• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Tapejara

Anyone picking up Lords of the Sith this week? Thinking I might give it a read before I come back to Tarkin.

Also, I've been on a huge LEGO Star Wars kick recently. I bought the AT-TE set because I'm in love with Clone Wars era tech. The Toys R Us near me still has the Star Destroyer set in stock, but I'm not sure if I can justify dropping more money on LEGO. You guys pick up/build anything cool?

This could have made for a much shorter movie:

'Star%2BWars'%2Bbehind%2Bthe%2Bscenes%2B(20).jpg

Reminds me of

aF98yrq.gif

Love the look on Obi-Wan's face.

Do you have a favorite Star Wars creature? I really love Jabba's pet thing (Salacious Crumb). There is charm in his uglyness.

And recently I've been liking the pig guards a lot more than I used to.

I always liked Tauntauns. My brother had a cool toy one that you could put your action figure into it's guts. So good.

The Sarlacc was always cool too.

Edit. Here is the Tauntaun toy.

17uq697v9sle2jpg.jpg

Rootbeer

Banned
amazon charged me for Ultimate Star Wars! First officially canon-approved SW reference book, gonna be fun to look through.

Zombine

Banned
amazon charged me for Ultimate Star Wars! First officially canon-approved SW reference book, gonna be fun to look through.

The only issue I have is that the moment these things release they are already outdated. This book is going to update at least 5 more times. Lol

Rootbeer

Banned
It's fine... I know there is a bevy of more books including books much like Ultimate Star Wars coming around TFA. That's life with Star Wars :p

I don't currently own any SW reference books, though I used to have a stack of them in the early 2000s. So I'm happy to own a decent one again.

I swear I read somewhere they're already planning an updated version for later this year. Amazon UK have one for a September release date.

I installed the Topps app this morning as well. Added a few of you guys who posted your usernames in here. I have a mighty 6% thus far. My username's WADE2193 for anyone who wants to add me.

Rootbeer

Banned
I posted about the two editions of ultimate star wars. i also brought it up on theforce.net forums but nobody really knew what the deal is with it... if it's a second edition already that seems really crappy of them. Especially when the two books according to amazon have the same page count... which means if they are adding TFA material to the 2nd edition, then they must be removing some material to make room. Crappy all around.

curb

Banned
Force Awakens hype has caused me to finally take the plunge and buy the films on blu-ray. I watched A New Hope on the weekend and it was great. I'm not a home-theatre-phile but my setup is okay and I thought it looked and sounded great. It's been a long time since I've really watched ANH and it's great. There's a thread that was started recently about how the OP thought Return of the Jedi was the best movie of them all which degraded into people just ranking the six films. I put Empire ahead of ANH and I still stand by that but watching it again and really paying attention reminded me of how good the original is. Empire is queued up for Wednesday night and I'll have to try and find some time for Return of the Jedi before I go on vacation in a couple weeks. Money well spent.

Also, darn Card Trader app came up with Force Awakens cards again for a limited time yesterday. I got about 5 TFA cards but not the one I'm missing but I'm sticking to my policy of not spending any actual money on it. Maybe next time...

Cheebo

Banned
I posted about the two editions of ultimate star wars. i also brought it up on theforce.net forums but nobody really knew what the deal is with it... if it's a second edition already that seems really crappy of them. Especially when the two books according to amazon have the same page count... which means if they are adding TFA material to the 2nd edition, then they must be removing some material to make room. Crappy all around.

My guess is it is just a reprint timed with the roll-out of the new movie material. I highly doubt it will have TFA material in it due to it coming out a few months before the film. They are going to be protective of that material. Even the novelization is not out before the movie. Not to mention the same page count.

Also, darn Card Trader app came up with Force Awakens cards again for a limited time yesterday. I got about 5 TFA cards but not the one I'm missing but I'm sticking to my policy of not spending any actual money on it. Maybe next time...

How long do they tend to appear for? Love the look of those cards.

A few errors have surfaced in that Ultimate Star Wars book already. Apparently Jango has a ship called Clone 1 instead of Slave 1 in the new canon. ;)

Do you have a favorite Star Wars creature? I really love Jabba's pet thing (Salacious Crumb). There is charm in his uglyness.

And recently I've been liking the pig guards a lot more than I used to.

I love Salacious Crumb. Every time I see him I get excited and my girlfriend just cannot understand. I think he's great.

Not a fan of the pigs though.

Oh that's neat. I assume it'll be pulling a lot of technical details back into canon. The canon side of Wookiepedia is kind of barren right now.

Darn I missed it. I only got the app yesterday since it was recently released for Android so I havent gotten a chance to get the TFA cards yet.

I did get a pink classic art Han and instantly received a bunch of trade requests. Had to lock him up. Did the same thing for Salacious just because I like him so much, not that anyone is really going to want to trade for that one.

Rootbeer

Banned
My guess is it is just a reprint timed with the roll-out of the new movie material. I highly doubt it will have TFA material in it due to it coming out a few months before the film. They are going to be protective of that material. Even the novelization is not out before the movie. Not to mention the same page count.

I would be inclined to believe that but the description is pretty specific, this is all I have to base it on right now so it's possible it could change between now and Sept:

This is your ultimate guide to the Star Wars universe. Open this ultimate visual feast and explore the iconic characters and story lines from the Star Wars galaxy. Beautifully illustrated, Ultimate Star Wars is packed with information about every single character from Mace Windu to Darth Maul through detailed analyses of their stories throughout the saga. You can explore the Star Wars universe in chronological order to follow the whole story or dive in and out to relive your favourite moments, key battles and iconic characters. A must-have for Star Wars fans, Ultimate Star Wars will enhance your knowledge of the characters and story lines before the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Including characters from the Star Wars movie saga, Star Wars Rebels and the Clone Wars, this is the only guide that explores the entire Star Wars universe in such detail. Includes concept art, wire frame images, props and behind-the-scenes shots of cast and crew from Star Wars: The Force Awakens, plus two beautiful behind-the-scenes prints. (copyright) & T 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

I think the "plus two beautiful behind-the-scenes prints" bit is new... I don't recall that line being in the description when I saw the listing a couple weeks ago.

BONUS: People are showing off some of the new info from the book:

CDklsPbVEAA90Se.jpg:large

HERE is the book if anyone wants to order it. It releases tomorrow.

Rootbeer

Banned
So Bobas Ship isnt the Slave II anymore, too?

Nope it's officially Clone 1, this book is canon.

At what point does it become Slave 1 and for what reason? Guess we'll find out. Maybe it's not the same ship, I don't know if that was implied in the past but I always thought it was the same ship, rebranded?

Rootbeer

Banned
It's possible "Clone 1" is an error... if so that would be pretty tragic, but apparently there are more errors so... hopefully they release errata fairly quickly:

11193238_10203910838203413_2932416016566618621_n.jpg

I mean... if that's not an error then it's one of the most substantial changes I could have imagined.

Rootbeer

Banned
Figures... you think they made a major change to Jango's ship and you start to ponder what it could mean and why they chose to do it that way... only to find out it was an error. Really poor job at editing. Slave I is one of the most well-known ships in the SW galaxy.

Second printings... sigh. My bane.

ghostmind

Should I buy the Anakin Yellow Base Pack? Or is it not worth the credits?

The Anakin pack is one of the biggest rip-offs in the game IMO.

Either do a minimal purchase and spend some credits on Darth Vader packs, or spend 4k to 5k on rebels, Geonosis, Shred, etc as they will potentially give you some inserts to trade while also dropping the occasional yellow.

My favorite is the Death Star pack, but that hasn't been seen for a while.

Tapejara

My copy should be getting here early next week. I'm trying to finish Tarkin before it gets here so I can start it right away.

I actually decided to give Tarkin another chance before LoTS arrives, and I'm really enjoying it. Seeing how the Empire works is pretty damn cool.

ghostmind

Big things going down in the SWCT app today, and a lot of people are pissed.

This morning they announced that the 1,000 credit packs that could be used to collect inserts, from the launch of the app until now, was no longer valid, and that users had to spring for a pack costing 5,000 credits for a 1:35 pack chance at the latest "Galactic Moments" insert ( the 7th in a "marathon" set that rewards users for collecting cards 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, and then an ultra-rare award for collecting cards 1-30). Users are worried that this policy will now apply to all standard inserts, including Thursday's popular "Vintage" card release, which is a very limited-count marathon set with current odd of 1:75 to 1:95 packs.

In what has become unfortunately commonplace in this app, the "Community Manager" did not comment on this "midstream" rules change.

This afternoon, the app managers decided to dump a large number of unreleased "base" cards into expensive 30,000 credit packs (containing 3 cards per pack) and send out a "transmission" to the community, stating that for each Gold card acquired, the user would be awarded with an even rarer Purple card (for that same character) after one week. What happened 15 minutes later (after many users spent thousands upon thousands of credits on these new packs) is that the managers replaced the transmission with a modified one that stated that users had until May 11th to collect the Gold cards, but that they had to collect all of the 124 Gold Cards to get the Purple variants. Of course, many users cried foul, and have accused the managers of a "bait and switch". And once again, the company has failed to communicate to clarify their message and address the concerns.

I don't think this will lead to a mass exodus, but for every incident (and these were not the first) the mood of the community darkens, and the community managers are definitely not helping matters with their silence.

EDIT: Every time I post something SWCT-related, I'm wondering if we shouldn't create separate thread for the app. Let me know what you all think.

Rootbeer

Banned
Topps is terrible. The app and cards are cool. The pure greed in abusing people's innate desire to 'collect them all' and getting people to spend hundreds of dollars to acquire digital cards that are free to look at in the app anyway is one of the most atrocious abuses of the star wars license I have ever seen.

I implore my fellow star wars fans... please do not reward this app with your money, at least not in its current state!

collect what you can with the free credits and be satisfied with that. There's tons of other ways to spend your $$$ on Star Wars stuff.

I remember I actually spent more money than I should have on Farmvilile (*shudder*) because some friends were deeply into it. It ranks among my topmost purchasing regrets as it quickly fell into obscurity and feels like a bunch of wasted time now... don't let apps like this be your version of that

tumblr_nnhu6jTbGK1qedqfdo1_500.jpg

The plot of a thousand fanfiction and the "what if" thoughts of millions of fans in one picture..

It's as if suddenly millions of mouse clicks cried out to launch Photoshop to alter this image countless ways now :p

This morning they announced that the 1,000 credit packs that could be used to collect inserts, from the launch of the app until now, was no longer valid, and that users had to spring for a pack costing 5,000 credits for a 1:35 pack chance at the latest "Galactic Moments" insert ( the 7th in a "marathon" set that rewards users for collecting cards 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, and then an ultra-rare award for collecting cards 1-30). Users are worried that this policy will now apply to all standard inserts, including Thursday's popular "Vintage" card release, which is a very limited-count marathon set with current odd of 1:75 to 1:95 packs.

In what has become unfortunately commonplace in this app, the "Community Manager" did not comment on this "midstream" rules change.

This afternoon, the app managers decided to dump a large number of unreleased "base" cards into expensive 30,000 credit packs (containing 3 cards per pack) and send out a "transmission" to the community, stating that for each Gold card acquired, the user would be awarded with an even rarer Purple card (for that same character) after one week. What happened 15 minutes later (after many users spent thousands upon thousands of credits on these new packs) is that the managers replaced the transmission with a modified one that stated that users had until May 11th to collect the Gold cards, but that they had to collect all of the 124 Gold Cards to get the Purple variants. Of course, many users cried foul, and have accused the managers of a "bait and switch". And once again, the company has failed to communicate to clarify their message and address the concerns.

I don't think this will lead to a mass exodus, but for every incident (and these were not the first) the mood of the community darkens, and the community managers are definitely not helping matters with their silence.

EDIT: Every time I post something SWCT-related, I'm wondering if we shouldn't create separate thread for the app. Let me know what you all think.

I'm glad I don't buy into these sort of things. I haven't given them a dime and have cooled on looking at the app at all. The cards are neat but I would prefer to just collect real cards.

MattyG

Banned
So I was just thinking, what is Leia's last name as of TFA? Is she keeping Organa? Embracing the Skywalker name? If she married Han, maybe it'll be Solo?

It's not dominating the thread so I don't see a problem with discussing it here but feel free to make one if you want to. You might attract more people for trading I suppose but it'll probably get lost at sea in Off Topic. Thanks for the trade by the way! I just got one of those Galactic Moments cards - it's the classic image of Mark Hamill and Lucas from the first day of filming.

TFN have reviewed Lords of the Sith. Sounds a little disappointing unfortunately.

Link's broken (looks like they may have removed the review).

The two people who reviewed it for Making Star Wars were positive about it, so I'm still hopeful.

I've updated the link - not sure why it wasn't working. I'm going to give the book a go anyway at some point.

curb

Banned
I just noticed the Force Awakens cards are available in the Card Trader app. I finally got X-Wing TFA card I was missing. Grand total spent on the app still at a solid $0.

MattyG

Banned
Is the Darth Sidious Master Pack worth the 30k credits? I have exactly 30k right now, and I can either get 1 of those or a bunch of the On The Move packs to get the TFA cards.

Rootbeer

Banned
I just noticed the Force Awakens cards are available in the Card Trader app. I finally got X-Wing TFA card I was missing. Grand total spent on the app still at a solid $0.

Lately those force awakens packs have been going on sale for a little period each day, so that's good for those who need them

there's a lot of negative feedback in the transmissions comments sections now... topps needs to turn this around. they are losing the community support

curb

Banned
Lately those force awakens packs have been going on sale for a little period each day, so that's good for those who need them

there's a lot of negative feedback in the transmissions comments sections now... topps needs to turn this around. they are losing the community support

Seems like it. I'm glad I don't care enough to be bothered. I pop in once or twice a day to see if there are promotions I want and that's about it. Now I care less that I go the Force Awakens card I want.

The whole set needs more Ahsoka Tano cards. I have Ventress cards coming out the wazoo but there's only been one Rebels Ahsoka card ever and it's sold out.

Damn it, I'm excited enough about Star Wars today, I'm going to read/watch everything that's part of the new canon. and in place of the movies, I'm going to read the novelizations. I've seen the main films a million times, but I've never read a novel except the Zahn books way back when, and I've never seen more than a couple odd episodes of TCW and Rebels here and there. This is going to be fun. Maybe I'll finish it all by December, just in time!

Okay, I'm about halfway through the Phantom Menace novelization, and I'm enjoying it. The story is actually a lot easier to follow in this format, and it's pretty well written for a movie novelization.

I have no TFA cards :( I guess I just miss them every day.

Any particular time it happens every day or just random?

Top Bottom