• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Episode VIII puts Tatiana Maslany, Gina Rodriguez on casting shortlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake

I like Tatiana but kind of hate the idea of her in a Star Wars movie. It feels like any conceivable lead role in such a movie would play to her weaknesses rather than her strengths.

For the next few years, at any given time we're generally going to have three SW movies to talk about - one in pre-production, one in production, and one in post-production that's coming out soon.

That's pretty cool.

What times we live in we have this Marvel and DC movies all in production for the next five years.

inm8num2

What times we live in we have this Marvel and DC movies all in production for the next five years.

Yea, it's pretty awesome. :)

As for casting, I just look at the Rogue One cast and think, "Holy shit!" Lucasfilm definitely isn't screwing around and is bringing in some really great talent. It's going to be fun seeing these movies one by one.

Snake

Like what?

Obviously I can't say how it will actually be, but I would imagine they would cast her as a character more like Sarah in Orphan Black [slightly generic], rather than characters like Helena or Allison where she truly shines.

Again, it's just a feeling. And it reflects on my doubts about the writers and casting people more than on Tatiana herself.

A quick question are 7, 8, and 9 completely different stories with different characters?
They're all part of a trilogy that is essentially one story, as with the prequel trilogy and old trilogy. It continues 30 years after the end of the original trilogy. Some of the same characters will be in it but the new trilogy will focus on new characters.

Cheebo

Banned
Obviously I can't say how it will actually be, but I would imagine they would cast her as a character more like Sarah in Orphan Black [slightly generic], rather than characters like Helena or Allison where she truly shines.

Again, it's just a feeling. And it reflects on my doubts about the writers and casting people more than on Tatiana herself.
Writers? You do know there is one writer on this film, Rian Johnson right. Who is also directing One whose filmography is pretty fucking stellar and built quite a lot of goodwill and trust.

You may be the first person on the planet to doubt Rian Johnson on this film.

A quick question are 7, 8, and 9 completely different stories with different characters?
Nope. It's one over-arching story with the same main cast. Just like the other two trilogies.

Tatiana Maslany OR Gina Rodriguez?

c7NJRa2.gif

Snake

Why do you doubt Rian Johnson?

I haven't sought out to make any far-reaching claims about how this might turn out, nor did I intend to impugn the reputation of any constituent member of the film's crew! Just vague worries based on gut feeling, nothing more.

It's the same sort of feeling I get when Bryan Cranston is cast in movie roles in the post-Breaking Bad landscape (like the Total Recall and Godzilla remakes, or even Argo): that they're eager to cast a great actor but will fundamentally misunderstand his/her strengths and as a result will get a generic, even stilted outcome. Of course I would be glad to be wrong in this case.

Yeah, his filmography is so good. Brick, Looper, and two of the best Breaking Bad episodes ever.

I think Brothers Bloom is probably a better idea as to what he might be up to with Episode 8, honestly. He can't go anywhere near as bleak/dark with Star Wars as he did with Brick & Looper, but Brothers Bloom still manages to have some legitimate emotion in it while also having a lot of fun and adventure.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But wait, isn't Daisy Ridley the female lead of episode 7? If she's not the female lead of episode 8 then does that mean she dies? Spoilers?

But wait, isn't Daisy Ridley the female lead of episode 7? If she's not the female lead of episode 8 then does that mean she dies? Spoilers?

I hope she's a lesbian with one of these new rumored actresses to piss off the racist bigots, sexist bigots, and the gay hating bigots. The ultimate trio!

anaron

weirdly enough, I've kept imagining how awesome Gina would look as an action hero.

this plus Tatiana? GIMME

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why are they casting a new female lead?
And does this mean that Rey won't be the leading female in Episode VIII?

Impossible to say without having seen episode 7. They're probably either reducing her role or expanding the amount of female leads to two.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
As a fan of the idea of lead roles for women going to women who can actually act I love the fact these are the three finalist. With that said I hope it goes to Maslany just based on her wide acting range

Cheebo

Banned
Guys they are casting this guy called Billy Dee Williams in Empire Strikes Back. Hamill and Ford to have reduced screen time and maybe not be leads?!?!

Daisy Ridley is THE lead of Force Awakens, and without spoiling any details, that is not changing in the next film clearly.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Guys they are casting this guy called Billy Dee Williams in Empire Strikes Back. Hamill and Ford to have reduced screen time and maybe not be leads?!?!

Daisy Ridley is THE lead of Force Awakens, and without spoiling any details, that is not changing in the next film clearly.

It's the wording that's a bit confusing - "The new female lead" suggests that the old one is being replaced. They probably could've worded it a bit better.

I am on the second season of Orphan Black and am loving it. I really wouldn't mind if Tatiana Maslany gets cast in Episode 8. She has a lot of range.

EulaCapra

Regardless of what happens, I think Team Star Wars knows they would be fools to not include Maslany in some way in their expanded universe.

it will probably be olivia cooke tbh. i loved maslany from what i saw of orphan black but for some reason i don't think she will ever pop off in the big time.

she'd be the best of the 3 though if they were casting for han's daughter. cooke is way too vulnerable, and i don't know of rodriguez (though a latina would be awesome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom