestimated the Star Wars brand in video games..

Yep. There's going to be a lot of talk of disappointment in November's NPD thread. Before that, there'll be PAL numbers, and people will insist that maybe Star Wars just isn't as big in the UK, "just wait."

The biggest surprise to me continues to be that EA adjusted up to 13 million. Either they know something I don't (quite possible obviously) or they're crazy.

Hoje0308

Banned
Few weeks ago I was berated by someone here for choosing to play on PS4 over PC.

I chose the PlayStation because I figured the game would have significantly more legs there. Seems I was right.

I used to find games in both Killzone 2 and Shadow Fall well after those games had fallen off. You'll still find games with even low player counts, but you'll just notice more names popping up repeatedly. Sometimes that's a good thing though.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
We all know what is really killing the PC numbers, right? If this game was on Steam w/ Steamworks, those numbers would be quadrupled.

Are we jumping the blaster a bit here?

The game has been out 4 days, launched on a Tuesday, in the middle of a non-holiday week.

Check the receipts after this weekend at least - or better yet, over Thanksgiving weekend.

May the force be with you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Game will have bf hardline numbers within 6 months on pc, not surprised one bit and this is why I go ps4 versions with all the big mp games now.

Yeah, I thought I could drop my online subscriptions, but looks like I'm going to keep subbing for Live solely for AAA fps.

Head.spawn

Not bad for Xbone, considering PS4 has like probably more than double the install base and they just launched their own competing flagship FPS recently.

PC though, that's a little weird and maybe their exclusion of steam might've killed a ton of its exposure.

Crono27

Not bad for Xbone, considering PS4 has like probably more than double the install base and they just launched their own competing flagship FPS recently.

PC though, that's a little weird and maybe their exclusion of steam might've killed a ton of its exposure.

I think beta turned a lot of people off on PC version. They probably saw it as another titanfall. So they decided to stick with cs/tf2 and waiting for overwatch

We all know what is really killing the PC numbers, right? If this game was on Steam w/ Steamworks, those numbers would be quadrupled.

Not to mention EA's price gouging

Battlefield 3 + premium = $110

Battlefield 4 + premium = $110

Battlefield Hardline + premium = $110

And now Star Wars with even less content and no singleplayer = $110.

I think people are getting sick of this, especially PC gamers. We've already had BF3 back in 2011 which was pretty next-gen on PC, and BF4 wasn't really an upgrade in comparison.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Are we jumping the blaster a bit here?

It's always possible.

The game has been out 4 days

Launch numbers are always a big deal, though.

launched on a Tuesday

Most games launch on Tuesdays in the US.

in the middle of a non-holiday week.

Indeed.

Check the receipts after this weekend at least - or better yet, over Thanksgiving weekend.

Oh, I'm really hoping these threads get updated. I'd love to keep tabs on these numbers. It'd be really interesting if they do rise substantially. I don't really think they will (and I realize I'm kind of a broken record on that front, sorry) but it'd be fascinating if they did.

May the force be with you.

You too.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yeah we need to see weekend peaks and PAL numbers but we may need to reassess launch predictions on this one.

It's going to nab third place on the NPD. But there's going to be a really large gap between two and three. Sticking to my guns, here. There's no way in heck it charts at the top and second place seems crazier and crazier as we start getting preliminary info.

I would also like to point out that next week is Black Friday, so I bet a ton of people are holding out for one week. Not that it should change the ratio all that much, but I expect Battlefront to be a huge Xmas Gift game.

RoKKeR

Nice, I was hoping this game would have a stats page! Now we can use it to measure other games' activity on the XBO.

No big surprise here...Sony marketed the living hell out of this game m. Plus dat install base.

It's going to nab third place on the NPD. But there's going to be a really large gap between two and three. Sticking to my guns, here. There's no way in heck it charts at the top and second place seems crazier and crazier as we start getting preliminary info.

Agreed 100% on placing. It won't beat COD or FO4 it looks like

Arulan

If it had been $30 however...

"PC gamers are picker" goes out the window when you consider hundreds of thousands play the middling quality 3rd remake of a game with decades old gameplay.

It must be disappointing to realize that "decades old gameplay" is still at the forefront of FPS multiplayer design, while large part of the rest of the industry has declined.

Makoto

Really not getting the season pass for PC now. Those numbers won't hold to sustain more playerbase division via four expansion packs.

timlot

Banned
Total number is only 329,115. Sounds like a bomba. /s

These figures don't really show much of anything. If the PS4 wasn't the best selling sku, it would be surprising considering the marketing deal and being the market leader.

That was my first thought. I still have 9 hours left on my EA Access trial. Should last me through the holidays. Games is fun just a lot of other games to play.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
For all the millions they've spent on marketing and the Star Wars brand these numbers are not all that impressive.

Josh378

I expect the next NPD thread to be most exceleent :p

I love how every game I join is full.

But still this ain't no Halo 2 (200k+ daily in it's prime)...

Boke1879

I would also like to point out that next week is Black Friday, so I bet a ton of people are holding out for one week. Not that it should change the ratio all that much, but I expect Battlefront to be a huge Xmas Gift game.

Seriously. $299 console plus SW and other games. Or they can opt to buy the PS4 bundle.

Top Bottom