• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay, I'm about halfway through the Phantom Menace novelization, and I'm enjoying it. The story is actually a lot easier to follow in this format, and it's pretty well written for a movie novelization.
I haven't read it but I remember people digging it when the movie came out because it fleshed out a lot of stuff not shown in the film, which for Phantom Menace was really important because of all the new people and places we were introduced to for the first time.

I look forward to the novel of The Force Awakens for the same reasons. I'm glad that the novel comes out the day of the film (ebook, anyway), so I can go see it in theaters (at least once, maybe more that opening weekend) then immediately start digging into the novel to uncover more details
I have no TFA cards :( I guess I just miss them every day.

Any particular time it happens every day or just random?

make sure card trader has notifications enabled and it will tell you. it's usually earlier in the day (USA time)

make sure card trader has notifications enabled and it will tell you. it's usually earlier in the day (USA time)

I noticed them appear for the first time today. Managed to get all The Force Awakens cards apart from the X-Wing one. I'm not sure if I got lucky or if they're very common in those packs.

I have had them enabled the whole time but I think it's only ever sent me one or two notifications. None alerting me to TFA cards.

I noticed them appear for the first time today. Managed to get all The Force Awakens cards apart from the X-Wing one. I'm not sure if I got lucky or if they're very common in those packs.

Today? I've been checking all day every couple hours and have never seen them! And no notification either.

Are you guys on IOS? Im on Android, maybe the offerings are different.

ghostmind

Watched the four "Bad Batch" Clone Wars unfinished episodes on starwars.com tonight, as well as the Clone Wars panels on YouTube.

Man... I wish that show had kept going for another couple seasons.

sphagnum

Banned
Princess Leia #3 came out today. I liked the first two issues better but I'm still feeling this comic more than the regularly titled Star Wars, of which I only really liked issue #4.

Princess Leia #3 came out today. I liked the first two issues better but I'm still feeling this comic more than the regularly titled Star Wars, of which I only really liked issue #4.

Ha, I'm the opposite. Leia's the only one that hasn't really clicked with me so far. Should get #3 today or tomorrow. Vader's definitely my favourite though.

Today? I've been checking all day every couple hours and have never seen them! And no notification either.

Are you guys on IOS? Im on Android, maybe the offerings are different.

I'm on Android. I noticed them when I got home from work yesterday about 5PM GMT. I think the packs were called 'On the Move'. They seemed to be available for 30 mins.

MattyG

Banned
Just got my copy of Lords of the Sith in the mail. I still have about 75 pages left in Tarkin. Once I finish, I have to choose between A New Dawn, Heir to the Jedi, and Lords of Sith. Can't decide which I want to read next.

disney-infinity-3-0-134102.jpg

It looks like Disney Infinity is travelling to a galaxy far, far away for version 3.0 A German retailer listed preorders for Disney Infinity 3.0: Star Wars on PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Wii U, with a German release date of August 20.

The listings include images of the starter pack, seen above, which comes with Anakin Skywalker and Ahsok Tano figures, plus a playset piece. The cover art also shows Darth Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Princess Leia, R2-D2 and C-3PO.

The starter packs are priced at €69.99 on Xbox One and PS4 and €59.99 for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U. Disney has not yet officially confirmed the release.

ComicBook.com has reached out to Disney Interactive for comment. They responded, saying, "Disney has no comment on Disney Infinity 3.0 at this time."

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll always be tempted by star wars... especially when it involves toys or games... this has both.

my full intention is to not buy it cause I don't like the Disney Infinity series as a game.

But... I'd love for this to convince me.

Tapejara

Well, looks like this is the year I pick up Disney Infinity. Give me some Clone trooper figures and I'll pre-order in a heartbeat.

I still think it's a shame we won't see Star Wars figures in LEGO Dimensions, that's the first toys to life game I've actually been interested in.

They tried to get me with the Disney characters. They then tried to get me with the Marvel characters. Now they're pulling out the big guns. I'm not sure if I'll bite though. My son enjoys the Lego games better than the free Infinity 2.0 game trails I downloaded for him.

But having said that, I could definitely bite if I found them on sale.

Tapejara

Finished the Tarkin book. I've got to say, I really didn't like it at first, but as soon as Vader was introduced my interest sky rocketed. Still not as well written as Darth Plagueis, but an enjoyable read that gives further insight into Tarkin, his relationship with Vader and Palaptine, and the inner workings of the Empire. Recommended.

Lords of the Sith is up next.

curb

Banned
Finished the Tarkin book. I've got to say, I really didn't like it at first, but as soon as Vader was introduced my interest sky rocketed. Still not as well written as Darth Plagueis, but an enjoyable read that gives further insight into Tarkin, his relationship with Vader and Palaptine, and the inner workings of the Empire. Recommended.

Lords of the Sith is up next.

I thought I heard something about that book where Tarkin thinks Vader has an issue with him because of
his treatment of Ahsoka while she was on trial.
Is that in the book?

Tapejara

I thought I heard something about that book where Tarkin thinks Vader has an issue with him because of
his treatment of Ahsoka while she was on trial.
Is that in the book?

Yes,
but it's only mentioned briefly.

It's interesting that they should be leading infinity with clone wars characters given that one of disneys first acts as custodians of the star wars license was to flatten the clone wars show.

munchie64

Are there any umm... summaries of all these books out there? I know it's cheating, but I just can't make it through a novel anymore and would like to know at least some broad details.
I am at least reading through some of the comics.

It's interesting that they should be leading infinity with clone wars characters given that one of disneys first acts as custodians of the star wars license was to flatten the clone wars show.

It was nothing to do with the fact they don't like the prequel era as a lot of people seem to believe. They considered it to be too expensive for an animated show - it was essentially one of Lucas' passion projects. Rebels was a far cheaper alternative.

I suppose it makes sense they'd take advantage of the popularity that the Clone Wars had achieved.

It was nothing to do with the fact they don't like the prequel era as a lot of people seem to believe. They considered it to be too expensive for an animated show - it was essentially one of Lucas' passion projects. Rebels was a far cheaper alternative.

I suppose it makes sense they'd take advantage of the popularity that the Clone Wars had achieved.

I always just assumed it was the quickest way to say tatty-bye to any contracts that LFL had with WB/cartoon network attached to the show.

Its clever regardless, they've got an appealing pair of guys for the starter but left a *lot* of stuff for must have playset packs.

Cheebo

Banned

Canceling the clone wars was mostly due to cost (it was a money loser due to the massive episode to episode budgets, Lucas himself funded out out of his own pocket).

Disney is clearly VERY happy with prequel era characters and the like. Ahsoka is a big element of Rebels, and they have prequel era merchandise all over Disney Stores, Disney World, etc.

Meowster

I remember reading all of the Star Wars novelizations and, aside from Attack of the Clones, preferred The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith (especially this one). Ugh. There is SUCH a good and tragic story within these movies. It's sad. I'll still have an attachment to them cause I grew up with them, but, lol.

Rootbeer

Banned
I knew that "worst flu in my life" was BS. Good riddance to Trank.

I'm kinda bummed... FF looks like it actually has a shot at being good. And if is then this will be a blow.

At the same time I'm kinda getting tired of these filmmakers signing onto do these high-profile adaptations/sequels and dropping out. They should start adding more protective clauses to their contracts or something.

Starting to feel like these people sign on just so it boosts their rep. Now Trank is the guy who worked for a year on a Star Wars film and didn't even film it... yet it could open a lot of doors for him just for having been involved.

Dropping out in the early stages is one thing... but when you've already been involved for months upon months? Isn't that enough time to know if it's working for you or not.

Cheebo

Banned
At the same time I'm kinda getting tired of these filmmakers signing onto do these high-profile adaptations/sequels and dropping out. They should start adding more protective clauses to their contracts or something.

You do realize he didn't really drop out right? That was just PR spin to let him save face. All reports after the fact state he was forced to drop out. This was 100% Disney/Lucasfilm's decision. Simon Kinberg was unwilling to work with him again after Trank was a complete mess on the set of F4.

It seemed inevitable in the end, especially after his no-show at Celebration. I really liked Chronicle and F4 doesn't look too bad. If he's a pain to work with it's probably for the best though.

Also, it seems that Steve Yedlin's been confirmed as cinematographer for Episode VIII. Unsurprising seeing he's worked with Rian Johnson on all his previous films.

May the 4th on Monday. I have a feeling we're going to get the teaser poster people thought we might get at Celebration.

It seemed inevitable in the end, especially after his no-show at Celebration. I really liked Chronicle and F4 doesn't look too bad. If he's a pain to work with it's probably for the best though.

Also, it seems that Steve Yedlin's been confirmed as cinematographer for Episode VIII. Unsurprising seeing he's worked with Rian Johnson on all his previous films.

May the 4th on Monday. I have a feeling we're going to get the teaser poster people thought we might get at Celebration.

The teaser poster is already in theaters. Showing it Monday would be nothing since it's hanging in most theaters already.

Isn't that just the logo on a black background? I thought the rumours were about another one.

There will be another poster in the fall when the full theatrical trailer is released. This is just a teaser poster that went out to theaters along with the teaser trailer. Most theaters put it up this week and some are selling it on eBay.

Rootbeer

Banned
God no I'm not seeing a post converted film in 3D... including Episode VII itself. Too many bad experiences. Feels wrong that they would attach it only to 3D given the otherwise retro approach to creating TFA. 2D in 4K or IMAX 2D if they make that available are all I'll consider for Star Wars this year. If future films end up being conceived for 3D then I'll reassess the choice at that time.

Cheebo

Banned
God no I'm not seeing a post converted film in 3D... including Episode VII itself. Too many bad experiences. Feels wrong that they would attach it only to 3D given the otherwise retro approach to creating TFA. 2D in 4K or IMAX 2D if they make that available are all I'll consider for Star Wars this year. If future films end up being conceived for 3D then I'll reassess the choice at that time.
Force Awakens is being released in IMAX 3D, only way to see it in 2D will be non-imax screens.

ghostmind

I saw the 3D trailer yesterday and thought it looked really good, especially in the X-Wings and Millennium Falcon scenes.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sabine card available in the Card Trader app now. Got lucky and pulled it on the 4th pack.

Finally starting to get a buffer of credits... skipping a lot of the inserts and only focusing on 2 or so different themes works best. Sadly the vintage ones always pop up when I'm sleeping...

About 95% of 3D movies now are post-converted since the technique has gotten so good now. Cheaper and easier to post convert vs using more expensive and clunkier 3D cameras.

I knew that "worst flu in my life" was BS. Good riddance to Trank.

Was that his excuse for missing Celebration? Poor.

I don't know enough about him as a director but I didn't really like Chronicle and Fantastic Four doesn't interest me at all. I wonder who else they'll get then.

I'm set for May 4th. Gonna play some Jedi Knight II, and maybe some Battlefront. That's all I will have time for since I have a long work day that day. I'll have my Finn drawing done Monday too.

Tizoc

So what's the best version of the OG trilogy to watch?
As I understand it, they were re-released multiple times each with various edits.

So what's the best version of the OG trilogy to watch?
As I understand it, they were re-released multiple times each with various edits.

Well, there's the bluray, but they have all the changes. If you don't give a damn, you can watch that.

The best in my opinion is the Harmy versions. They're great and make the OG as good as it can be until we get an official release (if we ever do).

Setting aside fan rage, I think some of the special edition changes really make the films less good, even if slightly. It's certainly not exactly the same experience.

Tizoc

Well, there's the bluray, but they have all the changes. If you don't give a damn, you can watch that.

The best in my opinion is the Harmy versions. They're great and make the OG as good as it can be until we get an official release (if we ever do).

Setting aside fan rage, I think some of the special edition changes really make the films less good, even if slightly. It's certainly not exactly the same experience.

Thanks mate.

Top Bottom