• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

curb

Banned
Lucasfilm wants Abrams back for Episode 9. The rumor, so far as I remember it when it immediately sparked off, was that they're looking to get him for a spinoff, which would give him freedom to do what he wants without making it fit into whatever Abrams/Kasdan are doing with the main trilogy, and would give him the time to go pursue something of his own before he has to start.

But that's not as attractive to write about, so "WHEDON TO DO EPISODE 9 ONCE HE LICKS HIS WOUNDS FROM BEING SAVAGED BY MILITANT FEMINISTS"

I'd click on that

El Topo

Doesn't that belong into the rumor thread? I think the script (or something like that) for the first movie leaked, so the guys in the spoiler thread probably already know.

Tizoc

Man Empire Strikes Back is a lot better, and I like the pacing.
The whole Hyperdrive problem on the M. Folcon was really nice and I hope they bring it back in Ep. 7 XP
...and man does 3CPO bitch A LOT, seriously that's all he does in these movies, whine and complain jeez.

JDHarbs

Empire Strikes Back is actually the greatest movie ever made.
The Luke/Vader fight scenes still give me chills.

GkhOLq5.gif

Meowster

GkhOLq5.gif
It was framed so well. They really played up the tension and anxiety over how the battle was going to go. Vader and Luke staring each other down before Luke goes in for the first strike, the lack of music and score making the clashes of lightsabers and breathing more poignant. More human and more fearful. It's nothing short of masterful. Irvin Kershner really deserves more respect than given.

Tapejara

Finished Lords of the Sith. I hate that Star Wars books usually have multiple plotlines going on at once, as I usually have to deal with one particular thread that's just boring. In this case it was the Belkor storyline. Aside from that, I loved everything about the rebels, and the interactions between Vader and Siduous were great.

Of the two new canon books I've read, I'd say Tarkin was better.

GkhOLq5.gif

Everything about this scene is perfect. The shot itself, Vader's voice; just so well done.

Meowster

I wonder if we will get cliffhangers as powerful as ESB gave us in a future SW film.

Did you see that recent article where Whedon talked about ESB and how bad it was because it didn't "end"

I wonder if that sentiment is shared by Disney... o_O
I think he is right, in his own way. Cliffhanger endings are usually cheaply made and don't really serve any kind of actual catharsis. And there really isn't any - Luke was humiliated and defeated time after time in the movie, not to mention losing his sole sense of power and family by losing Anakin's lightsaber, Leia lost her love with Han, Han is (at the time) gone and could very well be dead, the rebels did not win any significant battle and everyone is forced to retreat. But I think the title lends itself well to this ending: The Empire Strikes Back and they sure as hell did. They leave you with Luke's internal struggle and Leia's outward sadness over her losses as they look across the galaxy, which is poignant enough. It works here. It's used differently enough and I don't think has really been replicated since. Sorta a fluke.

Anyone old enough to know what it was like to live between the years of ESB and ROTJ? I can't imagine anything that would have left me on the edge of my seat more. Was Vader telling the truth? What is happening to Han? How will Luke rebuild himself?

What is the canonicity of the ewok movies? Are they even good? I remember enjoying them when I was a child... But that was a long time ago

Tizoc

Can I just say that this is still the BEST animated Star Wars media/if not the best overall in the franchise?
latest

I wonder if we will get cliffhangers as powerful as ESB gave us in a future SW film.

Did you see that recent article where Whedon talked about ESB and how bad it was because it didn't "end"

I wonder if that sentiment is shared by Disney... o_O

That opinion seemed to be the consensus back then. Empire doesn't seem to have been as well received as Star Wars mainly because it ended on a cliffhanger. It must have been pretty unbearable having to wait three years to find out what happened next but I don't understand how people could watch Empire and feel negative afterwards.

I guess we're all going to have to endure waiting to see what happens next after we've watched the Force Awakens. At least there's a spin-off to divert our attention and the fact that VIII is out two years after VII instead of three.

What is the canonicity of the ewok movies? Are they even good? I remember enjoying them when I was a child... But that was a long time ago

They're not canon. I haven't actually seen them.

Can I just say that this is still the BEST animated Star Wars media/if not the best overall in the franchise?
latest

it definitely had the best Grievous. He was a badass not a cat coughing up a furball.

Tizoc

So what was the idea behind the Ewoks? Why not just have another rebel group be on Endor instead of them? Were they forced to have them in the 3rd movie?

So what was the idea behind the Ewoks? Why not just have another rebel group be on Endor instead of them? Were they forced to have them in the 3rd movie?

Originally it was going to be Wookiees but Lucas wanted a less military advanced species to help bring down the Empire. In Making Return of the Jedi I recall him saying he was inspired by the Vietcong.

Kasdan wasn't too keen on them if I remember correctly. Lucas had originally planned to have the Emperor face Luke on Had Abaddon which would have taken up a larger chunk of the movie and they debated having one or the other but eventually decided on the second Death Star and the ewoks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Originally it was going to be Wookiees but Lucas wanted a less military advanced species to help bring down the Empire. In Making Return of the Jedi I recall him saying he was inspired by the Vietcong.

Kasdan wasn't too keen on them if I remember correctly. Lucas had originally planned to have the Emperor face Luke on Had Abaddon which would have taken up a larger chunk of the movie and they debated having one or the other but eventually decided on the second Death Star and the ewoks.

Wasnt it more so that the Wookie costumes were to expensive?

Meowster

I like ROTJ but the Endor parts (aside from the chase on the speeder) are so boring to me. The Tatooine segment and especially the final showdown of the Empire versus the Rebels (including Vader/Palpatine/Luke here) are what really make it.

Tizoc

Vader: "I hope so, commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."

Well seeing how Vader treated his previous subordinates, I don't think ANYONE wants to experience what the Emperor does to those that displease him, brrrr.

Ezalc

latest

I used to think this as well, but watching the cg series it really shows the love that series got. It's really good, and while I like the 2d animation better than the 3d one, I really give it to the 3d series for taking clones and making me care about them as individuals. Which is amazing that they are literal clones but they manage to make some of them feel really distinct from one another. It reminds me of a point I brought up earlier in that here we have specific known clones, the more famous and recognized ones like Cody, Rex, Gree, Wolffe and other commanders, but we don't really have any Stormtroopers that are noteworthy when they aren't clones. It's one of the reasons why I'm excited for Captain Phasma in the new movie and something I hope Rebels does as well.

it definitely had the best Grievous. He was a badass not a cat coughing up a furball.

I also have to agree with this, Grievous in the 2D series is terrifying. His introduction is still one of my favorite parts of the series and it's a shame how his character was handled later on. In a sense he reminds me of Maul, that silent predatory type of character, but Maul in the 3D series seems to be handled pretty well. I just got to the part where he's come back and I'm liking the way they gave him a real personality, his voice is on point too.

Tizoc

I plan on watching the 3D series eventually.

I wonder if Genndy was disappointed he couldn't get the chance to make a short featuring Darth Vader :p

...but damn was Mace Windu laying down dat Jedi LAW!

That opinion seemed to be the consensus back then. Empire doesn't seem to have been as well received as Star Wars mainly because it ended on a cliffhanger.

It wasn't a consensus at all, those three years were so exciting as to be untrue. was vader *really* lukes father, who was this other, could lando and chewie really catch boba fett before he got to tatooine? would the empire have tatooine locked down before the good guys could get there? It was also the time that this myth of boba fett really took hold.

Also empire never felt as if it didn't have a resolution, that pull away from the medical cruiser with that music was so incredibly beautiful that no-one I knew felt let down by the ending, plus the promise of more star wars was always there.

In hindsight it feels like I spent the three years constantly freezing my han solo action figure (in the 'bubble' from a figure packet) so he could be rescued and thawed out. I was a very literal minded child.

Tizoc

Can I just say that Bobba Fett didn't seem to do anything worth noting? I for all intents and purposes it was Vader who caught and Carbonited Solo.

Fett was just...there.

Was he supposed to appear in the first movie or something?

Meowster

I think (correct me if I am wrong) Boba Fett blowing up and becoming such a cult favorite was due to a lack of.. anything between ESB and ROTJ. Here's this badass bounty hunter with an awesome look, managed to snag Han Solo, and is yet an utter mystery. I can see how that can be really appealing. Of course, ROTJ kinda ruins that image in retrospect but it's the one that they kept in the Legacy EU.

The fact that he was introduced (in the UK at least) as a 'empire' sneak preview figure if you sent in the name tags from figure boxes didn't hurt his mystique either. General madine had an unwarranted aura of glamour for a while for the same reason.

It wasn't a consensus at all, those three years were so exciting as to be untrue. was vader *really* lukes father, who was this other, could lando and chewie really catch boba fett before he got to tatooine? would the empire have tatooine locked down before the good guys could get there? It was also the time that this myth of boba fett really took hold.

Also empire never felt as if it didn't have a resolution, that pull away from the medical cruiser with that music was so incredibly beautiful that no-one I knew felt let down by the ending, plus the promise of more star wars was always there.

In hindsight it feels like I spent the three years constantly freezing my han solo action figure (in the 'bubble' from a figure packet) so he could be rescued and thawed out. I was a very literal minded child.

I should have been clearer. I meant it seemed to be a popular opinion amongst a lot of film critics at the time. It had less of a positive reaction from them than Star Wars had. I can imagine being a fan back then was brilliant (something I unfortunately missed out on) and now with a new sequel trilogy to look forward to as well, it's even better.

Tizoc

Wait how did Luke even make a new Light Sabre by the time of RoJ? Did Obi Wan speak with him and taught him how to do it? Where'd he even find the components for it?

I think I kind of like Iv more than v. Both are brilliant but Iv is funner. The entire death star sequence was amazing. And the trench run was neat too

Battle of hoth was p good though

Tizoc

How the hell did the Dark Side of the Force not sense or factor effin' Ewoks into the whole thing? Did Sidious not see them as any form of threat?

How the hell did the Dark Side of the Force not sense or factor effin' Ewoks into the whole thing? Did Sidious not see them as any form of threat?

Would you by looking at them? Haha. I doubt they would have ever become involved in the conflict if Han and the gang hadn't shown up.

As for Luke's lightsaber the article on Wookieepedia's a pretty good summary here. Thought of a lot of it comes from material that's no longer canon.

Meowster

Wait how did Luke even make a new Light Sabre by the time of RoJ? Did Obi Wan speak with him and taught him how to do it? Where'd he even find the components for it?
I think the latest (or second latest) Star Wars comic showed
a box in Ben's hut with Luke's name on it
after the events of ANH. That could be it.

Tizoc

OH SO THAT'S WHAT WAS IN THE BOX!

Also fuck continuity, Gendy had Cartoon Samuel L. Jackson go Kenshiro on droids and their big ass earth quake tank, everything else in Jedi lore can be forgotten to the mists of time, and I'll still sing its praises no matter how much the aficionados question its part within the canon :V

Ezalc

OH SO THAT'S WHAT WAS IN THE BOX!

Also fuck continuity, Gendy had Cartoon Samuel L. Jackson go Kenshiro on droids and their big ass earth quake tank, everything else in Jedi lore can be forgotten to the mists of time, and I'll still sing its praises no matter how much the aficionados question its part within the canon :V

If you watch the cg one I'd say it's almost perfectly acceptable within the canon. Maybe the only question is Grievous' cough since in the 2d one that happens due to Mace and leads straight into the third movie whereas in the 3D one they never really explain it, he just seems to have it from the beginning. Otherwise I don't think there's anything that really contradicts it aside from no mention whatsoever of Ahsoka given that she didn't exist, but that can just be seen as: Anakin went on missions while she was somewhere else.

After thinking about it, I think I've come to the special edition change that better shows how out of it George was with the changes :p. It's so small and pointless, but manages to turn a cute moment into an okay but much blander one. I'm referring to the change of the line "You're lucky you don't taste very good." to "You were lucky to get out of there". George changing dialogue was such a mistake.

Also, this is something that I just noticed, but I don't understand why he changed the score in this section (from 6:15 to 6:56). It's very small, but there was nothing wrong with the original. If anything, I like the bits of the theme better for the scenes in the original.

Ezalc

Just finished the 5th season of clone wars, this is my first time watching it, and I have to say. Ahsoka's trial really shows how far the council had fallen and how deluded they were. Hell when Palpatine starts making a speech about how this could all be a Separatist plot all I could think of: Aren't you supposed to be the impartial judge? What the fuck are you doing giving arguments to the prosecution? I mean, I know Sheev gonna Sheev but still.

Is there any old books about grey jedi not affiliated with the order? Every time I see some master talk about the force sith or jedi I just think they're extremists.

Is there any old books about grey jedi not affiliated with the order? Every time I see some master talk about the force sith or jedi I just think they're extremists.

Yes both sides became very extreme, pushing and pulling one way or another. I was surprised to see how the Jedi acted in the prequels and also in TCW at times.

If only some dude would bring balance to the force or something, knock down the jedi order a few rungs and tell Sheev to shove it.

Dpp1978

Neo Member
After thinking about it, I think I've come to the special edition change that better shows how out of it George was with the changes :p. It's so small and pointless, but manages to turn a cute moment into an okay but much blander one. I'm referring to the change of the line "You're lucky you don't taste very good." to "You were lucky to get out of there". George changing dialogue was such a mistake.

Many, if not all, of the minor dialogue changes actually come from the original 70mm cut/mix for Empire. It was different to the more generally seen 35mm version in that it had a few minor editing revisions and a few different audio elements. For some reason the Special Edition, and all subsequent editions, use these elements rather than the more familiar ones.

The biggest change was made to the final sequence with the Rebel fleet. A couple of extra shots were added to make it scan better.

Of course these changes were nowhere near as extensive as those made in '97. But it does add to the debate as to what the definitive version of the original cut of Empire should be.

Should it be the first one released? Or should it be the one we are most familiar with?

Rootbeer

Banned
Got my ashoka card!

Sadly I don't have the full set... gonna try to pull more of her and trade to fill my rebels collection

Got my ashoka card!

Sadly I don't have the full set... gonna try to pull more of her and trade to fill my rebels collection

Spent all my credits, no Ashoka :( Ive had pretty bad luck the past week or so.
Should we take card trade talk to the star wars gaming thread? Is it more relevant there?

Rootbeer

Banned
i traded one spare ashoka for an r2 :( not the best trade but I needed him...

trying to get another ashoka... :( i might dump $10 in to get enough credits, i just ran out. need that trade bait... to get hera

i didn't know the card trader was being discussed in gaming. if that is where people are going, sure

*just a reminder* anyone who would like to add me on card trader... my account is Zulith (no "e" at the end), currently looking for Rebels Hero cards I need, i'll trade other inserts for them -- most notably older inserts especially if I have 2x, please be fair :p

curb

Banned
Spent all my credits, no Ashoka :( Ive had pretty bad luck the past week or so.
Should we take card trade talk to the star wars gaming thread? Is it more relevant there?

Got an Ahsoka just now. 55k in stored up credits well spent.

I suppose the Star Wars gaming thread would be a better place for this. I personally don't mind that it's in this thread but maybe the other one makes more sense.

i traded one spare ashoka for an r2 :( not the best trade but I needed him...

trying to get another ashoka... :( i might dump $10 in to get enough credits, i just ran out. need that trade bait... to get hera

i didn't know the card trader was being discussed in gaming. if that is where people are going, sure

*just a reminder* anyone who would like to add me on card trader... my account is Zulith (no "e" at the end), currently looking for Rebels Hero cards I need, i'll trade other inserts for them -- most notably older inserts especially if I have 2x, please be fair :p

Got an Ahsoka just now. 55k in stored up credits well spent.

I suppose the Star Wars gaming thread would be a better place for this. I personally don't mind that it's in this thread but maybe the other one makes more sense.

I saved up around 50k (I play free) but alas not even a yellow. Down the drain!
I've talked about the card trader in this thread too I dont mind so much, it's just a thought. Seems like it just makes more sense to post there. The thread could use a little action, anyway.

Top Bottom