• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Tapejara

Cousin wanted to rewatch 5 and 6 today, so he came over and we went through them. Still such amazing films - I think the last time I saw them was 2011 - and Return of the Jedi in particular has some amazing shots. We were watching the DVD versions as neither of us own the Blu-rays yet, and this time I was paying attention for the changes in the newer releases. Disappointed about RotJ, as that's my favourite film in the series; but some of the additioms just looked out of place and/or broke up the pacing.

GamerSoul

Also, when it comes to 4 and 5, watch whatever version you want and youll do okay. Fans go back and forth about the versions but overall it wont change a non-fan's opinion very much.

Except I think if you later decide to watch ep6 it would be worth your time to seek out the 'Harmy's Despecialized' edition. That one had the most significant changes and usually not for the better.

My girlfriend came late to the Star Wars party too and decided that ep6 was her favorite only after seeing the original Harmy's verison.

I was able to finish up 4 late last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a really solid and ambitious movie.

The pacing was just right, imo. I was actually impressed they were able to introduce so much of the story arc into the given time frame. It all flowed well and it definitely delivered on the suspense. And through countless parodies, I always thought the Empire was kind of all talk but I was surprised, shocked even, at what they were really capable of. haha.

Most of the characters had memorable personalities and charm in their own way, which made the movie more enjoyable and humorous to watch. It was also a nice treat to finally see where all those famous lines happened throughout the movie! And I'll admit those the laser shoot outs were pretty funny but it was still entertaining in a vintage way. Overall, I think Ep 4 still holds up well and it was a nice change of pace from the action movies I watch from time to time.The movie felt like it was laying the foundation for something greater all through out and it left me wanting some more lol. When I have time will surely give 5 a watch. And I'll look for certain versions like you mentioned if they do make a difference.

Oh and the soundtrack is simply amazing.

Finished watching season 1 of Rebels yesterday. I enjoyed it. (Spoilers)
I hope that's not the last we see of the Inquisitor. I wish he lasted longer than one season. Though with Vader now involved that might be it for him.

sphagnum

Banned
Finished watching season 1 of Rebels yesterday. I enjoyed it. (Spoilers)
I hope that's not the last we see of the Inquisitor. I wish he lasted longer than one season. Though with Vader now involved that might be it for him.
He's dead. Filoni confirmed it. Originally Kanan was going to help the Inquisitor up but Filoni decided that they needed to show that the Inquisitor was doomed anyway because Vader would have killed him for his failure. There are two new Inquisitors shown in the season 2 trailer.

Rootbeer

Banned
New Star Wars cereal announced!

They claim it is a permanent addition to their cereal lineup. It will become available in June and they will be changing the box designs and marshmallows over time to add The Force Awakens and other variations.

Just like old times!

s6LTbpz.png

Aiii

So not worth it
New Star Wars cereal announced!

They claim it is a permanent addition to their cereal lineup. It will become available in June and they will be changing the marshmallows over time to add The Force Awakens themed ones.

Just like old times!

s6LTbpz.png

Lightsabers, Yoda, R2D2 and a Stormtrooper, I can see those, but what on Earth is the red cereal in the middle supposed to be?

Rootbeer

Banned
Obi-Wan's ship from Episode II?

Jedi_Starfighter_EpII.png

*edit* I was right! A video review I found shows the side of the box... and it is indeed a Jedi Starfighter

I was able to finish up 4 late last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It was a really solid and ambitious movie.

The pacing was just right, imo. I was actually impressed they were able to introduce so much of the story arc into the given time frame. It all flowed well and it definitely delivered on the suspense. And through countless parodies, I always thought the Empire was kind of all talk but I was surprised, shocked even, at what they were really capable of. haha.

Most of the characters had memorable personalities and charm in their own way, which made the movie more enjoyable and humorous to watch. It was also a nice treat to finally see where all those famous lines happened throughout the movie! And I'll admit those the laser shoot outs were pretty funny but it was still entertaining in a vintage way. Overall, I think Ep 4 still holds up well and it was a nice change of pace from the action movies I watch from time to time.The movie felt like it was laying the foundation for something greater all through out and it left me wanting some more lol. When I have time will surely give 5 a watch. And I'll look for certain versions like you mentioned if they do make a difference.

Oh and the soundtrack is simply amazing.

Cool good to hear! Yes, some people even claim that the score is the best part of the franchise.

sphagnum

Banned
Kanan #2 is out today. It's pretty good but
it seems to imply that a few days passed between Order 66 and Obi-Wan and Yoda turning off the homing beacon at the Jedi Temple, whereas I always got the sense from the movie that it was the day after. Did Palpatine really wait that long to declare the Empire?

Kanan #2 is out today. It's pretty good but
it seems to imply that a few days passed between Order 66 and Obi-Wan and Yoda turning off the homing beacon at the Jedi Temple, whereas I always got the sense from the movie that it was the day after. Did Palpatine really wait that long to declare the Empire?

I've always assumed it was a shorter amount of time than that as well. Looking forward to reading my copy of #2 on Friday.

sphagnum

Banned
Also look likes a reddit user is translating Story Before The Force Awakens, the canon Korean webcomic that retells the OT with some additional scenes. I hope these get officially translated one day since it would be bizarre not to have a piece of the canon in English...

Two chapters translated so far it looks like. Four have been released in Korean so far. Here's the translated ones:

http://imgur.com/gallery/xr6zD/
http://imgur.com/a/i6mm3

curb

Banned
My Clone Wars season 1-5 set arrived in the mail yesterday. That show, particularly the later seasons, looks incredible on blu-ray.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm sure it looks great. I'll pick it up someday. Would love them to do a S1-6 bundle (maybe include some of the starwars.com content for the unfinished episodes?)

For now, I think the Netflix versions suit my needs.

curb

Banned
I'm sure it looks great. I'll pick it up someday. Would love them to do a S1-6 bundle (maybe include some of the starwars.com content for the unfinished episodes?)

That would be great (but now too late for me). I want to get season 6 as well but it's still priced pretty high. .

Yeah, the Blu-Ray picture quality's fantastic. It was a good looking show when it started but by Season 5 it looked even better. They still haven't released Season 6 in the UK so I've been thinking of importing a copy from Germany.

Cheebo

Banned

Season 6 has the first 4 unfinished episodes from StarWars.com.

Disney released the S6 bluray while WB did Seasons 1-5.

I'm kinda bummed the Netflix version aren't HD, but the quality is still pretty good. I'm just starting season 4 of my rewatch and with a few losers here in there the show is really fantastic.

Rootbeer

Banned
Season 6 has the first 4 unfinished episodes from StarWars.com.

Disney released the S6 bluray while WB did Seasons 1-5.
If they ever release a full series bundle they should include the Bad Batch and stuff of that nature. That would make it about as complete as possible and would be nice to have.

I'm kinda bummed the Netflix version aren't HD, but the quality is still pretty good. I'm just starting season 4 of my rewatch and with a few losers here in there the show is really fantastic.
The streaming versions are in HD... in fact I think they are even in 4K if you have a device capable of showing that.

Rootbeer

Banned
It is most definitely in HD and I watch most of the time on PC or MAC so it's not that. Maybe your provider is throttling. I'd make sure you are watching it in a setup that supports the new HTML5 video features of netflix, maybe it's a silverlight issue which is the legacy way of streaming netflix on computers.

It is most definitely in HD and I watch most of the time on PC or MAC so it's not that. Maybe your provider is throttling. I'd make sure you are watching it in a setup that supports the new HTML5 video features of netflix, maybe it's a silverlight issue which is the legacy way of streaming netflix on computers.

I get HD on the PC on everything else from Netflix... And normally Netflix will tell me that a program is in HD in the pop-up bar. CW never had that though. Also, I have a business dedicated line (not shared), so it's not a throttling issue.

Grumble.

sphagnum

Banned
I feel like there's a missed in opportunity in Story Before The Force Awakens with Biggs. The Skyhopper chapter is nice but they could have incorporated Biggs' cut scene from ANH at Anchorhead to canonize it.

Rootbeer

Banned
I get HD on the PC on everything else from Netflix... And normally Netflix will tell me that a program is in HD in the pop-up bar. CW never had that though. Also, I have a business dedicated line (not shared), so it's not a throttling issue.

Grumble.

when you start the video, press Control + Shift + Option/Alt + S and you can force various video settings, or reset them. maybe that can help.

http://www.rewatchable.com/manually-force-hd-playback-on-netflix-watch-instantly/

It's possible netflix took down the HD versions for some reason... hopefully temporarily. I notice the bitrate options do not go as high as Daredevil (3000)

Tizoc

So in A new hope, why does Vader think so little of the Death Star?
...also what's with using a DRIOD to inject truth serum into Leia, why not do it yourself lol.

Oh and that reminds me, originally Leia and Luke weren't intended to be siblings right? In one of the VHS of SW, I recall Luke referring to Leia as 'the pretty lady' when R2 replays her message.

Where the heck did Luke get that cable they used to get past the big gap while escaping from the Death Star?

...and wait, did they let a total newcomer fly an X-Wing? No prior training or anything, just put him in the ship and let him go attack the Death Star?

Overall I don't like A new hope all that much. Leia was a great character overall though.

...also what's with using a DRIOD to inject truth serum into Leia, why not do it yourself lol.

Where the heck did Luke get that cable they used to get past the big gap while escaping from the Death Star?

...and wait, did they let a total newcomer fly an X-Wing? No prior training or anything, just put him in the ship and let him go attack the Death Star?

Artistic license/who cares :p

kind of sound like cinemasins complaints.

Empire is better, but I think Star Wars is a close second.

So in A new hope, why does Vader think so little of the Death Star?

Oh and that reminds me, originally Leia and Luke weren't intended to be siblings right? In one of the VHS of SW, I recall Luke referring to Leia as 'the pretty lady' when R2 replays her message.

Overall I don't like A new hope all that much. Leia was a great character overall though.

Vader is a religious man who downplays physical power in favor of a spiritual power. It's much in the same way monks and religious people today put more focus on spiritual wealth than on belongings.

Why use a dryer when you can just use a clothesline? Why use powertools when you could just use your muscles? Why have a smartphone when you could just have a flipphone? The droid probably had a variety of uses.

Correct, they were not planned to be siblings from the start.

The grapple cable was probably on the Stormtrooper's utility belt.

Yes they did. Rebel commander dont give a fuck.

Artistic license/who cares :p

kind of sound like cinemasins complaints.

Empire is better, but I think Star Wars is a close second.

I can't stand those cinemasins videos.

My 4 year old son was watching Empire again yesterday. I'm so proud of him. He hasn't seen Jedi or the prequels yet. I'm still trying to decide if I take him to TFA in December though. He'll be 5 the week of the release.

Did you know you can still buy laserdiscs on Amazon?

I just found out firsthand.

Was bullshitting on Full of Sith awhile ago, and we were talking about how the 97 Special Editions are almost rarer than the Original Versions are at this point. There's MILLIONS of DVD versions, and the blu-rays are all over the place (and on digital now, too) and thanks to Despecialized, as well as that limited edition DVD release, the Originals are available somewhat easily.

But the 97 special editions ONLY exist on VHS and Laserdisc. They're the only version of Star Wars that never made it into the 2000s.

So I was like "Fuck it. I'm gonna get 'em. Why not."

looked on ebay, because they're LASERDISCS, right? And people are slangin' em at, on average, 80-120 bucks. Which is like 3 times as much as I'm looking to spend on this particular lark.

So I look at Amazon, and they're having that May the 4th sale, so I just type the word "laserdiscs" into the bar - and they pop up. SEALED. Prime shipping. For 40.

Weird as hell.

Was bullshitting on Full of Sith awhile ago, and we were talking about how the 97 Special Editions are almost rarer than the Original Versions are at this point. There's MILLIONS of DVD versions, and the blu-rays are all over the place (and on digital now, too) and thanks to Despecialized, as well as that limited edition DVD release, the Originals are available somewhat easily.

But the 97 special editions ONLY exist on VHS and Laserdisc. They're the only version of Star Wars that never made it into the 2000s.

looked on ebay, because they're LASERDISCS, right? And people are slangin' em at, on average, 80-120 bucks. Which is like 3 times as much as I'm looking to spend on this particular lark.

So I look at Amazon, and they're having that May the 4th sale, so I just type the word "laserdiscs" into the bar - and they pop up. SEALED. Prime shipping. For 40.

Weird as hell.

Haha that's neat. I've never owned a lserdisc, I went straight from VHS to DVD. I'd find it fun to check out the first special editions again but I'm not about to spend all that money to do it, I'd have to get a player too.

Weird as hell.

Are you sure you didn't grab the last one, because I just looked them up and the cheapest I could find them for new on Amazon was $97 from a 3rd party seller.

Haha that's neat. I've never owned a lserdisc, I went straight from VHS to DVD. I'd find it fun to check out the first special editions again but I'm not about to spend all that money to do it, I'd have to get a player too.

Yeah, I inherited a Laserdisc player (always wanted one through the 90s, never could have ever afforded one) when I met my wife, and ended up checking out the LP section at a few goodwills, where they always stick a bunch of Laserdiscs because people stocking 'em don't notice that they're not records. Built up a decent collection at a couple bucks a piece that way, stuff that wasn't available (or cuts that werent available) on DVD or blu-ray at the time.

You can get it to look pretty close to DVD quality if you tweak it right. But that's about as good as it gets, visually.

No shit! Maybe I did.

edit: looks like they got a 3rd party seller offering the Definitive Edition laserdiscs for 70 bucks. (no lie, found those at Goodwill a couple years ago for 25, I think. That and the E.T. collector's edition, with the theatrical cut (before they ended up releasing it on Blu-Ray)

Although there's really no reason to spring for that if all you care about are the movies themselves, as the masters for this version are what they used on the Limited Edition DVD bonus discs.

edit edit: Christ sake there's a 3rd party seller got the Widescreen VHS Special Editions up for 80 bucks. That's insane.

edit edit: Christ sake there's a 3rd party seller got the Widescreen VHS Special Editions up for 80 bucks. That's insane.

Gotta get that money now before the information on the tape degrades to the point where they're only good for helping grandpa record his Matlock reruns.

sol_bad

Will the timeline in the OP be constantly updated or is there somewhere else that keeps the timeline up to date?

sphagnum

Banned
The timeline needs to be updated anyway, there's a lot of stuff missing unless it's supposed to be a pruned version.

-Lords of the Sith comes before Tarkin so that needs to be flipped.
-Crystal Crisis on Utapau and The Bad Batch need to be added to the timeline, as do The Clone Wars (film), Spark of Rebellion, and the Rebels shorts, unless those are just considered to be parts of their respective series.
-The Rebels UK exclusive comic is missing.
-The Story Before The Force Awakens is missing.
-All young adult novels are missing (Edge of the Galaxy, Ezra's Gamble, Rebel in the Ranks, Imperial Justice, The Weapon of a Jedi, Smuggler's Run, Moving Target).
-All short stories are missing (Orientation, The End of History, Last Call at the Zero Angle, One Thousand Levels Down, Blade Squadron).
-Battlefront: Twilight Company is missing.
-Aftermath is missing.
-Lando (comic) is missing.

Will the timeline in the OP be constantly updated or is there somewhere else that keeps the timeline up to date?

I'm hoping to keep it updated yep. I made it a while ago so it could do with a few updates, but I'll probably just focus on key additions to the canon otherwise it'll be way too cluttered. Wookieepedia have a more detailed timeline here if you're after a more in depth look.

I'm hoping to keep it updated yep. I made it a while ago so it could do with a few updates, but I'll probably just focus on key additions to the canon otherwise it'll be way too cluttered. Wookieepedia have a more detailed timeline here if you're after a more in depth look.

Yeah for the purpose of this summary I agree. Keep it to films/tv/adult novels but link to the full timeline at wookiepedia.

You have comics on there now which is nice but I imagine in time that will get very cluttered and confusing. As long as a series generally is contained within the same few years maybe just put it under one heading instead of being specific about which issues came first. Or just have a separate timeline for comics.

curb

Banned
I don't believe it. He's been wanting to do his own thing for a while.
I suppose it's possible, but I just think he's not in a place right now to helm yet another giant machine.

One of the comments I saw on the rumor was that since it's a little ways off yet, he'd have time to do a smaller project first before starting Star Wars. Still just rumor of course.

I don't believe it. He's been wanting to do his own thing for a while.
I suppose it's possible, but I just think he's not in a place right now to helm yet another giant machine.

Honestly, I think the problem was more the level of control. I don't think he's necessarily opposed to doing a big project right now (though I'm sure he'd prefer something smaller as a breather), but whatever he does for the foreseeable future would have to be on his terms.

Dude just seems exhausted of fighting with the studios, is all.

Lucasfilm wants Abrams back for Episode 9. The rumor, so far as I remember it when it immediately sparked off, was that they're looking to get him for a spinoff, which would give him freedom to do what he wants without making it fit into whatever Abrams/Kasdan are doing with the main trilogy, and would give him the time to go pursue something of his own before he has to start.

But that's not as attractive to write about, so "WHEDON TO DO EPISODE 9 ONCE HE LICKS HIS WOUNDS FROM BEING SAVAGED BY MILITANT FEMINISTS"

Top Bottom