• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfox Zero impressions

I love what I see. I'm expecting this to turn out like Mario 3D World where it looked underwhelming at E3 but ended up being amazing on release. The game is made by Platinum after all.

Eila

Will be 60 fps, clean looking. Not sure what's with all the criticism on the graphics. They remind me of Smash 4.
Game looks fun.

Blues1990

I'm just glad that this new game doesn't have any of the emotional baggage of the previous Star Fox games, & is otherwise a soft-reboot that is focusing what made the SNES & N64 games so great. (Say what you want, but this is a reboot of the series & it doesn't have "Furry McBlue Dream" sucking all the fun, or an annoying baby triceratops holding you back.)

I saw some building textures that really looked bad when the arwing flew close. They could be place holders, I dunno. I just think it needs more. Hopefully there's time to tweak it.

-Eddman-

Yeah, thanks for the impressions!

I do agree that the graphics in this could be improved, but man, we're fucking getting a Nintendo/Platinum Starfox focused on vehicles, no shitty on foot missions, the classic cast, no shitty friends, solid 60 fps and somehow people are having meltdowns because crappy ground textures, what the hell!

Really hyped for this, hopefully they do improve graphics here and there but I can't wait to play it,

CrisKre

But the low polys tho

I wonder if most people are ok with the speed of the arwing
Once you play the arwing sectios on Zero speed makes sense. You still can steer with the right sick while killing enemies through the cockpit view on the GamePad, so what you are seeing is most people slow down to be able to do so. You also have a zelda like lock on mode to lock on certain, bigger enemies if you so desire, to focus on the cockpit view, but you steel need to steer while doing so.
At one point, fox makes a right turn on an intersection on Corneria, but you can look with the cockpit to your left while you turn to shoot the enemies out of sight because of your turn. Its quite immersive and im sure there will be a lot of secrets that require yo think out of the box like that.

I'm just now getting around to the archived Treehouse Live footage, and the Starfox demonstrations plus these impressions has me even more excited for the game now. I wasn't upset as some were in the initial reveal, and was just glad this game was coming along and was vehicle focused. But playing it just sounds like a delight, as well as mastering it. Really nice.

Chindogg

Once you play the arwing sectios on Zero speed makes sense. You still can steer with the right sick while killing enemies through the cockpit view on the GamePad, so what you are seeing is most people slow down to be able to do so. You also have a zelda like lock on mode to lock on certain, bigger enemies if you so desire, to focus on the cockpit view, but you steel need to steer while doing so.
At one point, fox makes a right turn on an intersection on Corneria, but you can look with the cockpit to your left while you turn to shoot the enemies out of sight because of your turn. Its quite immersive and im sure there will be a lot of secrets that require yo think out of the box like that.

It's shit like this that makes having a GamePad worth it. I really hope more devs do stuff like this in the future for Wii U/NX.

As soon as I saw the Titania gameplay, I was sold. I can't wait to see what else this game has, especially with the Platinum bosses that'll be littered throughout. Titania's scrap worm is already an awesome addition.

Falcs

Banned
Damn, I'm so disappointed. The controls sound and look like shit.
I want the quick aiming precision of the thumb sticks, not shitty, gimmicky, slow-as motion controls...

HoJu

still don't understand the point of the controls. it just seems needlessly convoluted and is inaccessible. it also makes the game less interesting to watch, slower paced, and uglier.

i'm sure that there is a sense of satisfaction when they do work, but isn't that a problem? like i'm sure there is a satisfaction in getting dressed one handed, but why would you want to do that?

CrisKre

still don't understand the point of the controls. it just seems needlessly convoluted and is inaccessible. it also makes the game less interesting to watch, slower paced, and uglier.

i'm sure that there is a sense of satisfaction when they do work, but isn't that a problem? like i'm sure there is a satisfaction in getting dressed one handed, but why would you want to do that?
The point is they are fun? Have you ever owned a remote controlled vehicle as a kid? It seems more physical and realistic to control. Though i understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, id rather have a different game than the same experience with a shine of polish.

Trying to keep an open mind, but it looks rough to me. The motion controls in Splatoon are alright, but you only use them for the Y axis and for minor adjustments, not sure I'm down with using motion controls as my sole way to aim. Everything looks slow-paced so far as well, the sections where you control the robots/ drones seem so tame compared to anything else Platinum has done.

Maybe playing will be believing, but it's hard to get excited from the gameplay they've shown.

The point is they are fun? Have you ever owned a remote controlled vehicle as a kid? It seems more physical and realistic to control. Though i understand it may not be everyone's cup of tea, id rather have a different game than the same experience with a shine of polish.

Every remote controlled car or plane I've ever used feels a lot closer to a typical control-stick driven control scheme.

rc-airplane-transmitter.jpg

These don't feature motion controls.

Neiteio

You can fly one way while shooting in another, for starters. This dramatically expands your mobility and combat options.

And you can turn off gyro, btw -- StreetsAhead translated a tweet from Iwata saying so -- and you can display the cockpit view on the TV at any time by hitting the Minus button.

CrisKre

Trying to keep an open mind, but it looks rough to me. The motion controls in Splatoon are alright, but you only use them for the Y axis and for minor adjustments, not sure I'm down with using motion controls as my sole way to aim. Everything looks slow-paced so far as well, the sections where you control the robots/ drones seem so tame compared to anything else Platinum has done.

Maybe playing will be believing, but it's hard to get excited from the gameplay they've shown.

The paradigm of this game is different than most titles on the genre. It's not just blow shit up fast and flashy, it's more being precise and mastering the controls to just align your vehicle in the right way to blow an enemy up. It's somewhat slower, but for me it was the right balance of fast enough and yet giving that satisfaction of necessitating precision.

Nerokis

I want the quick aiming precision of the thumb sticks, not shitty, gimmicky, slow-as motion controls...

It hasn't been my experience that aiming with a thumb stick is either faster or more precise than aiming with motion controls...

CrisKre

Every remote controlled car or plane I've ever used feels a lot closer to a typical control-stick driven control scheme.

rc-airplane-transmitter.jpg

These don't feature motion controls.

Cool. Now imagine your vehicle went into a sewer and it has a camera attached to it. While plus, as i said, somehow you can still play Starfox 64 style on the tv screen.

Cool. Now imagine your vehicle went into a sewer and it has a camera attached to it. While plus, as i said, somehow you can still play Starfox 64 style on the tv screen.

Even with a camera attached and in a sewer, flying a remote-control plane is nothing like Star Fox's motion controls.

Glad you can play with "classic" controls though, thought I read it was motion only.

anothertech

This worries me a bit. Getting the hang of remote control can be quite frustrating.

If the learning curve is steep, it might turn even more gamers away.

The visuals are the hardest part for me to swallow. I was the biggest Starfox fan. Feel like the wait was forever. And after all that time I guess my expectations were beyond the scope of reality.

I'm guessing you haven't played Splatoon if you think sticks are more accurate than stick + gyro.

Thanks for the impressions OP. The footage I've seen looks rough, both from a visual and gameplay standpoint, which concerns me. But I have faith EAD and Platinum will get the game into shape by launch.

What stinks is that many videos showcase players who are completely unaccustomed to gyro aiming and the resulting footage casts the game in a negative light. Many people simply assume the controls must be bad instead of wondering if the player just sucks at them.

Edit: hah, I posted a Gamexplain vid supposedly showing off the gyro controls, but on closer inspection I think the gyro was off. Oops! I don't know what to think about the controls in this game anymore. Hopefully they're as good as Splatoon's.

Tookay

I feel like this game has gotten unfairly singled out to bear the sins of the Digital Event and that's really too bad. It seems like it's the dream sequel to SF64, with some Platinum sensibility in there. I appreciate the impressions, OP.

CrisKre

Even with a camera attached and in a sewer, flying a remote-control plane is nothing like Star Fox's motion controls.

Glad you can play with "classic" controls though, thought I read it was motion only.
The controls have been alerted to be more like remote controlling a vehicle. Especially the new vehicles. But to some extent the arwing too. Now rolls, speed boost and break, 180 and 360 turns and vertical turns are all done with the right stick.

ramparter

Banned
I wanted to make this thread to give my impressions of what i played of this game on the show today because it really struck me as one of the most refreshing takes on how to make a sequel defying (and in my opinion exceeding) expectations and i think many are not really understanding what's the appeal of this title. I played this pretty extensively today and the first thing i should say it's that being a Starfox veteran, at first i REALLY sucked at it, and got better and better the more I played and the more I understood how to properly juggle all the different elements that make this sequel.

So here go my impressions: This is Starfox with enough new to have you relearn the a-b-c,that feels familiar yet had a level of complexity other titles in the series lack, and it all just felt very elegant once it clicked. There are a ton of little surprises that the cockpit view and transformations allow. Also, the music is sublime. 

When i pictured a sequel, i always tought bigger and badder set pieces was the way to go. They took it in a completely different direction (although bigger and badder is still somewhat present), and made just the experience of flying the arwing feel fresh. It's almost like getting a bunch of remote controlled toys. Due to this, it's not as snappy and intuitive add previous games in the series. Its somewhat slower and requires great coordination. Picture controlling a remote controlled car or helicopter. It almost feels like Starfox combined with some magnified elements of Steel Diver (which makes sense given Miyamotos involvement). The enemies are not wrongly placed (like some people seem to be inducing by looking at videos), by the mere fact that piloting the vehicles is a bit more of a challenge, yet rewarding. Once you kill them there is a great sense of accomplishment in managing both screens and mobility. Don't judge it only by what's on the screen. The input of controls here makes a HUGE difference. The most astonishing thing about this is while all of this is taking place, the classic Starfox gameplay can still be enjoyed by looking soley at the tv (and as a matter of fact it seems the game encourages you to alternate, at will, between looking only at the tv and expanding the gameplay with cockpit view and transformations should you want to look for secrets or alternate ways of completing missions).

It was the most fun I had at the show so far, and frankly, it's amazing. 
This is what I wanted to hear. I don't mind the f.... graphics, I just want this to be a great game that stands out when you play it. I will keep my eye on this game and wait until it's release to finally decide if I want this.

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

>dual-stick controls
>quick and precise

Yeah, you're either trolling or utterly delusional. Twin-stick controls are garbage.

Neiteio

The controls have been alerted to be more like remote controlling a vehicle. Especially the new vehicles. But to some extent the arwing too. Now rolls, speed boost and break, 180 and 360 turns and vertical turns are all done with the left stick.
You mean right stick, right?

Baleoce

Day 1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the soundtrack OP. Would you say if had an original sound, or did it harken back to any previous style, like the area of n64 games?

CrisKre

Day 1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the soundtrack OP. Would you say if had an original sound, or did it harken back to any previous style, like the area of n64 games?
The main song is different it seems, and epic, but there are 64 tunes to be heard as well. To my untrained ear it seems at least partly orchestrated.

Jessmo111

Banned
Wouldn't these mechanics make for a great modern Choplifter game? Or even another real time advance wars type. I just realized how awsome wiiu is for piloting games. I almost slipped into a bout of depression, after that direct. This game heals.me.

watershed

Banned
From watching some hands-on videos and reading some previews, my concern is that the controls are overly complicated while the visuals are overly simple. I am not fond of games where I feel like I am fighting the controls, like half of my experience with KI:Uprising. At the same time the simple geometry and simple designs are kind of underwhelming. The added elements like the chicken walker and the helicopter are kind of odd to me too. I don't know, I feel like Nintendo have taken Star Fox in a direction that does not make what was great about the previous entries better.

I really liked what I saw too, it feels like a genuine Star Fox game after those three stinkers running away from the series's known formula, this time they got it right. The overreacting on the graphics was annoying, as they totally overlook the gameplay though.

A Nintendo/Platinum co-work can't do no wrong, I have high expectations for this game and I'm very glad it looks great gameplay-wise. Graphics can be improved over the time, something Nintendo and Platinum have the time at their disposal.

I hope it manages to be a succesful revival, after all the cynism and apologism against it around here on GAF.

SuomiDude

Good to hear from someone actually playing and giving it a chance. I knew the game would rock, the moment I saw first seconds of the trailer on ND. Can't wait to get my hands on it later this year. The game really seems to offer something new and rewards you for doing so. It's not just beating a level, bu how you do it. And trying to get high scores is a great way (from SF64) to give even more replay value.

Videoneon

The game will at least be pretty good; I'm more worried about the fact that it is almost certainly going to bomb. I don't want that for the Star Fox franchise.

So I'm just now catching up on some of the Treehouse Live segments I missed from Day 2. For those who missed it, they showed off a new stage that had neither been presented nor made available on the show floor. Here it is.

I thought I recognized the Space Armada Core in the Digital Event trailer, and it turns out I was right: the Armada is back, and the flagship is instantly recognizable. But in place of the long, circuitous flight into the core (one of my favourite moments in the original game and the kind of long, suspenseful interlude that designers just don't do anymore) there is now a Walker segment.

I suppose I'm part of the minority in that the SNES Star Fox is a whole lot dearer to me than SF64 (the music, the voices, the crazier stage elements, the paper planes, the quiet foreboding), but the prospect of revisiting it with a new and versatile form of interaction has me very intrigued. For a game that is predominantly on rails, it looks like there will be a lot of freedom to how you approach the challenges via how the vehicles handle. I think I've finally been pushed from mildly curious to outright excited.

CrisKre

So I'm just now catching up on some of the Treehouse Live segments I missed from Day 2. For those who missed it, they showed off a new stage that had neither been presented nor made available on the show floor. Here it is.

I thought I recognized the Space Armada Core in the Digital Event trailer, and it turns out I was right: the Armada is back, and the flagship is instantly recognizable. But in place of the long, circuitous flight into the core (one of my favourite moments in the original game and the kind of long, suspenseful interlude that designers just don't do anymore) there is now a Walker segment.

I suppose I'm part of the minority in that the SNES Star Fox is a whole lot dearer to me than SF64 (the music, the voices, the crazier stage elements, the paper planes, the quiet foreboding), but the prospect of revisiting it with a new and versatile form of interaction has me very intrigued. For a game that is predominantly on rails, it looks like there will be a lot of freedom to how you approach the challenges via how the vehicles handle. I think I've finally been pushed from mildly curious to outright excited.

Funny you mention this, the original Starfox is one of my favorite games of all time, both in tonality and how fresh out felt. I will say that playing this today brought a little bit of that back. Just like the original, which i recall sucking at upon first playing it, this feels new in many ways. I guess it brings the best of both, the original and 64 for what ive seen. One aspect i hope is more like the OG Starfox is the music. One of the best OST ever and highly superior to 64, IMO.

Majestad

Banned
I watched some of the footage and this looks fucking great. I have been waiting for a proper Star Fox since Assault, and this seems to be it.

Top Bottom