• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

It's odd that characters just don't respond to you talking to them when you've exhausted their dialogue instead of just repeating their lines like most games. I feel like it's taking me a long time to learn everyone's names because with some characters you just get one shot a day to talk to them.

I've met 27 of the 28 characters according to my quest log. Is there someone that shows up later? Also, are there any consequences to shopping at the Walmart-esque store? I've been avoiding it out of principle but I'm curious whether there's any story scenes tied to it, the mayor character said something that makes it seem like there is.

If you buy a membership to the store, it destroys the town center. Improvements to the town turn into cash payments to the store, instead of gathering quests for stuff. You get less rewards, but the quests are easier because money is easier to get than most of the items.

There's no consequences for shopping at the store, though. Just don't buy the membership if you want to complete the town center.

It's pretty much the only permanent choice in the game.

Capsov

Yeah, the early levels aren't exactly a coal rich environment. Once you descend deeper, you start finding a lot more coal and various other things more reliably.

But I am finding tons of copper, so I don't know what to think. I guess just keep going deeper.

epmode

Uhh I went idle to take care of some other things and left the game on and paused... I came back to find the audio acting up by sounding all scratchy/static. Is there a fix to this?

This bug sucks. Especially since you can’t make a suspend save and the initial load time is so long.

ghibli99

Some of the bugs I'm reading about make it sound like it might be worth waiting for a patch. I put 150+ hours into the PC version, so I'm not in a huge hurry, but I do want to support this, but not if there are bugs that are making it less enjoyable for players, especially those new to the game.

Venfayth

My favorite thing about Stardew Valley is that it's a fishing and social sim for me.. I barely farm. Am I doing it wrong or am I okay to do as I please?

No way man, do whatever you want. Fishing is actually super productive at the start of the game. You can make a lot of extra money to kickstart your farm, or do whatever. You'll probably want to do a little farming just to get what you need for the community center and some quests, but it's up to you. Stardew has no fail state. There are no missables.

-GJ-

My favorite thing about Stardew Valley is that it's a fishing and social sim for me.. I barely farm. Am I doing it wrong or am I okay to do as I please?
You should pick the farm that's surrounded by lots of water then. That seems to fit your playstyle. Lots of space for crab pots etc.

Linkhero1

Will I enjoy this if I enjoy Animal Crossing titles? I'm not too big on sim games, but this one has a lot of hype and it's not costly.

Ravelle

Uhh I went idle to take care of some other things and left the game on and paused... I came back to find the audio acting up by sounding all scratchy/static. Is there a fix to this?

Also had this problem but at a totally random moment, had to restart the game.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
have i missed something or can you not choose all possible items to craft unless you have the free cursor thing on? on the crafting screen, it just jumps over some items to the inventory.

without it you also can't seem to be able to check what the items needed for the community center are called.

Wurst

Has the appearance rate of Worms and items to forage decreased since the initial Release?

I remember finding lots of coral and clams at the beach each day whereas there's hardly any now.

Portugeezer

Oh shit, it released yesterday?

Gonna download it later, don't know much about the game, going in semi-blind, I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Venfayth

Will I enjoy this if I enjoy Animal Crossing titles? I'm not too big on sim games, but this one has a lot of hype and it's not costly.

I think so. It's got that AC or Harvest Moon vibe for sure.

Has the appearance rate of Worms and items to forage decreased since the initial Release?

I remember finding lots of coral and clams at the beach each day whereas there's hardly any now.

I don't think so. Worms spawn less frequently and disappear after a few days, whereas beach items should spawn at least 1-2 per day and will last a week or so I think.

This game is certainly more rough around the edges than I was expecting... (full credit and respect to it being made by one person though!)

In what ways do you mean it feels rough? There are some things about this game I'm not super fond of when it comes to console controls but outside of those issues I think it's pretty fleshed out.

Fliesen

You should pick the farm that's surrounded by lots of water then. That seems to fit your playstyle. Lots of space for crab pots etc.

I take it as the poster liking the fishing mini game.

Crab pots are much closer to farming than to fishing ;)

Cerium

Nah, fix the sound and the right analog first, those are actual critical issues. Last thing I would want is fingers on this screen.

Those are bug fixes which are presumably on their agenda already.

Touch controls are something we need to ask for.

Venfayth

I take it as the poster liking the fishing mini game.

Crab pots are much closer to farming than to fishing ;)

The water farm is for fishing though, because you can actually catch fish there. On the other farms you can only catch litter out of the bodies of water on your farm.

Viale

Is it possible to change your farm after you start the game? I chose the standard one because I wasn't sure which I'd like, but I do like fishing more so far.

Venfayth

Is it possible to change your farm after you start the game? I chose the standard one because I wasn't sure which I'd like, but I do like fishing more so far.

Not unless something was changed with this version, which I doubt. Even modding your game to change the farm type on the PC version was glitchy.

The days seem to pass by quick, I'm merely exploring taking in everything and then it's already nighttime and your guy complains about being tired. I have to head back to my house to rest for the night, and it just seems like nothing is accomplished. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Venfayth

The days seem to pass by quick, I'm merely exploring taking in everything and then it's already nighttime and your guy complains about being tired. I have to head back to my house to rest for the night, and it just seems like nothing is accomplished. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

No, that's just how the game is. I think that's part of the hook of the game for a lot of people, honestly. It's such an impetus to keep moving forward - how short each day is, you start mentally developing a list of things you want to do, but there's literally not enough time in each day. I think it's kind of fun, constantly being distracted by other things you want to do, but I see how it might not be for everyone.

As you progress in the game you will be unlocking things that makes various facets of the game take less time, but I encourage you to just embrace the flow of the game. Also the biggest thing is not to worry too much. You really can't mess too much up.

edit: Reading the thread it seems like I'm posting a lot. Sorry guys, I just really love this game and I haven't got much to do at work right now :)

In what ways do you mean it feels rough? There are some things about this game I'm not super fond of when it comes to console controls but outside of those issues I think it's pretty fleshed out.

It’s in (admittedly) small ways like the music not looping and instead repeatedly fading out and restarting.
Nothing to gripe all that much about, but even simple things like a small animation during the unbearably long save screens would go a long way in aiding presentation.

No, that's just how the game is. I think that's part of the hook of the game for a lot of people, honestly. It's such an impetus to keep moving forward - how short each day is, you start mentally developing a list of things you want to do, but there's literally not enough time in each day. I think it's kind of fun, constantly being distracted by other things you want to do, but I see how it might not be for everyone.

As you progress in the game you will be unlocking things that makes various facets of the game take less time, but I encourage you to just embrace the flow of the game. Also the biggest thing is not to worry too much. You really can't mess too much up.

edit: Reading the thread it seems like I'm posting a lot. Sorry guys, I just really love this game and I haven't got much to do at work right now :)
I appreciate the feedback, I don't think there's a need to apologize. Game is interesting though, going to keep at it.

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
Outside of the audio bug, this game has been a blast and everything I was hoping for. I had been holding out since the beginning of the year for the Switch version. Easily put over 5 hours into it yesterday.

Do I just need to keep talking to the townspeople everyday to build up my friendship with them? I'm on like day 15 or 16 so far and none of them have leveled up.

Venfayth

Outside of the audio bug, this game has been a blast and everything I was hoping for. I had been holding out since the beginning of the year for the Switch version. Easily put over 5 hours into it yesterday.

Do I just need to keep talking to the townspeople everyday to build up my friendship with them? I'm on like day 15 or 16 so far and none of them have leveled up.

Talking every day helps. Give them gifts too :)

Brakke

Banned
Can you move items like the chests or the furnace after you place them?

Chests you can pick up by hitting them with an axe or mattock, but only if they’re empty. For furniture in the house, use right stick to get the cursor, cursor lets you pick those things up.

have i missed something or can you not choose all possible items to craft unless you have the free cursor thing on? on the crafting screen, it just jumps over some items to the inventory.

without it you also can't seem to be able to check what the items needed for the community center are called.

Yeah it’s busted. Just gotta play with cursor menu.

Scrawnton

I did that but the crafting tab is all screwed up and I can't even move the cursor over the crab trap icon so I can make them.

StrmSrg

Neo Member
I found my first fossil from a worm and on my way to the library to give it to the cultural guy, I talked to someone and accidentally gave it to Willy.

Is there a way to get it back or should I hard reset? Will the worm be in the same spot if I reset or is that random?

I found my first fossil from a worm and on my way to the library to give it to the cultural guy, I talked to someone and accidentally gave it to Willy.

Is there a way to get it back or should I hard reset? Will the worm be in the same spot if I reset or is that random?

You can get it again, and the worms are random. I'm not sure what happens to the worms if you reset.

Unai

I’m wondering this as well. I played this game on pc for a small amount of time and the save times were nowhere near as bad, is this a console or Switch specific thing?

Someone has said on the other thread that the PS4 has the same issue. I can't confirm, though.

Fliesen

Someone has said on the other thread that the PS4 has the same issue. I can't confirm, though.

PS4 saves way faster than the Switch. The fact that this weird "this might take really long" message is exclusive to the switch, should be a tell.

Played about 30 hours of this on PC and just started playing on Switch. This game feels so good on a handheld. Maybe I just missed it, but I can't use touch screen controls right?

Dommel

Nah, fix the sound and the right analog first, those are actual critical issues. Last thing I would want is fingers on this screen.

Strange thing is I played a lot yesterday and had the crackling happen within 20-30 minutes everytime I restarted the game.

But today I played at least another 5-6 hours straight (damn you SDV!) and no crackling at all, I was actually wondering if it was hotfixed overnight or something.

I thought you could use the pick axe to get the items where the little worms are in the dirt...not working on this version for me. (on day 2)

Using the hoe just gives clay.

Fliesen

How bad is the audio pop? Trying to get an idea if I should get this now or wait until a fix.

It's not too bad. Easily alleviated by restarting the game at the next morning, when you start noticing it.

Also, it's just a crackle in the background music, i think - so if you turn that off, it might not affect you at all...
I personally listen to podcasts while playing, so it's a non issue for me.

I thought you could use the pick axe to get the items where the little worms are in the dirt...not working on this version for me. (on day 2)

Using the hoe just gives clay.

you need to use the hoe. Also, there's those worm things that actually wiggle, but also the ground texture that looks very similar, but doesn't visible wiggle.

Top Bottom