• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, like, what of Kylo, Luke, and Rey are effectively taking the place of these three?

I kinda wish these dudes wouldn't be canon cus they're way too goofy.

[edit]

Granted, I doubt they will ever show up again so it doesn't really matter.

Guy.brush

So again-- what went wrong here? I think that's the question on Luke's mind, and his journey and exile to Ach-To is going to shed some light on it.

But isn't it obvious what went wrong with Kylo?
Snoke was seducing him basically from birth. How is this making the ways of the Jedi irrelevant? Wouldn't Luke be better served searching for that fucker and bring an end to that dark sider?

I don't see this as very Luke at all. He was the one that rushed off proactively to confront the dark side without proper training and won by tapping into his feelings. And now he wants to be Mr. Passive and study and study the journal of the Whills to do what? To find a way so younglings are not seceptive to seduction by the dark side anymore?
I really hope they bring this across as believable. Does Luke know Snoke was preying on Kylo the whole time or is it all a big misunderstanding on Luke's part?
Like "Oh I thought Kylo went dark side cause I told him he can't marry and have attachments" and Rey is like "doh, Snoke whispered into Kylo's ears since Leia almost bled to death at childbirth because of those ears"

Boem

So, like, what of Kylo, Luke, and Rey are effectively taking the place of these three?

God I hated that entire thing. Putting what is more-or-less God into Star Wars is totally the wrong way to do some episodes that deal with the mystical side of this universe for me. Super on the nose and way too cheesy.

Actually I hope Luke finds an old Jedi book that says "THE CHOSEN ONE LEGEND IS PURE BULLSHIT". The whole Force-Jesus thing was stupid.

I don't think it's stupid per se, but I would also be down with this. It's why I'm so intrigued by what's in that damn book in the teaser. That's the cover of the book that will explain everything. It'd be neat if JJ and Kasdan actually came up with the contents of that book while writing VII, or at least the story group. Like a thing that they can make be the referential point of the new trilogy. Whatever's in that book is what Luke is going to try and follow, and that's kinda major.

But isn't it obvious what went wrong with Kylo?
Snoke was seducing him basically from birth. How is this making the ways of the Jedi irrelevant? Wouldn't Luke be better served searching for that fucker and bring an end to that dark sider?

There's something else though: that may be true, but regardless Luke will still consider it as a massive failure and he could be after more answers than just what went wrong with Kylo specifically. Like Snoke just comes out of nowhere and caused everything to shit the bed. This may be bigger than Kylo or even Snoke's influences.

I don't see this as very Luke at all. He was the one that rushed off proactively to confront the dark side without proper training and won by tapping into his feelings. And now he wants to be Mr. Passive and study and study the journal of the Whills to do what? To find a way so younglings are not seceptive to seduction by the dark side anymore?

I mean, maybe. What he did was still wonky territory and he's matured decades since that moment. Now he's in charge of crafting a new order, and that's a major responsibility.

He's out for more knowledge, not necessarily on the island going "oh why oh why did Kylo do that, I fucked up :( "

LosDaddie

Banned
You guys really think anything from the Prequels will be mentioned in this new trilogy? I seriously doubt it.

that's a non-sequitur.

It obviously bothers you on some level because you consistently bring the shit up unprovoked and completely aside from whatever the current topic is.

Emoji + non-sequitur doesn't erase the transparency of your concern (trolling)

Nice edit, and please keep up with the projection of my emotions. It's part of what makes these thread fun.

How many times does it need to be disproven that Lucasfilm wants to ignore the existence of the prequels?

I thought the Chosen One was confirmed as Anakin in The Clone Wars?
In all technicality Anakin's abilities confirmed to The Father that he was the Chosen One - The Father could have been wrong as well. Though if you go by the fan theory that everything that the events on Mortis didn't literally happen and it was all a manifestation of the Force, then that would seem unlikely.

Gotchaye

I hope they 'll scrap that . I hate all about this " prophecy". It has never made any sense to me.

I mean, it's a little hard to see why you'd mention it at all if you're writing these new movies. Either it was dumb all along and you're just going to ignore it or it turned out to be Anakin after all and it's over and done with.

Einchy

A chapter in the Jedi book will be titled "We's guys fuck" and it'll just be a link to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wG71gxrvE
You guys really think anything from the Prequels will be mentioned in this new trilogy? I seriously doubt it.

This idea that LucasFilm ignores the prequels isn't reflective of reality. TFA already referenced them, Darth Vader's whole castle in Rogue One was from a prequel location, and they're constantly brought up in other media.

Emarv

The Clones were mentioned in Rogue One (along with Organa). They're not against prequel stuff but it's been so far removed that they probably won't just because there's no story need.

Of all the crappy Snoke theories, Snoke being Maul is the only one I could kind of entertain because he's the one thing I think endures from the Prequels for the general masses. They may not know his name, but they know his face. Also, I just want to hear Duel of the Fates one last time :p

Yes, and Lucasfilm's story group and many more working there still were heavily involved with the prequels.

Rebels, a running show, has plenty of prequel elements. A lot of people dislike them, but a lot of people grew up with them that do like them, and they're always going to be canon.

The Clones were mentioned in Rogue One (along with Organa). They're not against prequel stuff but it's been so far removed that they probably won't just because there's no story need.

Of all the crappy Snoke theories, Snoke being Maul is the only one I could kind of entertain because he's the one thing I think endures from the Prequels for the general masses. They may not know his name, but they know his face. Also, I just want to hear Duel of the Fates one last time :p
He's not Maul because
Maul is dead dead.

Also, Maul wouldn't entertain his apprentice being obsessed with a Sith Lord.

I mean, it's a little hard to see why you'd mention it at all if you're writing these new movies. Either it was dumb all along and you're just going to ignore it or it turned out to be Anakin after all and it's over and done with.

The only way I see the "prophecy" coming up is if the Journals that Luke has on his shelf specifically debunk them, and that ends up coming to bear on why (among other reasons) he thinks the Order as it once stood needs to be severely rethought.

i.e. "Look at this. Look at what this says. Now look at how we interpreted it for centuries. Look at what it did. Look at what it's still doing. Enough of this."

Einchy

[REBELS SPOILER]
I don't think they'd be able to retcon his death in Rebels
I believe Sam Witwer talked about not knowing what happened to his legs.

Maybe that can be a whole new storyarc, those legs are probably up to no good.

The only way I see the "prophecy" coming up is if the Journals that Luke has on his shelf specifically debunk them, and that ends up coming to bear on why (among other reasons) he thinks the Order as it once stood needs to be severely rethought.

Yeah. So eager to find out what they came up with.

In regards to Maul, he's been dead since Kenobi cut him in-fucking-half and both halves of his body plummeted what looked like an endless amount of feet down a shaft. His inclusion in Clone Wars and Rebels is the worst kind of fan service.

It's cute how that happens to him in TPM, but
in Rebels he dies from a simple stab wound
LOL

Darth Maul should have been a consistent villain in the prequels. He killed Qui Gon which makes him a great trigger for Obi Wan and Anakin's anger. Which would make Anakin killing him for the Emperor more meaningful in RoTS

Oh what could have been!

Sephzilla

Yeah. So eager to find out what they came up with.

In regards to Maul, he's been dead since Kenobi cut him in-fucking-half and both halves of his body plummeted what looked like an endless amount of feet down a shaft. His inclusion in Clone Wars and Rebels is the worst kind of fan service.

Clone Wars and Rebels Maul is way better than TPM Maul though.

Darth Maul should have been a consistent villain in the prequels. He killed Qui Gon which makes him a great trigger for Obi Wan and Anakin's anger. Which would make Anakin killing him for the Emperor more meaningful in RoTS

I'm with you here. Scrap Count Dooku entirely and make Maul the guy who eventually gets replaced by Vader

Loris146

Yeah i hope they will ignore it. Vader for me is just a ( fucking cool ) bad guy with mystical powers . In the prequels Anakin is a new Jesus or something like that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope they 'll scrap that . I hate all about this " prophecy". It has never made any sense to me.

If they ever use the words 'chosen one' or 'prophecy' again then I'll knock over a magazine rack.

Emarv

I always thought Lucas' insistence to bring back Maul was a partial admission that he didn't develop him like he had wanted to in TPM and wanted to go back and correct that. Especially after fans kind of embraced him even with zero characterization in TPM mainly based on looks and the fight.

Einchy

I always thought Lucas' insistence to bring back Maul was a partial admission that he didn't develop him like he had wanted to in TPM and wanted to go back and correct that. Especially after fans kind of embraced him even with zero characterization in TPM mainly based on looks and the fight.

I'd say they redeemed him since the best stuff in TCW and Rebels involve him.

This reminds me, I gotta read that Son of Dathomir comic eventually.

Emarv

Clone Wars and Rebels Maul is way better than TPM Maul though.

I'm with you here. Scrap Count Dooku entirely and make Maul the guy who eventually gets replaced by Vader
100%

Rebels Maul even says something like this. Something like "Vader is who I was supposed to be".

Sephzilla

Surviving being cut in half where the two halves fall down and endless chute to be brought back in a TV series with a dumbass explanation only for him to die by Kenobi's hand again from a single stab wound is pretty stupid to me.

You know who else fell down a near endless chute only to survive?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Also,
how he ultimately loses to Kenobi was fucking awesome.
Honestly I think Anakin surviving his wounds is just as ridiculous as Maul, all things considered.

As far as movies are concerned, Maul has been dead since TPM. I don't mean that in the sense that the TV shows and comics aren't canon, but in the sense that it would be too difficult to satisfyingly work him into the films without feeling forced or confusing general audiences. The Obi-Wan movie was the only chance for that we had and even then it would be just right, and now it's too late for that. There's not really any real reason for it to happen anyway.

Regarding his revival in Clone Wars, yeah, it was fan-service. Lucas wanted him dead but eventually relented to fan demands. But fan-servicey as it was to do, ultimately it yielded an excellent character with some wonderful story arcs across two shows, so it was worthwhile in the end. But it's also a trick that can only be done once.

I mean, it does take a bit of a logical leap to buy into the idea that he survived but everything after that is so fucking good.

For me, more than a "bit" :p

Maybe it's where I don't hate TPM and I thought his death was fucking rad. The dumb resurrection for me waters down one of my favorite things about TPM.

I'm not even going to point out the difference :p

edit: I caused all of this shit, guys, and I'm sorry.

Emarv

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Also,
how he ultimately loses to Kenobi was fucking awesome.
Also the Emperor was thrown down a deep hole and "supposedly" died.

But where's the proof? Show me Sheev's body! Convince me Snoke isn't Sheev hiding spider legs under there!

Daemul

Yeah, no, fuck the Chosen One shit, let it stay dead with Anakin. I'm fairly confident that it won't be mentioned in the upcoming movies, the storyline has run its damn course.

Loris146

Why do you care about Maul? I only saw The Clone Wars and the
fight with Palpa was cool
but that's it. It's a "nice looking" character but with 0 motivations , background whatsoever .I don't know what happens in Rebels though.

That the camera follows one of them and the other doesn't?

Okay, fine.

Luke went down the shaft in one piece (well, missing a hand) and we saw how the device essentially "scooped" him up at the bottom which led to a waterslide. Maul was cut clean in half before falling so even if there was a waterslide at the bottom, it makes no sense for him to survive at all.

Why do you care about Maul? I only saw The Clone Wars and the
fight with Palpa was cool
but that's it. It's a "nice looking" character but with 0 motivations , background whatsoever .
I don't know what happens in Rebels though

The bolded contradict each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom