• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

Posted this in the trailer thread as well, but the Phasma and Luke flashback scenes are definitely separate. It looks like Phasma's storming the ship where we see Poe sprinting to his X-Wing. See the blue lines around the hangar.

The first order learned to best way to stop Poe is to make sure his ship is destroyed lol

I was just whelmed by the trailer myself. I thought the photos that we saw before during the panel revealed more cool things. I just had lofty expectations and it looks like they are going to keep this tight to the chest until release.

curb

Banned
I wasn't convinced we'd even get a trailer so I already had low expectations. I was more than sufficiently whelmed. Great start to the hype train for me.

I loved it. Maybe not as bombastic or as crowd pleasing as TFA's trailers but the shots of Rey's training and Luke seemingly abandoning the Jedi way really excited me. We actually got more of Luke than I was expecting and maybe the Journal of the Whills.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Anyone noticed the akward transition between the stars right at the beginning and the stone, Rey is falling on?

There we have our transition from the intro text.

Anyone noticed the akward transition between the stars right at the beginning and the stone, Rey is falling on?

There we have our transition from the intro text.
It will still be a pan from space

But I can totally see that be a transition for a later scene

Also after a few more times seeing the trailer, I think I'm liking it more. Think I'm more disappointed with the panel

The Last Jedi's teaser in high bitrate with 5.1 surround sound: http://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/star-wars-episode-viii-the-last-jedi-2017/

Thanks to BrokenFiction in the Celebration thread for pointing it out.
Screencaps said:
ahROG9n.png
ol6QKbD.png
lbEd2CK.png
UdTYRTA.png
xcpOBud.png
24Xr1Nh.png
GNdHOth.png
0t386mR.png
0dqJPry.png
uAsHk2Z.png
OlckWFy.png
gI4ENEC.png
Zj7vGCJ.png
PmOvnIT.png
RmWIVru.png
YUa9OZJ.png
1OyZ9M4.png
WZ9wMUk.png
hiR9V29.png
wzxgfum.png

Don't get me wrong, I still loved the trailer, I just wasn't over or under on it. To be over, I would have to seen more bad guy stuff. I want to know about the Knights of Ren, I want to know about Snoke, I want to know how we went from the last remnant of the Empire escaping to uncharted Space after Jakku to having the First Order, I want to know the significance of Jakku. I didn't expect the trailer to answer any of that, but it would have blown me away if it teased it a bit. I guess I should be happy that I still know nothing. The thirst is real and we have 8 months to go. I hope I live!!!

MattyG

Banned
I need recommendations on which book to read. I have them all except Thrawn. Have read Tarkin and Lords of the Sith. What is the most fun read of all of them? Just to get me going, hopefully I'll build up momentum and cruise through the collection.

I need recommendations on which book to read. I have them all except Thrawn. Have read Tarkin and Lords of the Sith. What is the most fun read of all of them? Just to get me going, hopefully I'll build up momentum and cruise through the collection.
Lost Stars
Dark Disciple
Catalyst
Life Debt

In that order in my opinion. Good news is you already read the worst new canon book i have read in Lords of the Sith. How was Tarkin? That, a new dawn, and heir to the Jedi are the only new canon novels I haven't read.

Also kind of disappointed that Claudia Gray is doing another Leia book,, the last one wasn't bad but I feel like her talents were somewhat wasted. Lost Stars excels because it's a slew of new great characters whose roles were not limited by existing knowledge of them.

Rekubot

The Battlefront: Twilight Company book is surprisingly high quality, probably my second favourite book after Tarkin. Lost Stars is also highly regarded but it wasn't my thing.

Malyse

Thrawn is sooo good! I love this type of story.

Also, it's interesting how Star Wars is becoming a pseudo medium in itself, with which you can tell stories from a variety of genres.

----

As for reccs, don't forget the adaptation and prequel novels too.

Ezalc

Somebody should ask Pablo Hidalgo or Dave what happened to Quinlan Vos after Order 66. I'm still holding out hope that he survives the purge somehow and we get to see some descendant of his later.

SArcher

Banned
With the news of Rebels coming to an end and some of those characters possibly dying I'm starting to feel like Star Wars as a narrative is getting depressing. RoTS, Rogue One & Rebels all have downer endings. Luke, Leia and Han all lose a lot between RoTJ and TFA. Han dies in TFA and Leia now has to die in Episode VIII. Feels like an endless string of tragedies.

With the news of Rebels coming to an end and some of those characters possibly dying I'm starting to feel like Star Wars as a narrative is getting depressing. RoTS, Rogue One & Rebels all have downer endings. Luke, Leia and Han all lose a lot between RoTJ and TFA. Han dies in TFA and Leia now has to die in Episode VIII. Feels like an endless string of tragedies.

This is me right now as well.

Sayers

It's dark middle chapter time

As Cilla Black might've said, that's a lorra lorra Star Wars books. I kinda wish the Rogue One ones had come out closer to the release of the movie as combined with the Journey to The Last Jedi they're going to make for quite a punishing schedule.

I'm actually quite tempted to get the Star Wars coding book for kids (even though I'm not really in the target age range).

What's up with that Stormtrooper book? Is a BtS work or a reference book in line with the propaganda and atlas guides?

Good question. I haven't seen anything about it apart from the cover.

For those of you who missed it, Inferno Squad has been confirmed as a Battlefront 2 tie-in novel. It's got a pretty sweet cover too.

Blimey, the Celebration thread is catching up with this one.

MattyG

Banned
Good question. I haven't seen anything about it apart from the cover.

For those of you who missed it, Inferno Squad has been confirmed as a Battlefront 2 tie-in novel. It's got a pretty sweet cover too.

Blimey, the Celebration thread is catching up with this one.
Fuuuuuuuck that cover is good.

I was confused by the publishers for the Journey to The Last Jedi books but someone's posted the book panel slides on Twitter so that clarifies. Del Rey is adult, Disney Lucasfilm Press is YA.

Phasma: Del Ray
Captain Phasma: Marvel
Leia - Princess of Alderaan: DLP
Legends of Luke Skywalker: DLP

Interesting thing is that it seemed like Claudia Gray was going to be doing a New Republic trilogy with Del Rey that ended up losing that branding with Bloodline but this new book seems unconnected to that.

Zombine

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I still loved the trailer, I just wasn't over or under on it. To be over, I would have to seen more bad guy stuff.

YES. That's the one thing the trailer was missing. Ben, as much as I love him, is more of a sympathetic character to me now. I wanted to see more Snoke or maybe a bit of Phasma.

curb

Banned
For some lazy Easter day fun, I watched The Gathering arc of Clone Wars episodes with my four year old daughter (which she loved). I really enjoyed the
little bit of lightsaber construction lore we get. I'm now reminded of how much I want Gungi to have somehow survived Order 66.

I don't want to see much in a teaser and the teaser still showed Kylo's helmet smashed to shit and the shot of him slowly turning the lit saber. That stuff was incredibly sinister to me.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I've now watched Rogue One and have yet to hear Hera's name being called out.

I totally heard Karabast this time around, though.

[edit]

Just Youtubed it.

How the hell did I miss that 3 times?...

sphagnum

Banned

It will make the triumph in Episode IX all that much sweeter.

It will make the triumph in Episode IX all that much sweeter.

y'know i'm not really sure that triumph is a certainty this time out, there will be minor victories at the end of ep.9 for sure but its just as likely that the first order will become the second galactic empire ready for eps.10-12..

GAMEPROFF

Banned
y'know i'm not really sure that triumph is a certainty this time out, there will be minor victories at the end of ep.9 for sure but its just as likely that the first order will become the second galactic empire ready for eps.10-12..

Doubt that they are going fully MCU in regards of setting up things.
I am sure that the First Order will continue to exist, but no way they are going big scale.

Top Bottom