• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Speaking of, do you think we are moving past Jedi and Sith?
Like, Kylo Ren isn't a Sith. That was made explicit in the interviews. Likewise, Rey is not (yet) a Jedi. We also have Father, Son and Daughter plus Lyra Erso and Chirrut. And I really doubt that Snoke is going to be a Sith Lord. I'm thinking that we're just going to have Force Adept individuals with no formal Sith/Jedi training.

The Sith are gone, full stop. Barring some random comic arc about a random Sith acolyte or something, we're not going to see the Sith pop up post-RotJ. Like you said, not even Kylo is a Sith and he's a guy who both literally worships a former Sith Lord and is his grandson. That's good though. While evil is always going to return to the galaxy, bringing back the Sith after Anakin and Luke ended them would be lame. That victory at least should be final.

The Jedi though, that's a more interesting question. While we did have a new Jedi Order form post-RotJ, we're back down to one living Jedi again. That could be seen as a pretty heavy indictment on the entire religion, for the whole damn thing to immediately fail, and I could see the story leading to a point where the Jedi are left behind altogether. That said, TFA seems to indicate that many still feel the Jedi specifically have an extremely important place in the universe. The Church of the Force and Lor San Tekka for example. And Snoke seems particularly scared of Luke, the last Jedi. It's going to be really interesting to see where they take things with VIII and IX, because it's all quite open-ended.

But yeah, I do think we will see more unaligned Force users going forward, which in-universe makes sense since the two predominant factions across thousands of years of history have both failed spectacularly.

Kyle Katarn could be a non aligned force user. There's still some gap between 6 and 7 for him to be partially trained by Luke, but decided the life isn't for him.

The Inquisitors are force users who are not Sith as well.

I mean, technically they're not Sith, but they kind of are as well. They're Sith-aligned and act out the will of the Sith. The only reason they're not actual Sith is because of the rule of two. Asajj more or less existed in the same loophole as well during her time as Dooku's apprentice/agent, as well as a few others.

Sayers

I mean, technically they're not Sith, but they kind of are as well. They're Sith-aligned and act out the will of the Sith. The only reason they're not actual Sith is because of the rule of two. Asajj more or less existed in the same loophole as well during her time as Dooku's apprentice/agent, as well as a few others.
My understanding is that it was more than just a philosophical reason that they were not considered Sith. I believe their training was also deliberately limited so they would never be a threat to Vader or Palpatine.

3N16MA

Banned
That's great. I just didn't expect Lego to make anything from EU. Thought they'd focus on the tv shows and movies.
latest

They will occasionally release the odd set outside of film and TV. The Darth Malgus minifig has skyrocketed in price.

My understanding is that it was more than just a philosophical reason that they were not considered Sith. I believe their training was also deliberately limited so they would never be a threat to Vader or Palpatine.

Right. It's also why Palpatine ordered Asajj to be terminated when he realized her training had surpassed "Force-wielding hitwoman". But they all still operate within the fold of the Sith and presumably follow the teachings, so while they're factually not Sith Lords I just personally wouldn't consider them a unique faction of Force user either.

Ezalc

More morally grey characters is something I've been wanting to see in the star wars universe for a very long time. Animated or in film, I would love some neutral antihero-ish character that calls out both sides on their bullshit.

Sayers

Right. It's also why Palpatine ordered Asajj to be terminated when he realized her training had surpassed "Force-wielding hitwoman". But they all still operate within the fold of the Sith and presumably follow the teachings, so while they're factually not Sith Lords I just personally wouldn't consider them a unique faction of Force user either.

Kind of begs the question of what does it mean to be a Sith? Is it a religion? A lifestyle? A club with only two members?

Kind of begs the question of what does it mean to be a Sith? Is it a religion? A lifestyle? A club with only two members?

The Sith seems to change every few thousand years. It was an empire and then it was a party of two and in the Galactic Empire it seems it's just a modification of the Rule of Two.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Rogue One inspired me to spend money on a Jyn Erso figure the other day.

What Star Wars stuff do you guys collect?

1/6 scale hot toys, started last year and think I'm addicted

IMG_0444.png

IMG_0445.png

This is my favourite item though, I met each of them at celebration this year and got the autographs framed.

IMG_0465.png

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Goes he still by Darth?

Just came home from my second watch of R1. Hold up much better then TFA. My father loved it and he really really disliked all these returning characters in TFA.

Malyse

More morally grey characters is something I've been wanting to see in the star wars universe for a very long time. Animated or in film, I would love some neutral antihero-ish character that calls out both sides on their bullshit.

I've been saying this for a while but there's an interesting concept of Light != good, Dark != evil referring to the Force that no one is exploring.

The Old Republic spoilers

There is a mission in The Old Republic called The Politics of Dissent, where you have to intercept documents about a Senator who is working with Sith to surrender the Republic. After you get the documents, you are confronted by a page about what you are doing by stealing the info. He give you the option of taking fake documents to your contact that would prove nothing. Taking the real documents is considered a Dark Side choice while taking the fake and not getting involved is a Light Side choice. Why?

To be lightsided is not to be "Good," it's mostly just to follow the law and maintain order.

There is no "greater good" to the Jedi Code. You follow it or you risk falling to the dark side. This seems silly, but think of Revan: He disobeyed the Council and ended up saving the galaxy by fighting the Mandalorians (greater good) but in the end he fell to the dark side.

It's a concept I would love to see expanded.
Incidentally, this is something that Kingdom Hearts has very much explored, which is part of why Star Wars would be such an interesting juxtaposition were it included in the game.

I think Ahsoka Tano fits this niche perfectly tbh.

LionPride

Banned
I've been saying this for a while but there's an interesting concept of Light != good, Dark != evil referring to the Force that no one is exploring.

The Old Republic spoilers

There is a mission in The Old Republic called The Politics of Dissent, where you have to intercept documents about a Senator who is working with Sith to surrender the Republic. After you get the documents, you are confronted by a page about what you are doing by stealing the info. He give you the option of taking fake documents to your contact that would prove nothing. Taking the real documents is considered a Dark Side choice while taking the fake and not getting involved is a Light Side choice. Why?

It's a concept I would love to see expanded.
Incidentally, this is something that Kingdom Hearts has very much explored, which is part of why Star Wars would be such an interesting juxtaposition were it included in the game.

Despite the fact I have been interested in Star Wars for most of my life, I somehow forgot that being on the Light Side doesn't mean being on the good side per se

This needs to be looked at more

Rydeen

IMG_0444.png

I have the Hot Toys Rogue One Vader coming and I'm sorely tempted to start getting the New Hope versions of each character to go with him, like one character per-paycheck so that I don't go crazy, they're kind of the end-all, be-all of Star Wars action figures.

Anth0ny

IMG_0444.png

IMG_0445.png

This is my favourite item though, I met each of them at celebration this year and got the autographs framed.

IMG_0465.png

amazing. I'd totally go crazy with SW hot toys if I had the space. for now I might just do Vader and that's it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there any hint in any media how much power the senate has between ROTJ until its disbannded?
R1 hinted that it still has some power but I am curious how much it actually is.

Roders5

I have the Hot Toys Rogue One Vader coming and I'm sorely tempted to start getting the New Hope versions of each character to go with him, like one character per-paycheck so that I don't go crazy, they're kind of the end-all, be-all of Star Wars action figures.

Cost is the most prohibitive factor for me, now that I've caught up, one per pay check is my limit as well.

amazing. I'd totally go crazy with SW hot toys if I had the space. for now I might just do Vader and that's it.

Space is the other big problem. With a new movie every year now, I'm going to run out in no time.

SpaceWolf

Banned

IMG_0465.png

Jesus Christ! I'm so jealous of you, dude. That's incredible.

Yahoo have posted an interesting interview with the Rogue One editors. I was surprised to find out Cassian's first scene was introduced in the reshoots.

I find this really shocking. I really liked that scene and felt it was so important in establish Cassian as a character.

God bless the reshoots, apparently.

I find this really shocking. I really liked that scene and felt it was so important in establish Cassian as a character.

God bless the reshoots, apparently.

Looking at it now, it's essential to his character. Even though it was never likely he'd
shoot Galen, it added tension to that scene that wouldn't have been there otherwise. It immediately roped me in as well as I expected Cassian to be the strait-laced Rebel guy who never put a foot wrong.
Adding some shades of grey to the Rebellion is one of the best things Rogue One does.

curb

Banned
There's a thread about the trailer for the rest of the Rebels season that I'd link to but I'm on mobile and lazy. Looks good but then, their trailers always do.

Obi-Wan vs Maul!

Roders5

Jesus Christ! I'm so jealous of you, dude. That's incredible.

Thanks. As soon as I heard celebration was coming to London I knew it would be the only chance I'd ever get to meet cast from the OT. Mark and Carrie were my main targets so I'm over the moon I got 5 in total.

Speaking of Maul, the Star Wars website's got an interview with Cullen Bunn on the Maul comic.

Cullen Bunn: This series takes place shortly before the events of The Phantom Menace. We're following Darth Maul at a point when his anxiousness, his impatience, and his thirst for vengeance against the Jedi is at an all-time high.

He's growing frustrated. He's been taught to hate the Jedi. He's been trained to kill them. But his master, Darth Sidious, has told him to bide his time, to keep himself hidden. This is driving Maul crazy, so we see him venting his anger by testing his skills against some of the nastiest creatures and cutthroats in the galaxy. During one of his missions, though, he learns something of interest. A powerful crime lord has captured a Jedi Padawan, and only a few people know about it.

Maul sees this as an opportunity to test his mettle against those he hates, so he sets out to find this Jedi. He has to operate in secret, though, because his master would not approve.

marvel-darth-maul-02-198x300.jpg

marvel-darth-maul-03-300x231.jpg

Some of the variants:

Man for some reason Rogue One got me so hyped for Star Wars Land at Disney World while I was just kinda meh on it until that point.
Like Rebels, TFA, etc didn't do it but for some reason after Rogue One has me going back and looking at all the details as well as construction updates stuff.

I just hope it delivers, I don't know if it can on their promises.
If anything is done half as well as ToT though, in for a treat.

Xun

My mate was told a fair bit about the story of VIII, but thankfully he was reluctant to tell me anything.

All he did say is that there's a pretty big plot twist (which isn't surprising) and that it's nothing like ESB (which also isn't surprising).

Nodnol

My mate was told a fair bit about the story of VIII, but thankfully he was reluctant to tell me anything.

All he did say is that there’s a pretty big plot twist (which isn’t surprising) and that it’s nothing like ESB (which also isn't surprising).

I'd hope then, that rumors and possibly leaks aren't a million miles away then, if there's info out in the wild.

I know rumors and leaks aren't for everyone but I'm incredibly weak-willed and feel starved of VIII info.

I don't think any of us expected VIII to echoe ESB, did we? TFA's familiarity served a function, whereas there's no reason moving forward to retread the OT.

Big plot twist could be anything. Han wakes up after being frozen in Jabba's Palace and claims to Leia that he's just had the weirdest dream?

Anth0ny

I do think if they're going to "rip off" anything from Empire, it's the "omg plot twist one liner" moment at the climax of the film.

I'm thinking:

-Luke goes to the dark side
-Rey goes to the dark side
-Luke says I am your father to Rey
-Rey says I am your father to Luke! Because she's Anakin reincarnated!
-Something even more wacky that I can't think of!!!

they're going to try and top Vader's "I am your father" with a plot twist that is even MORE unexpected. I can feel it.

Sayers

Given that everyone just assumes Rey is Luke's daughter, Rey's parents being no one special would be a plot twist itself.

Top Bottom