• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

kevin1025

Banned
https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/891024564813254657
86cZwcP.png

I'm glad Bradford Young didn't end up leaving, thought he might. Also, kills me that the most official stuff we've seen of this movie is all thanks to Ron Howard's twitter account.

I'm loving how open Howard is being with shots and set-ups. Really nice to see the process, even in just an occasional snapshot.

Woorloog

Banned
Pablo Hidalgo? What's wrong with his stuff?

(I've long since stopped remembering who's behind what when it comes SW EU, old or new.)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pablo Hidalgo? What's wrong with his stuff?

(I've long since stopped remembering who's behind what when it comes SW EU, old or new.)

Everything, Pablo is a crazy man who doesn't think Ezra is Snoke. He also likes Transformers and draws them 24/7.

SpaceWolf

Banned
My parents ordered Rogue One on an online rental service, based on the fact the film apparently found its way onto some "Best Film of the Year" list and they just got around to watching it.

Let me tell you people, man knows no task more hellish than having to explain what kyber crystals are to two people who haven't thought about Star Wars since the 70s.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
My parents ordered Rogue One on an online rental service, based on the fact the film apparently found its way onto some "Best Film of the Year" list and they just got around to watching it.

Let me tell you people, man knows no task more hellish than having to explain what kyber crystals are to two people who haven't thought about Star Wars since the 70s.

My parents have re-watched Star Wars way more than I have -- before I was born even -- and they were just as confused about the crystals.

Einchy

My parents have re-watched Star Wars way more than I have -- before I was born even -- and they were just as confused about the crystals.

Do they never say the crystals are what power the lightsabers in the movie? I feel like Jyn says that at some point.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"What's that planet?"
"That's the Death Star, mother"
"What's a Death Star?"
"It's a weapon of the Empire. It can blow up planets, mother."
"What's the Empire?"
"They're an...they're an evil dictatorship that rule the galaxy, mother"
"The one that killed that little girl at the beginning? The one who's father was the science man?"
"No, what...? That...she lived! That little girl lived!"
"But I thought the lead character's child died?"
"The lead character was that child, mother. She's grown up now. She wasn't the wife."
"What happened to the wife, then?"
"She died.. She was killed. You watched her get kil-"
"WHY IS PETER CUSHING IN THIS FILM?! PETER CUSHING IS DEAD!"
"They...they resurrected him with CGI, father"
"WHY?!"
"Because....because...."
"What's that planet he's standing in?"
"What's a Death Star?"

Einchy

"What's that planet?"
"What's a Death Star?"
"What's the Empire?"
"The one that killed that little girl at the beginning? The one who's father was the science man?"
"The lead character was that child, mother. She's grown up now. She wasn't the wife."
"WHY?!"
"Because....because...."
"What's a Death Star?"

me irl when watching anything with my sister.

It feels some people are just illiterate when it comes to the language of cinema.

"What's that planet?"
"What's a Death Star?"
"What's the Empire?"
"WHY?!"
"Because....because...."
"What's a Death Star?"

I watched Inception with my dad once. Never again.

MMarston

You know what's funny?

Shin Godzilla, which is the biggest, most convoluted exposition dump of the movie I saw in 2016 (still really liked it though) was probably the best movie my parents saw in the last few months according to them.

This coming from my mom who would ask questions non-stop in any non-theatre environment.

Ezalc

"What's that planet?"
"What's a Death Star?"
"What's the Empire?"
"WHY?!"
"Because....because...."
"What's a Death Star?"

You call your parents mother and father instead of mom and dad?

Rootbeer

Banned
A lot of The Last Jedi books are for pre-order on amazon. I like to get my order in early because of the pre-order price guarantee. Sadly, the "Art of" TLJ book is not up yet.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections

Star Wars The Last Jedi The Visual Dictionary

Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force

There's also several upcoming novels and comic TPBs coming up.

The lightsaber book should be interesting. With Pablo involved I'm sure he'll pack it full of lots of new details.

Ezalc

No. I was doing the Norman Bates thing for comedic purposes. I hoped that was clear, but clearly it was an improvisational gambit too far.

Oh ok.

I don't know man, there are some people who might so I asked. It does sound weird every time I see it though.

You know what's funny?

Shin Godzilla, which is the biggest, most convoluted exposition dump of the movie I saw in 2016 (still really liked it though) was probably the best movie my parents saw in the last few months according to them.

This coming from my mom who would ask questions non-stop in any non-theatre environment.
A lot of people like Shin.

MMarston

Hm, an entry level assistant position just opened up at one of the ILM studios here and I might fit the bill

tumblr_mxv609d43y1t6133fo1_500.gif

i won't be your next Whitta, GAF

Malyse

I hate how much of a mess the Star Wars books are, specifically when it comes to the YA and kids versions. For example,
latest

latest

Ezra's Gamble? New original novel set before Rebels begins. The Rebellion Begins? Adapted from the show and covered events shown there. So you would hope that at least all the novels that cover new ground would say something like "Original Novel" on the cover right?
latest

NOPE. I also wish Amazon would just let you get notifications when something came out without preordering it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yay

Art of The Last Jedi book is for pre-order now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1419727052/?tag=neogaf0e-20
LTTP, but the Uprising game script is complete. Or at least Version 1 is.
Miss this game. :( Wish they had continued to improve and expand it instead of abandoning it so fast.
I dunno.

I'd kill for that Jar Jar movie at least.
Not worth committing such a crime... he already got a pretty fitting outcome in a recent novel
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-aftermath-jar-binks-empire-end/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Hm, an entry level assistant position just opened up at one of the ILM studios here and I might fit the bill

tumblr_mxv609d43y1t6133fo1_500.gif

i won't be your next Whitta, GAF

Is it actually full-time or just a temp/contract spot?

If you manage to get in on the ground floor, you can advance reasonably well up the ranks. Senior positions down the road though are very hard to breakthrough given all the long timers there, but otherwise they're pretty good at advancing their own along with training. Also expect long hours at times and below average pay, though full-time benefits are likely still pretty good. In any case, always a good look to the ol' resume/CV at the very least.

Do it! We need someone on the inside!

MMarston will be our inside man, he will give us all the leaks via PM.

lol, you'd still not get much info either way.

MMarston

Is it actually full-time or just a temp/contract spot?

If you manage to get in on the ground floor, you can advance reasonably well up the ranks. Senior positions down the road though are very hard to breakthrough given all the long timers there, but otherwise they're pretty good at advancing their own along with training. Also expect long hours at times and below average pay, though full-time benefits are likely still pretty good. In any case, always a good look to the ol' resume/CV at the very least.
It's a production assistant position, so basically just a lot (ie. shit ton of) of administrative things and basic technical assistance, plus running around yelling at people and reviewing shots I guess. Doesn't explicitly say if its a temp or perm though, oddly enough.

That said, after looking at my current CV, I don't think I may be a qualified as I initially thought. I mean, I definitely have a corresponding degree, but the nature of the actual work experience I have is a bit of a stretch in terms of compatibility.

lol, you'd still not get much info either way.

This is also true. If I get hired, I'm most likely never gonna bring it up ever again haha.

Hell, I'm sure just blabbing about it here right now affects my hiring chances.

curb

Banned
This is also true. If I get hired, I'm most likely never gonna bring it up ever again haha.

I'm sure none of us in this thread would actually expect you'd leak info but I wouldn't admit to it if I got the job because inevitably someone around GAF would end up harassing you for scoops.

MMarston

I'm sure none of us in this thread would actually expect you'd leak info but I wouldn't admit to it if I got the job because inevitably someone around GAF would end up harassing you for scoops.

I WILL HAVE EXCLUSIVE INFO ON THE MUCH ANTICIPATED STRANGE MAGIC 2.

Malyse

It's a production assistant position, so basically just a lot (ie. shit ton of) of administrative things and basic technical assistance, plus running around yelling at people and reviewing shots I guess. Doesn't explicitly say if its a temp or perm though, oddly enough.

That said, after looking at my current CV, I don't think I may be a qualified as I initially thought. I mean, I definitely have a corresponding degree, but the nature of the actual work experience I have is a bit of a stretch in terms of compatibility.

Hell, I'm sure just blabbing about it here right now affects my hiring chances.

I would try to get you to slip pitches on people's desks a la Uprising the Audio Drama.

Top Bottom