• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer it if he could come to an established franchise and just do something really weird and unexpected that's unlike anything else in said franchise. Some might hate it but it'd be worth it.

fly.jpg

MAH MAN

I love this page.

I want all the pages to be this page until December.

You know what page will be the most common one Bobby.

You know it.

Davide

The prequels were fundamentally flawed but I remember the RLM reviews not even raising many good points against them. They didn't deserve the popularity they got.

Surfinn

I love this page.

I want all the pages to be this page until December.
Oh shit..

We get a new Star Wars movie in December
The prequels were fundamentally flawed but I remember the RLM reviews not even raising many good points against them. They didn't deserve the popularity they got.
I feel like they did a great job of summarizing the problems with the PT. But they got bogged down with the shitty serial killer plot and pointless nitpicking

Emarv

I was the perfect age and mindset to get into Plinkett when that first video hit, but even back then I just bounced so hard off those videos. Then I quickly forgot they existed. By the time I heard about them again, the RLM empire had already been formed and their talking points spread all over the web. I'm really proud of teenage me, but man I could see how that stuff would be so easy to parrot. You see this all the time in games with Youtubers/podcasters, too.

Sent Jay Bauman Rian's tweets. Can't wait for the video where they say Rian Johnson is rude to fans just like they think that Ghostbusters movie made the villain an analog for Ghostbusters fans which made Mike Stoklasa sad because he identified with that guy.

I'd prefer it if he could come to an established franchise and just do something really weird and unexpected that's unlike anything else in said franchise. Some might hate it but it'd be worth it.
I really do think we're headed this way. And I'm so damn excited for it.

munchie64

I feel like there's some quite unfair hate on RLM here, but I'm too lazy to bat for them.

I do think their handling of Star Wars has become too concerned with appeasing their kinda shitty viewer base though.

Pizza

I saw the RLM prequel deconstructions awhile ago and liked them: they were heavy handed but I felt like they did a good job pointing out the flaws of the films instead of saying "I hate the prequels" and leaving it at that

Since then I found recuts of those movies that solve most those problems, and I really like them now

I don't agree with their hatred of rogue One considering how much they LOVED TFA. I feel like any of their talking points in regards to R1 are equally valid when applied to TFA. I still found them amusing even if I don't agree.

Also it sounds like some of their R1 beef comes from the fact that they were invited to see it early and give a good review, which obviously rubbed them the wrong way.

Idk why there's a weird R1 blowback though considering it's a pretty good movie
especially when compared to the yearly superhero event

Wait, this is the director of the worst breaking bad episode? Hated that fly episode with a passion.
1) You're a terrible person.
2) Watch that episode again, but pay specific attention to the direction, knowing that he didn't write the the episode. Because even you don't like it, the direction is objectively excellent.

Anyone else think that Snoke might turn up to be on
Mustafar
?
To be opposite of (poetry, lulz) Luke being on an ocean planet?

Roussow

With all this Rian Johnson excitement, I started getting a little nervous about Trevorrow on IX, but while not as an accomplished director as Johnson, I remember Safety Not Guaranteed being really, really good.

With all this Rian Johnson excitement, I started getting a little nervous about Trevorrow on IX, but while not as an accomplished director as Johnson, I remember Safety Not Guaranteed being really, really good.

Well, being humongous blockbuster that he got quite a bit of freedom to do what he wanted with, Jurassic World is probably the better signifier. Soooo...

Buuuut he does have Rian and JJ's two films of directly connected prior work to lean on and a treatment sitting ready for him, as opposed to a half dozen random ideas Spielberg had over the last decade and an otherwise blank slate (outside of the apparently terrible script he basically threw out).

Anyone else think that Snoke might turn up to be on
Mustafar
?
To be opposite of (poetry, lulz) Luke being on an ocean planet?

I don't think we've seen the last of Mustafar, but I'd imagine Kylo being more interested in it than Snoke. Maybe he'll take a trip there at some point.

DeanBDean

1) You're a terrible person.
2) Watch that episode again, but pay specific attention to the direction, knowing that he didn't write the the episode. Because even you don't like it, the direction is objectively excellent.

I agree that Fly is a terrible, terrible episode. I've watched Breaking Bad through at least 8 or 9 times, but I've only watched the Fly episode like twice. It's a really jarringly bad bottle episode.

However, I have said you point number 2 in the past myself. Rian did the best one could do with an absolute shit script.

Ozymandias was the main reason he was hired. His past films were icing on the cake. The Looper screenplay wastes no time and is one the "cleanest" scripts I've read in recent years so he's got the art of writing one mastered.

Jarmel

Banned
old v revision

I wonder if they'll try and explain how it went from a deep scar from forehead to shoulder into a minor facial scar.

Dark syde healing powerz, bacta creme, or director retcon powers?

Bacta tanks are a thing. Luke got pretty banged up in ESB and he looked fine after a night in the tank.

Coffinhal

Look at this Disney-committee-focused-tested fuck.
l4TIUoK.png

Without saying that Disney controls everything (too simple and sutpid), he has lot of constraints in his environment and can't be as free in what he did as in every indie film he made (even in the US with the system where the director has not the final cut etc).

What he says on the matter in 140 characters doesn't say much on the complex authorship of that kind of movie. That'd be a great sociology paper though.

DeanBDean

Without saying that Disney controls everything (too simple and sutpid), he has lot of constraints in his environment and can't be as free in what he did as in every indie film he made (even in the US with the system where the director has not the final cut etc).

What he says on the matter in 140 characters doesn't say much on the complex authorship of that kind of movie. That'd be a great sociology paper though.

So...he's lying? I mean, the tweet is pretty unambiguous

Boem

Remember when the writers of Rogue One were working on what was only the second movie in the return series of one of the biggest, most expensive wide audience family movie series of all time, realized the story demanded they would have to kill all the main characters at the end, thought they'd never get away with it, wrote an alternate, slightly happier ending, and then the higher ups told them to screw that and just do what was best for the story according to the people actually making the movie?

Because that happened. I think people are quick to forget how insane that actually is. Especially if (not actually true of course) a bunch of Disney suits control these things creatively.

Remember when the writers of Rogue One were working on what was only the second movie in the return series of one of the biggest, most expensive wide audience family movies of all time, realized the story demanded they would have to kill all the main characters at the end, thought they'd never get away with it, wrote an alternate, slightly happier ending, and then the higher ups told them to screw that and just do what was best for the story according to the people actually making the movie?

Because that happened. I think people are quick to forget how insane that actually is. Especially if (not actually true of course) a bunch of Disney suits control these things creatively.

There's a reason Lucas picked Disney to sell to. And a lot of it has to do with giving creative minds more control. Like Lasseter (sp?).

Surfinn

What did he do?!
He announced, via megaphone, that he would be personally walking through the line of people waiting overnight to get into TLJ panel and meeting every single one of them. There were people posting in the celebration thread that they met him and got his autograph. Brandon was one.

No matter what happens with TLJ, he's earned a shit ton of my respect for that act alone.

Philippo

So, a few days ago i saw people posting their favourite stills from the saga, is there actually any professional or in depth analysis of the photography of the SW movies? I'd like to see some.

dmshaposv

Yeah, but can he come to an already established, great franchise and deliver the best entry it's ever done, in addition to deftly handling its characters' emotional and dramatic climaxes, as well as delivering on the action and bombast we were waiting for????

Oh wait.

Collapse.jpg

I'm excited for Rian johnson as the director for that one fucking masterpeice of an episode from Breaking Bad. Ozymandias.

rezuth

Of course Disney is going to interfer if they feel like they need to. However I can imagine that Disney doesn't feel the need to do this if they're satisfied with what the man produces.

Surfinn

With one tweet, Rian just handled days of GAF arguments. Dude really is the best.

Welllllllll.....

That didn't take long

Director straight up announces to the world that he has the most creative control he's ever had with ANY FILM while working on TLJ..

"He's lying"

Lol double and triple downs will be rich

Remember when the writers of Rogue One were working on what was only the second movie in the return series of one of the biggest, most expensive wide audience family movie series of all time, realized the story demanded they would have to kill all the main characters at the end, thought they'd never get away with it, wrote an alternate, slightly happier ending, and then the higher ups told them to screw that and just do what was best for the story according to the people actually making the movie?

It was, according to Whitta, even a couple degrees sillier than that: They stopped themselves from writing the ending they thought it needed in the beginning simply because they assumed "Disney" would come down on it, so why waste the time.

It wasn't until they kept getting dissatisfied with the alternatives they were coming up with, that they realized they should try to pitch their original idea to Lucasfilm. At which point Lucasfilm was like (shrug) "Kill them all if that's what this story needs to work."

At which point they were like "Oh. Oh, we could have just started here the whole time.

Surfinn

It was, according to Whitta, even a couple degrees sillier than that: They stopped themselves from writing the ending they thought it needed in the beginning simply because they assumed "Disney" would come down on it, so why waste the time.

It wasn't until they kept getting dissatisfied with the alternatives they were coming up with, that they realized they should try to pitch their original idea to Lucasfilm. At which point Lucasfilm was like (shrug) "Kill them all if that's what this story needs to work."

At which point they were like "Oh. Oh, we could have just started here the whole time.
You're telling me.. They had

CREATIVE CONTROL?

THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! IT WAS WITHIN THEM THE WHOLE TIME.

and yeah, Rian personally spending time (like, 2-3min) w/ every attendee in that panel line (til 3am) was definitely cool.

Surfinn

THEY DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT! IT WAS WITHIN THEM THE WHOLE TIME.

and yeah, Rian personally spending time (like, 2-3min) w/ every attendee in that panel line (til 3am) was definitely cool.
Opposed to George Lucas' jaded THE FILMMAKING INDUSTRY SUX and burning rubber out of there

I feel this is partially related to a point that a lot of casual observers really underestimate what is tolerable and acceptable within Star Wars in terms of storytelling devices.

Like, honestly, what would especially have blocked killing off a cast introduced for a one-off film in a franchise that just killed off one of the central pillars? Where one of the most iconic scenes is a literal death montage? That had a man immolated onscreen?

If there are any lines that one may not be able to cross with this franchise, they are either likely to be thematic in nature - and even that, probably a case by case - or in terms of continuity, since well, that's part of why the LSG exists. But even then, it's become quite apparent their role is more to safeguard what's already established, while if a creator is venturing into uncharted territories, they will stand back and let people do their jobs. Hell, even help if those creators come back to them and ask 'is there anything already established that fits this idea we wanna go with?', which is how Forest Whitaker turns into Saw Gerrara.

So, a few days ago i saw people posting their favourite stills from the saga, is there actually any professional or in depth analysis of the photography of the SW movies? I'd like to see some.

Honestly, I dont' know if there's much in the way of essays/documentaries about the cinematography of the films. There should be, but it's one of the main filmmaking aspects that doesn't really get touched on much at all, and I don't really know why.

Emarv

Welllllllll.....

That didn't take long

Director straight up announces to the world that he has the most creative control he's ever had with ANY FILM while working on TLJ..

"He's lying"

Lol double and triple downs will be rich

Yeah, it's never gonna go away entirely, unfortunately, but I'll take whatever extra ammo I can get. And this is one of the clearest pieces of evidence we're gonna get and is gonna get a lot of use over the next 7 months.

I'm sure that stuff exists out there. Basically every Film Studies course I took in undergrad used Star Wars multiple times. Its visual language, and even its anachronisms, are kind of written into American cinematic language. It's not as fun as a documentary, but i'm sure any Film Theory book you'd pick up would have some Star Wars analysis in it. I'm sure I have some books laying around somewhere with lots of breakdowns.

Yeah, it's never gonna go away entirely, unfortunately, but I'll take whatever extra ammo I can get. And this is one of the clearest pieces of evidence we're gonna get and is gonna get a lot of use over the next 7 months.

I'm sure that stuff exists out there. Basically every Film Studies course I took in undergrad used Star Wars multiple times. Its visual language, and even its anachronisms, are kind of written into American cinematic language. It's not as fun as a documentary, but i'm sure any Film Theory book you'd pick up would have some Star Wars analysis in it. I'm sure I have some books laying around somewhere with lots of breakdowns.
What do you mean by "anachronisms" in regards to the visuals/photography? Curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom