• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfox Zero impressions

Crayolan

This sounds great, and I was already impressed by the gameplay. I've never played a Starfox game, but I'm excited.

do-a-barrel-roll.gif

lol

Phoenixus

Thanks for the impressions. I preordered as soon as Platinum were confirmed involved, but knowing this looks to be the true successor to Lylat Wars (always been a cooler name goddamnit) makes me very excited.

Oddish1

I think it will do decent given that is wii u flagship title for the holidays with super mario maker. I'm more concerned for xenoblade tbh.

I hope I'm just imagining it but it seems like the so far the game only appeals to people who want more Star Fox 64, and there's nothing wrong with people wanting more Star Fox 64, it's just I'm not sure it offers much to people outside that group.

at first i REALLY sucked at it, and got better and better the more I played and the more I understood how to properly juggle all the different elements that make this sequel.

so, it's A Platinum Game and we shouldn't trust the opinions of game journalists who are usually bad at games and don't put the time into learning a game's mechanics. Just about what I expected.

Greddleok

Platinum are helping with a rail shooter? From their previous attempts in Bayonetta1/2 and W101 I think that's kind of worrying. Those sections were awful!

@MUWANdo

Banned
so, it's A Platinum Game and we shouldn't trust the opinions of game journalists who are usually bad at games and don't put the time into learning a game's mechanics. Just about what I expected.

The controls and core conceit of this game have been in place for a long time, including before Platinum came on board. They're a junior partner on this game.

CrisKre

I hope I'm just imagining it but it seems like the so far the game only appeals to people who want more Star Fox 64, and there's nothing wrong with people wanting more Star Fox 64, it's just I'm not sure it offers much to people outside that group.
Starfox 64 appealed to a lot of people. Even the remake on 3ds sold very very well.

Oddish1

Starfox 64 appealed to a lot of people. Even the remake on 3ds sold very very well.

I didn't know the 3ds game sold well, do you have a source? Perhaps I'm just overthinking it, I'm certainly interested in the game and the impressions I've read sound good.

If splatoon aint bomb i bet money this wont bomb

Splatoon has far more mainstream appeal than Star Fox has ever had.

I'm really not expecting this game to do well but whatever. I'm buying it on day one and will be incredibly happy to have a new Star Fox game before the series goes on hiatus for another decade.

iMerc

thanks for the impressions. game sounds great.
as someone who loved the cheesy plot of star fox, i'm just wondering, chronology-wise, where this sits. i don't want them to ignore the events of sf64 & assault...

danwu

Banned

It should appeal to you if you like fast action games and arcade style games.

phanphare

Banned
I was a little underwhelmed at first but then I saw the Treehouse footage

definitely got me excited for the game and the little chicken/raptor transformation actually seems really interesting

I'm in

also just to respond to people saying the game looks "flat", this is true. however I usually associate the word "flat" with lighting and that's something that always improves over time with Nintendo games. I feel like if they improve the lighting the game would look much better, even if everything else stays the same.

v1oz

Graphically it looks lacking. It looks like a super clean HD version of Star Fox 64. The ships models could do with more detail. Nintendo has made some great looking games this generation which is why Star Fox disappoints me.

big_z

is there any footage where you can clearly hear slippy? I want to know if they gave him the good n64 voice or not.

psylah

Graphically it looks lacking. It looks like a super clean HD version of Star Fox 64. The ships models could do with more detail. Nintendo has made some great looking games this generation which is why Star Fox disappoints me.

They should have stuck with the puppet motif.

BKSmash

Love the impressions!

I've been waiting for this game since first playing Adventures waaaay back when I was a pre-teen. So freaking excited about this game!!

TheFatMan

I gotta say the visuals look terrible for this game. The giant pieces of ship or whatever that is falling from the sky look like they are floating down to the surface or something. Shit being destroyed is just straight clipping through the ground and disappearing. The animations are terrible. What is this 2005?

Honestly, if this wasn't titled Starfox I have a feeling no one would care.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
it's not as snappy and intuitive add previous games in the series. Its somewhat slower and requires great coordination.
Funnily enough, this comment, while meant as a positive, is a huge downer to me. The game looked rad at the conference and I intended on buying it on launch day, but now I think I need to try the game first. I hate complicated controls.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Direct showing but having seen a longer play live stream and commentary on it in the past few days, it has gone up in my estimation of it.

Pinky

Banned
I was slightly underwhelmed by the reveal, but these impressions sound encouraging. I'll be keeping my eye on the game from here on out.

phanphare

Banned
Damn, I'm so disappointed. The controls sound and look like shit.
I want the quick aiming precision of the thumb sticks, not shitty, gimmicky, slow-as motion controls...

the quick precision of......thumb sticks? motion controls......slow?

lol, ok

Darn you Treehouse, you're doing it to me again!
Some of the graphics feel like placeholders like the water and searchlights. We'll see if those get upgraded.

JoeInky

Fox's design is slowly improving.

They got rid of the sausage finger gloves and although he still looks more Star Corgi than Star Fox in the head department, it's a bit better than it used to be.

The rest look good though, not really many changes in their designs, Falco has gone back to the 64-esque design which is fine by me.

Davey Cakes

I figured this would be the case.

People act like Miyamoto is out of his mind and should retire. If anything, his input is still valuable when it comes to fun and refreshing gameplay. People are too quick to judge.

Nintendo games in general are quite often cases of "playing is believing."

Mithos

Any videos of the game, that doesn't make it look like a last-gen game on Wii?

Youtube videos are horrible.

Top Bottom