• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Nete

Some guys have developed a 15 mission cooperative campaign for X-wing, to download on PDF. It looks fantastic.

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

CampaignSpread_1000.jpg

ghostmind

Planning out my Force Friday purchases - what retail chains would carry the Force Awakens starter set? I've always bought my X-Wing stuff from online hobby sites, so I don't have a clue about retail availability.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Planning out my Force Friday purchases - what retail chains would carry the Force Awakens starter set? I've always bought my X-Wing stuff from online hobby sites, so I don't have a clue about retail availability.

Target and Barnes & Noble. That's it as far as I know. Don't think Walmart or Toys R Us carry Fantasy Flight games, unless that's changing with Force Friday, who knows.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Target and Barnes & Noble. That's it as far as I know. Don't think Walmart or Toys R Us carry Fantasy Flight games, unless that's changing with Force Friday, who knows.
Hastings is making a big deal about force Friday...surely they'd have a set or two since they carry xwing.

Next week. Target is having a midnight launch (over 200 stores in the US) so I might try that and see how it goes.

I'm going to guess it will retail at like 40 bucks? Can probably order it online for 27 bucks if Miniature Market and Coostuff Inc's prices of the original core set is any indication.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm going to guess it will retail at like 40 bucks? Can probably order it online for 27 bucks if Miniature Market and Coostuff Inc's prices of the original core set is any indication.

I DON'T GOT TIME TO WAIT MAN

Look. Look at what you've turned me into, Anderson.

thanks again :D

Won

Local store got wave 7 earlier this week. Things are getting pricey. I actually thought the Hound's Tooth comes with a Z95 after I saw the price. Nope, just a very big ship.

Grabbed a HT and a K-Wing for now.

If you do, can you report back on your experience? Me and my mates are umming and ahhing about doing that sometime, but it is hard to find the time at the moment.

Yeah for sure. We probably will be able to get together some time in the next month, so it may take a couple of weeks to get the ball rolling, but we will probably print out the necessary stuff this week at some point and work on finding a day we are all free to sit down and check this out.

Edit: I've been reading some rumors that the Ep. VII Core Set might be exclusive to target? Is that even possible?

ghostmind

Wave 7 arrived a day early, but I was too exhausted from a busy last few days to do anything with them.

Hound's Tooth sure is sexy though.

Tensketch

Heads up to my UK X-Wing brethren. Force Friday in the UK will be taking place in Toys R Us, Smyths Toys, Disney Stores and Forbidden Planet across the UK. These are the only stores that will be partaking in the event and at the moment, the only stores likely to get the new core set (albeit at full retail price).

The following stores will be doing Midnight openings:

Disney Store - London Oxford Street
Forbidden Planet - London Megastore
Smyths - Walsall, Rayleigh Weir, St. Helens, Telford, Oldham, Team Valley, Speke, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Thurrock, Leeds, Derby, Oldbury, Aberdeen, Watford, Boucher Road Belfast
Toys R Us - Brent Cross, Bristol, Glasgow Helen Street, Oldbury, Warrington

Best bet is to get to a FP as early as you can and see if you can bag a new core set. I don't know if the others would sell them.

What are all of your thoughts on what the availability of this new core set might be online? I'm tempted to go to my local target this Thursday at midnight to pick one up (or maybe even two) at launch to get it ASAP, but only because I'm slightly worried it might be super hard to get if I don't do that.

I'd rather get it at the more modest (likely) price of $27.99 on Miniature Market or Cool Stuff Inc. (if the original core set pricing is any indication), but do you think it might be extremely limited in the first few days/weeks seeing that they aren't doing their usual pre-listing/pre-orders that they always do before new waves come out?

This Force Friday thing seems to be unique in this regard, so I'm not sure if I should be worried.

Tensketch

Well, Toys R Us are claiming that some of the merch that they will have on Force Friday will not be available anywhere else in the UK. But I imagine that these stores will just have the midnight exclusivity, and that regular retailers will get it, but will be open at regular hours etc.

Still... I could be wrong.

The Star Wars Youtube channel have invited a bunch of youtube personalities (urgh) to do live unboxing videos of some items tomorrow. No mention of whether FFG are being represented in this regard, but you never know.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I imagine Target will be the only retailer in the U.S. selling the Core Set 2.0 for the first week at least. My prediction is that FFG will reveal the existence of CS2.0 to everyone on Friday and begin taking orders from local game stores and other retailers like Barnes & Noble. There are probably a ton of CS2.0s sitting in distribution centers that will be shipped as orders come in, meaning that it will be a week to 10 days before local game stores start getting them in stock. Same for online retailers ... I don't think they'll get stock until seven to 10 days after this Friday.

So if you can be patient for a week or two, you can hold off on standing in a line after dark and paying full MSRP. If a week or two is too long, enjoy that line.

Tom_Cody

Should the new starter sets be available at all targets? I would be going to a midnight event just for that one item, so I want to be relatively certain that they'll have it before I make that commitment.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Should the new starter sets be available at all targets? I would be going to a midnight event just for that one item, so I want to be relatively certain that they'll have it before I make that commitment.

There have been no official announcements about Force Friday except that there will be lots of new Star Wars crap starting Friday so please look forward to it so we don't know anything for sure. I'd imagine that Core Set 2.0 will be in all Targets, I don't know why they wouldn't ship some to every store, but nothing is guaranteed.

Tom_Cody

There have been no official announcements about Force Friday except that there will be lots of new Star Wars crap starting Friday so please look forward to it so we don't know anything for sure. I'd imagine that Core Set 2.0 will be in all Targets, I don't know why they wouldn't ship some to every store, but nothing is guaranteed.
I just ask because I don't see any of the existing X-Wing stuff on their online site and I've never seen any of it in-store. That said, I haven't ever explored this seriously either, but I'm kind of surprised to see it there at all.

Tensketch

been watching these uboxing videos. Nothing FFG related yet and they have 2 places left to go to. I dunno if they're gonna be showing it. May just be an article from FFG saying 'surprise!'

I decided I'm going to head to my local Target tonight. Courtesy of Reddit, someone found out that you can check to see the stock of the core sets at your local Target by going here then typing in the DCPI number (087-10-1337) and your zip code. The Target nearest to me that is launching at midnight has 11 (it says it has 12 "on hand" but 11 are "Saleable QTY" whatever that means).

It looks like 11 is the stock for most stores. Rumors say it might be limit 1 per customer...I think I might just pick 1 up at Target for $39.99 and grab a second one for cheaper once it hits online retailers.

Tensketch

Well, all toys have been unboxed and none of them were FFG related.

Further to this, an australian X-Wing fan has confirmed that Force Friday in AUS had no FFG related gear.

I'm starting to worry.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I decided I'm going to head to my local Target tonight. Courtesy of Reddit, someone found out that you can check to see the stock of the core sets at your local Target by going here then typing in the DCPI number (087-10-1337) and your zip code. The Target nearest to me that is launching at midnight has 11 (it says it has 12 "on hand" but 11 are "Saleable QTY" whatever that means).

It looks like 11 is the stock for most stores. Rumors say it might be limit 1 per customer...I think I might just pick 1 up at Target for $39.99 and grab a second one for cheaper once it hits online retailers.

Thanks for that. Looks like every Target in Northeast Ohio has 11 "saleable" and 12 on-hand ... except the one in my city, which has 5 and 6, respectively. [rolls eyes]

Well, I don't have the money for it right now, anyway. Just bought a Raider and a few Wave 7 ships, and Amiibos are coming out next week, and all these damn bills keep rolling in...

Thanks for that. Looks like every Target in Northeast Ohio has 11 "saleable" and 12 on-hand ... except the one in my city, which has 5 and 6, respectively. [rolls eyes]

Well, I don't have the money for it right now, anyway. Just bought a Raider and a few Wave 7 ships, and Amiibos are coming out next week, and all these damn bills keep rolling in...

This hobby has made me grateful that I stopped at 4 Amiibos. There's just no way I could afford being addicted to collecting both, lol.

Stop at Target by my work and they have plenty of FFG X-wing set. I can't help but feel they could sell more to the casual crowd if they would have done Poe's X-wing in black and orange color (edit: I guess they want generic one for the generic pilot). I saw a lot of people pick up the set then put it back down after seeing the price and what is included. My Target still have full shelf of the core box when I left. What really flying off the shelf are those $80.00 ball shape R2 thing and all the LEGO and mugs.

Target is doing $10.00 off $50.00 purchased and $25.00 off $100 if you buy Star Wars merchandise which include the X-wing core set. So if you are buying another thing anyway, you are getting X-wing for $30.00. As a gamer I know you get three nice minis but I think for casual player the $40.00 price point is hard to swallow consider you don't even have enough ship to field a full game. I remember I pick up the original core set from Target when they put them all on clearance. I think I got them for $20.00 (I bought 3 set).

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Really shocked they didn't announce the other two expansions aside from the core. Gah.

Ah well, the new core set is really neat and the critical damage cards are so much more balanced. Generally it's less of a threat (you have more chances to get rid of cards now with dice rolls than the original deck, as it lets you count hits and critical hits.) paired with severe new ones. Pretty neat stuff.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Looks like the official name is "The Force Awakens Core Set," not "Core Set 2.0." And it is SWX36, leaving SWX37 and 38, which probably will be individual expansions for the T-70 X-Wing and the TIE/FO Fighter that hopefully will come out in a couple weeks when all the non-Target retailers get the new Core Set.

Yeah, the UK isn't getting the new core set until the 16th. For gods sake.

Same story for every non-Target store in the U.S., including Amazon. Basically, Target gets two-week exclusivity before everyone else gets these.

After Wave 7 and the Raider just coming out, though, I'm holding off on buying a TFA Core Set for a while...

Nete

The 18th on Spain.

I'm still not sold on the Core, tho. I would love to have the new damage deck, but I refuse to buy it just for that. We'll see how much will the deck cost on the resellers.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The 18th on Spain.

I'm still not sold on the Core, tho. I would love to have the new damage deck, but I refuse to buy it just for that. We'll see how much will the deck cost on the resellers.

X-Wings with Boost. Poe Dameron with a Super Luke pilot ability. TIE Fighters with shields. The Wired EPT. What's not to like?

[edit] FFG has updated their X-Wing product page with a link to a PDF of the new Core Set rulebook: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...6c-ae6e-183c5297e796/swx36_rulesreference.pdf

Also the new "learn to play" book: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...-4fcd-8724-cb03f67c26b5/swx36_learntoplay.pdf

The old Core Set rulebooks are no longer linked to from the site. Makes the new ones look like they override the old ones.

Wish me luck, I got my xwing tournement going on in just a few hours. For the last month or so I was for sure going for a safe Chirpy Fel list but last minute I switched to the Bossk an Kath power couple in act of either odd madness or pure genius (we'll find out.) give you all battle reports when I get back.

Nete

X-Wings with Boost. Poe Dameron with a Super Luke pilot ability. TIE Fighters with shields. The Wired EPT. What's not to like?

The problem is I don't play with Rebels, and I don't see the new TIE really useful. Some of the named may be good on certain lists and situations, but I'm not sold on them.

Wish me luck, I got my xwing tournement going on in just a few hours. For the last month or so I was for sure going for a safe Chirpy Fel list but last minute I switched to the Bossk an Kath power couple in act of either odd madness or pure genius (we'll find out.) give you all battle reports when I get back.

Good luck :p

I'm just back from a tournament I've lost after winning all the 5 games I've played, included the final. Yep, that. It was a team tournament (12 teams, so 36 players), and after winning without many problems the swiss (3-0 in all three rounds) and semifinal (2-1), my teammates lost on the final (1-2).

It has been a great event tho, specially with the "can't repeat unique characters on a team" rule, as all three players had to play with the same faction. Some really interesting lists. And I scored a Khiraxz as prize (plus the regular store kit things). Our lists, I used the first:

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Rebel Captive (3)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Lieutenant Colzet (23) <---- Aka Trollzet. I fucking love this guy. So much value.
Fire-Control System (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

-------------------------

Tempest Squadron Pilot (21)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

Cluster Missiles (4)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

-------------------------

Darth Vader (29)
Lone Wolf (2)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
Engine Upgrade (4)
TIE/x1 (0)

Commander Kenkirk (44) <----- I hate this guy. Even if he is on my team. Annoying ship.
Determination (1)
Emperor Palpatine (8)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Dauntless (2)

All the lists can be found here, second sheet. First are the swiss results. Third, from a tournament last June I didn't play.

Faced Dash-BB, Dash-Corran (with VI), Soontir-Chiraneau (with VI), Whisper-Howlrunner-3xAcademy, Brobots (B-C). I must say I can't believe I didn't lose any game, tho, specially against the PS10 dudes.

MrChom

The problem is I don't play with Rebels, and I don't see the new TIE really useful. Some of the named may be good on certain lists and situations, but I'm not sold on them.

An S-Looping TIE with a shield, boost, and target lock for 3 points, as well as more green on the dial? In return it loses Evade, and a 3 k-turn but those are relatively minor niggles.

The S-Loop alone is GOLD. As someone who plays the Starviper this is a fantastic tool to land your opponent squarely in trouble.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Played the most aggravating game of Xwing ever last night. Did an epic 300, my side was Scum (6x Binyte Pirate Headhunters w/Hot Shot Blaster, 4x Y-Wing twin-turret w/green 3-turn astromech, Talonbane Cobra with Glitterstim and Crack shot, another fighter guy (the one below Talonbane), and the Slave with 3 cluster bombs.)

My friend was running the new Imperial huge ship with two Decimators (one with Palpatine), shuttle w/Vader, and an interceptor with Stealth Device, autothrusters and PTL. He thought for sure he had it in the bag.

Talonbane is amazing. I got in range 1 with him at a fully shielded, full hull Deci, and with my squadron of headhunters and Y-wings we killed him in one single turn. (!!!) The combo of a target lock and popping Glitterstem helped seal the deal on that one. What an amazing combo.

But man, it just kept going and going. I'd repeatedly get the huge ship down of shields and do some hull damage, then he'd have to full up the shields and try to repair one hull before the next turn. Then he forgot about the lack of 360 firing on the primary weapon, and moved into the battle way too quickly, and had no time to recharge his secondaries because I was getting into his hull too fast.

Unfortunately my slave took a critical hit that basically didn't allow for cluster mine actions, and that was the first ship to go on my side (which is why I didn't take any big Scum ships into this epic game...I finally realized how to play Scum.) I should have won the game but I stupidly let one of his Decimators fly off into an unoccupied part of the map when he had only two health left, not realizing that was the Palpatine ship.

What followed was an aggravating game of slightly moving and trying to punch through the huge ship while dealing with the interceptor. The stealth device/double focus bonus thru upgrade cards/Autothrusters and Palps help with getting evades prevented me in getting a hit for two rounds even with all 11 of my ships attacking him at once, and I kept calling for him to forfeit as it was getting late, but he wasn't having it. And really, it wasn't a forteitable game but at that point I was so tired, so drained, yet I didn't want to quit either.

Finally, at 2am, after SEVEN HOURS, I called it a draw. Finally got two damage into the interceptor but at that point the large ship was at a point where it could charge up its secondaries, so that would have been an interesting battle, but holy crap I should have won that but I was so stupid in letting that Deci out of my sight ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think I'll just play some small 100 point games for a while. :p

Tensketch

y'know, Epic games are meant to end after 3 hours, though you can push for 3.5 hours or lower it down to 2.5. 7 is just soul crushingly long.

But still, sounds amazing

I've never been into playing Xwing epic scale. I guess I value the breeze quick nature of the game so much and when epic forces you to take 15 minutes to do dials and another 20 to move your ships it just too slow for my liking. It feels like a completely different game. That said, I do appreciate how awesome massive rucks are in theory and love reading reports and stuff.

Toxi

Banned
I was thinking about getting into this game. Judging by the tutorial video, it's really easy to learn the rules.

Top Bottom