• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

I found my first fossil from a worm and on my way to the library to give it to the cultural guy, I talked to someone and accidentally gave it to Willy.

Is there a way to get it back or should I hard reset? Will the worm be in the same spot if I reset or is that random?
You'll likely find the same fossil again.

Flandy

How are the controls on this version? I tried playing it on PC at some point with an Xbox controller and I thought it controlled really awkwardly. I remember you had to control a mouse cursor with the analog stick for menu navigation. Felt really unintuitive and put me off from playing

abrack08

How are the controls on this version? I tried playing it on PC at some point with an Xbox controller and I thought it controlled really awkwardly. I remember you had to control a mouse cursor with the analog stick for menu navigation. Felt really unintuitive and put me off from playing

You switch what items you have equipped with the shoulder buttons, you can navigate most menus with the d-pad or left stick. You do occasionally have to use the right stick as a cursor. I haven't found any other way to see the journal/active quests, haven't had to use it for anything else yet.

ScOULaris

You switch what items you have equipped with the shoulder buttons, you can navigate most menus with the d-pad or left stick. You do occasionally have to use the right stick as a cursor. I haven't found any other way to see the journal/active quests, haven't had to use it for anything else yet.

Doesn't the minus button bring up the journal/quests?

Slim`

Neo Member
Missed out on the PC hype wave and never played it.

This'll definitely be one of my first pickups when I get my Switch this month, especially since Animal Crossing holds such a warm place in my heart.

This game is like crack I swear. I played for nearly 15 straight fucking hours yesterday. This is the sequel to Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town that I’ve always dreamed of.

Already halfway through Summer and about to get my first farm upgrade. Fishing is so good.

CrocoDuck

This game is like crack I swear. I played for nearly 15 straight fucking hours yesterday. This is the sequel to Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town that I’ve always dreamed of.

Already halfway through Summer and about to get my first farm upgrade. Fishing is so good.

Fuuuuuck that is insane! Lol. I thought I was crazy for playing danganrompa 3 for 8 hours straight a few days ago.

But yeah, I never invested much time on this on the PS4, but the switch handheld is such a perfect way to play this game.

Ventara

Responses to my attempts at asking others to dance with me

"I'll be honest. I don't want to dance with you."
"I'm flattered! But... No."
"Oh... No, thanks."
"Ew... no."

pp%2C185x205-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

Venfayth

How do I use fishing bait? I can't figure out which button to press/where to press it.

The initial fishing rod cannot use bait. The first upgraded fishing rod can definitely use bait, but I don't know which button would let you do that. I assume pick it up in your inventory and then hit A or Y while selecting the rod.

The initial fishing rod cannot use bait. The first upgraded fishing rod can definitely use bait, but I don't know which button would let you do that. I assume pick it up in your inventory and then hit A or Y while selecting the rod.

Thanks, I only have the first one, so that'll be why.

chris121580

"Oh... No, thanks."
"Ew... no."

Same thing happened to me too. I'd spent all month wooing Emily and she asked someone else to dance. Made me want to stop worrying about towns people and do my own thing

Unai

"Oh... No, thanks."
"Ew... no."

Same thing happened to me too. I'd spent all month wooing Emily and she asked someone else to dance. Made me want to stop worrying about towns people and do my own thing

It's close to impossible to make someone dance with you on year one. Don't feel bad!

Mediking

Finally starting to get the hang of it...

Whose the bigger drunk? Pam or Shane? Lol

Its kinda insulting that the game starts you off with so little carrying space. Like this isn't Witcher 3. C'mon ;_;

Oh and Haley ignoring me? Lol

Ran into Elliot and I died laughing.

But am I starting to figure stuff out... kinda focused on making alotta money to grow then I'll get a girl.

mauaus

How do I
Start fixing the community center, read up a bit about bundles and i have a lot of those items but dont know what to do

Venfayth

How do I
Start fixing the community center, read up a bit about bundles and i have a lot of those items but dont know what to do

Walk into town after 9am using the road next to your farmhouse a few days after the game starts. If it doesn't work on one day, just try a day or two more. An event will trigger with the mayor that kicks it off.

Ventara

Is the watering can the best first upgrade? Or would I be better off with the pickaxe/axe/fishing pole? I'm starting to get deeper into the mines (at 31 now), and it looks like I can make sprinklers soon once I get more iron, so I'm thinking of spending my money on something else first.

Dumb question guys - is there a button to run? I see auto run in the options but can't tell any difference

No

TheKeyPit

Banned
Is the watering can the best first upgrade? Or would I be better off with the pickaxe/axe/fishing pole? I'm starting to get deeper into the mines (at 31 now), and it looks like I can make sprinklers soon once I get more iron, so I'm thinking of spending my money on something else first.
Fishing poles can't be upgraded. You can just buy a better one.

Upgraded pickaxe and axe are needed for getting rid of bigger stones and tree stumps.

I'd go with the watering can first, so you can water your plants a bit faster and spend the additional time for other activities.

Edit: The first sprinklers only water the top/down/left/right tiles.

Unai

No

Upgrade the watering can is much better than earlier sprinklers. Tier 1 sprinklers are not worth at all. Tier 2 are ok but the tier 3 are the real deal.

Ventara

Fishing poles can't be upgraded. You can just buy a better one.

Upgraded pickaxe and axe are needed for getting rid of bigger stones and tree stumps.

I'd go with the watering can first, so you can water your plants a bit faster and spend the additional time for other activities.

Edit: The first sprinklers only water the top/down/left/right tiles.

Yeah, that's what I meant with the fishing poles. And the sprinklers only water 4 tiles? lol, guess I'll go with the watering can.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah, that's what I meant with the fishing poles. And the sprinklers only water 4 tiles? lol, guess I'll go with the watering can.
Fishing is my favorite side activity in the game. I immediately bought the best poles to fish like a pro. If you spend a lot of time fishing, get a better pole :)

The first sprinkler type waters only 4 tiles, the second sprinkler waters 8 surrounding tiles, the third sprinkler waters 24 surrounding tiles.

I've just started the game and I'm completely new to this. Just started badly by not talking to everyone on the first day and falling asleep outside, losing 50 coins.

How much is the time passing a big deal in this game? I always feel stressed in these situations where time is constantly passing because I feel like I'm missing out on everything because I've been playing sub optimally and don't have a real plan.

Oh and the audio bug - it seems like closing and opening the game again fixes it, at least temporarily. I'm not entirely sure what triggers it - possible going into and out of sleep mode?
I went into and out've sleep mode plenty of times with no audio bug after 4:34 so probably not that, unless its sleep mode while in game since I always press home and then sleep. I guess that's possible.

Walk into town after 9am using the road next to your farmhouse a few days after the game starts. If it doesn't work on one day, just try a day or two more. An event will trigger with the mayor that kicks it off.

I triggered this and still have no clue what to do with it

I go inside a few days later in every room I find nothing I can interact with

ragnarrok

Neo Member
Once my wife finds out about this, we'll be buying yet another platform, and I won't see her again for days. I guess things could be worse

Sterok

Is there a good way to farm copper ore besides buying it? The drop rates in the mine seem awful.

Getting the copper axe gave me a similar feeling to getting the bigger backpack. I am now a god with complete dominance over Stardew Valley. Kneel before me puny trees!

Is there a good way to farm copper ore besides buying it? The drop rates in the mine seem awful.

Getting the copper axe gave me a similar feeling to getting the bigger backpack. I am now a god with complete dominance over Stardew Valley. Kneel before me puny trees!

Mine in lucky days, same with fishing.

Top Bottom