• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just confused by the dismissal of it compared to other films/filmmaker decisions. We like the guy so "hey, if he says so..."?

But fuck me if Trevorrow messes with anything, we'll have his head.

Edit:
I am not Trevorrow posting my jealousy towards Rian...

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm just confused by the dismissal of it compared to other films/filmmaker decisions. We like the guy so "hey, if he says so..."?

But fuck me if Trevorrow messes with anything, we'll have his head.

I think "messes" is the wrong word here, Rian hasn't messed anything by changing the position of a scar. It really doesn't matter.

Like someone said earlier, the Stormtroopers have a slightly different design, and it doesn't matter. Darth Vader changed suits in each movie and it doesn't really matter.

It's almost as if it's a superficial tweak that doesn't matter at all.
It could have. Imagine him now having a reason for a mask and the impact of seeing it off for the first time. Or imagine he proudly shows it because "darkside woes".

But now it's just a cool little "chicks dig scars" thing and makes that Rey attack "superficial" as you say lol.

rekameohs

Banned
tbh this has me even more excited than that
tumblr_inline_mte3one1R91rbrja2.gif
That wasn't Fly! That was Gliding Over All (season 5). 😜Shows that Walt doesn't care about the contamination anymore and nonchalantly
orders the deaths of 10 people
that episode.

This is Fly (Rian's ep), where the contamination is directly affecting him.
FLY.jpg

Surfinn

That wasn't Fly! That was Gliding Over All (season 5). 😜Shows that Walt doesn't care about the contamination anymore and nonchalantly
that episode.

FLY.jpg
Yeah that episode was great

that episode.

FLY.jpg
Dammit, you're right lol. Looked up "Breaking Bad Fly GIF" and just nabbed the first I saw lol

rekameohs

Banned
Dammit, you're right lol. Looked up "Breaking Bad Fly GIF" and just nabbed the first I saw lol
That episode, however, was directed by the awesome Michelle MacLaren, who also would kick ass directing a big blockbuster. She was signed to direct Wonder Woman but left due to creative differences, because y'know.... DC / Warner Bros.

Was talking to a someone at a bar last night and he didn't know who Han Solo/Harrison Ford was. I didn't know this was legitimately possible. He knew Chewbacca though. But-- again how

Kyoufu

Was talking to a someone at a bar last night and he didn't know who Han Solo/Harrison Ford was. I didn't know this was legitimately possible. He knew Chewbacca though. But-- again how

Brandon in Snoke's voice: "Han...Solo..."

Dude at the bar in Kylo Ren's voice: "He means nothing to me..."

Look at this Disney-committee-focused-tested fuck.
l4TIUoK.png

A summation of people that just want to pull shit from their assholes so they can be negative on the internet.

Brandon in Snoke's voice: "Han...Solo..."

Dude at the bar in Kylo Ren's voice: "He means nothing to me..."

I'm still befuddled by it all. I get not caring about SW or knowing everything but a 20 something American guy that doesn't know who Harrison Ford is?

Arttemis

He announced, via megaphone, that he would be personally walking through the line of people waiting overnight to get into TLJ panel and meeting every single one of them. There were people posting in the celebration thread that they met him and got his autograph. Brandon was one.

No matter what happens with TLJ, he's earned a shit ton of my respect for that act alone.
That's absolutely awesome.

That's absolutely awesome.

He got there a bit after 11pm and stayed until close to 4am, even with the panel in the morning. Not only was that so cool, but by that time, you know, everyone was exhausted and we had to be in line really early to even have a chance to get in. It was about that time that he came in where I was like Jesus, gonna be here another 12 hours before it starts with virtually no sleep (I had nodded off a few times for like... seconds) but he came in and announced that, so yeah everyone was pretty wide awake at that point.

So instead of just being bored and tired and pretty much miserable, his meet and greet made it go by a lot faster and everyone was reeling from it well into daybreak lol. When he first came in there was obviously cheers and a mob that flocked to him, and someone told me it was Warwick Davis-- which would have been okay but I've met that dude like a thousand times already and he's at pretty much everything. Then I heard someone say it was Rian. But, I thought eh he's just passing by, probably won't even be able to see him with the hundreds surrounding him.

Few minutes later people were coming by saying that he was going to meet everyone there and I'm just like yeah there's 3,000 people here, not happening.

I was wearing a Last Jedi shirt and he said "hey man, really like that shirt."

GhaleonEB

He got there a bit after 11pm and stayed until close to 4am, even with the panel in the morning. Not only was that so cool, but by that time, you know, everyone was exhausted and we had to be in line really early to even have a chance to get in. It was about that time that he came in where I was like Jesus, gonna be here another 12 hours before it starts with virtually no sleep (I had nodded off a few times for like... seconds) but he came in and announced that, so yeah everyone was pretty wide awake at that point.

So instead of just being bored and tired and pretty much miserable, his meet and greet made it go by a lot faster and everyone was reeling from it well into daybreak lol. When he first came in there was obviously cheers and a mob that flocked to him, and someone told me it was Warwick Davis-- which would have been okay but I've met that dude like a thousand times already and he's at pretty much everything. Then I heard someone say it was Rian. But, I thought eh he's just passing by, probably won't even be able to see him with the hundreds surrounding him.

Few minutes later people were coming by saying that he was going to meet everyone there and I'm just like yeah there's 3,000 people here, not happening.

I was wearing a Last Jedi shirt and he said "hey man, really like that shirt."

I heard about this yesterday and read about it. For some reason I didn't think he'd actually stayed and gone through the whole line. But he did. Fucking amazing.

Some video and an article about it for those that don't know:

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/14/the...ashes-overnight-line-at-star-wars-convention/

tci

Lol... He lost against Rey...
Are people still at a lost to why he lost? Or is this just a continuous joke?

Throughout TFA it is pretty clear that Kylo Ren is an emotional force user. When he is in control he shows great powers and abilities. Which is essential to the force in most cases. Though at some parts it also shows greater powers from using emotions. But this seems limited to awareness of those emotions. Kylo Ren is not such a force user, as of TFA.

There are two major factors to why Rey managed to beat Kylo. Those two are the powerful blaster shot from Chewbacca to his abdomen, and that Kylo was in an emotional state due to him killing off his father.

Rey on the other hand is not a powerful force user as of TFA. Though she shows to use it in emotional scenes. To me that seems to relate (hah) to Luke how he used it to defeat his father in RotJ (point about awareness of it). In addition Rey have well developed fighting skills. Mostly because of dealing with scum etc in her home planet. Plus she begins to realize her force connection. With Rey snabbing the saber and Kylo reminded her of the force in front of the cliff.

So yes, Rey beat Kylo in an unfair duel were Kylo otherwise would have won.

Kyoufu

Are people still at a lost to why he lost? Or is this just a continuous joke?

Throughout TFA it is pretty clear that Kylo Ren is an emotional force user. When he is in control he shows great powers and abilities. Which is essential to the force in most cases. Though at some parts it also shows greater powers from using emotions. But this seems limited to awareness of those emotions. Kylo Ren is not such a force user, as of TFA.

There are two major factors to why Rey managed to beat Kylo. Those two are the powerful blaster shot from Chewbacca to his abdomen, and that Kylo was in an emotional state due to him killing off his father.

Rey on the other hand is not a powerful force user as of TFA. Though she shows to use it in emotional scenes. To me that seems to relate (hah) to Luke how he used it to defeat his father in RotJ (point about awareness of it). In addition Rey have well developed fighting skills. Mostly because of dealing with scum etc in her home planet. Plus she begins to realize her force connection. With Rey snabbing the saber and Kylo reminded her of the force in front of the cliff.

So yes, Rey beat Kylo in an unfair duel were Kylo otherwise would have won.

I think they could have done more to highlight his unstable emotions in the duel. His emotions handicapping him never really crossed my mind tbh.

DeanBDean

I think they could have done more to highlight his unstable emotions in the duel. His emotions handicapping him never really crossed my mind tbh.

They do however work very hard to establish how powerful Chewie's bowcaster is so that the audience will believe his injury to be significant

Einchy

He just killed his dad and the first time we see him, he's covered in sweat, bleeding all over the place and looking deranged. Not really sure what else they could've done to show he wasn't at the best place emotionally and physically aside from him just saying, "yo, just look at me, I'm all kinds of fucked up".

Surfinn

You don't think him saying "I'm being torn apart.. I know what I need to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it" reflects his emotional condition? It was telegraphed in the film. After he kills Han, he's got a look on his face like "I've made a huge mistake"

Boem

He just killed his dad and the first time we see him, he's covered in sweat, bleeding all over the place and looking deranged. Not really sure what else they could've done to show he wasn't at the best place emotionally and physically aside from him just saying, "yo, just look at me, I'm all kinds of fucked up".

Yeah the Kylo/Han scene was all sorts of fucked up and definitely an experience that dictated how the audience should see Kylo in anything following that moment. That moment isn't there just so Harrison Ford can retire, it has an influence on everybody, including (most importantly?) Kylo.

Einchy

You don't think him saying "I'm being torn apart.. I know what I need to do but I don't know if I have the strength to do it" reflects his emotional condition? It was telegraphed in the film. After he kills Han, he's got a look on his face like "I've made a huge mistake"
Dude is actually tearing up throughout the seen, too. Great acting from Adam Driver there.

Kyoufu

I meant during the duel itself. He only had a "I'm going to kill you" look aside from trying to get Rey to join him.

Only part that made me think he was at a disadvantage was when he was smacking his wound to shake the pain away, but emotionally I never really got the impression he was struggling in that fight itself.

Surfinn

Dude is actually tearing up throughout the seen, too. Great acting from Adam Driver there.
I just watched TFA last night. Yup, can reconfirm that he acts his ass off in that scene.

I meant during the duel itself. He only had a "I'm going to kill you" look aside from trying to get Rey to join him.

Only part that made me think he was at a disadvantage was when he was beating his wound to shake the pain away, but emotionally I never really got the impression he was struggling in that fight itself.
But they just set up how unstable he is right before the fight. He's clearly an emotional wreck when he confronts Finn and Rey too. He's in a panicked rage because of his confused state. He's screaming at them (traitor!) And just flailing at this point. He's STILL having an internal struggle.. Rey and Finn both did what he could not: the right thing. Their ability to harness the light side throws him off because he just can't shake those feelings. He's still being seduced, simply by being in their presence.

That's my interpretation of it anyway. But either way, I thought it was very clear that he was a mess, emotionally

Only part that made me think he was at a disadvantage was when he was smacking his wound to shake the pain away, but emotionally I never really got the impression he was struggling in that fight itself.

Not shake the pain away, it's to get your adrenaline going from the pain.

I wonder how Snoke is going to make him feel better about killing his dad.

Monocle

Yeah, but can he come to an already established, great franchise and deliver the best entry it's ever done, in addition to deftly handling its characters' emotional and dramatic climaxes, as well as delivering on the action and bombast we were waiting for????

Oh wait.

Collapse.jpg
Lol, nailed it. I'm not concerned.

Boem

I'm actually curious where they're taking Kylo in the coming movies. I'm sure you guys have discussed this already, but I wonder if a redemption is possible.

In the OT, all we know about Vader is that he's a monster and we only have (lyin') Obi's words that he used to be a good man. Luke was the only one who saw the good in him. Now we have Luke saying that it's time for the Jedi to end - which I see as referring to the moral shortcomings of the Jedi and the simplistic divide between good & evil. There's a line from him redeeming Vader to that point in the TLJ trailer for me.

With Kylo, we've already seen that he's not 100% pure evil. There is an obvious conflict within him. He ends up making the wrong choice in his confrontation with Han, but it's a difficult moment for him, and throughout the entire movie he's fueled by all these frustrated, angry emotions. Not just cold, hard evil.

Obi and Yoda, Luke's mentors in the OT, saw nothing in Vader but an evil for Luke to destroy. Luke saw more. Now Rey sees Kylo as nothing but an evil force, with Luke being the one who has to convince her to look beyond the usual simplistic good/evil dichotomy to be able to save Kylo, rather than destroy him. At least, that's where I'm thinking those themes will lead.

DeanBDean

I just watched TFA last night. Yup, can reconfirm that he acts his ass off in that scene.

That look that Adam does right after Han falls away is so good. It's like he's chewing on what's he done, and I read it like he's expecting a greater emotional release from having done it, and isn't quite feeling it. Top gun actor.

I unfortunately read the Force Awakens novelization, and there was literally only one piece of the novelization that I wish had ended up in the movie. There is one point where Kylo Ren identifies the only thing that Vader failed at was killing his family (his son Luke). Kylo Ren wants to kill Han Solo to prove that he is not only Vader, but better than Vader. I really wish this had made it in, but I do see why it's difficult to place in the film without being obvious foreshadowing. I really hope this sentiment is explored in the Last Jedi.

Surfinn

That look that Adam does right after Han falls away is so good. It's like he's chewing on what's he done, and I read it like he's expecting a greater emotional release from having done it, and isn't quite feeling it. Top gun actor.

I unfortunately read the Force Awakens novelization, and there was literally only one piece of the novelization that I wish had ended up in the movie. There is one point where Kylo Ren identifies the only thing that Vader failed at was killing his family (his son Luke). Kylo Ren wants to kill Han Solo to prove that he is not only Vader, but better than Vader. I really wish this had made it in, but I do see why it's difficult to place in the film without being obvious foreshadowing. I really hope this sentiment is explored in the Last Jedi.
Yeah that's an interesting addition for sure. Seems like they cut a lot from what Kylo and Snoke discuss. I think they're saving a lot of this for EP8.. Yenno when he gets his ass kicked by Snoke for failing so hard.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
For a while now, I have felt as though there is a chance Kylo Ren will be clad all in white robes and stand vigilant in the name of galactic peace at some point further down the line with these movies. Episode X? A spin-off? I don't know. But if he survives the Sequel Trilogy, that's always seemed the likeliest route to me. People generally tell me there's no way, he killed his father, so forth. I just don't see it. I think it'll happen.

Einchy

I don't think Kylo is redeemable and I hope neither Luke or Rey try to redeem him. Even if he begged for forgiveness, I'd hope Luke would deny it.

PUNISHED Luke isn't having none of that.

Boem

I don't think Kylo is redeemable and I hope neither Luke or Rey try to redeem him. Even if he begged for forgiveness, I'd hope Luke would deny it.

Would he though? Vader committed multiple genocides, and Luke was the only one who was able to get him to redeem himself in the end by constantly believing there was still good in him somewhere. I don't think that moment will just be 'the end of Luke's original adventures', but an essential point that will inform his arc into these new movies.

Luke saying that Kylo is irredeemable would mean he has either fallen into the trap of the old PT Jedi, forgotten about that moment with his dad or gone full dark side. None of those options are likely to me.

Surfinn

For a while now, I have felt as though there is a chance Kylo Ren will be clad all in white robes and stand vigilant in the name of galactic peace at some point further down the line with these movies. Episode X? A spin-off? I don't know. But if he survives the Sequel Trilogy, that's always seemed the likeliest route to me. People generally tell me there's no way, he killed his father, so forth. I just don't see it. I think it'll happen.
Well it's certainly possible that he's redeemed but I think that would really negate the narrative established in TFA. The way the bridge scene was set up as the direct inverse of Vader's decision to save Luke.. They were both decisions that changed those characters forever. I thought TFA made a very clear point to go out of its way to tell the audience "this is a decision that send this character down a brand new path that will cement his destiny". That's the way I saw it anyway, because of how deliberately it was filmed to mirror the end of ROTJ.

Lmo911

Kylo killing his parents is a dark reflection on the Jedi philosophy of having "no attachments." That could be an interesting direction to play with..

As for him wearing white robes, I'd prefer if it was done like Commodus in Gladiator. He can try and sell himself as the savior of the galaxy but in the end he's still chasing Vader.

Boem

Well it's certainly possible that he's redeemed but I think that would really negate the narrative established in TFA. The way the bridge scene was set up as the direct inverse of Vader's decision to save Luke.. They were both decisions that changed those characters forever. I thought TFA made a very clear point to go out of its way to tell the audience "this is a decision that send this character down a brand new path that will cement his destiny". That's the way I saw it anyway, because of how deliberately it was filmed to mirror the end of ROTJ.

Good point, perhaps you're right.

Thinking about Luke's role in all of this though, I can't see him every thinking that Kylo is beyond rescue.

Einchy

Would he though? Vader committed multiple genocides, and Luke was the only one who was able to get him to redeem himself in the end by constantly believing there was still good in him somewhere. I don't think that moment will just be 'the end of Luke's original adventures', but an essential point that will inform his arc into these new movies.

Luke saying that Kylo is irredeemable would mean he has either fallen into the trap of the old PT Jedi, forgotten about that moment with his dad or gone full dark side. None of those options are likely to me.

I think Luke's headspace is at a petty different place in this movie that in the OT.

It won't happen, I don't think, but I would hope Luke is utterly ruthless. A Luke that we watch almost thinking he's too ruthless.

Kyoufu

He's definitely redeemable, but he'll have to earn it. After all the terrible things Vader had done during his time with the darkside, he still found redemption by saving his son and defeating the almighty emperor, so there's certainly room for Kylo Ren to do something similar.

And by redemption I don't necessarily mean he'll turn to the light. He could be something in between the light and the dark sides of the force. A true balance. Being seduced by the darkness may not be something he could ever shake off, but instead of trying to fight the eternal conflict within him he could own it and learn to use it to his advantage. /fanfiction

tldr: Vader has done so many bad things, killed so many people and yet he was redeemed. Kylo Ren has a long way to go before he even compares to Vader in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom