• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

StarWars.com article on Gillen and Larocca taking over the ongoing comics.

naqp9Z2.jpg

sphagnum

Banned
I love Seyn so, so very much.

There's a whole lot I want to say here, but wont in case you're not finished.

I read the entire book in one sitting today, had a lot of downtime at work. Overall, I liked it, but I think a lot could have been trimmed from the middle. It's funny that it's called Battlefront since it ties into the game when there is literally one battle in the book - in the first chapter - and the rest is all special ops missions. It actually works really well as a sort of sequel to Rebel Rising, which I wasn't expecting, and even gets nearly as dark as that book but pulls back at the last minute. I have to congratulate the LSG on Mentor's identity.

I'm still waiting for my day-in-the-life-of-a-Stormtrooper-on-the-frontlines book. Maybe for Battlefront III.

Catalyst/Tarkin/Rebel Rising/Guardians of the Whills/Rogue One/A New Hope/Inferno Squad makes for a really interesting and coherent series at this point.

sphagnum

Banned
While I REALLY like Jason Aaron, his Star Wars stuff hasn't been great. There were maybe 2 arcs that were great but that's it and some of it didn't really feel Star Wars-ish.

Liking that picture a lot.

The thing I really like about what Gillen said is that he has a particular story plan about the arc of the war. It felt like Aaron was treading water, so now we can expect there to actually be momentum.

While I REALLY like Jason Aaron, his Star Wars stuff hasn't been great. There were maybe 2 arcs that were great but that's it and some of it didn't really feel Star Wars-ish.

Liking that picture a lot.

Marquez would have been a great choice for the interiors.

There's a whole lot I want to say here, but wont in case you're not finished.

I read the entire book in one sitting today, had a lot of downtime at work. Overall, I liked it, but I think a lot could have been trimmed from the middle. It's funny that it's called Battlefront since it ties into the game when there is literally one battle in the book - in the first chapter - and the rest is all special ops missions. It actually works really well as a sort of sequel to Rebel Rising, which I wasn't expecting, and even gets nearly as dark as that book but pulls back at the last minute. I have to congratulate the LSG on Mentor's identity.

I'm still waiting for my day-in-the-life-of-a-Stormtrooper-on-the-frontlines book. Maybe for Battlefront III.

Catalyst/Tarkin/Rebel Rising/Guardians of the Whills/Rogue One/A New Hope/Inferno Squad makes for a really interesting and coherent series at this point.

Blimey, you must have had a lot of downtime. Good to hear it's decent though.

A few reviews are up and they're pretty solid too.

Flickering Myth:

Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad is a good introduction to the group we'll know in the video game this fall. The squad is likeable and relatable enough despite being Imperials and Golden does well with the character arcs each is given. She doesn't focus quite as much on the partisans, which causes some occasional mix-ups, but the story is well told with some captivating and tense scenes. Golden's choice to play this as an espionage tale rather than war book also helps Inferno Squad stand out among the pack and adds an unpredictable nature to the story. All in all, Golden definitely makes a very entertaining primer for Battlefront II.

Den of Geek:

It could have been easy to make these characters blind followers of the Empire, but they aren't that, and they aren't misunderstood heroes either. It'll take Battlefront II to show exactly what story Inferno Squad will tell, but my main takeaway from the novel was that it portrays them as people. Iden's drive to be the best - her belief that hope is a desperate resort by people who don't have the skill to outmatch their enemies - makes her characterization clear. The novel wasn't perfect, but definitely made me look forward to the campaign.

New York Daily News:

As with most undercover tales, things get dangerous and exciting quickly. Christie does an excellent job of dialing up the tension — more than in 2015's covert Jedi adventure "Dark Disciple" — with the last fifth of the novel proving particularly gripping.

The book is held back slightly by a few instances of spotty writing and unclear descriptions, but the overall narrative thrust and fascinating character development will keep readers engaged.

sphagnum

Banned
Blimey, you must have had a lot of downtime. Good to hear it's decent though.

It was a 16 hour shift.

I think I'd rank this somewhere in the middle tier. There's a lot in it that will please canon hounds, but the big reveal at the end would definitely be underwhelming for a casual reader, and I think some of the reasoning is convoluted. Currently I think I'd rank the adult novels in this order (excluding adaptations):

GREAT
Bloodline
Catalyst
Twilight Company

GOOD
Life Debt
Empire's End
Thrawn
A New Dawn
Tarkin
Inferno Squad

OK
Dark Disciple
Aftermath
Lords of the Sith

BAD
Heir to the Jedi

It was a 16 hour shift.

I think I'd rank this somewhere in the middle tier. There's a lot in it that will please canon hounds, but the big reveal at the end would definitely be underwhelming for a casual reader, and I think some of the reasoning is convoluted. Currently I think I'd rank the adult novels in this order (excluding adaptations):

GREAT
Bloodline
Catalyst
Twilight Company

GOOD
Life Debt
Empire's End
Thrawn
A New Dawn
Tarkin
Inferno Squad

OK
Dark Disciple
Aftermath
Lords of the Sith

BAD
Heir to the Jedi

That ranking looks pretty spot on from what I've read, though I might have bumped Life Debt up to 'Great' as I enjoyed it the most out of the Aftermath trilogy.

I'm still planning on reading Twilight Company and Dark Disciple, but I don't think I'll bother with Heir to the Jedi. Nobody has been singing that book's praises.

Hello, I like Star Wars and talking about Star Wars so I will probably post in here sometimes.

I'm looking at getting into the new comic books. Should I just start at the beginning of the new Marvel run and work my way through or are there some I should skip? I've heard good things about the Darth Vader series and Dr. Aphra so I definitely want to read those, but I don't want to skip over important stuff.

It was a 16 hour shift.

GREAT
Bloodline
Catalyst
Twilight Company

GOOD
Life Debt
Empire's End
Thrawn
A New Dawn
Tarkin
Inferno Squad

OK
Dark Disciple
Aftermath
Lords of the Sith

BAD
Heir to the Jedi

Now wait a se...actually, this is pretty much my list too. I'd put Twilight Company at the very top, but that's a minor flip.

sphagnum

Banned
Hello, I like Star Wars and talking about Star Wars so I will probably post in here sometimes.

I'm looking at getting into the new comic books. Should I just start at the beginning of the new Marvel run and work my way through or are there some I should skip? I've heard good things about the Darth Vader series and Dr. Aphra so I definitely want to read those, but I don't want to skip over important stuff.

If you're a canon nut, read all of it. The new canon tends to integrate everything so that even minor things pop up in other novels or comics, so unless you read it all you will miss stuff. But if not and you just want the best, I'd focus on both Darth Maul series, both Darth Vader series, Kanan, the main SW series up through the Rebel Jail arc, Doctor Aphra, Han Solo, Lando, and Shattered Empire.

Welcome! I'd start with the first trades of Star Wars and Vader if I were you. They overlap a bit at times and eventually cross over in Vader Down. Check out Lando if you're after a good mini-series to start off with.

Thanks guys! I'll go ahead and start from the beginning. I'm looking at the collected hardcovers (because I need that shit on my shelf) so I'll go ahead and order Star Wars Vol 1 (Issues 1-12). And then Vader Vol 1 (Issues 1-12) next?

It seems kinda confusing since Vader Vol 2 looks like a random collection of stuff that includes the Star Wars, Vader Down, and Vader series. Am I gonna be skipping around if I go this route or should I just go Star Wars 1 -> Vader 1 -> Vader 2 -> Star Wars 2?

Release order was Vader OHC1, Star Wars OHC1, Vader OHC2, Star Wars OHC2, IIRC. I guess the content reflects that since the Star Wars OHC line omits the crossover issues from the Star Wars series.

Big One

Banned
Caught up with the comics (not ALL, just the main ones). I stopped at Vader Down and picked things up from there. Some thoughts:

Star Wars - It was ok...but goddamn is the art bad. The Rebel Jail storyline was cool until the ending, and the Screaming Citadel storyline was the same way, lol. What's with these underwhelming endings? I guess they have to play it safe. Also did everyone just forget about C3P0 or something? The Scar Squadron is pretty badass either way and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action more.

Darth Vader (2015) - Shared a lot of the wonky art with the main Star Wars comic, but I thought it was ok. Had some cool twists here-and-there and I'm satisfied with how it ended by and large. Doctor Aphra getting on the Emperor's good side was funny.

Doctor Aphra - Outside of the Screaming Citadel storyline, I enjoyed this one a lot. Art was good, and enjoyed the character development Doctor Aphra got and am loving the current arc so far. Aphra is developing an interesting group of characters for her cause, which makes me wonder what it's all leading up too. I just hope they don't go the easy route that Disney Star Wars has been going lately to explain why she isn't in the movies and kill her off too soon.

Darth Vader (2017) - Enjoyed this one a lot as well. If they can continue at a pace like this, I could see this era of Darth Vader's history lasting a very long time in this comic. Really hope this comic eventually explores the actual transition from the Clone Wars era tech to the Empire era tech.

Still need to read a few of the mini-series I missed.

sphagnum

Banned
Thanks guys! I'll go ahead and start from the beginning. I'm looking at the collected hardcovers (because I need that shit on my shelf) so I'll go ahead and order Star Wars Vol 1 (Issues 1-12). And then Vader Vol 1 (Issues 1-12) next?

It seems kinda confusing since Vader Vol 2 looks like a random collection of stuff that includes the Star Wars, Vader Down, and Vader series. Am I gonna be skipping around if I go this route or should I just go Star Wars 1 -> Vader 1 -> Vader 2 -> Star Wars 2?

Theres some skipping around involved.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

Sayers

It was a 16 hour shift.

GREAT
Bloodline
Catalyst
Twilight Company

GOOD
Life Debt
Empire's End
Thrawn
A New Dawn
Tarkin
Inferno Squad

OK
Dark Disciple
Aftermath
Lords of the Sith

BAD
Heir to the Jedi

I'd throw Ahsoka into the 'OK' category. Didn't hate it but it was pretty forgettable.

sphagnum

Banned
I'd throw Ahsoka into the 'OK' category. Didn't hate it but it was pretty forgettable.

Ahsoka, Lost Stars, and Rebel Rising fall into the young adult category, so I didn't include them.

But Lost Stars is better than half the things on the adult list.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Caught up with the comics (not ALL, just the main ones). I stopped at Vader Down and picked things up from there. Some thoughts:

Star Wars - ... Also did everyone just forget about C3P0 or something?

nah, everyone remembers to have him dismembered during every adventure

RyanW

I've been catching up on my backlog of books before I hit up Inferno Squad, and all the other stuff later in the year. Just finished up Bloodline and really enjoyed the Politics behind it and the founding of the Resistance. I wish they touched on more of this in TFA but I assume(hopefully) TLJ might cover some of it to get rid of the idea that Resistance/FO is just a Galactic Civil War rehash.

Technically she is though I haven't played it.

K7oPnwv%2B-%2BImgur.gif

Would be awesome if we got an "EU" update for Battlefront 2 and Aphra was one of the heroes.

Malyse

Man, I expect someone to betray Inferno Squad and/or die in this book, but I truly hope it's not Seyn. I want her in the game. I'm thinking Jasika Nicole could be a good Seyn.

Malyse

Man, I'm almost more excited for Battlefront 2 than The Last Jedi. Just finished Inferno Squad.

And I want to reiterate how much I love Seyn.

sphagnum

Banned
Man, I'm almost more excited for Battlefront 2 than The Last Jedi. Just finished Inferno Squad.

And I want to reiterate how much I love Seyn.

I feel like if this was done by Rebel Rising's author, they would have just
flat out carried out the school children bombing

Top Bottom