• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Right. Just don't open the gate on rainy / stormy days, and don't bother opening it during winter because they won't go outside (and there's no grass for them to eat outside during winter anyway).

Note that unless you have the max upgraded barns / coops you need to set the hay out manually inside the barn / coop from the dispenser (one unit per animal) if they're going to stay inside that day. The fully upgraded ones will automatically dispense hay directly from the silos.

Like drop it on the ground? I don't see a spot to place the hay I took out of the coop.

Ventara

Like drop it on the ground? I don't see a spot to place the hay I took out of the coop.

There's a shelf-like place on the top part of the coop. Should be able to hold 4 hay.

Chickens_fed.png

Brakke

Banned
Wow. 16 Fall, Year 2. The Waifu Wars come to an end at long last.

v3SR0dN.jpg

I betcha girl doesn't do kinky dress up roleplay sex with you.

Where I could see my animals hearts? Or such thing doesn't exist?

Gotta go individually. Pet your animal and then try to pet it again, you'll get a little plaque with their name and heart rating, plus a couple options like ”move to another coop/barn".

Getting concerned. Had a productive day and a perfect soup at Summer Luau year 2 then the game crashed and quit when I went to bed. First time I'd seen a black Switch crash screen like that.

Played the day again doing to bare minimum, made a perfect soup, went to bed and it saved. Played a full / super productive next day, harvested a hundred coffee beans, bonded in the cemetery with Abigail, and another crash.

I was overdoing it on this game a bit but I may have to take a break if this turns into Groundhog Day, the game.

Ok, read up and both days my game crashed i tested out my new sashimi recipe but didn't have any fish in my backpack. Game drew the fish from my fridge to cook and it crashed at the end of the day.

Will try again moving the fish to my person first.

Also, Penny is my girlfriend now and I've got my "engagement ring", but having seen Abigail's passion for sword fighting I'm curious to see what the other ladies have to offer.

Good to know Haley likes mayo and Leah's into salads and laughter.

Mediking

its my first playthrough ever and i plan to do that. im a sellout, whatever. but i can just use money to upgrade. screw all this collecting nonsense. screw this community. they cant even keep the busses running and they let their community center go to crap. they dont deserve for me to fix it for them. this town really dropped that ball. i will swim in the profits on the backs of these hicks.

Lmao I'm dying.

This is too cruel.

Bah I made my farm too big in fall even with the 1x5 watering can it takes me till like 1pm to water everything and tend to the animals (1 barn 1 coop). I also didn't lay out my farm in a neat way so i just have a massive blob that I can't water efficiently. Also wish I had picked fruit instead of mushrooms.

Doorman

Whoops there went my entire evening!

Played through half of my first summer and still feeling like I'm doing a really bad job but oh well. I'm trying to keep my lineup of crops relatively small and manageable but most stuff in the summer seems to take a long time to grow up before giving much yeild, so I've only just started actually regularly getting stuff I can sell. I'm stocking up on my quality hops in the hopes that I'll be able to brew it into something much more interesting later, though I don't currently have the means to do so yet. Finally started to dabble in fishing a bit in the meantime and...ouch it's tough with the default pole. By the time I unlocked the better one, I couldn't afford it after having just finally upgraded my axe. Still no house upgrades or extra buildings either, but I've been tentatively planning out more of my forest-based industry, setting up maple and pine orchards for tapping, and clearing space for some fruit trees once I can actually afford the saplings. That may have to wait between the cost of tool upgrades...a better pickaxe is feeling really necessary to make it further into the mines at this point.

Incidentally, is there anything terribly interesting or useful to use pine tar for? I've got it coming from several trees right now and have been alternately stockpiling and selling it but I don't have a bigger picture for it quite yet.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So I'm in quiet a dilemma. Is putting items in your shipping box better than selling them to the stores or visa versa?

I'm still in Spring Year 1 and picking up a lot of those berries but I don't know if it's doing any justice putting them in the box and now I'm questioning all my foraging pickings. Any tips?
Items not sold via your box don't count towards achievements.

Edit: This includes unlocking specific hats tied to milestones.

Brakke

Banned
Incidentally, is there anything terribly interesting or useful to use pine tar for? I've got it coming from several trees right now and have been alternately stockpiling and selling it but I don't have a bigger picture for it quite yet.

Eventually you can craft a Totem to make it rain tomorrow. Costs I think 5 Pine Tar. And it’s used in one of the Animal product processing machines. Not Mayo or Cheese, maybe it’s the Loom or Oil Maker? I forget.

By the time I could craft Rain Totems, I was like half a season away from getting Irridium Sprinklers everywhere. But it is handy for going after rainy-only fish.

Managed to catch all the fish by Fall Year 2. The last ones were in the post community centre areas. Some of the legendary fish were tough but it's all in the matter of having patience and luck.

Also trap bobbers. Lots and lots of trap bobbers.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Game started crashing on winter.

Fuck this.

Just had my first winter sleep save crash as well. Second day. I think I will try to see if I can by, if not I will just wait for a patch...

Edit: Seems like it's an issue with the fridge?

Mediking

Whoops there went my entire evening!

Played through half of my first summer and still feeling like I'm doing a really bad job but oh well. I'm trying to keep my lineup of crops relatively small and manageable but most stuff in the summer seems to take a long time to grow up before giving much yeild, so I've only just started actually regularly getting stuff I can sell. I'm stocking up on my quality hops in the hopes that I'll be able to brew it into something much more interesting later, though I don't currently have the means to do so yet. Finally started to dabble in fishing a bit in the meantime and...ouch it's tough with the default pole. By the time I unlocked the better one, I couldn't afford it after having just finally upgraded my axe. Still no house upgrades or extra buildings either, but I've been tentatively planning out more of my forest-based industry, setting up maple and pine orchards for tapping, and clearing space for some fruit trees once I can actually afford the saplings. That may have to wait between the cost of tool upgrades...a better pickaxe is feeling really necessary to make it further into the mines at this point.

Speaking of that...

Games like these need to realize that having so many things cost alot is very annoying and off-putting. I love this game so far but the limited inventory (before the backpack) is an insult to a newcomer. Its vital to expand your inventory. You can barely hold anything before the backpack. "So here's a price tag to expand your inventory! You just started the game? Who cares!!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Speaking of that...

Games like these need to realize that having so many things cost alot is very annoying and off-putting. I love this game so far but the limited inventory (before the backpack) is an insult to a newcomer. Its vital to expand your inventory. You can barely hold anything before the backpack. "So here's a price tag to expand your inventory! You just started the game? Who cares!!
It's a simple goal to be reached. "Hmmm... I'd like to carry around more stuff. Look, there is a backpack. I'll work towards that."

Fawk Nin

This is my first time playing the game and I don’t really know what I’m doing half the time. I started the game and got to day 12 without parsnips growing because I ran out of water and couldn’t afford a well. Read online and the guide basically said start again and do better.

I’ve started a new run and am doing better than before but still feel like half of the stuff is going over my head. Can I just play it and suss stuff out as I go or is it important to have particular things done by winter etc?

Ventara

This is my first time playing the game and I don't really know what I'm doing half the time. I started the game and got to day 12 without parsnips growing because I ran out of water and couldn't afford a well. Read online and the guide basically said start again and do better.

I've started a new run and am doing better than before but still feel like half of the stuff is going over my head. Can I just play it and suss stuff out as I go or is it important to have particular things done by winter etc?

You can fill up your watering can at one of the little ponds/rivers near your house.

Oh, and you're free to do as you please in this game. No worries there.

Rizzi

Oh dear, after buying Stardew Valley on PC and falling off pretty quickly it finally clicked on the Switch.
It clicked hard.

zigg

Yeah, i had to start taking preparations. Bringing meals, or like 10 cauliflowers or potatoes to beef up my energy + health points. Be sure to visit the Adventurer's Guild for newer swords, and be sure to equip boots/rings for added defense.
Am I equipping them by carrying them? Or am I supposed to do more?

Naar

When I first started the game I got a message from Pierre about expanding my back pack. I'm in year 2 now and still don't see increased inventory item

heringer

When I first started the game I got a message from Pierre about expanding my back pack. I'm in year 2 now and still don't see increased inventory item

What do you mean? You went through the first year with the starting inventory? Holy shit, haha.

Nosgotham

Getting concerned. Had a productive day and a perfect soup at Summer Luau year 2 then the game crashed and quit when I went to bed. First time I'd seen a black Switch crash screen like that.

Played the day again doing to bare minimum, made a perfect soup, went to bed and it saved. Played a full / super productive next day, harvested a hundred coffee beans, bonded in the cemetery with Abigail, and another crash.

I was overdoing it on this game a bit but I may have to take a break if this turns into Groundhog Day, the game.

did you read the posts about how to avoid crashes?

Ventara

It's on the counter beside Pierre at his shop. You have to select it as opposed to talking to Pierre.

Nosgotham

Speaking of that...

youre kidding, right? this comes off as satire but im afraid its not.

Doorman

Speaking of that...

The first backpack was probably the first "major" purchase I had outside of like seed packs because I knew it would be necessary. 2k isn't cheap, but a little saving up isn't too rough.

The next pack at 10k though...no idea when I'll be affording that thing. A backpack the same cost as a house expansion? What kind of economy is this?!

Am I equipping them by carrying them? Or am I supposed to do more?
There are equip-spots next to your character on the inventory screen that you place those items onto to equip them. You have room for a hat, two accessories, and shoes/boots. The only thing you don't directly equip is weaponry.

Struggling the win the kids' friendship.
Halfway through year 2 and Jas still pretends she doesn't know who I am. It hurts.

I gave her some jam for her birthday because I thought that was the one item guaranteed to be liked by a kid and she hated it, I lost my one heart, back to zero.

What the hell do the kids like that's easy to acquire?!

Unai

Struggling the win the kids' friendship.
Halfway through year 2 and Jas still pretends she doesn't know who I am. It hurts.

I gave her some jam for her birthday because I thought that was the one item guaranteed to be liked by a kid and she hated it, I lost my one heart, back to zero.

What the hell do the kids like that's easy to acquire?!

An easy thing she likes are tree fruits. Also Daffodil if you are on spring.

Top Bottom