• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk (Closed) Beta Testing thread of impressions and questions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Running back with the flag in that dead space map kinda sucks. At least I took out Narutofan or whatever the hell he's called with a turret near their base and returning with the flag near that turret for fire support. Made me feel kickass.

I'm not sure I'm going to buy this: While I like the mech/warhawk flipping thing, I can do most of this in Warhawk and like Warhawk I'm dying over and over and over and over with no kills and my buildings getting destroyed. Makes me feel like I'm not progressing anywhere in the match nor helping the team despite throwing myself at the enemy only to die without taking them out. :/

PhiLonius

Got my first match in. Getting somewhat of a SW:Battlefront vibe from this, which is definitely a good thing. Liking it so far. The build and battle stuff seems interesting and I'm looking forward to testing that out more. Of course the second I get into a Hawk to test that out, we win the match.

Played a few rounds. A very positive experience so far. Absolutely love the build mechanic. Gunplay is a lot more solid than Warhawk and the melee feels really good. Haven't had too much time in the vehicles but they do seem a little slow and I am not seeing too much dog-fighting which is a shame.

The maps are really small so I hope that they are modular like Warhawk. But the lay out of the maps seems pretty good and allows for a lot of build options and thus far I haven't noticed any huge exploits.

Sound design needs to be beefed up - but this might just be a beta issue.

With a few more layers of polish this game will be incredible. It will be interesting to see how the Warhawk player base and new players take to the build-and-battle mechanic.

Well tried to connect to my first game, PS3 froze and seem to be running some sort of diagnostics on the hard drive now. Fantastic first impression :p

GamerSciz

I just got my beta code in the email from IGN Prime. Will be downloading this evening. See you all on!

FYI: For anyone who is in it already...is there anything in the NDA or ToS about posting private beta footage? I have noticed some people have vids on youtube that haven't gotten taken down so I assume it's ok.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
If the framerate could stay stable I think I'd be having a lot more fun in this. Building mechanic seems cool. Plus, transforming mechs and jetpacks? SOLD.

GamerSciz

Sweet. Got it downloading now. Needed to find out if this will be my go to MP game '12

I try not to have a "go to" MP game. I keep switching up between 3 or 4 from PS3 to PC. Even still, I am excited to try out this game tonight. Hopefully the learning curve isn't as large as Warhawk. I loved that when it came out but then I played some other games and by the time I got back to it I felt like it was Day 1 again and I had no chance...

For the people who just got the beta, keep in mind this is a PRE-Beta. This isn't even the real beta for the game, they've stripped out alot of things that will be in the official beta. Then there are things that may not even be put in the beta that will be in the game. I guess that's why I'm in bugfix-post mode, I'm not even thinking about buying down the line because this won't even be close to the final product.

Soooooooooo many n00bs playing right now. Everyone is building these ramshackle poorly thought out fortresses, multiples of the same structures next to each other, etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
For the people who just got the beta, keep in mind this is a PRE-Beta. This isn't even the real beta for the game, they've stripped out alot of things that will be in the official beta. Then there are things that may not even be put in the beta that will be in the game. I guess that's why I'm in bugfix-post mode, I'm not even thinking about buying down the line because this won't even be close to the final product.

Oh, I know. Like I said: I like what's there, but like Warhawk I never feel like I'm helping the team even if I die thousands of times. I just feel like shit and "man, what the fuck" when Warhawks/Mechs come in and destroy my shit. Probably because of better/longer playing players. Same thing as Warhawk: There's no "level/skill level" balance thing for the server browser. *shrug*

That and IMO the building is too slow. I can put up a bunch of turrets but all of a sudden a Warhawk is able to take them down because this dude seems to be able to gain six times the amount of build stuff that I don't get because I'm sticking to the base playing Engineer. :/

I try not to have a "go to" MP game. I keep switching up between 3 or 4 from PS3 to PC. Even still, I am excited to try out this game tonight. Hopefully the learning curve isn't as large as Warhawk. I loved that when it came out but then I played some other games and by the time I got back to it I felt like it was Day 1 again and I had no chance...

There was no "learning curve" to Warhawk outside of the rudimentary mastery of the core game mechanics. After that it is, as somebody else pointed out, very much an arcade game. People that keep playing are going to be the better players. It's simple.

Ignoring weenies that abused normal flight glitches.

Oh, I know. Like I said: I like what's there, but like Warhawk I never feel like I'm helping the team even if I die thousands of times. I just feel like shit and "man, what the fuck" when Warhawks/Mechs come in and destroy my shit. Probably because of better/longer playing players. Same thing as Warhawk: There's no "level/skill level" balance thing for the server browser. *shrug*

That and IMO the building is too slow. I can put up a bunch of turrets but all of a sudden a Warhawk is able to take them down because this dude seems to be able to gain six times the amount of build stuff that I don't get because I'm sticking to the base playing Engineer. :/

If you want to be an engineer, then don't stick in the main base. In the Space Map try to move to one of the bridge levels or center of the map. You can farm RE from the barrels in line of fire and fortify these locations.

On the Acid Sea you want to go to that corner with over the bridge where there are six barrels of RE and set up a base of operations there.

Also make sure to use jeeps, jetpacks, and hawks to mine RE on Acid Sea.

I feel your pain about not being a KDR god, and I'm a bit annoyed that the beta and core design of this game has such an emphasis on good teamwork; but points are still skewed toward KDR gods and flag cap jocks.

That's one thing I feel Lightbox needs to adjust in this beta period to increase the importance of TEAM PLAY in this game. I spend most of the games building awesome fortifications for my team, or destroying enemy BnB stuff and I get hosed in the end game points.

If teamwork is the core aspect of your game; then reward team players. There are minor concessions to team players; but looking at score boards you'll see who is earning the most points and it's not team players.

Any one else having problems connecting to games right now? It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to sit through the long-ass main menu screen animation each time I'm kicked.

Hopefully I can try it out shortly. Wife watching a show ATM.
... y'know not that I'd suggest anything but...

women_place.gif

:p

Don't hate if I suck! First time playing! lol

Crap. Room is full.

I keep on getting "failed to connect" as well. :(

Here's what you need to know:

Rift Energy barrels are important. Shoot them get rift energy. On Acid Sea RE is rich on both sides of the bridges. On the Space map RE barrels is rich near the center of the map. Maps are symmetrical, so when you know what is on one side; it's the same only reversed on the other side of the map. Six barrels total. FARM IT!

Save your rift energy for a POD BEACON.

Move as far into the map as you can and drop a pod beacon behind something safe and indestructible. Don't make it an easy target for the other team.

Try to fortify your pod beacon with a supply depot. This way team mates that spawn there can get useful weapons to kill dudes with their dope ass shit.

If you build walls around crap, then go to the yellow glowing square and choose UPGRADE TO GATE. Sick of noobs building walls I can't get into on my team. If you build a retarded maze of walls that the team can't get through then that just gives the enemy more time to GTFO with your flag.

There is no I in team! >:|

GAF server shut down? WTF man, I was swatting jetpack jerks down like flies and building a space island paradise. MY FIGHT MONEYYYY!

Damn, Frankman left. That was fun.

GAF server shut down? WTF man, I was swatting jetpack jerks down like flies and building a space island paradise. MY FIGHT MONEYYYY!

Hey I think I was the guy on the island swatting down jetpackers with you! I moved into their base and was getting ready to take down the bubble shield.

Trevelyan

Banned
I played one game when the server went up with you guys. Was a hell of a lot of fun. Game is going to be great come retail release.

Ugh.. the melee is lame. Bringing back memories of cod melee bullshit.

What, you don't like the close quarter WIN BUTTON? :O

Yeah they need to nerf that big time. I don't even bother shooting anymore in close. I just run and stab until I get away or somebody manages to kill me.

Guns are total crap. Combine the garbage guns with generous health regeneration and the game is just a huge pain in the ass. It's tough as hell to rack up any significant damage if the opponent can just duck behind a wall for a few seconds.

They ought to just bring back the health power ups and biofield generators. Crap weapons and overly generous health regen are killing the game. :(

I told Frankman, but the password doesn't work. It will allow you to input one, but it doesn't matter. So just start a room and call it what you want.

Sea Manky was showing me the beta and we set a password to keep it private. Then we let the game on and started having a conversation, next thing you know Manky notices there's some dude in the room and then other people started coming in. Meanwhile the internet was listening to us chat. :O

LOL LOL LOL

redhot_

What, you don't like the close quarter WIN BUTTON? :O

Yeah they need to nerf that big time. I don't even bother shooting anymore in close. I just run and stab until I get away or somebody manages to kill me.

Guns are total crap. Combine the garbage guns with generous health regeneration and the game is just a huge pain in the ass. It's tough as hell to rack up any significant damage if the opponent can just duck behind a wall for a few seconds.

They ought to just bring back the health power ups and biofield generators. Crap weapons and overly generous health regen are killing the game. :(

Lol frustrates the hell out of me. So I started rolling with rockets and a jet pack after getting sliced a bunch.

Comeatmebro.jpg

I didn't leave, the PS3 froze. Same thing happens in Warhawk occasionally.
I told Frankman, but the password doesn't work. It will allow you to input one, but it doesn't matter. So just start a room and call it what you want.
Errr... I've never done a password room since you can't. The area is darkened out.

A.R.K

Got my code today, won't be able to download till later in the week. Quick question, does the beta has split screen option? Have a friend visiting and it would be sweet if we both could get online in the beta.

Man, barrels in this game are the toughest barrels in a video game EVER!

I've taken to just grenading the damned things at the start to speed up my ability to poop out a pod beacon then supply bunker.

Air combat is so slow. D:

I managed to shoot down several foes tonight, feels good man! I love shooting bastards and none of this missiles crapping out of their ass while they're fleeing. :D

That said, air speed needs to be increased massively. Dogfights are super sluggish. The relative sense of speed you get going from ground to air is out of whack.

Every vehicle's gun seems to overheat too damned easily too. I'd rather just have a magazine with X amount of bullets like the Jeep on the Razorback.

Walls and other buildings also need weak spots for people to attack. This crap of taking forever and a day to destroy a pod beacon or sniper tower is nuts. For instance, the dome of the pod beacon should be the weak spot.

I'm really not digging how ineffective weapons are against objects. Warhawk had a pretty good rock, paper, scissors scheme in place. Starhawk doesn't really have that yet. Then again there may be a flame thrower or something else we haven't seen yet that will make wrecking the enemies day easier.

Foxix Von

If anyone uses sony's RLS site they've got beta codes up for anyone who fills out a couple quizzes.

Downloading now :D Thanks again RLS.

Number45

I got an invite but the code doesn't work for me, I'm assuming it's because back when I played WH I used my US PSN account and I've now moved wholesale to my UK account. :(

IMBored

I had the beta code 8 days in my inbox before I saw it :(
And only now, with 20+ games, almost level three I'm learning about rift barrels. The only pickup I ever saw was the repair gun, mostly because I spend all the time in my base sprucing it up, or on my warhawk.
Some kind of manual would be really welcomed for noobs in the beta, and the pick ups should be better marked.
On the warhawk front I understand why they remove hovering, it really nerfs the air to ground superiority they had in WH. I only wish that launch pad and warhawks themselves where cheaper, at most there's 2 for each team flying around, I hope that a warhawk only map will be possible.
Also, is the 16 players limit only for the beta, or for the released game? (I noticed the space map had the small description).

Donos

I got an invite but the code doesn't work for me, I'm assuming it's because back when I played WH I used my US PSN account and I've now moved wholesale to my UK account. :(
To redeem the code you need a us account but after the download you can play it on your other accounts.

GodofWine

The only pickup I ever saw was the repair gun,....Also, is the 16 players limit only for the beta, or for the released game? (I noticed the space map had the small description).

I was going to ask 'how to repair' today, I was in a game "Dogfight Practice Server" and of course i was getting owned on (never good at dog fighting in Warhawk..), and I landed my flaming hawk, and the other guy landed, and I thought, well..goodbye cruel world as I stood there watching the lumbering beast move towards me as I stood exposed next to my hawk.

Then he jumps out, and repairs my hawk, and takes off, allowing me to return to the 'Dogfight'...now thats good Pre-Beta sportsmanship.

Full game is 16v16 on large maps I believe..

Top Bottom