• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

And Yoba said, “LET THERE BE AUTOMATION!”

DMGSwEOUIAANEOb

DMGSlcHVQAIaRfB

As you can see from the last time I posted, I am no longer that poor farmer of Beacon Hills farm who walks around with 14G in his pocket! I have mastered the watering can! Became the farmer, I have! Slowly phasing out any history of having to water my plants. By Spring next year, it shall all be automated!

DMGSd3tUQAE0MBV

And my precious, precious chickens who 1/2-heart love me after all of the love and careful attention I’ve given them. Allison, Lydia, Kira, and Malia, thank you for all of the mayonnaise you have helped create!

/internet points to anyone who knows where their names are inspired from/

HIR0

I bought the stardrop fruit from that fair and my energy meter did not increase at all

Edit nvm, if you move the cursor to your energy bar it tells you how much energy you have.
It did increase

mstevens

Wow you're much more efficient than I am. In the middle of winter, I only just ordered my first coop. Money's still an issue. Have a few dead ends with stuff that I'm not sure what to do with, hoping that it will clear up when I do more of community center, or maybe when I find more books, or maybe, for one of the things, once I upgrade my friendship with
Gunther

I prioritized the mine first because I wanted to get the 2nd tier sprinklers asap, as I was not having fun watering plants. Once I got those set up, blueberries in summer and cranberries in fall funded all the projects I wanted to do, and I spent all my free time fishing for even more cash.

Blues1990

my second winter feels dull since farm is dead, I guess I should just go back to the mines each day

this is the industry I want - Star Fruit Wine
DMHaDvrUMAAM8GD.jpg

Okay, I'm so confused on how most players on here have freakishly huge energy bars. My health bar went up a smidgen, but I'm on my third year and I don't know how to increase my energy.

Kangi

Okay, I'm so confused on how most players on here have freakishly huge energy bars. My health bar went up a smidgen, but I'm on my third year and I don't know how to increase my energy.

The user in question uses cheats.

You increase your energy bar with Stardrops.

Anyone know why the HUD is significantly more to the center of the screen than it is on PS4 and XB1? But that's only on dock mode. When playing in handheld the Switch just cuts the sides (basically a big overscan) and then the HUD is right at the edge of the screen.

Do all Switch games have that overscan when in handheld mode as opposed to docked or is this just a SDV issue?

BSpot

Anyone else experiencing a bug where you try to turn in Dwarf Scroll 1 and it just sorta stops being able to interact. I can move cursor but not do anything and I have to restart the Switch.

So should I just buy copper now that I'm around level 60 of the mine and all I find is iron? Or should I just redo the first 20 or so levels where it was more common? I want/need to make a lot more stuff that needs copper but I blew it all transmuting for iron to get better tools.

So should I just buy copper now that I'm around level 60 of the mine and all I find is iron? Or should I just redo the first 20 or so levels where it was more common? I want/need to make a lot more stuff that needs copper but I blew it all transmuting for iron to get better tools.

Buying copper isn't a huge loss financially. I hate the mines, so I often buy copper in my first year.

However that only works out for me because I know what to grow/harvest already to get some decent money. For a first time player it could be costly.

End of year 1 update!

Farm Setup: 28 quality sprinklers for 224 crops, Deluxe Barn, Deluxe Coop, and Silo x2.
Current / Total Money: 50,400 / 381,000
Mine: Made it to level 120
Farming: 10
Mining: 7
Foraging: 8
Fishing: 10
Combat: 7
Gear: Copper Hoe, Iron Watering Can, Gold Axe, Gold Pickaxe
Donations: 65 total
Community Center: Finished the crafts room, fish tank, vault, and the boiler room.
For the pantry, I still need a green bean, and 5 gold star parsnips.
For the bulletin board, I still need a fiddlehead fern, poppy, maki roll, fried egg, rabbit's foot, wine (in progress), pomegranate, 3 apples, and a red cabbage.

My goals for this year is to finally start working on relationships and to get the greenhouse setup with trees and some sort of fruit so I can start wine production.

Fake edit: I started typing this post and then did the first day of spring #2. Ran around and got 224 seeds hoed, planted, and watered and barely made it by 12:50 am. Whew!

We have had like, the exact same progress with this game give or take a few quality sprinkles. Like, even the things you need for the community center are the same lol.

I feel intimidated by this game for some reason. Seems like so much to do. It's putting me off from buying it.

That's the opposite feeling you should have about it. The game forces nothing upon you and goes on forever no matter what you do. I think you may be more intimidated by what other people are doing with their farms rather than the game itself, and in SV that just doesn't matter. You figure out what feels awesome for you and go at your own pace.

The joy doesn't come from the get rich quick schemes. It comes from discovery and creativity.

Anyone else experiencing a bug where you try to turn in Dwarf Scroll 1 and it just sorta stops being able to interact. I can move cursor but not do anything and I have to restart the Switch.

What do you mean turn in? I’ve been donating mine to the museum. Is that what you mean?

Am I insane or is fishing a lot harder with the pro controller?

I’ve mostly been playing on handheld mode with the joycons. But today I decided to put it on my tv and grabbed my pro controller so the joycons could charge, and I could barely fish. Like I struggled to do what I could easily do with the other controller and on other systems even.

Is it just me or is there some sort of delay other people noticed too?

That's the opposite feeling you should have about it. The game forces nothing upon you and goes on forever no matter what you do. I think you may be more intimidated by what other people are doing with their farms rather than the game itself, and in SV that just doesn't matter. You figure out what feels awesome for you and go at your own pace.
Yeah I see others posting here about stats and whatnot and all this detailed stuff and I am like, wait, I thought this game was really laid back.

Vicious

Am I insane or is fishing a lot harder with the pro controller?

I’ve mostly been playing on handheld mode with the joycons. But today I decided to put it on my tv and grabbed my pro controller so the joycons could charge, and I could barely fish. Like I struggled to do what I could easily do with the other controller and on other systems even.

Is it just me or is there some sort of delay other people noticed too?

I've played about 50/50 handheld and on TV with the pro controller. Both are the same for me. I actually prefer the pro controller since it's more comfortable.

Yeah I see others posting here about stats and whatnot and all this detailed stuff and I am like, wait, I thought this game was really laid back.

TBH I think the game loses a ton of it's charm when it's turned into a min/max deal. I ruined a good portion of it for myself by looking up tips and doing that. I found being rich wasn't all it was cracked up to be...like I said much of the charm gets lost at that point. That's my experience. Can't speak for others.

Once I turned away from all the trusted and popular ways of getting rich and thought up some of my own ways to make decent cash it was much more rewarding.

I can see how people who are more into the farm design portion of the game wouldn't agree with that, though. I'm sure to some people a fast cash now thing is way to go so they can design their perfect farm. Makes sense.

TBH I think the game loses a ton of it's charm when it's turned into a min/max deal. I ruined a good portion of it for myself by looking up tips and doing that. I found being rich wasn't all it was cracked up to be...like I said much of the charm gets lost at that point. That's my experience. Can't speak for others.

Once I turned away from all the trusted and popular ways of getting rich and thought up some of my own ways to make decent cash it was much more rewarding.

Thanks for the tip. I am trying to decide between this and Steamworld Dig 2.

It was useful to mark out the space when I was tilling. The region is 17x17 so it’s kind of hard to eyeball.

Now I’m in Fall and all my crops are sprinkler-ed, so I’ll spend a couple days cleaning up the aesthetic of my farm.

I'm only on day 5..but i recently bought some fertilizer, why am i not allowed to put it on every square of soil I've prepared with the hoe?

Brakke

Banned
I'm only on day 5..but i recently bought some fertilizer, why am i not allowed to put it on every square of soil I've prepared with the hoe?

Not sure what you mean?

Fertilizer is one use per bag, like seeds. You have to put it in tilled soil before putting a seed in that spot.

Early game, you should be crafting your own fertilizer out of Sap gathering from chopping trees. Since you’ll be cutting lots of trees and planting not so many crops, fertilizer shouldn’t cost anything.

Wallach

In spring of year 3 now. Not sure yet how much more there is for me to do on this save file, but I'm really glad I just kind of went in blind and figured most everything out. It's a very satisfying game to kill time with.

Highly recommend folks use the wiki as little as possible. Honestly there doesn't seem to be a ton of point to being crazy efficient in terms of money; I was pretty much out of uses for gold by the end of year 2, and now it's just kind of racking up.

Can see myself starting another save file sometime this year, just to try a different starting farm, but for now I'm pretty sure I'll be sated on this game for a bit by the time GTS and Mario hit shelves. Great game, really glad I picked this up.

Not sure what you mean?

Fertilizer is one use per bag, like seeds. You have to put it in tilled soil before putting a seed in that spot.

Early game, you should be crafting your own fertilizer out of Sap gathering from chopping trees. Since you’ll be cutting lots of trees and planting not so many crops, fertilizer shouldn’t cost anything.

Right i tilled the soil.. Created my own fertilizer and when i tried to place the fertilizer it wouldn't let me put it all over the tilled soil. Only in certain spots

Here's another Stardew protip from a level 1000 certified platinum farmer:

On the last week of summer, don't pick your fully grown crops until the 25th. When that day arrives, pick those crops and fill all that now empty tilled soil with wheat seeds.

If you manage to water them for the next 4 days, those wheat seeds will be fully grown and ready to harvest by Fall 1.

But why do this, you ask?

Whenever a new season starts, at least 95% of all unoccupied tilled soil become normal soil and all fertilizer is removed even if they are under crops from the season before.

By doing this trick, you get to save resources/money on using new fertilizer for the season and time having to till more land. All that farmland are occupied by wheat which is a Summer and Fall crop. That means it won't rot or lose all that fertilizer you set up all the way in Summer 1. Now you can plant as many cranberry seeds as you can in half the time and without spending a single G on more fertilizer.

Here's another Stardew protip from a level 1000 certified platinum farmer:

On the last week of summer, don't pick your fully grown crops until the 25th. When that day arrives, pick those crops, pickaxe them to hell, and fill all that now empty tilled soil with wheat seeds.

If you manage to water them for the next 4 days, those wheat seeds will be fully grown by Fall 1.

But why do this, you ask?

Whenever a new season starts, at least 95% of all unoccupied tilled soil are turned untilled and all fertilizer is removed even if they are under crops from the season before.

By doing this trick, you get to save resources/money on using new fertilizer for the season and time having to till more land because those spaces are occupied by wheat which is a Summer and Fall crop. Now you can plant as many cranberry seeds as you can in half the time and without spending a single G on more fertilizer.

I wish I had read this an hour ago! Just got to Fall Day 1 earlier. I had to make all new fertilizer for my 100 cranberry seeds. Thanks for the tip!

I'll agree that SV is best when taking it slow. My previous playthroughs I ended up getting caught up in trying to do as much as possible and I end up getting burned out. This time around I'm taking things much slower... and wondering how I managed to do half the things I did the previous time.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah you can incubate a Void Egg. Some characters who are otherwise picky about gifts like Void Eggs, and you need Void Mayonaise for a quest. It’s worth keeping a Void Chicken around for completion’s sake.

Mistle

There were petals in the air and I couldn't resist taking some snaps of my farm so far. Happy with where it's at but still far from completion!

n5ffpJZ.jpg

NtmLFMM.jpg

85OLGcJ.jpg

l2dqujX.jpg

is6UVQ2.jpg

RGAw0uv.jpg

9AbAJVy.jpg

IaSdwDl.jpg

GTDFdG5.jpg

Holy shit. I just realized you can hold down A to make some tools affect three tiles in a row.

Was this possible at the start of the game? Farming is much less tedious now, at least more so until I upgrade all my sprinklers.

Holy shit. What can I do with a high quantity of coffee beans?
honestly it's a waste to use many kegs for coffee so I would sell the beans.
Holy shit. I just realized you can hold down A to make some tools affect three tiles in a row.

Was this possible at the start of the game? Farming is much less tedious now, at least more so until I upgrade all my sprinklers.
Upgrade tools further and keep holding A for more options!

Downloading on my Switch! Bought it on PC a while back but had no clue what I was doing. Any tips for a beginner?
I would start with buying some seeds and growing stuff! Save up for the backpack. Run around and get to know your farm and the town. Just play and if you come across something you can't do, be patient. The game will trickle in new areas as you play.

You can't really mess up- there is always next season!

Brakke

Banned
Coffee is a super popular gift and it gives move speed. I always keep a bunch on hand, takes up one item slot but gives two solid benefits. And beans brew to coffee quickly. I alternate coffee and wine in my kegs.

massoluk

Banned
Got to level 95 mine after after exhausting every food items, refined all the gold and iron, put bait into all fishing barrel trap things, went to sleep. BAMM. "Game crash, game closed because error occurred." Well yeah, no shit. Rage quit

pbsapeer

Banned
Started playing about 9 and before I knew it midday arrived.
Got to the bottom of the mine (thank God) and it's mental how much
gold ore
you end up getting. Holy shit I've had to make another furnace to melt it down. Made a massive mistake - I kept throwing the quartz away thinking it was useless and now I need it for the advanced sprinkler. Oops.
I have a barn but no animals. Planning to get some next season (winter).
I have some crops going but don't want to invest further until I have some sprinklers. Summer was horrible trying to water all my crops every fucking day.

Thoroughly enjoying the game though.

Top Bottom