• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

unrealist

The more I play, the more things I discover .. it's like the good old games where we don't refer to the Internet but borrow guide books.

How can a one man dev manage to stuff so much things into a game where most AAA studios cant?

I decided to wed Emily since she's one of the new eligible bachelor/ettes added to the game post-launch and I wanted to see how Concernedape retroactively turned her into one.

Surprisingly enough, she has great heart events. One sad scene that happens when you officially become an item is
Clint the blacksmith congratulating you and her with a sigh once he see's you two together.

spiritfox

The more I play, the more things I discover .. it's like the good old games where we don't refer to the Internet but borrow guide books.

How can a one man dev manage to stuff so much things into a game where most AAA studios cant?

Years upon years of development time.

Any pictures of your farms?

Humble beginnings for me! I know placement of my crops seems erratic, but there is a plan designed underneath there.

DL1TVxyWsAACSHS

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm guessing the fruit tree has to grow, and is different from normal trees.

Nice. Do I have to water them daily like crops?
No, but the 8 tiles around them have to be free of anything for them to grow.

It takes one big fan and a lot of passion to create something like this.
Humble beginnings for me! I know placement of my crops seems erratic, but there is a plan designed underneath there.

DL1TVxyWsAACSHS
Nice, I'll try to get a quick clip of my old farm in action today :)

nikwhatsup

Neo Member
In the middle of my first Fall now. Still having troubles with the social parts. Do I just give gifts to everyone?

And OMG is this game fun, been home sick the last three days and I have played 15 hours or more.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In the middle of my first Fall now. Still having troubles with the social parts. Do I just give gifts to everyone?

And OMG is this game fun, been home sick the last three days and I have played 15 hours or more.
Its easier to focus on farming and dungeon instead of social first year(s)
You will get items that make being social way easier later.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Good to know. Is there a way to understand what different people want as gifts or should I use a guide?
I threat this game as a wiki game.
Minecraft terraria ark etc.

Best of using a guide.
But i think the game does hint what people like hobies etc.

The chapter on Stardew Valley in Schreier’s book blew my fucking mind.

Makes me think WTF have I been doing with my life?

went to sleep saved and a NEW hoe spawns right next to my bed but back to the starting level shiiiit

yikes I did not noticed I also lost my
Galaxy Sword
(can't get that back it seems)

Interfectum

I played this game on PC a little, I enjoyed it but didn't hook me.

On Switch I've been playing non-stop. This game feels like it was made for Switch.

Kemal86

Good to know. Is there a way to understand what different people want as gifts or should I use a guide?

As you slowly become friends with people, they will sometimes tell you what other people like/don't like.

There are also certain groups of items that *almost* everyone loves, likes, dislikes, and hates. Once you learn those, you'll be mostly set.

Puggles

It seems to be related to upgrading tools on the day before a festival. (Meaning, the tool would be ready for pickup the same day as the festival I believe)

Some people also suspect it has something to do with leveling up and selling items on a day before a festival. Basically, too many things happening at one moment. Check into the chucklefish forums, a lot more info there.

So I split everything I was doing on that one day into 2 separate days and I got through both days just fine. It sucks to basically lose a day but I'm happy to be playing again!

The only weird thing I didn't do was make my angler rare fish into sashimi. (I didn't realize it was taking him out of the fridge when i was cooking my other fish.) So I'm not sure if that might have been causing it.

kizmah

I reached the first day of summer then decided to start over. I wanted to change farm, and I just felt that I could play in another way. Basically, my first spring with this game was like a tutorial. My second run so far feels even more enjoyable.

brad-t

lol, I completely froze the game last night by accidentally casting my fishing line into my sales box. Beware!

About halfway through winter now. This is one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

I'm in late summer of year 2 and just need 3 things from the fall to finish the community center. After that, I'm taking a break. I've played way too much since last Thursday.

Way late in the game, need to do some sidequest after completing the community center.

I think I am done with the game I put 30 hours in but this save file is so glitched from trying cheats I saw on youtube

even the adventure's guild first quest is all messed up
replaces 10 slimes with rock crabs and without the Galaxy Sword I don't even want to bother anymore

AAA games are bigger in scale so they can't be big on content most of the time. Also the game is pretty simple in what it does even if it does it to greatly.

Ourobolus

Banned
I just started playing..
What are the buttons for fishing?
Hold Y and release to cast the line.
Press Y when you hear the fish biting (or the joycon rumble)
When the meter shows up, hold Y to raise the green bar, release to let it descend. You want to keep the fish in the middle of the green bar until it is caught.

Fliesen

Okay I'm gonna need some advice on how to organize things. What chest holds what and where you place these chests etc

Here's my setup:

Tool chest (in front of your house) - all the tools you don't need to bring outside your farm (watering can, scythe (the sword cuts down grass with 0 energy, too), shears, milking bucket

Personal locker (inside the house) - stuff like indoor decoration, old equipment that you still wanna hold on to

Cooking Supplies (inside the house) - flour, rice, sugar, oil, etc.

"Stuff for making shit grow" (outside the house) - Fertilizer, seed packs

construction material - Wood, Stone, Dirt, hardwood, copper / iron / gold + respective bars

"valuable loot" (outside your house) - gemstones, monster loot, etc. (anything you can't farm really, but rather have to hope for a drop)

food (outside your house) for cooking, adventuring, putting in the Luau soop, etc.

I played a bunch of the PC version; and I think I vastly prefer the Switch version, the nature and portability of the Switch just lends itself well to constantly playing. Last I checked my save file was a little under 30 hours, and some of you have trumped my playtime.

Just started Season 1 of Winter and I'm doing way better at this point in time on the Switch compared to when I first played on PC. Have a basic coop and upgraded barn, the first house upgrade, my pickaxe and axe upgraded to iron, and married to Abigail. I also think I should finish the community center by the end of year 2 depending on my luck with that duck feather.

I've not experienced any bugs yet aside from the audio cackle and some menu interactions breaking depending on how you back out of them.

Ventara

Just got a glitched quest. Lewis is asking for a Catfish, so I caught and gave him one, but it only registers as a gift. Pretty annoying.

Here's my setup:

Tool chest (in front of your house) - all the tools you don't need to bring outside your farm (watering can, scythe (the sword cuts down grass with 0 energy, too), shears, milking bucket

Personal locker (inside the house) - stuff like indoor decoration, old equipment that you still wanna hold on to

Cooking Supplies (inside the house) - flour, rice, sugar, oil, etc.

"Stuff for making shit grow" (outside the house) - Fertilizer, seed packs

construction material - Wood, Stone, Dirt, hardwood, copper / iron / gold + respective bars

"valuable loot" (outside your house) - gemstones, monster loot, etc. (anything you can't farm really, but rather have to hope for a drop)

food (outside your house) for cooking, adventuring, putting in the Luau soop, etc.

now this is what i am talking about

speaking of, is there a way to get rid of unused swords/rods/boots/etc?

I got super lucky that I pulled up a chest with a duck feather in early Summer year one.

I have only had two glitches so far. One is that crackling noise, the other is for some reason everything I tried to do kept pulling up my crab pot that was on my farm, no matter where I was or what button I pressed.

Stencil

Baths/Spa Question:

I went in to the water, sat for an hour and a half (in game time) and nothing happened? I thought it consistently charged your energy but nothing was happening. Should I have waited longer for a prompt of some kind?

Puggles

Baths/Spa Question:

I went in to the water, sat for an hour and a half (in game time) and nothing happened? I thought it consistently charged your energy but nothing was happening. Should I have waited longer for a prompt of some kind?

It should fill your energy if you are staying still. You can't move or it won't do anything.

Top Bottom